NYU vs SIUE (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DK2

Reaction score
So I already paid the deposit for NYU and about to sign for an apt but SIUE just gave me an acceptance call.
Here are the pros and cons from my perspective:

School 1: NYU
Pros:
  • Prestige of having a DDS degree from one of the Top 5 dental schools in the nation
  • Experience living in an urban area and in NY
  • Will be able to negotiate a higher salary at corporate dental groups leveraging NYU dental degree. Especially in locations they are desperate in.
  • If I'm going to suffer in dental school, at least I will be suffering in one of the greatest cities in the world
  • Many opportunities to make new friends and develop connections
Cons:
  • Will graduate with roughly $250k of debt
  • I wont get to bring my car

School 2: Southern Illinois University In-State
Pros:
  • Low cost of tuition/living
    • Basically will graduate with no student debt as parents will pay for everything
  • 3 hours away from my parents home
  • I will get to bring my car that I love very much (profile pic)
  • Smaller class size (doesn't matter as much for me, but I know people make a big deal out of it)
Cons:
  • Location of school and living area
  • Will have to burn all the NYU merchandise and scrubs I purchased
If anyone has pros and cons, or any advice (other than "go to the cheaper school") please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What he takes from the pot now won’t be there when the will is read
Firstly, I don't think my parents will die for another 30-40 years.
And although inheritance is nice, but after supporting me through dental school, I think I would want my parents to enjoy the money they earned throughout their life during their remaining years instead of just saving it for me when they die.
Neither of my parents inherited anything from my grandparents when they passed and they're still fine.

ait is this post a joke?...there’s no way you could think NYU is in the top five best dental schools. It is one of the top five worst dental schools IMO. Go to your state school you won’t regret it.
Can you tell me more on why you think its the worst? The worst thing I heard so far is that it has a really tough clinical reqs.
And I don't personally think NYU is in the top 5. I'm just basing the statement off of what I read thru online journals.

I think people were missing the point of my post:
Yes, I know no debt is better, but so are memories and youthful experiences (at least to me).

I made this post to see if people who actually went/go to or know somebody that does go to the schools (or similar schools) has any insight on their student life and their schooling experience that's not a reiteration of what adcoms tell us. Anyone can read a tuition sheet and a pamphlet.

So I already paid the deposit for NYU and about to sign for an apt but SIUE just gave me an acceptance call.
Here are the pros and cons from my perspective:

School 1: NYU
Pros:
  • Prestige of having a DDS degree from one of the Top 5 dental schools in the nation
  • Experience living in an urban area and in NY
  • Will be able to negotiate a higher salary at corporate dental groups leveraging NYU dental degree. Especially in locations they are desperate in.
  • If I'm going to suffer in dental school, at least I will be suffering in one of the greatest cities in the world
  • Many opportunities to make new friends and develop connections
Cons:
  • Will graduate with roughly $250k of debt
  • I wont get to bring my car

School 2: Southern Illinois University In-State
Pros:
  • Low cost of tuition/living
    • Basically will graduate with no student debt as parents will pay for everything
  • 3 hours away from my parents home
  • I will get to bring my car that I love very much (profile pic)
  • Smaller class size (doesn't matter as much for me, but I know people make a big deal out of it)
Cons:
  • Location of school and living area
  • Will have to burn all the NYU merchandise and scrubs I purchased
If anyone has pros and cons, or any advice (other than "go to the cheaper school") please let me know.
  1. Definitely not top 5. Ranking is for dental schools generally based by research.
  2. 4 years fly by and yeah you could have good time, but not many people get to fully enjoy unless you are opting to do bare minimum to pass.
  3. Very wrong about negotiating higher salaries. In fact, in my company, both NYU grads are earning much less than me, one potentially difference close to 100k. Generally, you can negotiate higher salaries or percentages when you are a good producer/employee and you are making ton of money for the company or owner. No one gives two s**ts where you graduated from. In fact, if you graduated from "Harvard" but you only produce 500-1000 a day, no one would hire you. You should be thankful to be employed at that point. I do know this dentist form NYU that is killing it as an associate, but not because he is from "NYU" but because he is naturally, clinically good.
  4. Greatest city? Did you even visit there? It's always go go go , streets smell like piss/**** all the time and now with increased asian hate crimes, I wouldn't call it "great".
  5. You will make great friends any school you go to.
If you have any real life experience or business sense, having no debt should give you
  1. Ability to put more money into retirement / retire years earlier.
  2. Not be burdened to work 5-6 days a week because you have a debt and need to make that "minimum" payment to get rid of it.
    1. If you work less, you will be physically and mentally less burnt out, less chance of getting disabled and have a longer enjoyable working years.
  3. Assuming you would do 10 year plan, your monthly loan repayment from NYU would be roughly 2-2.5k. That's easy at least 24k yearly money that you could.
    1. buy new toys or parts for your car
    2. Invest early in good CEs, which will let you attack higher fee cases.
    3. Take more frequent vacation if you need.
But it seems like you already decided your choice, so please go to NYU.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you a student at NYU or know someone who goes there?
I know a bunch of d2s and d3s at nyu

