NYMC Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I'm a soon-to-be second year at NYMC. I'd be willing to answer any questions you guys have about classes, housing, transport, etc. And Indian restaurants. :D

Members don't see this ad.

ascrimmins said:
Ok, executive decision. Let's meet at Grasslands. I will scout out a place earlier in the weekend.

Who: ANYONE - I think we could use a few older and wiser students if they would care to "tag along" (ha, just kidding), but ESPECIALLY ANYONE who is NYMC Class of 2009.

What: a few drinks, a few appetizers, some fun!

When: 7:30 PM (I originally said 7 PM, but changed to reflect the barbeque that is on last year's orientation schedule)

Where: Let's meet in front of the suite-style apartments and go from there. That way people won't get lost!

Why: to kick off a very long four years the RIGHT WAY!!!

How will you know? Well, I'm 5'0" (and therefore one could reasonably assume I'm a girl :))and have shoulder-length brownish-reddish hair. I will have my car - a white Volvo S40.

Should you bring your car? Well, I will be DD, but I'm hoping we'll end up with 10 people or so. So, bring your keys and if we need another car someone can get theirs??

YAY! Can't wait!!!

PM me for my cell # if you would like it!!
Pending any unforeseen events, I am down for the get together.

Bruinrab, pls do tell about any and all good restaurants (I am Indian myself and going out for Indian could get a little boring).

Hey, everyone, I'm going to NYMC in the fall. I'm actually from the area, so I'm going to be commuting. I can't wait to meet everyone at the Sunday BBQ!

By the way, I got that email about the login name and I can't seem to log in. Is anyone else having trouble? Or have they just not set up the system yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having trouble logging in also. It says that we will get login and password help during orientation, so I'm guessing it hasn't been setup yet.

i'm able to get into the info services website, but not the email website. is this what everyone else is finding?

wenzday01 said:
Hey, everyone, I'm going to NYMC in the fall. I'm actually from the area, so I'm going to be commuting. I can't wait to meet everyone at the Sunday BBQ!

By the way, I got that email about the login name and I can't seem to log in. Is anyone else having trouble? Or have they just not set up the system yet?

I don't think I got this email...was it just sent today? Any important info regarding orientation, etc?

KNightInBlue said:
Pending any unforeseen events, I am down for the get together.

Bruinrab, pls do tell about any and all good restaurants (I am Indian myself and going out for Indian could get a little boring).

Food can be problematic in Valhalla, but here are a few pointers ---

The best Indian place we've found so far in the area is called Patang (http://www.patangcuisine.com/). It's in Yonkers, about 15-20 mins away, but it's worth the drive. Another good one is Malabar Hill (http://www.malabarhill.net/) in Elmsford, about 10 mins away. At both places, the lunch buffets are the best deal and you get good variety for your money. Dinner can be expensive at both places. They differ a little in style. Patang seems more North Indian in flavor and spice, and Malabar Hill seems somewhat South Indian (ie, hotter!).

The best Chinese delivery is Empire Chinese -- they'll deliver flyers to campus. They're usually fairly quick, and they have pretty good food for the money (but cash only). One warning, they do take it very seriously when you tell then to make it extra spicy. The best delivery pizza is probably Planet Pizza. They're fairly quick, decent pizza, and they're open later than many other places. Just don't expect to be able to order *any* food at 1am -- few places seem to deliver after 10pm. The Dominos which is supposed to deliver to us just flat out refuses to do so (Lord knows why, they'd probably make a ton off us). There's a Pizza Hut in Yonkers that does really cheap buffets for lunch, and evening buffet once a week (Tuesday I think). They don't deliver at all though.

Dunkin' Donuts is pretty much down the street from Sam's club (on rt. 9A). Near that is California Tex-Mex, which my Californian fiance says is some of the best Mexican food he's had on the East coast. There's a Carvel ice cream store also near there, although the one in Hartsdale is nicer. They have great ice-cream cakes. :D Wendy's is available in both directions on 9A. The one in Hawthorne (turning right off Dana Road) is closer and a little quicker service-wise. Also in Hawthorne, near the Wendy's is the Executive Diner, very close to an Applebee's. The diner is probably your best bet for late night food (I think they're open 24 hours). TGIFridays is in Tarrytown, but you're better off getting the directions online. They are close to the nearest Bank of America branch.

