NYU College of Dentistry Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

how do you take 25 units in the summer tho?

Max I took ever was 12 that was like MAX.
The Fall/summer classes don’t all start or end at the same time so it’s not necessarily 25 credit hours during the summer. This is what we’ve had so far:
-health informatics: start and end during orientation
-building blocks of life (biochemistry): start summer, end summer
-cellular organelles: start summer, end beginning of fall semester
-embryology: start summer, end summer
-health promotion and disease, start summer, ends October
-assessment skills towards professional growth: start summer, end spring
-Professionalism and Ethics in healthcare: start summer, end summer
-Practice of dentistry: start summer, end spring
-dental anatomy and occlusion: start end of summer, end fall
-basic tissues: start and end in fall
-head and neck anatomy: start and end in fall
-CPR: start and end in September

It’s challenging to keep up with all the work that’s thrown at you, but staying organized and on top of the work as it comes really helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The Fall/summer classes don’t all start or end at the same time so it’s not necessarily 25 credit hours during the summer. This is what we’ve had so far:
-health informatics: start and end during orientation
-building blocks of life (biochemistry): start summer, end summer
-cellular organelles: start summer, end beginning of fall semester
-embryology: start summer, end summer
-health promotion and disease, start summer, ends October
-assessment skills towards professional growth: start summer, end spring
-Professionalism and Ethics in healthcare: start summer, end summer
-Practice of dentistry: start summer, end spring
-dental anatomy and occlusion: start end of summer, end fall
-basic tissues: start and end in fall
-head and neck anatomy: start and end in fall
-CPR: start and end in September

It’s challenging to keep up with all the work that’s thrown at you, but staying organized and on top of the work as it comes really helps.
What dental schools arent like NYU where they fail lots of students per year? out of 375, 75 drop out every year. Waste of money, time, etc.

hi anyone that got an interview, for the interview questionnaire/agreement how did you do your why NYU question?

Members don't see this ad :)
What dental schools arent like NYU where they fail lots of students per year? out of 375, 75 drop out every year. Waste of money, time, etc.
I can’t speak for other schools and 75 per year seems pretty exaggerated. If you feel it’s a waste of time and money, then simply don’t apply to NYU College of Dentistry.

Has anyone received an interview or know of any interviews sent in the last week or 2??

Just got an interview! 3.6 sGPA, 3.7 cumulative, 20 DAT

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #3
School: NYU
Notification date: 10/28
Method of notification: Email
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/1
Application complete date: 6/1
GPA (science, overall): 3.03, 3.15
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24, 26, 20, 23, No
Dates available: November 14-25
Method of interview: virtual

Does anyone know if its like to get in with a 19AA nothing below a 18?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth applying here so late

Does anyone know if anymore pre-december interviews invites will be sent out?

Does anyone know if anymore pre-december interviews invites will be sent out?
They may have one more batch of interviews left before the December deadline for acceptance. Based on the most recent batch, they sent late October for a mid-late November interview, which seems like a 2-4 week notice. Possibly one more batch for this week to be an early-mid December interview which will put you right around that deadline. However, NYU interviews well into April so you may hear back from them later in the cycle. Good luck!

Just received interview invite! Can anyone share how they answered the "Why NYU?" 250 word essay on the questionnaire? Also for the Upload materials, what type of documents do people add? It says it can help give more depth to your application.

Just received interview invite! Can anyone share how they answered the "Why NYU?" 250 word essay on the questionnaire? Also for the Upload materials, what type of documents do people add? It says it can help give more depth to your application.
Feel free to PM me, I can answer some of your questions about my interview and what I put down.

what were your stats?

I got invited for an interview on 4/4 and my interview was on 4/7. I got accepted on 4/20. The interview was pretty conversational and all of the questions were typical interview questions. There were 2 1 on 1 interviews with faculty and 1 1 on 1 interview with an admissions associate.
When did you submit your application and DAT? I'm scared mine is too late.

I really doubt you’re too late. NYU interviews incredibly late in the cycle compared to most schools because they have such a large class to fill and most applicants they accept early on will probably decline their seats.

Reactions: 2 users
ADSAS app submitted 9/1/21, I sent an update letter in early January and mid march. Finally got an interview invite on 4/2 and interview 4/7. I got accepted on 4/20. NYU’s app cycle is later than most schools so if you haven’t gotten an interview yet, don’t give up!

