nursing certificates behind names

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree about ACLS. There's no need for it if you're not working in an area where it's likely to be needed. I can't imagine why BLS wouldn't be sufficient for a psychologist.

Part of me thinks that AHA keeps changing the guidelines just to give their people something to do and to irritate those of us who have to take the classes.

Members don't see this ad.

you agree with them but not me when I say the same thing?
( and no, not married to someone in medicine or nursing-just tired of the PERSISTENT attacks made by rn and np organizations against the pa profession)

emedpa, if I agree with "them" and you said the same thing, than I agreed with you!
I wasn't wondering if you are married to a nurse type, rather if you were:)

Meg and psisci - you should get out more. Lots of hospitals don't require ACLS for their physicians. Likewise, unless RN's use it in their particular area of practice (ER, ICU, PACU, NICU, etc.), many of them aren't required to have it either. BLS is a different story - most hospitals require everyone from housekeeping staff to CEO to maintain their certification.

Ditto on the "need to get out more". Remember folks, for a physician ACLS is a guideline, not a law. There are many exceptions to the ACLS "rules", some not even covered in the class, that the physician running a resus is responsible for knowing. ACLS does nothing to relieve that liability and responsibility.

And what of those who "do it" daily? How often should they recert? Where I work, ACLS resus is a multiple times a day occurrence. Should I, every two years, sit through a class taught by a nurse who has never had the responsibility of, nor the legal right to, "run the code" autonomously? Why? Will it make me a better physician? Will it relieve my employer of some liability (honestly ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I do realize that, in this setting the standard of care would be to administer drug x, but Nurse so-and-so, while teaching my ACLS class, said the doctors he/she worked with really preferred drug y. I realize the nurse wasn't sure why drug y is "better", but...)

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
jwk, perhaps it is you who should get out more. The reason I had to take it was because it was in the medical staff bylaws that every member of the medical staff had to take it. Being as nurses, midlevels, and thereapists are not "members" of the medical staff it was up to each of their depts whether they had to take it. Changing medical staff bylaws is alot more ardous than making a few people take ACLS who will never use it..I tried. The reason it did not happen is because the DDS, and DPM's on staff insisted they needed it in some form of MD envy, otherwise all 3 of us could have been excluded. Ca. law does not allow medical staffs to discriminate against any one member type (MD,DDS, PHD etc.) even if we wanted them to.

jwk, perhaps it is you who should get out more. The reason I had to take it was because it was in the medical staff bylaws that every member of the medical staff had to take it. Being as nurses, midlevels, and thereapists are not "members" of the medical staff it was up to each of their depts whether they had to take it. Changing medical staff bylaws is alot more ardous than making a few people take ACLS who will never use it..I tried. The reason it did not happen is because the DDS, and DPM's on staff insisted they needed it in some form of MD envy, otherwise all 3 of us could have been excluded. Ca. law does not allow medical staffs to discriminate against any one member type (MD,DDS, PHD etc.) even if we wanted them to.
The reason I said that is because both of you assumed that all hospitals require all of their medical and nursing staffs to have ACLS certification, which they don't.

DDS and DPM should have it - they're often giving sedation for their procedures. And I do understand the politics of having everyone on the medical staff regardless of their designation having it, although from a practical standpoint, I can't see that a psychologist would ever use it.

No I said medical staffs, nothing about nursing, and at the hospitals I have worked at. I was just stating my experience...

The C in CRNA is "Certified". the C in CNM is "Certified". Depending on the state, they may or may not hold a specific addendum to their license allowing them to practice.

From what I've read, all 50 states provide licensure for CRNA's, CNM's, and NP's. The majority of states actually follow the NCSBN's APRN regulatory principles. Here's the page.https://www.nursingworld.org/news/aprn.pdf Pages 23-25 are pertinent.

So, I'll stick w/ what I said earlier. CFRN is the daddy of 'em all! (APRN's excluded, as they always were.);)

Have fun!

I actually just took a look at what is required to get a CEN.. apparently no training hours or course or experience.. just 75% of answers correct on a multiple choice exam.

It has been my experience that attendings, residents, etc barely know the names of their nurses (since they switch 3 times a day and many times don't stay with the same patient the next day). They definitely don't know/care what certifications nurses have. Floor nurses are hired by the human resources dept in a hospital and are supervised by a nurse manager, and if floor nurses don't perform well, it's usually not the attending's job to reprimand them. I'm not saying this is the right way to do things but I'm finding it surprising to believe that people are putting certificates behind their name to allow attendings to trust them more.

