nursing certificates behind names

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as nurses not getting in trouble for following MD orders, there are two nurses in New Orleans that may be convicted of murder for doing just that.

Way to change the discussion into something so far from the OP that the discussions are not even related. The NO case is a piece of political grandstanding and you know it. It will go nowhere. And has nothing to do with "following orders" but the question of "were the orders legal". Not even remotely generalizable. You are usually better than that Carol.

- H

Members don't see this ad.

Are nurses required to put all their certificates or degrees behind their names, like sally jones, RN, CCRN, CRNP, TNCC? I've seen nurses running around with like 4 different "degrees" behind their names.. just curious what the deal is with that.

BTW, what on earth do these stand for, besides Registered nurse of course? It's like you need a degree to figure out what the nurses got their degrees in.

Hi, there. I usually just lurk in this forum because my wife is a PA student and I like to keep current on topics she will face when she is done with school. I was reading this thread and it reminded me of something I read in JEMS. It is by Dr. Bledsoe, I am not a huge fan, but sometimes he has some good points. Anyway, it kind of addresses both the alphabet soup discussion and the ACLS discussion. Enjoy the read.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
why aren't you a bledsoe fan? the dude is my hero. worked his way up the ladder in ems from emt-basic to paramedic to physician . he writes the text used in most medic programs and is very involved with ems/emergency education at all levels. I want to be him when I grow up.....
and he's a DO which means he's probably a nice guy too.....

why aren't you a bledsoe fan? the dude is my hero. worked his way up the ladder in ems from emt-basic to paramedic to physician . he writes the text used in most medic programs and is very involved with ems/emergency education at all levels. I want to be him when I grow up.....

Oh, I think here is extremely knowledgeable and has done a lot to further education and the practices in EMS and I respect him, but that doesn't mean I am a fan. Mostly, I am just not a big fan of his writing style. To me, it comes off a little preachy and "holier-than-thou." I also don't understand how he writes "objective" scientific papers on HEMS when he is so publically adamant against flying. I am not commenting on if he is right or wrong, just that his biasness must be considered when evaluating his papers which undermines his purpose.

And even though I am applying to allopathic schools, I do notice that DO's tend to be friendlier.

well E, he is a nice guy. I met Dr. Bledsoe at an EMS conference and spent a few minutes speaking with him about his progression from EMT to Physician and medical school. He's very personable and funny to boot.

-Jambi