NYMC acceptance-- reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RxnMan said:
Nefarious, your original post had a reason for not accepting that was confusing to others - a perceived lack of research opportunites at a med school. You eventually clarified things by giving a more accurate representation of your problem, but don't be upset that you got replies based upon information you originally presented.

Even after I clarified matters, there were still those individuals berating the mere concept of reapplication with an acceptance, all other clarifications and points aside. The same crew comes out of the woodwork for every such thread and no matter how detailed or reasonable the OP's reasons, they chant the same bitter bull****, born of cycle after cycle of failure.

Members don't see this ad.

nefarious said:
Even after I clarified matters, there were still those individuals berating the mere concept of reapplication with an acceptance, all other clarifications and points aside. The same crew comes out of the woodwork for every such thread and no matter how detailed or reasonable the OP's reasons, they chant the same bitter bull****, born of cycle after cycle of failure.

my first post in this thread. im gonna have to agree with nefarious. every time someone even throws out the idea of reapplication with an acceptance in hand 45 people (i'll call them naysayers for simplicity sake) come out of the woodworks to crucify him. they make all these arguments some of which actually have some validity, and some which make zero sense. so let me do my analysis of the naysayers' arguments.

1. Turning down an acceptance shows lack of true dedication to the ultimate goal of being a physician.
This is one of the more complicated issues. Yes, it is very possible this shows a lack of dedication to medicine. For example, I dont want my diploma to say NYMC, I want it to say Harvard (extreme example, I know). Yes that is a foolish reason, and it does show lack of dedication to medicine. For someone to say they want a more competitive residency as thier reason, im not sure where I stand on this, but maybe it does show lack of dedication to the ultimate goal. But there are 100s of reasons I can think about (research, location, learning/teaching style, etc.) that can warrant a desire to reapply, while still being focused on becoming a doctor.

2. If you didn't like school X why did you apply there?
These comments to me are just idiotic. If you ask me more than 50% of what you feel from a school can come from your interview day. You can think a certain school is just amazing on paper, and go and visit for your interview and absolutely hate it. I have a friend whose uncle and grandfather both attended columbia. He said it was his top choice for two years in undergrad then interviewed there and hated it. He ended up getting accepted but turned it down for emory. Moral: Sometimes it isnt even until after you are accepted to a school when you realize that you really cant see yourself going there.

3. It does not matter where you go to school, what matters your grades, your scores blah blah
I want to stab myself in the eye everytime I see this. Of course it matters where you go to school. Why the hell would 100s of kids turn down very good financial deals in state schools every year to attend private schools? Tell anyone that going to Harvard versus going to NYMC (not picking on NYMC, its just the school that the OP referred to) does not matter and see what they say.
And forget prestige for a moment... if you dont feel comfortable at a certain school then you probably wont do well, its that simple.

There are tons of kids that would give an arm and a leg to have an acceptance to med school, just be happy you are in somewhere
Ahh, my favorite. This comment has absolutely no bearing on someones decision to reapply. Today I didnt finish my lunch and threw away an entire half-sandwich. Millions of people would have given an arm and a leg for that sandwich. Shame on me, maybe I shouldnt eat tommorow...

nefarious said:
Funny how you resorted to swearing and insults instead of refuting anything I wrote. Have fun being angry by yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
RxnMan said:
Funny how you resorted to swearing and insults instead of refuting anything I wrote. Have fun being angry by yourself.

On a side note, nice MCATs RxnMan :cool:

RxnMan said:

What little there was in your post that pertained to me, I answered. I disagreed with your other comments regarding the supposed minor effect of school reputation, but frankly, I don't find back and forth discussion with you particularly interesting or worthwhile, so I opted (as is my right) not to respond.

Angry? Hardly, I only had to apply once :laugh: On the other hand, you always seem pretty defensive and irritated about this subject.

Thank you, flashinthepan. You nicely detailed all the ridiculousness that I simply chose--deliberately given my opinion of it--to label as bull****.

In particular, this ...
If you ask me more than 50% of what you feel from a school can come from your interview day. You can think a certain school is just amazing on paper, and go and visit for your interview and absolutely hate it.
... is spot on.

Ok. My screen name might suggest that I am offended by the OPs post, but I am going to be nice...

I was looking around in student doctor forums after being off the site for several months (once I got into NYMC, I saw no point in sticking around). However, I was curious to see if anybody I had been communicating with was going to have to reapply. The OP seems pretty misguided to me. Yes, the "name" of your school does carry some weight. However, when it comes to getting a residency program, it is how you perform that really determines your fate. Whether you went to Harvard or NYMC is not going to guarantee, or rule out any opportunities. That being said, the difference in quality between Tufts and NYMC is not anywhere near as dramatic as my other example. In short, I think the OP is making a big mistake. He is now running the risk of not getting in anywhere! Frankly, I am coming from Los angeles, and I initially thought I wanted to stay close to home too (especially since my mother is having chronic health problems). LA is a lot further from NY than Boston! However, I applied everywhere that I would be willing to go if I got in. I think moving to NY will be a great life experience, and the school is beautiful. Sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone a little bit, and the OP is throwing away a wonderful opportunity in favor of something that may, or may not pan out in the end. In addition, I don't know if posting this kind of thread in a forum meant for the poor souls who have been forced to go through this wretched process all over again is really appropriate. Troll?

