Take Acceptance or Reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDSCHOOLBOIIIIIII786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone just looking for some advice on what to do,

I recently applied to multiple schools but granted my fault I submitted late near October/September. This is my first app cycle and I am 22. My stats are as follows 3.91 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA, 505 MCAT, and solid EC. Because of my late submission and low MCAT I was only able to manage 1 MD II and one MD waitlist II which later led to rejection. I also applied to DO at 7 institutions and was able to get 4 II with acceptance to the 5 original established schools.

I know this question is asked alot but in my circumstance should I reapply to obtain the MD or ride out my DO acceptance?

Im just having second thoughts because I am not sure with DO my career goals may be limited with certain specialties being off limits or very difficult to attain with DO stigma. Im leaning on taking the DO to avoid wasting one year of re-application but not sure if it is the correct decision.

Looking forward to your guys thoughts and opinions! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the DO acceptance. The degree itself won't be a barrier to most specialties, and even in the more "reach" fields (e.g. neurosurgery, orthopedics), it is possible to get in. You'll have to bust ass with research and great Step scores, probably moreso than your MD counterparts, but it can be done. What's more, being a reapplicant with a low MCAT is rough. The late submission plays a role in your situation for sure, but I'd wager your success probably won't be that much greater on a second go-around. The risk-benefit isn't in your favor, in my opinion.

So yeah, take the A and go celebrate.

Reactions: 2 users
Echoing the above poster.

Take the DO. The risks you face and costs you will incur far outweigh the benefits of reapplying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. TLDR: take the A

Reactions: 3 users
Hmmm... I was once in a similar situation and honestly, after being near the end of training I've got to say going DO was the right choice for me. However it was much harder getting into my field of choice and I probably could have matched better programs if I'd gone MD, but eh, I'm still what I wanted to be and plenty happy with where I ended up

Thank you all for the words of wisdom! I was leaning on taking the DO but was just having a bunch of second thoughts. Thanks to you guys I feel a bit more at ease.

Take it.
Your mcat is low. Would be a different situation if your mcat is 514+

Hey Everyone just looking for some advice on what to do,

I recently applied to multiple schools but granted my fault I submitted late near October/September. This is my first app cycle and I am 22. My stats are as follows 3.91 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA, 505 MCAT, and solid EC. Because of my late submission and low MCAT I was only able to manage 1 MD II and one MD waitlist II which later led to rejection. I also applied to DO at 7 institutions and was able to get 4 II with acceptance to the 5 original established schools.

I know this question is asked alot but in my circumstance should I reapply to obtain the MD or ride out my DO acceptance?

Im just having second thoughts because I am not sure with DO my career goals may be limited with certain specialties being off limits or very difficult to attain with DO stigma. Im leaning on taking the DO to avoid wasting one year of re-application but not sure if it is the correct decision.

Looking forward to your guys thoughts and opinions! Thanks!
Take the DO offer.

Reactions: 1 user