In White Plains, there's Cheesecake Factory, although they get *very* busy at times. Near them is an Outback Steakhouse. I think you have to pay for parking at both of these.

Oh, and go to the Stop and Shop in North White Plains if you can. They're the nicest grocery store in the area, and they deliver too!

I'll add to the list if I can think of more. :luck:

pumpkin628 said:
I don't think I got this email...was it just sent today? Any important info regarding orientation, etc?

PM me your email address and I'll forward you the email. It's sorta got important info like survival guide and orientation.

bruinrab said:
Food can be problematic in Valhalla, but here are a few pointers ---

The best Indian place we've found so far in the area is called Patang (http://www.patangcuisine.com/). It's in Yonkers, about 15-20 mins away, but it's worth the drive. Another good one is Malabar Hill (http://www.malabarhill.net/) in Elmsford, about 10 mins away. At both places, the lunch buffets are the best deal and you get good variety for your money. Dinner can be expensive at both places. They differ a little in style. Patang seems more North Indian in flavor and spice, and Malabar Hill seems somewhat South Indian (ie, hotter!).

The best Chinese delivery is Empire Chinese -- they'll deliver flyers to campus. They're usually fairly quick, and they have pretty good food for the money (but cash only). One warning, they do take it very seriously when you tell then to make it extra spicy. The best delivery pizza is probably Planet Pizza. They're fairly quick, decent pizza, and they're open later than many other places. Just don't expect to be able to order *any* food at 1am -- few places seem to deliver after 10pm. The Dominos which is supposed to deliver to us just flat out refuses to do so (Lord knows why, they'd probably make a ton off us). There's a Pizza Hut in Yonkers that does really cheap buffets for lunch, and evening buffet once a week (Tuesday I think). They don't deliver at all though.

Dunkin' Donuts is pretty much down the street from Sam's club (on rt. 9A). Near that is California Tex-Mex, which my Californian fiance says is some of the best Mexican food he's had on the East coast. There's a Carvel ice cream store also near there, although the one in Hartsdale is nicer. They have great ice-cream cakes. :D Wendy's is available in both directions on 9A. The one in Hawthorne (turning right off Dana Road) is closer and a little quicker service-wise. Also in Hawthorne, near the Wendy's is the Executive Diner, very close to an Applebee's. The diner is probably your best bet for late night food (I think they're open 24 hours). TGIFridays is in Tarrytown, but you're better off getting the directions online. They are close to the nearest Bank of America branch.

In White Plains, there's Cheesecake Factory, although they get *very* busy at times. Near them is an Outback Steakhouse. I think you have to pay for parking at both of these.

Oh, and go to the Stop and Shop in North White Plains if you can. They're the nicest grocery store in the area, and they deliver too!

I'll add to the list if I can think of more. :luck:
WOW! That's a lot of restaurant info. I'll make sure to put it to good use :)

Thanks Bruinrab

See everyone this weekend! I'll be the annoyed one making three trips from the city in order move all my stuff ;) Hope everyones move goes smoothly!

so my dad and i were wandering around the campus earlier this afternoon, and we stumbled upon walter kowalczyk, who was lounging inside a garage. he showed us inside 1403 grasslands and said that it wouldn't be any problem for people to move in on friday. he only requested that arrangements be made ahead of time by calling his cell (914-557-5819)-- if he can't be reached that way, try 914-594-3354 or knock on his door at #511. i think he said he'd be around 9am-5pm on fri.

anyway, i hope this info helps. i def. plan on moving in a day early to beat the rush.

-m

Hey Guys, Hope to see everyone this weekend. Looking forward to meeting all off you! Enjoy these last few days of relaxation!!! I'm definetly down for the get together after the housing BBQ on sunday btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vitamin_Ng said:
so my dad and i were wandering around the campus earlier this afternoon, and we stumbled upon walter kowalczyk, who was lounging inside a garage. he showed us inside 1403 grasslands and said that it wouldn't be any problem for people to move in on friday. he only requested that arrangements be made ahead of time by calling his cell (914-557-5819)-- if he can't be reached that way, try 914-594-3354 or knock on his door at #511. i think he said he'd be around 9am-5pm on fri.

anyway, i hope this info helps. i def. plan on moving in a day early to beat the rush.