NYMC MD 2B said:
Ok. My screen name might suggest that I am offended by the OPs post, but I am going to be nice...

I was looking around in student doctor forums after being off the site for several months (once I got into NYMC, I saw no point in sticking around). However, I was curious to see if anybody I had been communicating with was going to have to reapply. The OP seems pretty misguided to me. Yes, the "name" of your school does carry some weight. However, when it comes to getting a residency program, it is how you perform that really determines your fate. Whether you went to Harvard or NYMC is not going to guarantee, or rule out any opportunities. That being said, the difference in quality between Tufts and NYMC is not anywhere near as dramatic as my other example. In short, I think the OP is making a big mistake. He is now running the risk of not getting in anywhere! Frankly, I am coming from Los angeles, and I initially thought I wanted to stay close to home too (especially since my mother is having chronic health problems). LA is a lot further from NY than Boston! However, I applied everywhere that I would be willing to go if I got in. I think moving to NY will be a great life experience, and the school is beautiful. Sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone a little bit, and the OP is throwing away a wonderful opportunity in favor of something that may, or may not pan out in the end. In addition, I don't know if posting this kind of thread in a forum meant for the poor souls who have been forced to go through this wretched process all over again is really appropriate. Troll?
Okay, there's a huge difference in the quality of TUSM vs. NYMC. I've mentioned this before in other posts, but I'll say it again because it's important: Yankees suck!

Anyway, I doubt there's too much difference in the quality of education among most if not all US allopathic schools. Med school is med school, and we all learn the same crap. The OP had a chance to fulfill a dream that others would kill for, and now he has to face the possible consequences.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Since you have not attended medical school, you have no real idea of what specialty you will enter. It isn't a matter of what medical school (in this country) you attend but how well you do.

My medical school was decidedly at the bottom of the ranking lists yet we sent 4 people out of my class into Dermatology. Again, all four did very well in coursework and on boards. I am certain that provided you do extremely well in medical school at Valhalla and on boards, you should be able to match into whatever specialty you choose.

Do you REALLY believe that no one from NYMC has ever matched into Dermatology? Do you really believe that just by attending a certain medical school you will be able to match into Derm? Wow!

njbmd :)

Did anyone even read this post? :confused: I think it has the most relevant information for the OP. OP, do well on the USMLE's and get good grades at NYMC and you should have a shot at whatever residency you choose. Who knows, maybe during clinical rotations you will change your mind about specialty.

Hmmm.... urology applications...

Applicant A: 248 Step 1, honors on all but psych rotation - goes to GW
on interview comes across as arrogant and inflexible

Applicant B: 248 Step 1, honors on all but psych rotation - goes to UNLV
on interview is engaging and eloquent

(names have been changed to protect the innocent... but tier rankings have not)

personal experience... rank spot went to B. The prestige of the med school provided nada for the applicants. The spot went to the person who the committee felt would be the best fit for the program not what their school colors were.

rgerwin said:
That is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard all day.

I kind of agree....

ekydrd said:

personal experience... rank spot went to B. The prestige of the med school provided nada for the applicants. The spot went to the person who the committee felt would be the best fit for the program not what their school colors were.
thats funny, UNLV doesnt have a med school. what an amazing applicant!

TheDermo9000 said:
I got accepted and I'm considering reapplying to get into a more competitive school, especially since I'm considering derm. Do I or do I not?

I personally think this is STUPID!!! I graduated from NYMC and I'm in Dermatology. I'm a perfect example that a NYMC grad can get a coveted spot in Derm. In my graduating class, 3 people (including myself) were accepted into Derm!

NYMC's curriculum prepares you well for you USMLE Step 1 and 2. It can be rigorous, but it's good for you in the long run. I had strong board scores and believe this is a major reason why I got accepted into Derm. NYMC also is affiliated with a Derm residency program, which can be a major asset when you apply to Derm. If you start spending time with them early as a med student and impress them, they will write you excellent letters of recommendation and this will strengthen your Derm application.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC is garbage, but not because it's ranked low. The school works, I think unplanned, sink or swim idea. The geriatric teachers, seven to a class don't coordinate, the board tests are another hurdle as the classes are harder and don't correlate well. Scribes are poorly done, text books are rarely purchased due to their complete non-correlation. Dean Ayalla is a joke. The only impact of seen from her is packing the office with her cronies. There is no financial aid.
Go any where else if you can. I made a mistake. The admissions department is the best run part of the school.

I was quite impressed with NYMC's residency matches. I wouldn't give up that spot.

ekydrd said:

how dare you use UNLV as an example of a poor medical school...they have NEVER in THEIR HISTORY had a student score less than a 260 on Step 1

NEVER

TheDermo9000 said:
I got accepted and I'm considering reapplying to get into a more competitive school, especially since I'm considering derm. Do I or do I not?

