NYMC acceptance-- reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDermo9000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted and I'm considering reapplying to get into a more competitive school, especially since I'm considering derm. Do I or do I not?

Members don't see this ad.

That is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard all day.

TheDermo9000 said:
I got accepted to NYMC and I'm considering reapplying to get into a more competitive school, especially since I'm considering derm. Do I or do I not?

.....my oh my....

To answer your question, do what you feel is right. A residency spot isn't given to you, you earn it. Wherever you go, you will need the grades, board scores, etc. Dropping an acceptance might one of the worst decisions you make. Good luck on your pursuit. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
this is really dumb. people are clamoring for spots to get admitted into medical school - in most cases - any school on a long list of choices, yet you are second guessing this acceptance? Take the acceptance, do well on the USMLE, and earn your way to a great residency. Handling an acceptance should be a no brainer.

Someone on the forum asked if they should reapply for this cycle even though they already got admitted to a school that they don't want to go to. Now, why would you apply to a school that you don't like, even if the school is a "safety" choice?

Spark up those flamethrowers boys! this one's gonna fry!

TheDermo9000 said:
I got accepted to NYMC and I'm considering reapplying to get into a more competitive school, especially since I'm considering derm. Do I or do I not?
I am interested in ortho, also a competitive speciality, and I'll be attending one of those 'less competitive schools.' I've spoken to several residency directors, the guys who decide who gets those residency spots. You know what they say? Nobody cares where you went to school. Nobody cares.

The prime determinants of residency placement are pre-clinical grades, clinical grades, AOA membership (med honor society), class rank, and USMLE Step I scores. All of these are dependent on how you take advantage of you med school experience, not the school attended.

Do what you want. There are many good reasons for giving up your spot and reapplying; this is not one of them.

With that motivation ... I know a few people who would LOVE to take your spot!

No, all jokes aside ... if you don't like the school, don't go! You'll be there for 2 years day in and day out. Give the spot to someone who is on the W/L and DREAMING of going!

my 2 cents.

Disclaimer: I'm a first year at NYMC.

If you didn't feel NYMC was "competitive" enough for you, why didn't you withdraw your application post-interview?

It's a huge gamble to turn down an acceptance and then start over. You have to acknowledge that you have done so in your next application, and there is no doubt that schools will question your dedication to medicine.

Although NYMC isn't as "competitive" for admission (what planet are we on that an avg. GPA of 3.5 and MCAT of 30 isn't competitive by the way?) as some other schools, the education you get here is top notch, as evidenced by our board scores and our match list.

With all that said, if you don't think you belong at NYMC, give up your spot. Hopefully someone who really really wants it will get it.

ms1finally said:
If you didn't feel NYMC was "competitive" enough for you, why didn't you withdraw your application post-interview?...(what planet are we on that an avg. GPA of 3.5 and MCAT of 30 isn't competitive by the way?)...if you don't think you belong at NYMC, give up your spot. Hopefully someone who really really wants it will get it.
Amen, brother.

Don't worry, at such a low-quality school you will easily be able to rise to the top of the class and earn straight As or Hs or whatever, without even having to stab anyone in the back. These grades, your reputation as a nice person and your all-encompassing ambition will ensure that you get the derm residency of your dreams. At a more "competitive" school you would just have to work a little harder for those perfect grades. Enjoy the easy life at NYMC, I'm sure it will be a stroll in the park.:D

MeowMix said:
Don't worry, at such a low-quality school you will easily be able to rise to the top of the class and earn straight As or Hs or whatever, without even having to stab anyone in the back. These grades, your reputation as a nice person and your all-encompassing ambition will ensure that you get the derm residency of your dreams. At a more "competitive" school you would just have to work a little harder for those perfect grades. Enjoy the easy life at NYMC, I'm sure it will be a stroll in the park.:D

:thumbup:

MeowMix said:

I agree, you should definitely withdraw and reapply; you totally deserve better than NYMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
RxnMan said:
I am interested in ortho, also a competitive speciality, and I'll be attending one of those 'less competitive schools.' I've spoken to several residency directors, the guys who decide who gets those residency spots. You know what they say? Nobody cares where you went to school. Nobody cares.

