NYU Class of 09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:clap: Congratulations!!! :clap:

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S

Members don't see this ad.

MissionComplete said:
:clap: Congratulations!!! :clap:

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S

Thanks.....so I called the housing office and after trying like 4 times I finally got a person. She basically told me repeatedly to just submit the application with all the supporting documents, and the deposit. She really didn't have any sort of answer as to do I have a chance to obtain couples housing. I don't remember if i asked, but does anyone have any experience with trying to get this type of housing? Thanks.

jdovez said:
Thanks.....so I called the housing office and after trying like 4 times I finally got a person. She basically told me repeatedly to just submit the application with all the supporting documents, and the deposit. She really didn't have any sort of answer as to do I have a chance to obtain couples housing. I don't remember if i asked, but does anyone have any experience with trying to get this type of housing? Thanks.

As beaurocratic as they are, she's right. Couples housing as a first year is kinda tough- there are these two-bedroom suites in Rubin (the dorm) that I know one of my classmates lives in with her husband and the rest of our classmates who are married/engaged/living with sig's just live off campus.

So i say, get that info in fast, and cross your fingers and toes

Members don't see this ad :)
MissionComplete said:
As beaurocratic as they are, she's right. Couples housing as a first year is kinda tough- there are these two-bedroom suites in Rubin (the dorm) that I know one of my classmates lives in with her husband and the rest of our classmates who are married/engaged/living with sig's just live off campus.

So i say, get that info in fast, and cross your fingers and toes

Thanks, Ill cross everything I got!!!

jdovez said:
Thanks, Ill cross everything I got!!!

Hey jdovez...it seems that I could not detach myself from NYU either...so I am going there next year...

I was wondering how your couples housing application is going...form what I hear I probably will go straight to looking for an apartment...

Also, does anyone know if you can still do something this summer...class or research... I am bored with relaxing :sleep:

does anyone know if all first years are guaranteed housing? i don't mind living in dorms. i'm just looking for something cheap and convenient in manhattan.

sinephera said:
Hey jdovez...it seems that I could not detach myself from NYU either...so I am going there next year...

I was wondering how your couples housing application is going...form what I hear I probably will go straight to looking for an apartment...

Also, does anyone know if you can still do something this summer...class or research... I am bored with relaxing :sleep:

Hey congrats. I'm glad I'll see you there.

smileyguy77 said:
does anyone know if all first years are guaranteed housing? i don't mind living in dorms. i'm just looking for something cheap and convenient in manhattan.

That's hard to answer probably even for the housing office, but I would say if you are a single person then its pretty likely you can have a spot. They have quite a bit of housing. SOmeone I know even was placed in a couples housing suite with no roomate for a year because they just didn't have another person to put in there. That tells me that it is likely they have enough space. Good luck.

Hey guys,

I´ll be going to NYU as well. For those wondering, I got off the waitlist recently WITHOUT receiving that continued interest letter. So don´t give up if you weren´t e'mailed. I´m so psyched to be in NYC next year, it´s going to be a blast!

See you guys in August.

blz said:
Hey guys,

I´ll be going to NYU as well. For those wondering, I got off the waitlist recently WITHOUT receiving that continued interest letter. So don´t give up if you weren´t e'mailed. I´m so psyched to be in NYC next year, it´s going to be a blast!

See you guys in August.

Congrats blz. We look forward to having you join us!!

Hey everyone, I'm definitely a member of the entering class of 2005 and was wondering at this point who else is. I'm probably going to live in beautiful Rubin... but am really excited about starting up. Anyone else know for sure that they'll be there? Feel free to e-mail me. I'd love to see where everyone else is coming from and interested in doing. Best, Nick

I was wondering when most of you will be arriving in NYC. I plan to move into my appartment Aug1. But am around there now too, practically everyday...

sinephera said:
I was wondering when most of you will be arriving in NYC. I plan to move into my appartment Aug1. But am around there now too, practically everyday...

My girl and I are visiting the city next week. Other than that we will probably move into the dorm when we can (aug 18).

Members don't see this ad :)
Have fun bumming around this week. Hope the rain is not too much of a bother.

By the way, is everyone getting the Meningitis Vaccine...up to now I thought it is optional...my doc. says I should not get it because the chance of contracting Meningitis is too low to justify the problematic vaccine. Did anyone who get it have any problems with it?

sinephera said:

By the way, is everyone getting the Meningitis Vaccine...up to now I thought it is optional...my doc. says I should not get it because the chance of contracting Meningitis is too low to justify the problematic vaccine. Did anyone who get it have any problems with it?

My doc also said that he's surprised they want it and it shouldn't be mandatory. A bit odd I say. I may hold off on it til I come up to school....or maybe not.

any of you guys know when the white coat ceremony is?

blz said:
any of you guys know when the white coat ceremony is?
I actually just called to ask that question today. They said that it is scheduled for August 26, and that it is pretty certain it will not change again (it sounds like it may have been moving around a bit prior to now).

