NYU Class of 09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i picked the informatics one. i spoke to a few second year students...they said that the master society isn't a really big deal even though it seems that way in the pamphlets they sent us.

Does anyone know what the username/password is to access some of the restricted access sections of the nyu website. My kerberos id and password access my email and the my nyu page, but i can't get into some of the academic/extracurricular sections of the website. Anyone have any luck? Also, is it just me, or do the email addresses suck? I wish there was a way to change it somehow. Mine is long as hell.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're able to change it to, for instance, [email protected] once you get there. Did you guys get an e-mail address with your registration materials? because I definitely didn't. ha

Also, for the Master Scholars society, I chose the Public Health/Health Policy one. I'm planning on going for an MPH or MPP.

Nick

Iamajew said:
i picked the informatics one. i spoke to a few second year students...they said that the master society isn't a really big deal even though it seems that way in the pamphlets they sent us.

Does anyone know what the username/password is to access some of the restricted access sections of the nyu website. My kerberos id and password access my email and the my nyu page, but i can't get into some of the academic/extracurricular sections of the website. Anyone have any luck? Also, is it just me, or do the email addresses suck? I wish there was a way to change it somehow. Mine is long as hell.

good deal. there should be a sticker on the back of the orientation packet that has your id. the instructions to activate it are in the book...hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
ngavin81 said:
hahaha. Whoops. yes there it is. Also, I just discovered that you can leave the "popmail" out of your e-mail address, so I am [email protected].

oh nice.....did anyone else get a letter from a bank saying that their application for a subsidized (and/or unsubsidized) loan has been approved? Its nice that I'm approved without even knowing I applied. Not sure I know what to think about that. Also, does anyone know what the borrowing max is for government funds (aka stafford)?

Hi Fellow Classmates,

Does anyone know how high the ceilings are in Rubin Hall? I'm just trying to figure out what i can and can't bring in there. Thanks guys!

hey guys and gals,

my ID didn't work at first either. I emailed IT and they never responded but a few days later it started working...although the website may think I'm in the class of 2007 :p. Anyone bringing an A/C? After this rough summer in the northeast, I'm thinking that one would really help (and probably drone out the construction). Anyone getting/got the meningitis vaccine? Will I be in pain afterwards? (i'm getting it on wednesday...if brad pitt can get it...so can i!)

ski4Life said:
hey guys and gals,

my ID didn't work at first either. I emailed IT and they never responded but a few days later it started working...although the website may think I'm in the class of 2007 :p. Anyone bringing an A/C? After this rough summer in the northeast, I'm thinking that one would really help (and probably drone out the construction). Anyone getting/got the meningitis vaccine? Will I be in pain afterwards? (i'm getting it on wednesday...if brad pitt can get it...so can i!)

I still have to try my ID. Do you guys think we will still need an AC by late august? Im thinking maybe itll be a bit cooler by then (or hope so at least). As far as the meningitis vaccine goes, it wasn't bad at all. Just expect that your deltoid will be sore the rest of the day and less so the next day (at least that was my experience). I got that and the tetanus at the same time and it was pretty neat feeling the difference in absorption rates (ie the tetanus was more sore the next and subsequent days).

haha. thanks good to know. :) NYC weather can be fickle. I went to NYU undergrad also and there were definitely times in Sept/April/May where I definitely wanted A/C and also some years that weren't as bad. So right now, I'm going through a toss up if I can "rough" it for another year. Its true also for snowfall...but I'm definitely making room in my car for skiis when I come down!

just curious here but how old are you guys? I'm 22.

Congrats to all those coming to the most AMAZING medical school!

From what I heard, orientation is shaping up to be an outstanding week, and I definitely recommend doing EVERYTHING!

I remember Orientation as being the most fun week I've had in a long time, and it ends beautifully with an amazing white-coat ceremony. A ton of second years participate, and it really ends up being a great bonding experience for all those who participate.

So party it up this summer, and get excited, you're COMING TO NYU SoM!!!!

C O G R A T U L A T I O N S

Members don't see this ad :)
ski4Life said:
me too! Aug 2nd..YAY AUGUST!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, 22 here as well. And ski4life, my girlfriend turns 22 on Aug 2 as well. Although tis nice to have birthdays I have come to realize its all downhill after 21. 22 was nothing that special for me, and I have no more perks until 55 when I can join the AARP....awesome.

Also, does anyone know if the dorms in Rubin have closets/dressers? I am assuming they have closets, if not that would be a little ridiculous, seeing that they provide bed/desk/bookcase.

Also, for those concerned about the email address length, etc., you can set up your account so it forwards to another email address. I have a gmail account that I really like to use (for the features, if not for the fact that it should allow me not to change my email addy for more than 4 years), and I had them set up my nyu email to forward to that address. You just have to send an email to the tech people requesting it.

To answer some questions,

There are closets in Rubin, I believe the pamphlet should say what Rubin comes with.

There are 14 flrs in Rubin, 15 would be the roof.

Rubin's ceiling is tall enough to fit most furniture, you did visit the dorms didn't you?