The prime determinants of residency placement are pre-clinical grades, clinical grades, AOA membership (med honor society), class rank, and USMLE Step I scores. All of these are dependent on how you take advantage of you med school experience, not the school attended.

Do what you want. There are many good reasons for giving up your spot and reapplying; this is not one of them.

This is not at all true. Med school reputation matters for residency. But that said, you only really get a boost if you go to one of the very top schools. Taking them out, it probably is true that it doesn't matter much.

By the way, the worse response to this kind of post is "If you're at the very top of your class and have amazing board scores, you'll have the same opportunities as someone from a top school." Well, uh, by definition, not everyone is at the top of their class. Assume you'll be average when you think about what your options will be.

beetlerum said:
This is not at all true. Med school reputation matters for residency. But that said, you only really get a boost if you go to one of the very top schools. Taking them out, it probably is true that it doesn't matter much.

By the way, the worse response to this kind of post is "If you're at the very top of your class and have amazing board scores, you'll have the same opportunities as someone from a top school." Well, uh, by definition, not everyone is at the top of their class. Assume you'll be average when you think about what your options will be.
Maybe so. I'm just retelling what I've been told by the residents, the faculty, and a Residency Program Director here at CU SOM. They could be wrong.

The OP is worried about their school limiting their options. My point is that the OP's performance in school, not that school's reputation, limits or helps their residency placement. Their own level of effort has more of an effect on their placement than any other factor, and so school reputation should not be a factor in this decision.

RxnMan said:
The OP is worried about their school limiting their options. My point is that the OP's performance in school, not that school's reputation, limits or helps their residency placement. Their own level of effort has more of an effect on their placement than any other factor, and so school reputation should not be a factor in this decision.

But this isn't true. So it makes no sense that school reputation shouldn't be a factor. School reputation is the one determinant of his success that he can control at this point. He can't count on being at the top of his class. It also will make med school less stressful to not worry as much about performance. Try asking on the allo board if reputation doesn't matter. Some people say it's the most important factor for getting into a top academic residency.

beetlerum said:
...Try asking on the allo board if reputation doesn't matter. Some people say it's the most important factor for getting into a top academic residency.
Check out any residency program website. They list what they look for when picking residents, and it's the same as what I've listed. But I'm sure some people will say anything - everyone's got an opinion.
beetlerum said:
School reputation is the one determinant of his success that he can control at this point.
Not really. The OP cannot choose which school they can go to - they only have one acceptance. They can only decide whether to definetly open up the opportunities an MD provides by taking the acceptance, or risk not having them at all in favor of a possible gain. My inquires into this subject show the possible gain of improved reputation is not the great influence the OP thinks it to be. I believe that the cost/benefits ratio does not bear out risking reapplication for this reason.
beetlerum said:
It also will make med school less stressful to not worry as much about performance.
Again, from my survey of SOM faculty, I have not heard that reputation can make up for performance (e.g., using 4.0 scale, 3.5 from Yale < 4.0 from CU-Boulder). In any case, you are defending the position of not working hard for the poor reason of making things 'less stressful.' If pre-meds want a field that was not stressful, then they should change professions.

beetlerum said:
But this isn't true. So it makes no sense that school reputation shouldn't be a factor. School reputation is the one determinant of his success that he can control at this point. He can't count on being at the top of his class. It also will make med school less stressful to not worry as much about performance. Try asking on the allo board if reputation doesn't matter. Some people say it's the most important factor for getting into a top academic residency.

I agree:Again to the OP, you should withdraw and reapply because you really could do better.

TheDermo9000 said:
I got accepted and I'm considering reapplying to get into a more competitive school, especially since I'm considering derm. Do I or do I not?

Get a life.... This is why people hate premeds!! What an obnoxious post. :mad:

USArmyDoc said:
Get a life.... This is why people hate premeds!! What an obnoxious post. :mad:
Wait a second man - you don't want to be part of the SND conspiracy, telling people to accept what they get and be ::GASP:: grateful!