Also, for previous posts in this thread, I will be living in Rubin and moving in on the 18th when we are first allowed to.

Yea i'm moving in on the 18th too. I plan on making a few trips up there and checking out the area before then.

Hey jdovez, I stuck with your advice and pushed for housing...it seems I will be getting the same room as you...did you see it? is the bathroom a shower?
Is it nice in general?

thanks.

quick question for everyone: did anyone get awarded less money on the preliminary financial aid award letter than the budget calls for? Has anyone in this position contacted the financial aid office about this (i'm waiting for a reply after the weekend)? Do you know if we are allowed to request more unsubsidized loan money to fill the gap?

Iamajew said:
quick question for everyone: did anyone get awarded less money on the preliminary financial aid award letter than the budget calls for? Has anyone in this position contacted the financial aid office about this (i'm waiting for a reply after the weekend)? Do you know if we are allowed to request more unsubsidized loan money to fill the gap?
I have come to this same realization. I imagine that you would be able to request more, but only if you don't hit the maximum. There is a maximum for unsub student loans, and I am 99% sure its 20k. If there is a gap in the prelim award with the federal loans maxed out, then you have to make it up with a private loan. There are a bunch of options for this, one of them being Medloans, which is run through AAMC. You hae to watch on these loans however, because they are the ones that can get pretty expensive.

Thanks for the info. I contacted the financial aid office, but probably won't hear back until next week. Don't you think it's crazy that nyu's budget is ABOVE what federal loans can give? It seems kind of ridiculous to me.

It is kind of crazy. Unfortunately, many private schools have these kind of budgets...even some state schools if you are not a resident. And if you think about it, the federal loans will cover the actual tuition, which is all the government should be concerned about doing. The actual living expenses are what really make the cost high, and in NYC, that can't be helped. Also, its better if they overestimate your budget, if they were conservative so loans could cover it all, then many might find themselves unable to find enough money to attend.

good point - thanks for your help

just as a note, from my package it seems that the max unsub. amount is $30,000. They give 10,000 automatically and I have another optional 20,000 of which I can ask all or some part.

sinephera said:

i got it about three weeks ago, and i didn't have any problems aside from the frustration of dishing out more money, $35, for the vaccine.

i don't know how accurate this is, but the nurse who gave me the vaccine said that the vaccine doesn't even cover the most common type of meningitis. how messed up is that, no?

I went to NYC yesterday to see the fireworks. OMG I wish I was in rubin hall then because the view from there must have been sick!

I went to the student clinic today to get the PPD done and asked about the meningitis...they said that you do not have to get it if you will be living off campus or in a room with a privet bathroom...so I got the familiar waiver of vaccine to sign.

It was nice to find out that the student clinic is in one of the dorms (the one across the street from the med school). No need to run around in the snow when you are already sick.

Hi, I will definately be going to NYU school of med this Fall :cool:

I havn't recieved anything about my housing yet. I called the housing office and they said I should be getting a letter in the mail about my assignment.

Has anybody actually recieved their assignment and if so when ?

I didn't receive anything yet but I'm told by 2nd years that we'll (all 1st years) be in Rubin Hall, which is a dump but it's so convenient getting to class, Bellevue, etc.

I look forward to meeting everyone soon! Are we certain that the white coat ceremony is the 28th?

Nick

ilim01 said:
Hi, I will definately be going to NYU school of med this Fall :cool:

I havn't recieved anything about my housing yet. I called the housing office and they said I should be getting a letter in the mail about my assignment.

Has anybody actually recieved their assignment and if so when ?

ngavin81 said:
I didn't receive anything yet but I'm told by 2nd years that we'll (all 1st years) be in Rubin Hall, which is a dump but it's so convenient getting to class, Bellevue, etc.

I look forward to meeting everyone soon! Are we certain that the white coat ceremony is the 28th?

Nick

white coat ceremony is the 26th

Hey guys,
I'm excited to be goin to nyu med next year with all of u!
I just received the packet about orientation (I live in ny) and I tried to log on to the student portal with the username and password that they gave us, but i can't seem to get it to work. I get a message saying that it's not a valid username or password. Does any1 else seem to be having the same problem?

nygirl45 said:
Hey guys,
I'm excited to be goin to nyu med next year with all of u!
I just received the packet about orientation (I live in ny) and I tried to log on to the student portal with the username and password that they gave us, but i can't seem to get it to work. I get a message saying that it's not a valid username or password. Does any1 else seem to be having the same problem?

I get the same thing. I guess they are not fully updated yet. Are you going to take the placement exam for MGB during orientation?

can't log in either...oh well.