Reactions: 2 users
For those who interviewed already, how long was the "one-on-one chat" with the admissions rep?

For those who interviewed already, how long was the "one-on-one chat" with the admissions rep?
Shouldn’t be more than 20-30 min. It’s very quick. I think mine was like 15-20 minutes.
Same, the faulty interviewer told me to treat that as the main interview since they have more say in my acceptance. At least that was my experience.

Same, the faulty interviewer told me to treat that as the main interview since they have more say in my acceptance. At least that was my experience.
makes sense. Is it just time for you to ask questions or do they ask you anything?

Anyone filling out the interview questionnaire, did you guys put all the school that you applied to?

Anyone filling out the interview questionnaire, did you guys put all the school that you applied to?
I did not put any schools that I applied to. I think it’s to your advantage if you don’t have any interviews already, but I did and didn’t want them to know how many I had. It’s your choice, I chose not to for the sake of keeping them in the dark about how many schools chose to interview me.

It’s very relaxed and conversational! The prof I interviewed with was great and we were laughing most of the time. One of my favorite interviews so far! Don’t stress!
I also got an interview invite and may I ask you some questions? I just PM you, can u see it? Thank you!!

Interview #3
School: NYU
Notification date: 11/29
Method of notification: Email
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/2
Application complete date: 7/20
GPA (science, overall): 3.78, 3.65
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/23/21/19/No
Dates available: First and second week of December
Method of interview: Virtual

Are any schools releasing acceptances on 12/1 this year?

Say something positive about this school please, bc all i read bad things and pure negativity
I agree that there are some negative aspects here at NYU. However, as a current NYU student, I feel like a lot of complaints about NYU are coming from the fact that a lot of students don't really have critical thinking skills or know what is the proper solution for a situation, resulting in many rumors.

Reactions: 1 users
Say something positive about this school please, bc all i read bad things and pure negativity

Sure.

I'm not too big of a fan of NYUCD, but there are definitely positives.

You are what you make yourself out of school here.

Plenty of patients to see, unlike most other schools.
You can make many connections here.
The student-student support system is sound, part of it is probably because the school support system is so sh*tty. Many peer tutors, mentors, TAs, and club assistant activities help students.

Would I come to NYU if I am given the choice again? Probably not. The patient base is significantly better than any other school out there. If you are aiming for specialties, stay away. The cost of attendance at NYU is getting too high. 100k for tuition alone and a 4% increase per year is outrageous. By the time you graduate, you'll be in debt for a minimum of 650k-700k. I wouldn't do this again. Thankfully mine is manageable, but if you're not getting anything to assist on that bill, I would say rethink that plan. The rent in NYC is outrageous too.

Still, I am glad about where I am now - I am still treating many patients and think I've developed my skills quite well so far. That's really the reason why I came to NYU, to begin with: the patient base.

The negativity is probably true about NYU. I can confirm/refute them, if you'd like.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know what time they’ll release the results?

NYU student here.

Honestly the school pretty good. Clinically, the students here are very competent when they graduate due to the large patient base and cases they take on. On these forums, there are a lot of complaints about NYU students failing out or remediating, but that’s only a very small percentage of the class and usually the ones who remediate or fail classes are the ones who don’t spend their time wisely in school and don’t really study as much as they should (some kids I know didnt go to class and only studied a couple days before the exam, what did they expect??). They usually don’t stay on top of their work or spend too much time partying. Some people say the profs are out to get you and that’s not true at all. all of my profs this year have been super helpful and they want to ensure all the students succeed, especially if you reach out to them. The scheduling of the exams at NYU are really spaced out to ensure that students have sufficient time to study for exams (you will never have more than 2 exams a week) and personally I think it’s a lot better than the traditional system where you have exams all crammed into a couple weeks. The tuition at NYU is on par with most other private dental schools, but it is the living cost of NYC that makes attending NYU more expensive. NYC is a great place to maintain a work/life balance, but the price of attending dental school here is definitely little outrageous. if you find a couple of roommates to live with, that can help bring your rent down significantly and if you don’t eat out every other day and cook more at hime, you can save a lot of money. The class sizes here are large, so it is hard to stand out sometimes, but I know a lot students prefer it that way. With that said, the diversity of the class is unmatched and that makes it easy for students to find their crowd of people to hang out with. In the end, dental school sucks no matter where you go, so just pick the school that suits your wants and needs.

Reactions: 4 users