RxnMan said:
Check out any residency program website. They list what they look for when picking residents, and it's the same as what I've listed. But I'm sure some people will say anything - everyone's got an opinion.
Not really. The OP cannot choose which school they can go to - they only have one acceptance. They can only decide whether to definetly open up the opportunities an MD provides by taking the acceptance, or risk not having them at all in favor of a possible gain. My inquires into this subject show the possible gain of improved reputation is not the great influence the OP thinks it to be. I believe that the cost/benefits ratio does not bear out risking reapplication for this reason.
Again, from my survey of SOM faculty, I have not heard that reputation can make up for performance (e.g., using 4.0 scale, 3.5 from Yale < 4.0 from CU-Boulder). In any case, you are defending the position of not working hard for the poor reason of making things 'less stressful.' If pre-meds want a field that was not stressful, then they should change professions.

Well, I've heard differently from residency programs. Also, the allo board does not share the preallo's opinion about the irrelevance of school reputation.

Some top schools do not even release rank or have grades that would allow calculation of a GPA (they may just have H and P, and only P during the preclinical years). Yet they still place better than lower ranked schools with GPA. So it's all just the stellar board scores, huh?

Look, I'm not saying that the OP should reapply. I'm also not saying that you can't get a top residency from a lower ranked program. But if the OP has some reason to think that he'll do better next time and he wants a competitive field, it's not unreasonable, in my opinion to reapply. And even if it is, you still shouldn't spread misinformation by saying that it wouldn't help him to get into a much higher ranked school. A better argument would be that he's unlikely to do much better next time and so it's not worse the risk.

TheDermo9000 said:

I think that's too much of a risk. Although it may be more beneficial to go to a top ranked school, the gain just wouldn't be worth the sacrafice. Going to any US medical school will give you the opportunity to make it into a competitive residency (granted you may not go to harvard to do your derm residency). If you withdraw your acceptance, you might be stuck not getting in anywhere the next time around. I think admissions committees might question your motivation, and that is one less thing you need when trying to get into not only a united states medical school, but a top ranked united states medical school. Plus I don't think one year is enough time to significantly improve an application. Save a year of your life, go to NYMC and be happy that you got into medical school!!!!

If you don't want the spot..I'll take it. Of course I have 2 years till I apply but you know...whatever. Granted it was a long time ago my dad is a grad from NYMC (back when it was still on 5th ave in nyc when it was a filthy pit of crime and drugs if that tells you anything). He turned down Tulane, and Michigan to go there..not like top top but still not shabby. He is now retired on the beach with a nice boat and trips all the time...just bought a new caddy.lol SO I think you have a chance to do alright even if you go to NYMC.

beetlerum said:
Well, I've heard differently from residency programs. Also, the allo board does not share the preallo's opinion about the irrelevance of school reputation.

Some top schools do not even release rank or have grades that would allow calculation of a GPA (they may just have H and P, and only P during the preclinical years). Yet they still place better than lower ranked schools with GPA. So it's all just the stellar board scores, huh?

Look, I'm not saying that the OP should reapply. I'm also not saying that you can't get a top residency from a lower ranked program. But if the OP has some reason to think that he'll do better next time and he wants a competitive field, it's not unreasonable, in my opinion to reapply. And even if it is, you still shouldn't spread misinformation by saying that it wouldn't help him to get into a much higher ranked school. A better argument would be that he's unlikely to do much better next time and so it's not worse the risk.

I don't know what allo board you are hanging out on that is (according to you) MORE obsessed with rankings and prestige of medical schools than pre-allo, but it's clearly not the one on SDN...

And, FYI some of those "low-ranked" schools have higher board scores than Harvard and the like. Go figure.

In any case, I'm calling troll on the OP. It's time to let this thread die with dignity, not like the bruised and battered old horse it's quickly becoming.

If the OP thinks he's "too good" for a school he will get what's coming to him
in the next round of applications.

socuteMD said:
I don't know what allo board you are hanging out on that is (according to you) MORE obsessed with rankings and prestige of medical schools than pre-allo, but it's clearly not the one on SDN...