Personally, I'd rather have a nurse with 30 years of experience in the ER who was only an RN taking care of my patients as opposed to freshly-minted Nurse Betty, BSN, CEN, CCRN, etc

While I am not aware of the requirements for CEN or CCRN, most certifications do indeed require a substantial amount of specialty hours and there are no "freshly minted" nurses with them. My certification in Oncology required a minimum number of hours working with primary oncology patients, before testing was permitted. And since few onco units handle onco exclusively, the hours get prorated to the percentages of onco patients. Thus few people can test until 18-24 monthes. Plus there are educational requirements. For renewal, I have to get 100 hours of CE (65 in onco)...I generally get 160 or more in my renewal period.

I am a traveler, have been here 5 monthes, and I guarantee you every single attending on my unit KNOWS my name. Especially since I am a constant, unlike interns/MS/residents that rotate in and out every two to three weeks. I have worked on units for less than 6 weeks and still have every Onco know my name and be impressed with my skill level, and say so.

Floor nurses may be seen by HR, but they are hired and fired by their nurse manager.

It is most certainly not an attending's job to reprimand ANY nurse as we do not work for them and are not under their supervision. We are NURSES not Doctors. Doctors supervise doctors and nurses supervise nurses. If an MD has a problem with a nurse, s/he goes to the nurse or the nurse manager and works it out as they would with another professional.

Very few MDs really have a true concept of nursing scope of care. Given the number of MDs writing orders for nursing to TPA a chest tube, obviously they get very little teaching on nursing scope of care/legalities in their state.

I have also seen plenty of MDs with a string of initials following their name on IDs, building tags, and advertisements.

This post is part of the problem in healthcare, nurses should be supervised by doctors. Not job supervision, but clinical supervision. Nurses have to carry out Dr orders and if they feel they can disagree and take it through some nursing heirarchy before they honor the order, that is a problem. I have seen it happen, and the barrage of BS that comes from the nursing union in support of any nurse questioning an order regardless of merit.

:thumbdown:

This post is part of the problem in healthcare, nurses should be supervised by doctors. Not job supervision, but clinical supervision. Nurses have to carry out Dr orders and if they feel they can disagree and take it through some nursing heirarchy before they honor the order, that is a problem. I have seen it happen, and the barrage of BS that comes from the nursing union in support of any nurse questioning an order regardless of merit.

:thumbdown:

Thanks for giving me the best laugh of the day! :laugh:

No, dear...MDs are a different profession, and few MDs know anything about nursing practice as given by the erroneous statements on this BB and the inappropriate orders that I have seen written in my career.

Part of it is checks and balances. I have dealt with enough incompetents (they are in both fields) and egoists (ditto the previous comment) to know that both are important to the patient's health.

You are an MD, fine...but frequently MDs do some really stupid things that endanger MY license. And, silly that it may seem to you, my license/reputation/good name is as important to me or more so than yours. If you, the MD do not like the care that I give, you may speak (not yell or belittle) to me. If you are not satisfied with my response, you may speak to my nurse manager, who can either censure me if I am out of line or refer you to legal/the medical director...if you (as often is the case) are out of line. And if you are not satisfied with that, you are more than free to admit your patients to a unit or a facility that meets your standards.

You have plenty of options for caring for the patient. And you have more than enough options for obtaining what you consider adequate care for your patient.

Be also aware that few of us are "unionized" and that unions rarily involved in whether we consider your order inappropriate. Unless you are asking to do something outside our scope/legal practice. But unions often involve themselves in unfair firing/disciplinary actions. Unions also cannot keep an incompetent nurse from being fired (though they do make it more difficult). It also makes harder to fire the "bad attitudes" which annoy all who work with them - nurses, MDs, PTs, Housekeeping, etc.

I do not work union shops and prefer not to.

But you do not have the inherit right to supervise other departments, in which you do not have the appropriate (note I said appropriate, not better or more) education and background. Just as it would be inappropriate for a nurse to supervise/discipline MDs on their MEDICAL practice, it is inappropriate for an MD (especially with no nursing education/experience/knowledge of scope) to supervise nurses.

(This despite the well published attending that told me that I should have "forced" a resident to order antibiotics at night. Maybe y'all should do your jobs and let me do mine before trying to dabble in supervising me)

This has recently be upheld in state courts. One of the midwest state courts recently ruled that MDs cannot serve as expert witnesses in court regarding nursing scope of care, partially because they receive no nursing education.

