NYMC Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I called about it last year, I was told I could move in friday, no problem. They said earlier might work too, I would need to talk to the super. All I wanted was friday, so I didn't push for earlier. I was damn glad I moved friday, since I had a moving truck (I'm married and in married housing), and saturday and sunday were a bit of a zoo.

Members don't see this ad.

hey does anyone know when the white coat ceremony will be?

If we wait and don't turn in the housing application now but later and it is received before June 30th, it won't affect our chance of getting a trio instead of a quad?

Members don't see this ad :)
idq1i said:
Early/mid-october. It's a :sleep: . You will have the oath read to you.

so it's not worth the parents flying out from CA right?

ruwan said:

Absolutely not. You sit outside, in a big tent. Someone gives a speech about Medicine. Someone else reads the hippocratic oath to you. You don't even get to say it :rolleyes:

Here are a few pics from my class: http://www.nymc.edu/convocation/2003/index.htm

PS: but you do get free cake!

ruwan said:
I felt like most people in my class had family there. Many had flown out from CA. But, I decided that it wasn't worth the trip with thanksgiving only a month away. There is tour of the campus for the parents, and a speech to them while you are in class by the deans. Not having family there was a little wierd with so many people having family there, but, as was said it was a short ceremony, so in the end it probably wasn't worth it for people to fly out for me since it is costly, and i wasn't totally alone, I got to hang out with another "no family" friend and we just drank beer and watched a movie.

So apparently I am a "no family" friend. Yep, Sparky and I were about the only ones there without family. I don't feel like anyone missed anything, but there are some parents who are so proud, you just can't keep them away. If family is looking for an excuse to visit, it's as good a time as any, but I wouldn't make the trip just for the ceremony.

Freakingzooming said:
hey does anyone know when the white coat ceremony will be?

If we wait and don't turn in the housing application now but later and it is received before June 30th, it won't affect our chance of getting a trio instead of a quad?

October 7

Renox9 had answered some of my questions regarding schedules for an MS1, but I wanted to know approx how many days/week during the Anatomy/Histology cycle are 9-5 days. I am trying to line up childcare for my son which is hard to do not knowing what my schedule will be. How far in advance did you MS1's get your schedule for the day/week? Is there any way to access this schedule on line? Thanks in advance for your help!
-P

idq1i said:
Absolutely not. You sit outside, in a big tent. Someone gives a speech about Medicine. Someone else reads the hippocratic oath to you. You don't even get to say it :rolleyes:

Here are a few pics from my class: http://www.nymc.edu/convocation/2003/index.htm

PS: but you do get free cake!

aw man- I thought it was in Carnegie Hall. Why so late into first year? I thought most schools stick the white coat ceremony into orientation. I went to Rush's in August or early September.

Freakingzooming said:
aw man- I thought it was in Carnegie Hall. Why so late into first year? I thought most schools stick the white coat ceremony into orientation. I went to Rush's in August or early September.

Graduation is at Carnegie. Yeah, so we are screwed up like that. Got a problem? :laugh:

I PMed this to someone in reply to a question. I figured I'd contribute my view on 1st block books to the rest of the incoming class. Main point: don't waste $$$. I'd like to think that my study methods work since I got H's in almost all 1st classes, and in all of 2nd year classes

<<Warning: desire to use proper grammar and spelling atrophies in advanced stages of step 1 preparation>> I did not proofread this

I was one of those people who never used review books. I will say that many of my classmates swore by the "small Moore" (abridged anatomy book). Many others get Netter's flashcards. There is also a Larsen review book (embyo) that people rave about. However, it is out of print - check your email when you get to campus - upperclassmen should be selling them.

Speaking of upperclassmen... When first year starts, you will be barraged by multiple daily emails about books for sale by 2nd and 3rd years. You will be able to pick up all the review books (and regular books too!!!) you want for $2-10 a book. Hold off spending money now - you can always pay full price at the bookstore

A couple of points about Histo:
DO NOT waste $$$ on cell bio books. You don't need them for class. Plus, you can find alberts for FREE online (pubmed)
Do get ross and Romwell. Most histo lecturers will refer to this particular book
Wheater's histo helps in lab - buy it

Anatomy:
Moore Anatomy: Good book. Get it!
Larsen embryo - get it only if you can't find the review book by same author
Radiology book: Ehh... somewhat useful. You can find better pictures online, for FREE
Netter: Hah! You do need it. If you didn't know, withdraw from med school now. :eek: Do not get the hardcover - no, it's not "cool"
Rohen: Picture of cadavers. Don't need. You can get the same effect from spending an extra hour in the anatomy lab before the exam

idq1i said:
I PMed this to someone in reply to a question. I figured I'd contribute my view on 1st block books to the rest of the incoming class
looks like that pm hit me too... here was my response:

For histology, use your undergrad cell/micro book ex. Alberts(The Cell) or Cooper or Lodish for the first part of the course. That all depends on how strong your bio background is. Most of the bio is simple cell bio so depending on your background you may not even need a reference. The rest of histo I would recommend Histology A Text and Atlas, Ross, M.H., Kaye, G.I. and Pawlina, W., 4th ed., 2003, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. It is a pretty through book.

