NYT Op_Ed on Chronic Pain & Suicide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

"It is not the fault of people who suffer pain that America has an addiction problem. Denying them access to needed medication helps no one."

Members don't see this ad.

Oh look something like this again.

The most rational way forward is to acknowledge:

1) As there is no compelling data showing long-term benefit from COT for non-cancer MSK pain, initiation should be a rare event.

2) Refugees on high-moderate mme are at increased risk of suicide if they’re abruptly cut off.

3) Nobody really knows what do. A think tank of pain physicians, addiction docs, pcps, DEA, FDA, national elected leaders would probably have the best chance of coming up with a true system-wide change for opioid prescribing, monitoring, etc. This won’t happen.

4) At a minimum, unless the government grants some sort of modified sovereign immunity for docs who take on refugees (and pays them fairly for doing so), most of these patients will continue to wander in the desert.

Reactions: 8 users
I can't read the article because I'm not signing up for the NYT, but I really think these "articles" are put out there for clickbait purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't read the article because I'm not signing up for the NYT, but I really think these "articles" are put out there for clickbait purposes.
Agree. I refuse to sign up for NYT. It’s like sending a monthly check to the American communist society.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
When are we as Americans going to wean ourselves off the CCP teet? It seems like almost everything I buy and own is from China

wow.

you guys are so paranoid. not sure i could live my life that way, but to each their own.
Paranoid, as in going around thinking that........

1-the earth will burst into flames in the next couple of years due to climate change or
2- every single thing every person in the world does is motivated by racism or sexism?

I would take real concerns over liberal paranoia anyday!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
as expected, you inflate "the other side's" concerns to atmospheric levels. hyperbole as always.

the earth will be around for at least 1.75 billion years. we may be able make an impact in how comfortable it is for the species currently living on it, including homo sapien.

and conservatives continue to insist that there is no racism even with plethora of evidence directly in front of them.

or that the racism is justified ie christian nationalism.

Reactions: 3 users
as expected, you inflate "the other side's" concerns to atmospheric levels. hyperbole as always.

the earth will be around for at least 1.75 billion years. we may be able make an impact in how comfortable it is for the species currently living on it, including homo sapien.

and conservatives continue to insist that there is no racism even with plethora of evidence directly in front of them.

or that the racism is justified ie christian nationalism.
My response was only to you inflating the "other sides" concerns.
I was just mirroring your hyperbole!

Never did I say there is absolutely zero racism or sexism in the world.

My main point on racism and sexism (as echoed this century by Bill Maher and other sane moderate democrats), is that racism and sexism are dramatically less now compared to 80 years ago and all this "sky is falling" chicken little racism/sexism claims by the democrats, only serves to divide this country along lines of race and sex.

You do know that in multiple studies over the past 30 years, people of color have reported significantly less perceived racism in America than patronizing white liberals?

So again my point is that in our modern times, liberals exhibit far more paranoia than conservatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
please post these studies.

the only study i could find was the Rasmussen reports, and those are telephone surveys, which have decided limitations.

until you do so, then i might have to point out that your opinion of "hyperbole" of my positions is backed up by science and data, and i have yet to see data to suggest that yours are.

the other issue is that your comment implies that since there is less racism than before, then the situation is good. please explain how any amount of racism is good for our society.