DMUCOM vs. NYITCOM (Long Island)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flockofducks

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I would really appreciate it if some current students from DMU and NYIT could give some advice about my choice.

For some background: I am originally from downstate NY and currently live in the NYC metro area. I was accepted to DMU in February, and just got off the waitlist to NYITCOM today (with two days to respond).

Right now, I'm feeling like DMU would provide a better/happier preclinical time, but NYIT would provide a better experience in rotations. Right now, I think I would like to eventually practice on the east coast, but I don't know if I will feel the same way in the future.

NYITCOM Pros:
  • About a two hour drive from home (but through NYC traffic *eyeroll*)
  • Great clinical sites in/around NYC
  • Amazing match list at hospitals in/around NYC
NYITCOM Cons:
  • I am really unattracted to Long Island campus. I grew up in suburbs similar to this area of Long Island and I know I would not be happy in this environment
  • Cost of living on Long Island/in NYC is really high. I would personally prefer to not have roommates if I can help it (for my sanity and theirs!)
  • It seems like a lot of students at NYITCOM commute into Old Westbury for school, and I don't know how I feel about that in terms of making friends and connections (or am I just delusional for thinking I will have time to hang out with friends haha).
DMU Pros
  • The brand new campus looks amazing! This is a big draw for me
  • I have not gotten the chance to visit yet as I am on the east coast, but Des Moines honestly looks like a very nice place to live. Even though Iowa is pretty suburban/rural, Des Moines looks like a cute small city with lots to do
  • It seems like a lot of students that go to DMU live in the same general area within a 5-10 minute driving distance of the school, which I like
  • Low cost of living, and I wouldn't have to have a roommate
  • Big community of other students in different med programs
  • Also has a great match list
DMU Cons
  • Does not match as many students to the east coast/many students match into the Midwest
  • Rotations seem like kind of a crapshoot, and I'm concerned about the "Central Iowa Cohort" option... as someone that would be from out of state with no family around, I don't like the idea of possibly having to repeatedly having to pack up and move.
  • Generally being far from my family
Other considerations; I don't really mind going so far away for school? It would be nice to be close to family, but at the same time, I have always loved exploring new places and I think I will do okay with adjusting to a new home. I'm familiar with Long Island, and I honestly don't think I would be happy there. I know NYITCOM would be better for matching in the NYC area/east coast, but I'm conflicted because I feel like I would perform better academically somewhere where I'm more content.

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from NYITCOM-LI and I had a really good experience. Great school culture, education, and rotation sites. Our match list this year was really good, with fields like neurosurgery and derm represented. With respect to your cons, the campus is beautiful but if you want a more urban feel, it's pretty close to Queens/NYC so you can still get that if you want it. I would say most students don't commute from that far and are close to campus. Most people have roommates and people are always hanging out outside class. The COL concern is valid, it's insane around NYC. Any other specific questions feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated from NYITCOM-LI and I had a really good experience. Great school culture, education, and rotation sites. Our match list this year was really good, with fields like neurosurgery and derm represented. With respect to your cons, the campus is beautiful but if you want a more urban feel, it's pretty close to Queens/NYC so you can still get that if you want it. I would say most students don't commute from that far and are close to campus. Most people have roommates and people are always hanging out outside class. The COL concern is valid, it's insane around NYC. Any other specific questions feel free to ask.
Thank you! This is really helpful. What was your experience with your rotations like? Did you have to apply to rotation sites or submit a ranked list, or did the school place you at sites?

Essentially the same
Up to you then if you want to stay closer to family and be in NY, or try something new. Most people who attend DMU likely are from the Midwest and want to stay in that region. You would still have a strong tie to the NE when you apply for residency since you grew up there.

I wouldn't suggest getting unknown roommates though and risking a bad choice. Easier after the first year if you become good friends with a classmate and get to know their habits.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! This is really helpful. What was your experience with your rotations like? Did you have to apply to rotation sites or submit a ranked list, or did the school place you at sites?
They have a ton of rotation sites you can choose from. I'm assuming you're asking with respect to third year. You can do your rotations at a single hospital (from which there are many to choose from), or rotate at a bunch of different hospitals. Meaning you do surgery at one site, then internal medicine at another, then OBGYN at another, etc.

I also wouldn't discount how important it is to have family close by. Med school is really hard and I'm sure you're aware by the end of it 75% of your classmates will be on psychiatric medication. Having a good support system that you can drive to on a moments notice can make a world of difference.

Reactions: 1 user