-m

hey thanks so much for that info. when i called nymc to see about moving in early, they just told me to call the super when i get there. i guess i should call tomorrow and make arrangements. great to know his name too. they also told me that they'd be charging a fee for staying one extra night (based on daily cost or something like that), anyone else hear about this?

also count me in for a post-bbq get together. i'm also planning to do the thirsty turtle thing and the dinner cruise thing... what about all of you?

ruwan said:
hey thanks so much for that info. when i called nymc to see about moving in early, they just told me to call the super when i get there. i guess i should call tomorrow and make arrangements. great to know his name too. they also told me that they'd be charging a fee for staying one extra night (based on daily cost or something like that), anyone else hear about this?

also count me in for a post-bbq get together. i'm also planning to do the thirsty turtle thing and the dinner cruise thing... what about all of you?

Yeah, I think I'm going to go to both. My mom is already making cracks about me being the social butterfly of my med school class (which is SO not true - I was not as social as I should have been in college) - might as well start off the year by proving her right!

ruwan said:

kowalczyk mentioned that we would still have to wait til saturday to receive our keys/id card, which i took to mean that we could move our stuff in early, but we wouldn't necessarily have access to it that night. i was just planning on truckin' my junk in fri. morning, spending the rest of day running errands at kmart/staples/etc, spending fri. night at the marriott and returning sat. morning for registration & all that jazz.

yeah, i saw pictures of last year's o-week, and the thirsty turtle and cruise looked awesome!

aw shucks I was hoping we would be able to stay the night. What time are you guys going to move in on Friday? Do we need to get permission for the car if we haven't turned in the vehicle registration card? I was thinking of moving in early afternoon.

See ya then.

Freakingzooming said:
aw shucks I was hoping we would be able to stay the night. What time are you guys going to move in on Friday? Do we need to get permission for the car if we haven't turned in the vehicle registration card? I was thinking of moving in early afternoon.

See ya then.

I'm moving in Friday. My flight arrives at JFK around 8am ish, so I guess I'm going to be able to make it up to Valhalla around 2/3pm. I'm planning to lug my stuff in, get kinda set up, run errands, and then hopefully spend the night.

I have no clue about the registration for car parking Fri. night. (Shouldn't there be a vistor's day pass or something? And night parking is usually free right? After 10pm or whatever?)

ruwan said:
I'm moving in Friday. My flight arrives at JFK around 8am ish, so I guess I'm going to be able to make it up to Valhalla around 2/3pm. I'm planning to lug my stuff in, get kinda set up, run errands, and then hopefully spend the night.

I have no clue about the registration for car parking Fri. night. (Shouldn't there be a vistor's day pass or something? And night parking is usually free right? After 10pm or whatever?)

I called Walter just now- he said we can move in on Friday and stay the night as long as we move in from 9 to 5 pm (when he'll be working). He'll give us the keys. We'll have to get the IDs/keycards? on Sat morning. But it seems like he's really ok with us moving in early and staying the night.

ruwan said:

In order to park in the student housing parking lots before getting your access card/car registration, just buzz security from the gates and tell them what apartment number you are in. They will let you through. I moved in this past Sunday (Grasslands II, family housing) and have had no problems getting in. Looking forward to meeting everyone!!!

ruwan said:

Oops...meant Grasslands I!

Random question...

Does the housing office accept UPS packages for us? I'm shipping a bunch of my stuff over there, but due to our busy schedule next week I doubt I'll be around to accept the package. If it ends up that I have to pick it up at the local UPS station, it defeats the whole purpose of me sending these boxes. Thanks for the input.

Hello future classmates! :)

I have a random question of my own that I'm pretty sure I don't need to be posting here, but who else can I turn to (ok, probably the DMV but I didn't see anything about this on their website)?