Does anyone get the feeling that the reason there are so few of us on this forum is that there are only 5-10 people actually enrolled for NYU class of 2009...I hope they got enough people on that waitlist of theirs...haha

sinephera said:

Does anyone get the feeling that the reason there are so few of us on this forum is that there are only 5-10 people actually enrolled for NYU class of 2009...I hope they got enough people on that waitlist of theirs...haha

The site works now although there isn't really much to see there besides the curriculum.

sinephera said:

Well it doesn't sound like there is too much movment on the waitlist either. I just think SDN attracts people who go to certain schools for some odd reason. I mean look at the Yale thread, it has like 10 posts, and I know that their class is full.

In any event, I just had my physical today, and its really started to hit me that we will be starting in a little over a month. I definitely can't wait.

I saw that info about testing out of MGB, but I figure that the refresher won't be a bad thing, especially since we will have to review it again anyway for the boards. I would prefer not trying to spend my last month before school studying, considering that there will be more than enough during the year.

Also, does anyone remember about how big the rooms are in Rubin? I need to start figuring out how much stuff I can bring, and it would be great to figure out their dimensions. I am also hoping the bed they provide is a double, but I am afraid that's just a pipe dream.

Also, I was just looking through the orientation stuff again, and does anyone find it a little ridiculous that we have to pay for some of the activities? Its almost funny that $200 cannot be found in $38000 tuition.

FaytlND said:
Also, I was just looking through the orientation stuff again, and does anyone find it a little ridiculous that we have to pay for some of the activities? Its almost funny that $200 cannot be found in $38000 tuition.

I was surprised with that too. I thought they would atleast show some sympathy since we'll all be poor and living in nyc.

blz said:
I was surprised with that too. I thought they would atleast show some sympathy since we'll all be poor and living in nyc.

Having worked in the NYU undergrad, I know firsthand how disconnected the different offices are in terms of getting things done and financially. I think the orientation stuff is probably mainly in the hands of the students to run, and they were probably given a limited budget. However, to be able to see Avenue Q for $25 bucks, or to have an all day outdoor event for $15 bucks means that there is heavy subsidation. Plus, this is optional stuff, so eh if you don't want to do the $$ stuff, you don't have to.

Oh and Sinephera, I didn't get a chance to go up to the rooms. I actually saw one a few years back (a friend of mine was in it), but I didn't think I'd be living there so I didn't take notes on it. The bathroom will have somewhere to bathe and somewhere to handle your business and thats about all I remember. If you get any more info, please let me know. Also, did you guys get your actual housing assignments in the mail yet? I still have it on word that I got a place, but I would feel much better seeing it in print. Oh yeah, and congrats on actually getting a room, persistence often is the key.

Anyone else living on the third floor in Rubin?

I am on the 12th. I am happy that I got one of the large rooms, however I fear that I am going to be facing the construction...that could be no fun.

Also, I was unaware that the building was not air conditioned. Looks like I will be buying a window unit, and I am going to be unmerciful with the thermostat. One of the benefits of the utilities being included in the rent.

Also, now that i think about it, I wish I would have kept my bed loft from undergrad.

Yey...I got my housing assignment today...here is some info for future Rubin dwellers:

Room Size: There are two types of rooms, large-10x17 and Small 10x14. The suites have one of each

Construction: is on the North side of Rubin where the large, odd numbered rooms are. :(
The work is 7am-6pm weekdays. :eek: And they claim they’ll be done by Dec. 2005. :laugh:

Also, for whoever asked earlier the suites are $990/month.

Finally, for those of you who have parents that are flying in for White coat etc. are they going to be here for the orientation week? It sucks that we are busy before White coat and have class right after...some of us are mommy's girls and need some bonding time...any words of strategic wisdom? :idea:

6th floor Rubin! oh btw, MoMA is free Fri nights and start at the top and work your way down. The goodies (van Gogh, Monet, etc) are on the highest floor. Ave Q is definitely worth the $25...the cruise...eh. I guess its just that I grew up mostly in NJ and did a lot of cruises around NYC. I wonder what the outdoor adventure is...can't wait to meet you all!

5th floor rubin here! how many freaking floors are there, lol!

I got a small room on fourth floor of Rubin.

Also, do you guys know if it's okay for us to bring in small dorm-sized refrigerators? Or is that on the banned list like halogen lamps?

Hey guys. I was just wondering when you all received those packets which outlined orientation week activities and all that other miscell. stuff b/c I still haven't received mine for some reason. Thanks!

5th floor big room Rubin,

anyone know more info about the construction ?

blz said:
5th floor rubin here! how many freaking floors are there, lol!

14th floor....woo hoo......(I believe there are 15)

I'm in 407... big room! Hopefully the construction won't be so bad. I've seen the guys that work around Bellevue/NYU; breakfast usually lasts until around 9. ;) Hope everyone's summer is going well!

Nick

Just wondering which Master Scholars program did everyone pick. I took Art and Humanities as 1st choice, I think I will have enough medicine related crap to learn as it is.

PS the selection sheet was due July 22, hope everyone got it in.