As for AC, if you can tough it out for a few weeks, you can buy 2nd hand ac cheap next summer when people start moving again. Though some people use the ac to counter-balance our heating system, which tends to turn the room into a sauna. I personally just open the window.

You can bring whatever you please into the rooms, no one is gonna check. Swords, fridges, halogen lamps, microwaves, etc.

Yes you can change your e-mail but I am to lazy to do it so I don't know how that's done.

Hope that helps, enjoy your summer people and don't worry too much about moving and orientation.

Woo hoo.....at least I know regardless of how I do, I'll be on the top of something (Rubin as the case may be). Anyone have anything interesting to say? Are most people going to move in on the weekend or during the first two days??

pekq said:
To answer some questions,

There are closets in Rubin, I believe the pamphlet should say what Rubin comes with.

There are 14 flrs in Rubin, 15 would be the roof.

Rubin's ceiling is tall enough to fit most furniture, you did visit the dorms didn't you?

As for AC, if you can tough it out for a few weeks, you can buy 2nd hand ac cheap next summer when people start moving again. Though some people use the ac to counter-balance our heating system, which tends to turn the room into a sauna. I personally just open the window.

You can bring whatever you please into the rooms, no one is gonna check. Swords, fridges, halogen lamps, microwaves, etc.

Yes you can change your e-mail but I am to lazy to do it so I don't know how that's done.

Hope that helps, enjoy your summer people and don't worry too much about moving and orientation.

jdovez said:
Woo hoo.....at least I know regardless of how I do, I'll be on the top of something (Rubin as the case may be). Anyone have anything interesting to say? Are most people going to move in on the weekend or during the first two days??

I'm gonna probably move in the first day on the 18th. I'm psyched!

I'm planning on moving in on the 18th too. We should try to get a group together and go out and start the year off right.

i should be there on the 20th.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking I'll try the 18th too, but we'll see how crowded that loading zone is!! Can't wait to meet yous guys

jdovez said:
Oh yeah, I'm thinking I'll try the 18th too, but we'll see how crowded that loading zone is!! Can't wait to meet yous guys

I was hoping for the 18th, but now looks like I will be going for 19th. I have an AC since I have been renting for 4 years now, so you are wellcome to come and chill out...just don't rat out my swors, halogen lamps, and wwho knows what else i decie to take with me by then. :D

Hi all! I can't wait to meet everyone at orientation! I think I'll be moving in late on the 20th. Hope to see you guys at the Sunday events.

sinephera said:
I was hoping for the 18th, but now looks like I will be going for 19th. I have an AC since I have been renting for 4 years now, so you are wellcome to come and chill out...just don't rat out my swors, halogen lamps, and wwho knows what else i decie to take with me by then. :D

In all honestly halogens are pretty dangerous......swords on the other hand.... :D If the NYC heat keeps up like this I may have to bum some AC from some heads til I pick one up!! Do to the return date on our rental truck it looks like the 18th it is for us. See everyone then!!

Good luck with the move everybody! I moved a block away on 33rd street back in april, i live in a building that borders the same courtyard as greenberg hall. Murray hill is a lot of fun. I also just read that we can get movie tickets at the loews multiplex down the street for $5.50. If that's not a reason to be psyched, i don't know what is.

will we be required to by a PDA in the near future?

I don't think it's ever required but it seems like more and more med students and physicians are buying them... I've used one just for scheduling and whatnot in college and it is useful. I'd think that if you don't have one now, you'd want to wait until 3rd year so you have the most advanced technology when doing clinical rotations. (A lot of the software is geared toward clinical work-ups, pharmacology, and diagnosing)

sherryvec said:
so what is the deal with the dress code for 1st year

I think we are still pretty much at the wear whatever floats your boat unless you are doing something with patients stage of life.

Two Weeks! Dodamaff!

Did anyone receive the nellie mae instructions in the mail yet? I got the tuition bill, but still haven't received any information about accepting the loans yet.

Iamajew said:
Did anyone receive the nellie mae instructions in the mail yet? I got the tuition bill, but still haven't received any information about accepting the loans yet.
Nellie Mae? I am actually working out the financial aid details. I called the bursar's office today, and they said you can pretty much pick and choose which loans to take. I will send out a check to them tomorrow along with a letter explaining which loans I am declining. Did anyone else also get charged $3600 for Rubin (i have a small room-$600/mth). I thought the bill was only for the semester (6 months though for housing?).

Iamajew said:
Nellie Mae? I am actually working out the financial aid details. I called the bursar's office today, and they said you can pretty much pick and choose which loans to take. I will send out a check to them tomorrow along with a letter explaining which loans I am declining. Did anyone else also get charged $3600 for Rubin (i have a small room-$600/mth). I thought the bill was only for the semester (6 months though for housing?).

Iamajew said:
Yeah, I have been wondering about this as well. I called the Fin Aid office, and they said there should have been an email with instructions. I did not receive such an email,so i was gettinga bit nervous. I called Nellie/Sallie Mae myself, and they gave me the website for the MPN: http://www.opennet.salliemae.com

EDIT: SO I realized the NY Higher Eduation one was for a PLUS loan. I filled out the MPN on the Sallie Mae site, and it seems to have worked.

jdovez said:
I think we are still pretty much at the wear whatever floats your boat unless you are doing something with patients stage of life.