:thumbdown:

Op:

If you've got the balls to make this kind of post to a bunch of struggling reapplicants have the balls to make up your own mind.

You guys sure are harsh on the guy. He was asking a question. He wasn't signing up to be target practice for the firing squad.

And I think the question has been answered. Go to NYMC- its ranking will not hurt your career choice. It's better to be in the better half at NYMC than bringing up the rear somewhere else.

flashinthepan said:
my first post in this thread. im gonna have to agree with nefarious. every time someone even throws out the idea of reapplication with an acceptance in hand 45 people (i'll call them naysayers for simplicity sake) come out of the woodworks to crucify him. they make all these arguments some of which actually have some validity, and some which make zero sense. so let me do my analysis of the naysayers' arguments.

1. Turning down an acceptance shows lack of true dedication to the ultimate goal of being a physician.
This is one of the more complicated issues. Yes, it is very possible this shows a lack of dedication to medicine. For example, I dont want my diploma to say NYMC, I want it to say Harvard (extreme example, I know). Yes that is a foolish reason, and it does show lack of dedication to medicine. For someone to say they want a more competitive residency as thier reason, im not sure where I stand on this, but maybe it does show lack of dedication to the ultimate goal. But there are 100s of reasons I can think about (research, location, learning/teaching style, etc.) that can warrant a desire to reapply, while still being focused on becoming a doctor.

2. If you didn't like school X why did you apply there?
These comments to me are just idiotic. If you ask me more than 50% of what you feel from a school can come from your interview day. You can think a certain school is just amazing on paper, and go and visit for your interview and absolutely hate it. I have a friend whose uncle and grandfather both attended columbia. He said it was his top choice for two years in undergrad then interviewed there and hated it. He ended up getting accepted but turned it down for emory. Moral: Sometimes it isnt even until after you are accepted to a school when you realize that you really cant see yourself going there.

3. It does not matter where you go to school, what matters your grades, your scores blah blah
I want to stab myself in the eye everytime I see this. Of course it matters where you go to school. Why the hell would 100s of kids turn down very good financial deals in state schools every year to attend private schools? Tell anyone that going to Harvard versus going to NYMC (not picking on NYMC, its just the school that the OP referred to) does not matter and see what they say.
And forget prestige for a moment... if you dont feel comfortable at a certain school then you probably wont do well, its that simple.

There are tons of kids that would give an arm and a leg to have an acceptance to med school, just be happy you are in somewhere
Ahh, my favorite. This comment has absolutely no bearing on someones decision to reapply. Today I didnt finish my lunch and threw away an entire half-sandwich. Millions of people would have given an arm and a leg for that sandwich. Shame on me, maybe I shouldnt eat tommorow...

Enjoyed reading your post.

i'm not even reading all of your posts-

as a 4th year medical student i can tell you that to sit a year out would be absolutely ridiculous. plus, you might not get in 2nd time around.

The OP certainly has the right to do whatever he wishes. There are certainly many valid reasons for turning down an acceptance and reapplying elsewhere in the future.

However, the reasons posted here just do not make any sense. For one, if the OP is solely interested in dermatology, I, for one, would question his motivation to practice medicine. The impression I get is that the applicant feels he is above practicing the daily grind of medicine, and would therefore only be happy in practicing a specialty in which he does not have to get his hands dirty treating the members of the great unwashed. My impression is that he read a couple of SDN posts and magazine articles, and decided that derm would be an easy way to make a killing financially.

I have nothing against dermatology. Nor do I feel the OP has to be dedicated to family practice in a rural area. However, I, like most of the previous posters on this thread, would like to see something more from the OP before giving him the benefit of the doubt regarding his interest in practicing medicine. The reaction so far is not suprising, nor is it undeserved.

Finally, school pedigree is not a very important factor in matching into a highly competitive specialty. You still need excellent Step 1 scores, excellent clerkship grades, and outstanding LORs to match into derm, whether you attend Harvard or NYMC. Does going to Harvard help? Sure. But it will not overcome a mediocre Step 1. Nor does simply attending classes at Harvard guarantee a good Step 1. It's rather presumptuous to assume that the OP is going to meet the remaining criteria, just as it is presumptuous to assume the OP can get accepted to Harvard.

NYMC is garbage, but not because it's ranked low. The school works, I think unplanned, sink or swim idea. The geriatric teachers, seven to a class don't coordinate, the board tests are another hurdle as the classes are harder and don't correlate well. Scribes are poorly done, text books are rarely purchased due to their complete non-correlation. Dean Ayalla is a joke. The only impact of seen from her is packing the office with her cronies. There is no financial aid.
Go any where else if you can. I made a mistake. The admissions department is the best run part of the school.

I'm at NYMC now, and I mostly disagree with this person (except fin aid). While it may seem like a "sink or swim" academic situation, its MED SCHOOL! they purposely drill you in premed classes to make sure you can swim already, so its expected. I presume all med schools are like this. I don't even know what you mean by "seven to a class don't coordinate." I;ve had no problem getting attention from profs when needed. Sweet match list. Cool students. Nice campus new facilities. Varied hospital associations. You messed up OP. Good luck anyway.