Anatomy is mostly textbook/reference book based. The notes are slim at best. You need mandatory:
*Grant's Dissector 12th Edition by E.K. Sunderland
*Atlas of Human Anatomy by Netter
and one of the Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley books. Moore makes 3 different anatomy books nicknamed: big, little, tiny. Tiny is strongly advised aganist. I used little and big, and ended up liking big better. Everyone will tell you different things, the big is well bigger, thus more pictures and more text, the little moore is condensed with terse language which sometimes i found helpful. You also might find larsen's embryo book useful.

If I was you I really would relax, not go out and buy books unless you really feel you need to. Unlike undergrad, since everyone takes the same classes there are TONS of used books for sale at the beginning of the term, and the bookstore stays well stocked.

also, if you sign up for the AMA you get a free big moore (i think) soooo... you might want to wait. Afterall, the first week of school is orientation where you are relaxing and getting things like books. You don't really need all the books till second week. I don't think anyone showed up with textbooks in hand at orientation.

at the beginnning of orientation i felt a little wierd that everyone had different choices of books, and there was no single source, but that is med school. There are 3-4 different review books: pretest, brs, highyield,.... for everyclass plus all the texts. I would strongly urge you to study from real books, and use a review book for just that, review.
good nightall

Members don't see this ad :)
pumpkin628 said:
Renox9 had answered some of my questions regarding schedules for an MS1, but I wanted to know approx how many days/week during the Anatomy/Histology cycle are 9-5 days. I am trying to line up childcare for my son which is hard to do not knowing what my schedule will be. How far in advance did you MS1's get your schedule for the day/week? Is there any way to access this schedule on line? Thanks in advance for your help!
-P
http://dcdb.nymc.edu/

this will be a really useful sight for you in the future when you get a login. i am pretty sure without a login you can view the schedule for the first year, link on the front page. The schedule does change on occasion, but very rarely, and they give a week or more's notice.

Anybody know if pets are allowed in the dorms? Little semi-caged and litter-trained pets?

:D

I don't know about pets, but I was wondering if anyone had heard about room assignments yet? Or do we have to wait until after the June 30 deadline?

Thanks! Happy Friday to all.

idq1i said:
I PMed this to someone in reply to a question. I figured I'd contribute my view on 1st block books to the rest of the incoming class. Main point: don't waste $$$. I'd like to think that my study methods work since I got H's in almost all 1st classes, and in all of 2nd year classes

hey idq1i- thanks for the help and advice for us incoming first years. Whatcha planning on doing for summer?

this is a more general question directed to all nymcers- how hard is it to get honors? Like on average, is there a certain % of students who get it? do you find different professors grade so that a certain number of students only get honors?

Freakingzooming said:
hey idq1i- thanks for the help and advice for us incoming first years. Whatcha planning on doing for summer?

this is a more general question directed to all nymcers- how hard is it to get honors? Like on average, is there a certain % of students who get it? do you find different professors grade so that a certain number of students only get honors?

Summer? LOL. Peds then surgery

Honors: top 10-15% of the class (about 25 people, usually w/ an average >= 87). There may be exceptions with tough classes (Path II was H >= 84.8) Don't kid yourself if you think that these are "low" grades.

HP: next 15 % of the class

Pass: generally > 69-70% cumulative average

P/F mini-courses: Stats, ethics I and II. :sleep:
P/F big course: 2nd year Clinical Skills

SO, I'm a little late on the uptake (surprise, surprise). I'll be a first year in AUgust. I was supposed to be class of 2008, but then decided to defer. All in all, I will have been out 2 years which makes me 24. Does anyone know how many people are fresh out of college and how many have had a year or two off? Also, I've been spoiled here in NC by an apartment the size of a small house and my own bathroom. I'm thinking of living off campus. Has anybody heard anything about it (other than it's expensive). How many students live off campus? How horribly will it impact my (already nonexistent) social life?

Also, how about those loan packages? Anyone else having to take out the entire amount in loans? I pray I'm not the only one!!! Ok, I think that's about it.