And, FYI some of those "low-ranked" schools have higher board scores than Harvard and the like. Go figure.

In any case, I'm calling troll on the OP. It's time to let this thread die with dignity, not like the bruised and battered old horse it's quickly becoming.

If the OP thinks he's "too good" for a school he will get what's coming to him
in the next round of applications.

Can you provide a cite that there's a school outside, we'll say, the top 50 with higher average board scores than Harvard? If anything, that would support my argument. If the board scores aren't higher and there aren't sufficient grades to distinguish, how then are the Harvard kids beating out the lower ranked kids for residency, if not by school reputation?

beetlerum said:
Can you provide a cite that there's a school outside, we'll say, the top 50 with higher average board scores than Harvard? If anything, that would support my argument. If the board scores aren't higher and there aren't sufficient grades to distinguish, how then are the Harvard kids beating out the lower ranked kids for residency, if not by school reputation?

1) It's a citation. Not a cite.

2) No, I can't. Why not? Nobody knows Harvard's board scores, or many other schools scores for that matter. Some schools publish them, some schools don't. I do know that the University of Florida (not outside the top 50, but #50 this year) averages 235, which is close to 1 SD above the mean. Their admissions statistics are not as strong as many of the "top top" schools, but those board scores certainly are.

3) I don't necessarily think the Harvard kids are "beating out" the students from lower ranked schools. I know that some of the Harvard-affiliated hospitals have been salivating at the thought of recruiting some of my school-mates when they meet grads from my "low-ranked" school. And yes, this comes DIRECTLY from an attending at a Harvard-affiliated hospital who is also a tenured professor at Harvard Med. Similarly, at my "low-ranked" institution many (if not all) of our grads received their top pick in the match this year.

socuteMD said:
1) It's a citation. Not a cite.

2) No, I can't. Why not? Nobody knows Harvard's board scores, or many other schools scores for that matter. Some schools publish them, some schools don't. I do know that the University of Florida (not outside the top 50, but #50 this year) averages 235, which is close to 1 SD above the mean. Their admissions statistics are not as strong as many of the "top top" schools, but those board scores certainly are.

3) I don't necessarily think the Harvard kids are "beating out" the students from lower ranked schools. I know that some of the Harvard-affiliated hospitals have been salivating at the thought of recruiting some of my school-mates when they meet grads from my "low-ranked" school. And yes, this comes DIRECTLY from an attending at a Harvard-affiliated hospital who is also a tenured professor at Harvard Med. Similarly, at my "low-ranked" institution many (if not all) of our grads received their top pick in the match this year.

1. Uh, I used cite to be short for citation. Sorry if the informality violated your rules of forum grammar.

2. I believe a lot of schools publish their average scores every year. There may even be rankings. Anyway, you've implicitly conceded that you were just speculating.

3. Of course, they're "beating them out." They're competing for the same residency spots. I assume you're not saying that the reasons for the huge overrepresentation of top 10 grads in ultra competitive residencies is just self-selection.

Look, you obviously have a chip on your shoulder about going to a lower ranked school and are dispensing misinformation as a result. Just remember that you put the chip there. Everyone will concede that some of the best doctors come from lower ranked schools and that it is still possible, though more difficult, to get into an ultra top residency from a lower tier school.

Whatever.

Dead horse.

On the ground.

You just won't keep stepping on it, will you?

socuteMD said:
Whatever.

Dead horse.

On the ground.

You just won't keep stepping on it, will you?

Agreed. There really are a bunch of tools out there.