Edit: Feel like i should elaborate. For starters, while the hate NYU gets is a bit exaggerated like how half the classes are failing and remediating, it is true that a bigger than normal percentage have to remediate. Clinics are apparently a massive mess right now and there is no plan to get it back on track. There is a large percentage of faculty extremely frustrated with administration and apparently it shows in classes (Thats what I was told im not really sure what that means exactly though)

All of my friends told me that if I only get into NYU, then go and dont bother wasting another cycle because its not that bad of a school. But if i get into another school, then go there without any other thoughts.

You're expecting going to NYU to be this grand incredible experience where you get to live in nyc and meet all these rich successful people you can network with. As someone who was raised in and still currently lives in NYC, i can tell you firsthand that the city is absolutely dead, there is little to no nightlife, rampant homelessness, streets smell horrid, I can go on and on. You wont be able to network and meet with these wall street finance guys because its a closed circle that you have to work your way into and you wont be able to do that because you'll be grinding hard for dental school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
  1. Definitely not top 5. Ranking is for dental schools generally based by research.
  2. 4 years fly by and yeah you could have good time, but not many people get to fully enjoy unless you are opting to do bare minimum to pass.
  3. Very wrong about negotiating higher salaries. In fact, in my company, both NYU grads are earning much less than me, one potentially difference close to 100k. Generally, you can negotiate higher salaries or percentages when you are a good producer/employee and you are making ton of money for the company or owner. No one gives two s**ts where you graduated from. In fact, if you graduated from "Harvard" but you only produce 500-1000 a day, no one would hire you. You should be thankful to be employed at that point. I do know this dentist form NYU that is killing it as an associate, but not because he is from "NYU" but because he is naturally, clinically good.
  4. Greatest city? Did you even visit there? It's always go go go , streets smell like piss/**** all the time and now with increased asian hate crimes, I wouldn't call it "great".
  5. You will make great friends any school you go to.
If you have any real life experience or business sense, having no debt should give you
  1. Ability to put more money into retirement / retire years earlier.
  2. Not be burdened to work 5-6 days a week because you have a debt and need to make that "minimum" payment to get rid of it.
    1. If you work less, you will be physically and mentally less burnt out, less chance of getting disabled and have a longer enjoyable working years.
  3. Assuming you would do 10 year plan, your monthly loan repayment from NYU would be roughly 2-2.5k. That's easy at least 24k yearly money that you could.
    1. buy new toys or parts for your car
    2. Invest early in good CEs, which will let you attack higher fee cases.
    3. Take more frequent vacation if you need.
But it seems like you already decided your choice, so please go to NYU.
why don't you listen to this big brain here. Couldn't have said better myself, even if I was god. Dude, you understand what is happening in the world right now? And you want to put money into a dying profession that is raped by taxes/insurance/material companies and anyone trying to get a buck. How will you compete with boomers who aren't retiring and private equity conglomerates that leverage buy out an entire array of practices, with capital that never ends. They have bargaining power, ability to influence insurance companies and even legislation, a never ending supply of dentists with loans up the butt etc

Reactions: 1 users
I agree the fiscally responsible decision would be to go to SIUE.

but when you have money you can afford to go wherever you want.

most people here are discussing a difference of 200-300k as if it will significantly hamper OPs future. Truth is, OP will be fine no matter what. He drives a 100k+ Porsche. As a college student! You think his parents don’t have more money to “loan” him to start a business or pay off his remaining debts???

when he inherits all of his parents’ assets/money and is well off because he had the capital to open multiple offices, you think he’s going to stress over 250k!?

The 250k will not stop him from doing anything in life. Sure it would be nice to have an extra 250k because money is money.. but when you come from money, money isn’t always everything

Reactions: 1 user