I'm 'borrowing' my parents' car for at least the entire year. I'll be commuting from the Bronx, lucky me. My question is, do I have to transfer ownership from them to me, or can I just drive it around as is? Having never owned a car, I'm pretty clueless about the whole registration/insurance stuff...I think my name is listed on their car insurance as a driver though. Do I have to do anything about this? I hope not.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question. I realize this has nothing to do with med school, though, so double thanks!

plsaxepme said:
Hello future classmates! :)

I have a random question of my own that I'm pretty sure I don't need to be posting here, but who else can I turn to (ok, probably the DMV but I didn't see anything about this on their website)?

I'm 'borrowing' my parents' car for at least the entire year. I'll be commuting from the Bronx, lucky me. My question is, do I have to transfer ownership from them to me, or can I just drive it around as is? Having never owned a car, I'm pretty clueless about the whole registration/insurance stuff...I think my name is listed on their car insurance as a driver though. Do I have to do anything about this? I hope not.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question. I realize this has nothing to do with med school, though, so double thanks!

If you have a driver's license and your listed as a driver on the insurance, then you don't have to do anything. Now answer my random question! :D

Hey guys!

I signed up for housing really late and ended up on the waitlist. What do you think the chances are that anyone is goin to drop out over the next couple days. Anyone else in the same boat?? If anyone's living off campus - where are you living and how much does it cost? I'm freakin out.

premed said:
Random question...

Does the housing office accept UPS packages for us? I'm shipping a bunch of my stuff over there, but due to our busy schedule next week I doubt I'll be around to accept the package. If it ends up that I have to pick it up at the local UPS station, it defeats the whole purpose of me sending these boxes. Thanks for the input.

UPS and Fedex usually deliver in the evenings. They'll attempt to deliver to the apartment probably some time between 4:30 and 6:30 pm. If no-one is there, they'll leave a note. Some people just leave a note on their mailbox saying for them to leave the package. I don't think there have been any problems with that.

I just took a look at the schedule - apart from the cruise day, I think you'll probably be there to sign for it, so it shouldn't be a problem.

bruinrab said:
UPS and Fedex usually deliver in the evenings. They'll attempt to deliver to the apartment probably some time between 4:30 and 6:30 pm. If no-one is there, they'll leave a note. Some people just leave a note on their mailbox saying for them to leave the package. I don't think there have been any problems with that.

I just took a look at the schedule - apart from the cruise day, I think you'll probably be there to sign for it, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Cool...thanks! You're an ex-physio right? I remember getting a lot of advice from you last year. Maybe I'll run into you once school starts.

WFUTracy83 said:
Hey guys!

I signed up for housing really late and ended up on the waitlist. What do you think the chances are that anyone is goin to drop out over the next couple days. Anyone else in the same boat?? If anyone's living off campus - where are you living and how much does it cost? I'm freakin out.

Did you get the survival guide? There's a part of it where it describes off-campus housing. Places/cities/neighborhoods students usually stay. I would call the housing office and ask- they have a list probably you can use. Also look at craiglist.org and look thru Westchester area.

Pennysaver has a listing too. There was one user who mentioned he was living off campus in this thread. PM him and ask for help. Best of luck- I wanted to live off campus but couldn't find anything cheaper than 1000 for a single.

WFUTracy83 said:
Hey guys!

I am living in Yonkers. Rent is MUCH cheaper there than in White Plains, and the commute is not bad (I will live right off the Sprain Brook and I think it'll take me 12-20 mins to get to school). White Plains is also an option. Try: http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/aap/. That search includes all apartments, including those with brokers fees. You can also go back to newyork.craigslist.org and choose what you want, but make sure you choose Westchester (on top of the page once you have chosen apartments/share/etc.) to limit it!

Mary Jane Pastor realty also has rentals. http://www.maryjanepastor.com/.

Good luck - things will be ok.

PS - did you go to WFU? I went to Davidson and lived in Chapel Hill until yesterday!

On another note, I am on my way up, hopefully arriving early-ish tomorrow.

Hope I will see you all at 7:30 in front of Grasslands on Sunday so we can hang out and get a drink!

Bigsheed920 - sorry I missed your IM, I was packing!!!

ascrimmins said:
I am living in Yonkers. Rent is MUCH cheaper there than in White Plains, and the commute is not bad (I will live right off the Sprain Brook and I think it'll take me 12-20 mins to get to school). White Plains is also an option. Try: http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/aap/. That search includes all apartments, including those with brokers fees. You can also go back to newyork.craigslist.org and choose what you want, but make sure you choose Westchester (on top of the page once you have chosen apartments/share/etc.) to limit it!