I don't understand why everyone is hating on beetlerum when he is only saying the obvious. of course your medical school attended matters when it comes to residency, why wouldn't it?
How good of a high school mattered when applying to college, how good of a college mattered when applying to med school, and now the caliber of med school will matter for residency. So if 2 applicants with the same board scores and similiar grades both apply to the same school with one being from UPitt and the other from GWU, who do you think will get a higher ranking from the residency director? Is school the most important thing, or even in the top 3 ..probably not. But why deny the obvious and then attack people who say it does matter. Any med school in the US is a great option, and you can match anywhere if you do well enough while at any school. BUT if you have two similiar people from two schools at the opposite of the perceived spectrum, then caliber will matter.
I was going to NYMC up until a month ago. Now I am going to Cinci. I made my choice based on prestige, opportunities, and cost. Although I would have been very happy going to NYMC, and anyone who would reapply rather than going there in my opinion is crazy

Sure it's nice to go to Harvard, and it does help. But reapplicants are looked upon with suspicion, and you stand a chance of not getting in AT ALL or having to go to a DO school. Unless you have some clear reason why you'd do a lot better on reapplication, it's probably not a good idea.

there are what less than 300 spots for derm?

if you "only" got into nymc this year, what makes you a better candidate next year? if you can improve yourself significantly, sure by all means reapply. i think many people already said what needed to be said, but why did you only get into nymc?

that being said, there was one derm spot that went to nymc this year. so if you want it and work it, you can get it; however, if you want to get a spot outside of ny, or your typical northeast region, then you may also reconsider.

nymc by no means is a walk in the park. i believe our passing rate is somewhere in the high 90s (first time). i think that speaks for itself....

ps. please dont let me find out who you are and if i do, i'll personally come and kick your a*s..... that is if you decide that nymc is good enough for you.

how hard is it for the OP to do very well in the first two years and transfer out?
is that possible at all. i hear there are quite a number of schools where you can transfer into the 3rd year

flashinthepan said:
how hard is it for the OP to do very well in the first two years and transfer out?
is that possible at all. i hear there are quite a number of schools where you can transfer into the 3rd year

i dont think it'll be easy. most schools will only take students when they have spots open.... meaning either people dropped out, or had to repeat.... so, usually no more than 5/year? so let's say op did exceptionally well.... he'd have to worry about applying to other schools while he's preparing for step 1. most schools will probably also want to see your step 1 score before they give you the final go.

moral:
1. go to nymc and suck it up and do well, still have a shot at derm.
2. package self so well, so get into a top 10 school... (i still want to know why op only got into nymc to begin with, unless he got one of those full ride spot, then i'll shut my trap)

nymcstudent said:
there are what less than 300 spots for derm?

if you "only" got into nymc this year, what makes you a better candidate next year? if you can improve yourself significantly, sure by all means reapply. i think many people already said what needed to be said, but why did you only get into nymc?

that being said, there was one derm spot that went to nymc this year. so if you want it and work it, you can get it; however, if you want to get a spot outside of ny, or your typical northeast region, then you may also reconsider.

nymc by no means is a walk in the park. i believe our passing rate is somewhere in the high 90s (first time). i think that speaks for itself....

ps. please dont let me find out who you are and if i do, i'll personally come and kick your a*s..... that is if you decide that nymc is good enough for you.

My indecision mostly had to do with the fact that I've lived in Boston my whole life, and I really don't want to leave. So I've withdrawn my NYMC acceptance and I'm reapplying. I'm still waitlisted at Tufts and I've got a great research job here, so i'm equipped to give it another shot. I'm also firmly decided on Emergency Medicine now... if i'm being honest with myself, it's what i've always wanted. Derm was just a brief consideration (I did say "considering"), and it was really just an excuse for me to avoid addressing my real issues with leaving Boston. Thank you for the kind words, though.

TheDermo9000 said:
My indecision mostly had to do with the fact that I've lived in Boston my whole life, and I really don't want to leave. So I've withdrawn my NYMC acceptance and I'm reapplying. I'm still waitlisted at Tufts and I've got a great research job here, so i'm equipped to give it another shot. I'm also firmly decided on Emergency Medicine now... if i'm being honest with myself, it's what i've always wanted. Derm was just a brief consideration (I did say "considering"), and it was really just an excuse for me to avoid addressing my real issues with leaving Boston. Thank you for the kind words, though.

thank you for at least being honest with yourself. but you do miss out by not coming to nymc, there are plenty of crazy red sox fans here :) and com'on nymc is only 4 hrs away. dont you want to be out of boston? there are pleny of Cali kids here. We arent called UC Valhalla for nothing...

for EM, you can probably go anywhere, not to say it's easy, but probably considerably easier than derm.

like you said if you are only considering boston, your choices are limited.

i wish you luck. but do remember, reapplying is always a little harder than the first time. i dont want to move may not be your best answer......

