NYITCOM (Long Island) vs. WesternU COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
I am deciding between these 2 schools. Can anyone speak on their reputations? I don't really have a preference for east coast vs. west coast.

Which school would give me a better chance of getting into a specialty medicine?
How do their clinical rotations/residencies match?
How do their student resources/faculty support compare?

Western's campus and facilities are much more modern and it has on-campus housing which is nice. They also have great match rates, and higher stats from matriculants. But, I hear there is a larger bias against DO as far as residencies in California compared to NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Which school would give me a better chance of getting into a specialty medicine?
That is pretty self-determined. How you do on board scores, how much research you do, and how well you audition/interview is really up to you.

Western's campus and facilities are much more modern and it has on-campus housing which is nice
It's nice but expensive and it's in Pomona which isn't the best area. The main advantage is you can roll out of bed and be in class in 5 mins but most classes are not mandatory anyways
larger bias against DO as far as residencies in California compared to NY.
There is a decent bias against DOs in huge academic places for certain specialties but for not every specialty. Also, you can match at some of those places, just much harder. We had PMR match at UCLA, Peds and pathology at Stanford, EM and anesthesia at UC Davis, IM at UCI, multiple across all specialties at Loma Linda, think we had an USC match but i forgot which specialty.

If you want to do IM in an ivory tower, you prob wont be able to from either COMP or NYIT

There are a lot more residency programs in the NYC region that are DO/IMG friendly but some of them also have malignancy issues so yeah...

That is pretty self-determined. How you do on board scores, how much research you do, and how well you audition/interview is really up to you.

It's nice but expensive and it's in Pomona which isn't the best area. The main advantage is you can roll out of bed and be in class in 5 mins but most classes are not mandatory anyways

There is a decent bias against DOs in huge academic places for certain specialties but for not every specialty. Also, you can match at some of those places, just much harder. We had PMR match at UCLA, Peds and pathology at Stanford, EM and anesthesia at UC Davis, IM at UCI, multiple across all specialties at Loma Linda, think we had an USC match but i forgot which specialty.

If you want to do IM in an ivory tower, you prob wont be able to from either COMP or NYIT

There are a lot more residency programs in the NYC region that are DO/IMG friendly but some of them also have malignancy issues so yeah...
Thank you so much!