Good luck - things will be ok.

PS - did you go to WFU? I went to Davidson and lived in Chapel Hill until yesterday!

Thanks ascrimmins! Great help. Yeah I went to WFU! Good to see another Carolinian there... I'm not really a Carolinian though b/c I'm from CT. We'll have fun killing each other during basketball season. ;) - Tracy

ascrimmins said:
On another note, I am on my way up, hopefully arriving early-ish tomorrow.

Hope I will see you all at 7:30 in front of Grasslands on Sunday so we can hang out and get a drink!

Bigsheed920 - sorry I missed your IM, I was packing!!!
It's cool no problem ascrimmins...see u on sat or sun hopefully.

I just wanted to give a piece of advice to those who will be using their cars regularly to get around nyc. I would recommend getting an EZ-Pass. Saves u a ton of time and i think u save some money at certain tolls also.

For all people who will be living off campus and driving to school for orientation, I wanted to give you a heads up as to where you can park. I had no idea where I was supposed to park last year, drove all over campus and was almost late because of it.

So anyways, parking for off-campus students is behind the Basic Sciences Building (building 2 in this map http://www.nymc.edu/welcome/valcampus.asp) You need an NYMC Id card to gain entrance to this parking lot, and you may not get that until wednesday of orientation. No problem though, just use the speakerphone at the gate to contact security and let them know you're a new student and you don't have an ID badge yet. They will let you in the parking lot.

Anyways, see you all on monday! I'll be assisting with your first hectic day of registration.

I'm HERE :). Grasslands 1515. Anyone else????

I'm here too folks. #1307

i'm here too-- 1413.

but i'm perplexed...none of my other roommates are here yet. they're from MA, CA, and NY...i guess they're waiting til sunday to move in. or is it possible that i got placed w/ 2nd yrs?

I wouldn't be too worried. Two of my roomates have yet to move in also.

Room 1201

For those of you who are already there, how did you get internet? The rooms are not wired yet. I'm at a cousins place thats how I'm sending this message. Am is missing something???

bbtbay said:
For those of you who are already there, how did you get internet? The rooms are not wired yet. I'm at a cousins place thats how I'm sending this message. Am is missing something???

I just plugged my laptop in to the ethernet jack in my room, and I was up and running, same situation with my roommates.

However, NYMC seems to have blocked BitTorrent some how. Does anyone have any idea if this is the case/any way to get around this?

my room already came wired, w/ complimentary LAN cable. i can't get a wireless signal, tho.

Just a reminder - anyone who wants to hang out - 7:30 PM tonight. Let's meet in front of Grasslands 13? We'll check the other side, though, to make sure we don't miss anyone. Invite your roommates or anyone you want to :).

Hope to see you then!

If you think BitTorrent is the only thing NYMC has blocked on its network, you are in for a rather large surprise

Columbia22 said:
If you think BitTorrent is the only thing NYMC has blocked on its network, you are in for a rather large surprise

aw crap- how do they do that? any file sharing programs they don't block?

they have ports blocked, no file sharing that i know of

Columbia22 said:
they have ports blocked, no file sharing that i know of

well that's the worst news of the week.

Most of the ports used by file sharing clients are blocked from student housing, but some of the ports are open at least if you go to the mods. Haven't tried bittorrent, but I can DCC file get on IRC from the computers in the mods.

Incidentally, I'm out of the loop on what's going on with the wireless connections. Is student housing wireless? How about the library and the mods?

bonovox said:
Most of the ports used by file sharing clients are blocked from student housing, but some of the ports are open at least if you go to the mods. Haven't tried bittorrent, but I can DCC file get on IRC from the computers in the mods.

Incidentally, I'm out of the loop on what's going on with the wireless connections. Is student housing wireless? How about the library and the mods?

mods? do you know which ports are open.

The mods are the modules on the 3rd floor, for 1st years, in the MEC. Student housing is going wireless in Sept, the mods and library aren't

Anyone know any good mexican restaurants close by?