After reading this thread all I can say is WOW. The OP should have this thread appended to his AMCAS application for next year, and that way all the schools can truly see his "dedication" to medicine.

There are plenty of people out there that would give an arm and a leg for a chance to go to med school. This is just sad to say the least.

ABTornado said:
After reading this thread all I can say is WOW. The OP should have this thread appended to his AMCAS application for next year, and that way all the schools can truly see his "dedication" to medicine.

There are plenty of people out there that would give an arm and a leg for a chance to go to med school. This is just sad to say the least.

You have no right to question other people's dedication. Everyone has to make their own decisions. This is truly one of the most obnoxious aspects of SDN.

TheDermo9000 said:

Are you sure that Tufts is good enough for you? :rolleyes:

I didnt want to post on this thread but I think its hilarious. Believe it or not some people do come to NYMC over tufts. I am one of those people, so I know its true. There is more to medical school than a ranking. In addition, does anyone else find it weird that someone who is having so much trouble getting into medical school wantED to do derm, and now has switched to ER, a none the less competive, although not as competitive field. I was just wondering, what makes you think that with all the struggle you are having to get in, you're going to magically become a stellar student and get into a competitive residency? That being said, if your answer is hard work, hard work out of any medical school in the country gives you the opportunity to match at good programs. Also in addition, if you look at both match lists, i think it would be hard to say one is really better than the other (take a look at both before you say tufts is better because of the name of the school.) I also find it funny how you changed your true calling to ER so suddenly, without any real experience in the field, unless you've had a sudden epiphany between posts. That being said, dont start flame threads, all schools in america are good schools, and what you may not like as a school, may be someones first choice. I personally think it would be hilarious if you didnt get in anywhere and had to leave the country.

silas2642 said:
Are you sure that Tufts is good enough for you?

boyz of 4d said:
I didnt want to post on this thread but I think its hilarious. Believe it or not some people do come to NYMC over tufts. I am one of those people, so I know its true. There is more to medical school than a ranking. In addition, does anyone else find it weird that someone who is having so much trouble getting into medical school wantED to do derm, and now has switched to ER, a none the less competive, although not as competitive field. I was just wondering, what makes you think that with all the struggle you are having to get in, you're going to magically become a stellar student and get into a competitive residency? That being said, if your answer is hard work, hard work out of any medical school in the country gives you the opportunity to match at good programs. Also in addition, if you look at both match lists, i think it would be hard to say one is really better than the other (take a look at both before you say tufts is better because of the name of the school.) I also find it funny how you changed your true calling to ER so suddenly, without any real experience in the field, unless you've had a sudden epiphany between posts. That being said, dont start flame threads, all schools in america are good schools, and what you may not like as a school, may be someones first choice. I personally think it would be hilarious if you didnt get in anywhere and had to leave the country.

I think this thread is pretty frickin' hilarious too. I was definitely being incredibly sarcastic when I wrote my last post, in case you can't tell. The fact of the matter is, with very rare exception, any of the US schools are very good and set you up for a successful career assuming you work hard and do your part to succeed.

If the OP didn't want to leave Boston, then why apply to NYMC? He is going to be one hurting cowboy if next August comes around and he is standing completely empty handed.

TheDermo9000 said:

Then why did you apply to NYMC in the first place??? Are you for real?

boyz of 4d said:
I personally think it would be hilarious if you didnt get in anywhere and had to leave the country.

What a nice sentiment.