ABSO-F*CKNIG-LUTELY last chance to really wear whatever you want

except a bunch tend to wear ties to the exams but that ends by head-neck

regarding the SallieMae lender, I got the email today, started an account, but basically NYU has done all the work for you, you just "sign" it.

Hey guys
I'm also goin to nyu! I had a quick question and i just found this site so maybe one of u could answer it.
I'm moving into rubin..does any1 know if we need to supply our own pans and dishes for the kitchen or are there stuff for us there already?
Did any1 find a really cheap phone plan? I called verizon and the cheapest one was $35 :(

nygirl45 said:
Hey guys
I'm also goin to nyu! I had a quick question and i just found this site so maybe one of u could answer it.
I'm moving into rubin..does any1 know if we need to supply our own pans and dishes for the kitchen or are there stuff for us there already?
Did any1 find a really cheap phone plan? I called verizon and the cheapest one was $35 :(

hmm. that is a good question about the kitchen, i'll ask one of my friends that goes there and get back to you. in regards to the cell phone, can you share a family plan with parents/siblings?

nygirl45 said:
Hey guys

There will definitely be pots and pans in the kitchen, but if you're picky about what you like, feel free to bring your own. They also just put in some great big freezers so you can stock up on food too.

Anyone know what the closest ATM is to Rubin?

Hey everyone,

So I went into Rubin on Friday to see my room and the surrounding. As for the construction the building adjacent is taller but it is parallel to the river while Rubin is perpendicular...so if you are on the north-east side of the building (higher en odd numbers) you get a view if you look diagonal out of your window...a nice view.
The new

The rooms have a desk and a drawer cubby with book shelves on top...
My suite has a small freestanding closet in the big room, and a narrow walk-in closet in the small room.

The kitchen has a couple of microwaves, toaster ovens, a stove, and a fridge...all the basics. Though the freezer is not there the renovation crew there did say it is coming (they are now fixing an painting everything).

However, I saw quite a few rooms had personal mini-refrigerators so I'm shopping for one now.

Hope this helps...

ski4Life said:

Also, for the dorm charge...you are going to get charged for 6 month at a time...and you do NOT have vacation time from it...if you plan to be away for the summer you must sublet. The sublet instructions are in the housing packet.

blz said:
Anyone know what the closest ATM is to Rubin?

150 ft, Bank of America, in front of the Library right near the new ticket booth.

Is anyone else still having problems with the email login?

I still cannt log in, and I've been calling the help desk all this time and they're just telling me to call back in a couple of days, and then nothing is fixed again and they again say to call back later. Now the last time I called the guy told me to come in in person after I get my photo ID (which is during orientation week).
Has anyone else been having these problems with the help desk ?

Anyhow, since I cannt check my mail, I would greatly appreciate if you guys told me if there was/is any significant information that you have recieved from NYU through the school email.
thanx

Mostof what I have receved is pretty inconsequential, and doesn't really apply to me. I will try and give a quick rundown:

***-The one important email was a reminder that you need to fill out two surveys before school starts. One is on AAMCs website. The other you needed to follow a specific link in the email, because I assume each persons link has a different code so they know you filled it out, as there was no where to enter your name, etc on the survey. You should email [email protected] to get this email sent to an address you have access to.
-Welcome from Student Affairs, with website for orientation info (electronic copies of the stuff they mailed) at http://www.med.nyu.edu/studentaffairs/orientation
-Reminder to send in Photo for ID badge
-An email about Dell specials through the computing store (these weren' even good deals...you can get better prices by waiting around for dell coupons and ordering directly from them)
Some email about the Institutional Review Board which seemed like it shouldn't concern us
-A invite to the welcome gathering of the Deans Committee for Women
-Something about Fiscal Year deadlines for accounts payable (again, don't think this is for us)

So for those living in RUbin and planning on getting a window AC unit, have you started looking for one? I have been looking around on the web, but all the ones I have found say max window width is 36". This would seem to be a problem since they said in the info that the windows are 37.5" wide. Anyone have any luck with a unit that would fit this?

Does anyone know if we are going to get scrubs for anatomy...I can't remember anything from my interview

hey - yeah, i think we do get scrubs.

Iamajew said:
hey - yeah, i think we do get scrubs.
Not only dowe get scrubs, I seem to remember a rather cool scrubs "dispenser". You putin youdirty ones, and can get a new set. I think the one we saw was only for MS2s, and they were in the process of getting one for MS1s. Or perhaps I have that backwardsand the already had one for MS1s. In any case, I am fairly sure that we do get them.

FaytlND said:
Not only dowe get scrubs, I seem to remember a rather cool scrubs "dispenser". You putin youdirty ones, and can get a new set. I think the one we saw was only for MS2s, and they were in the process of getting one for MS1s. Or perhaps I have that backwardsand the already had one for MS1s. In any case, I am fairly sure that we do get them.

Yup, your class get's its own nice little machine where you can eexchange ur 2 pairs of scrubs

thanx alot for the info, FaytIND