O.R. rep charge for dropped hardware?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what is everyone seeing reps do if a screw, anchor, or something similar falls on the floor or doesn't work out for whatever reason during a case? Are they charging for it or writing it off? I have seen reps go both ways, just wondering if there is a trend on this?

Members don't see this ad.

So what is everyone seeing reps do if a screw, anchor, or something similar falls on the floor or doesn't work out for whatever reason during a case? Are they charging for it or writing it off? I have seen reps go both ways, just wondering if there is a trend on this?
Like you mentioned, I've seen it go both ways. If it is a bigger case and a bunch of other stuff is being used, I tend to see them write it off more often, but if I'm only using a screw or something, I think it tends to be charged more often. Just anecdotal observation. Some reps are definitely cooler than others.

They get a commission for how much they sell... But do you want to use their product again...?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see them in the corner tweeting, "@DR. Butterfingers doing his thing." #twosmallcleanscrewsarebetterthanonebigdirtyone #extrascrewsbabyneedsanewpairofshoes #holidaybonuscomesearly

I think it depends on the Rep and maybe your relationship with him or her, kind of like getting a "bro-deal" at your favorite bike or ski shop.

Reactions: 1 user
I tell them not to charge it and leave it at that. Not sure if its JCAHO rules or hospital dependent but if it was never implanted then it can be sterilized and reused.