Ashley
:)

nycmed8 said:
I don't know about pets, but I was wondering if anyone had heard about room assignments yet? Or do we have to wait until after the June 30 deadline?

Thanks! Happy Friday to all.

I emailed Candy Hack (housing director) and she said that all housing decisions will be made after the July 4th holiday and we will be notified right after that. Anyone else planning on living in the family/older student apartments?

Can you guys help me with a tough decision?

GW or NYMC???? Any thoughts?

(any insight you may have will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

tora said:
Can you guys help me with a tough decision?

GW or NYMC???? Any thoughts?

(any insight you may have will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Who is cheaper (ha!)? Who has a better match list? Who can you get some additional financial aid from? DC or NY?

One thing I will say for NY is that I liked the idea of being at a level I facility from day one. THey serve a lot of square mileage. Plus doing rotations in the city will be nice. I didn't really end up with a choice though. Good luck.

Having worked out my whole entire life and having seen the NYMC "gym" I was just wondering if anybody had suggestions regarding gyms to join. Which have good hours? Which are (somewhat) affordable? Is there one that's super close? Thanks in advance for the help.

Hey everyone. I really need some help. The lady from downstate called me this morning and offered me a position off the waitlist. Needless to say i am very happy about this, however, i really did not think i would have to make a decision on where i was going to go this late in the game. Did any of you have to choose between NYMC and downstate? I have read all of the forums but nothing sticks out besides cost. I know the upsides and the downsides to both, they seem very similar in all respects. Im really looking for some help here. I love NYMC, and from the minute i interviewed i knew that i would fit in. However, since i havent really thought about downstate much i really dont know what to do (im screwed in a good way). Can anyone who had to go through this give me some advice. I have 2 weeks to make my decision. Thanks

ascrimmins -
thanks for your input!

ive decided on NYMC! Yay class of 2009! :)

DonnyV17

If you are close enough, it might be a good idea to go and see the schools again and the areas around them.

For months I was trying to decide which school would be my top-choice (though I was accepted at one, waitlisted at another, and waiting for initial decision on the third). Finally the week I got all 3 acceptances, something clicked in me and told me Stony Brook was the best for me (the others were Albany and NYMC, which is why I'm reading this thread).

Try making a list of things that are important to you - cost, things to do around there, residency placements (like where you would want to be), school prestige (where you would be PROUD to be a med student). I really liked all the hospitals that Stony Brook matched into.

Don't worry, you still have 2 weeks, try your best to evaluate in this time, and you'll definitely make a good decision. It's easy to get stressed about the decision, rather than focus on the lifestyle you want.

If you have a pre-med office to discuss this with, that might help too. You can ask for advice on the pros and cons of both schools.

Good Luck! You'll definitely make the right choice!

ascrimmins said:
Having worked out my whole entire life and having seen the NYMC "gym" I was just wondering if anybody had suggestions regarding gyms to join. Which have good hours? Which are (somewhat) affordable? Is there one that's super close? Thanks in advance for the help.

NY Sports Club in White Plains gives a deal to NYMC students and the Tarrytown YMCA does as well. They'll have information about it usually during orientation week. Good luck ~ NYMC's my alma mater and I really enjoyed my time there. Have fun!

only 26 more days until school starts! yay! I'm excited to start school again, I've been out of undergrad for 3 years. Looking forward but kinda nervous too about moving from California to NY when I've lived in CA all my life.

Did anyone get their housing assignment in the suites yet? ARe the dorms wireless?

Also, (this is really important ;) ) is there cable TV hookups in every bedroom in the suites of just in the living room?

pyra said:
only 26 more days until school starts! yay! I'm excited to start school again, I've been out of undergrad for 3 years. Looking forward but kinda nervous too about moving from California to NY when I've lived in CA all my life.

Did anyone get their housing assignment in the suites yet? ARe the dorms wireless?

Also, (this is really important ;) ) is there cable TV hookups in every bedroom in the suites of just in the living room?

Yay! I am finalizing my move early this week. I've been out two years, so I'm nervous too!! I heard that they are processing housing assignments today, but wouldn't know too much because I am living off campus. I don't know about wireless, but I would assume you could bring a wireless router and make your room and apartment wireless!!

Anybody up for a pre-orientation drink/dinner/SOMETHING? I know most people won't be there until the 30th or 31st, though. Maybe something on the 31st?

I'm currently an '09 living in 1201, Grasslands II. (I started early for MD/MPH) The dorms will be wireless come this fall. Also, there are cable hookups in every bedroom.

rummaMD said:
I'm currently an '09 living in 1201, Grasslands II. (I started early for MD/MPH) The dorms will be wireless come this fall. Also, there are cable hookups in every bedroom.