Look, the dude asked for opinions on a legitimate issue. He got maybe one useful response (the NYMC student posting about derm and maybe the one about the match rates). Do people have such fragile egos that someone can't post a legitimate question for fear of hurting people's feelings? Ironically, though, the NYMC student seemed less "threatened" than other people.

it has nothing to do with egos, I was successful in my application process (I had 8 acceptances, so im pretty confident in my abilities), but I would post in any such thread taking stabs at any medical school, I've posted in a lot of RFU one's. If the OP did any research on his own he would have known the answer. Instead he decided to take the sentiment of other people and basically put down another school without looking at anything. Bottom line it is stupid and I think it would be hilarious if he didnt get in next year, it would be a true slap in the face.

beetlerum said:
Look, the dude asked for opinions on a legitimate issue. He got maybe one useful response (the NYMC student posting about derm and maybe the one about the match rates). Do people have such fragile egos that someone can't post a legitimate question for fear of hurting people's feelings? Ironically, though, the NYMC student seemed less "threatened" than other people.

First off, bettlerum, you are awesome. A couple of months ago, I posted a thread similar to the OP's about deferring and reapplying. You were one of the very few who carefully considered all of the arguments and formed a calm, logical response rather than launching into the crazed "GO GO GO, never turn an acceptance or you're a stupid, undeserving fool" tirades. I appreciated your rational input then and I'm sure the OP appreciates it now.

A fact that is frequently dismissed (especially in the re-applicant forum) is that for most students, finding acceptance to medical school is not the penultimate step in their careers. Some of us have had the great fortune of significant experience in various health and research fields that have allowed us to form an early decision about the desired end result of our medical education. While obtaining those residencies is, in great part, determined by the effort of the individual, the school itself is a factor, if not by virtue of its reputation, but in the breadth of opportunities it provides (particularly if you are research focused). Is it possible at any medical school to construct a record/CV that will blow the rest of the competition out of the water for residency? Of course. The caveat? You’ll probably have to work three times harder outside of the classroom to bring your profile even on par with a student from a top ranked school.

beetlerum said:
You have no right to question other people's dedication. Everyone has to make their own decisions. This is truly one of the most obnoxious aspects of SDN.

exactly.

TheDermo9000 said:

Hi there,
Since you have not attended medical school, you have no real idea of what specialty your will enter. It isn't a matter of what medical school (in this country) you attend but how well you do.

My medical school was decidedly at the bottom of the ranking lists yet we sent 4 people out of my class into Dermatology. Again, all four did very well in coursework and on boards. I am certain that provided you do extremely well in medical school at Valhalla and on boards, you should be able to match into whatever specialty you choose.

Do you REALLY believe that no one from NYMC has ever matched into Dermatology? Do you really believe that just by attending a certain medical school you will be able to match into Derm? Wow!

njbmd :)

nefarious said:
First off, bettlerum, you are awesome. A couple of months ago, I posted a thread similar to the OP's about deferring and reapplying. You were one of the very few who carefully considered all of the arguments and formed a calm, logical response rather than launching into the crazed "GO GO GO, never turn an acceptance or you're a stupid, undeserving fool" tirades. I appreciated your rational input then and I'm sure the OP appreciates it now.

A fact that is frequently dismissed (especially in the re-applicant forum) is that for most students, finding acceptance to medical school is not the penultimate step in their careers. Some of us have had the great fortune of significant experience in various health and research fields that have allowed us to form an early decision about the desired end result of our medical education. While obtaining those residencies is, in great part, determined by the effort of the individual, the school itself is a factor, if not by virtue of its reputation, but in the breadth of opportunities it provides (particularly if you are research focused). Is it possible at any medical school to construct a record/CV that will blow the rest of the competition out of the water for residency? Of course. The caveat? You’ll probably have to work three times harder outside of the classroom to bring your profile even on par with a student from a top ranked school.
But then again, folks like to focus on the admittedly minor points of an arguement in favor of the overall picture:
beetlerum said:
The chance is remote that the OP finds a cure for cancer (or similarly significantly improves their application) in one year, and thereby making them a candidate at a top school, the only case where a school's reputation will affect residency placement. Even then, the effect of reputation still pales compared to your class rank, grades, and USMLE score. Arguing for a minor effect in the limiting case of a limiting case is of little value.

Nefarious, your original post had a reason for not accepting that was confusing to others - a perceived lack of research opportunites at a med school. You eventually clarified things by giving a more accurate representation of your problem, but don't be upset that you got replies based upon information you originally presented.