Hey rummaMD,

How are things going in Valhalla thus far? Any specific things that we should look forward to or be prepared for? Good times so far??

Hey everyone!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all in a few weeks! Is everyone planning on moving in on Saturday (7/30)? I'm thinking that it could get pretty chaotic there if the whole class moves in on the same day. Anyway, I think getting together before orientation is a great idea!

Hey, I'm moving in on the 30th also, Does anyone know what times the move in goes from (I only live like 40 min from the schools but I still dont like waking up early to move in.) I'd also be down for a pre orientation hang out

cosmogirl said:
Hey everyone!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all in a few weeks! Is everyone planning on moving in on Saturday (7/30)? I'm thinking that it could get pretty chaotic there if the whole class moves in on the same day. Anyway, I think getting together before orientation is a great idea!

Im not moving in untill late sunday, I dont get back from my cruise untill the morning of the 31st. Anyway, if any of you are planning a pre-orientation get together im down.

boyz of 4d said:
Hey, I'm moving in on the 30th also, Does anyone know what times the move in goes from (I only live like 40 min from the schools but I still dont like waking up early to move in.) I'd also be down for a pre orientation hang out
I think it is 10-4 since that was last year's time slot, http://www.nymc.edu/orientation/2004/Orientation_Schedule_Class-of-2008.htm
Have fun!!!! I'll see ya'all when I get to campus 8/14, they give us a little more of a break. It is a mad house on sat. I showed up around 11 I think and there were lots of people, not unbearable, but it is move in and there was 10 other people moving thru the checkin stuff at the same time. After I moved in I went to my cousins going away party till late sunday, and everything worked out great!! Say, are any of you the 1st yr in my appt? 1113?

Has anyone received their housing assignments for the fall? I know they were working on it this week.

I havent received it yet and I live only 40 min from campus, but ill post on this when I receive it. Seeing you're from cali you shoudl prob receive a few days after me.

Dr Brentwood said:
Has anyone received their housing assignments for the fall? I know they were working on it this week.

hey everyone!

i just decided to attend nymc this fall!

does anyone have any info about living off campus - towns, buildings, etc???

thanks!

shortz said:
hey everyone!

i just decided to attend nymc this fall!

does anyone have any info about living off campus - towns, buildings, etc???

thanks!

White Plains - close, but expensive. Yonkers, not so close, but less expensive. The student housing office has off-campus listings too. I'm living off campus - my parents and I are buying a place in Yonkers. Try newyork.craigslist.org - there are lots of sublet, temp, and apartment ads up. Good luck!

rummaMD said:

What do you think about the MD/MPH program after having taken some classes. I'm planning on starting it this fall but was worried that I might be overwhelmed with the workload. Any comments?

Hey guys, just keeping you all up to date on my situation...

I just got my first Billing Statement from NYMC, and boy is that a scary thing to see. I've got 28k of "Anticipated Aid" coming in and 20k of "Charges" on my account. So does this mean that the office of the Bursar is going to cut me a check for 8k when the aid comes in? How do I know when the aid has come in, or is there anything further that I need to do? Currently, the bill says "Balace Due: 20k", but they're not expecting me to pay that are they? I mean, the aid will come through by August 1... I hope. Anyway I can check on this/make sure? so I stop worrying about it.

Also, I got the form to sign-up for Blue Cross health insurance, but fortunately, I'll be on my dad's work health insurance until 4th year, so I'll save some money there.

I also got a packet of info about registration procedures, and a bunch of forms to fill out and hand in on August 1.

No housing info yet though. (I sent it in 3 weeks ago along with the initial health/physical examination stuff.)

BTW -- would any current student be kind enough to explain how loan deferrment works there? Thanks!

I was looking into MD/MPH, but it seemed like too much work for me. If i want to pick it up later after MD, i might, but for me, it seemed too daunting... but kudos and good luck to those of you who are working on it now!

Anyone hear back about housing yet?

not yet, and getting a little concerned...

ruwan said:
not yet, and getting a little concerned...

I called the housing office today and they said they made assignments to SOME ppl already and those were mailed out today.

I called housing today and was notified that I recieved a four bedroom furnished apartment. The details, they said, would be mailed out next week. (I'm in Cali if that makes any difference.)

ruwan said:
I called housing today and was notified that I recieved a four bedroom furnished apartment. The details, they said, would be mailed out next week. (I'm in Cali if that makes any difference.)

Yeah- I got the 4 bedroom thing too. I was hoping for a trio but I guess all the returning students got them ahead of us. I dont know yet what my room number is.

I got my housing info today, im in grasslands 1312