I am not radical, guys. And this is not a radical idea. I feel that midlevels SHOULD have supervison and that there should be substantial oversight of midlevels. I'm cool with y'all wanting to keep prescriptive privileges.

But do recognize that there are checks and balances in the health care system. MDs are not G-d, and frequently screw up. Hopefully, nursing/pharmacy/OT/PT prevent that. And part of that means those individuals are frequently not under your control, for a very good reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS. There are facilities where departments cross over, or where MBAs rule the roost. They are generally unmittigated disasters, resulting in poor morale, staff hemorrhage, higher mortality rates, etc.

You are an MD, fine...but frequently MDs do some really stupid things that endanger MY license. And, silly that it may seem to you, my license/reputation/good name is as important to me or more so than yours. If you, the MD do not like the care that I give, you may speak (not yell or belittle) to me. If you are not satisfied with my response, you may speak to my nurse manager, who can either censure me if I am out of line or refer you to legal/the medical director...if you (as often is the case) are out of line. And if you are not satisfied with that, you are more than free to admit your patients to a unit or a facility that meets your standards.

I had two-and-a-half years of a BSN before settling on a different career path that ended with my MD. And I agree with you that MDs have really no concept of nursing practice, yet alone nursing theory. Of course, IMNSHO, this problem has been greatly exacerbated by the NP - as the NP purports to be able to do most everything a physician does while still practicing nursing. It is hard to explain Orem within that concept. But I digress. The problem is that the legal system still finds the physician liable for the action (or inaction) of nurses under two legal principles. The first is the "CAPTAIN-OF-THE-SHIP DOCTRINE" - by which the person in charge, the one who makes the final decision, may be held responsible for the acts of those under his or her supervision. This has been used to hold physicians liable for nursing care in well established case law. Physicians have traditionally tried to counter this by pointing out that the nurses were not in their (the physician's) employ, but rather were employees of the hospital. In this way, they attempt to shift blame to the hospital under the principle of "RESPONDEAT SUPERIOR" or "Let the master answer." This legal doctrine that imposes liability upon the employer for the results of negligent acts of employees acting within the scope of their employment. Unfortunately, as the physician is generally seen (legally) to be conducting an independant business inside of the hospital, plantiffs lawyers then apply the second principle the "BORROWED-SERVANT RULE", which is the principle that the negligent behavior of an employee who is temporarily under the control of another, becomes the responsibility of the persona who was temporarily in control. For example, a physician in an operating room could be held accountable for the negligence of a circulating nurse, even though the nurse might be employed by the hospital. Now, the ANA and other nursing organizations publically rale against these principles as demeaning to the profession. But the fact is that they ARE absolute principles of law, well supported by previous legal findings and part of almost every malpractice case. To reverse them would take passage of lots of legislation on many levels - something that the ANA would never really push for as it would just make nurses targets for plantiffs' attorneys. So, please excuse the frustration created by a system which affords the physician all of the responsibility and none of the authority. It is an uncomfortable position.

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to agree it's downright silly the way some providers(yes nurses, doctors, PT's and others) have all the alphabet soup behind their names. I once new an NP whose title list behind here name was longer THAN her name. She also got off on being called Dr in front of patients(she was a PhD), which I think is totally wrong!:cool: As a nurse, I never use anything beyond RN on my nametag. I have a BSN and will someday have an MSN but somehow I don't think it really matters to anybody, because all most patients care about is if your an RN or not... they really don't understand all the degrees and certifications. When I do finally become an NP, the RN will change to that. Unless it pertains to the job you are doing, like say an educator being the PhD, why feel you have to show off? I know I'll get rotten eggs thrown at me by some nurses for this but that's just my opinion.

Then you should feel free to direct you patients to facility/unit that exhibits nursing that you the MD approve of, and avoid those that you feel are not up to your standards.

This is done frequently. An MD does not like X hospital or X unit, and therefore works with Y hospital or W, Y , Z unit.

However, I will tell you that MDs that do this usually do it because of being censured at one facility/unit. In the two or three cases come to my mind, and all of them involve MDs that at the later preferred facility got busted for incompetency leading to serious damage/or death.

Often, facilities/units are more than happy to make "problem" MDs miserable and send them elsewhere. It means less liability for us - there is some business, no one needs. The same goes for nurses. Despite the nursing shortage, there are some that cannot keep a job. There are some people that you do not need to employee despite a shortage as they are too much of a liability.

Professionals deal with others on a professional basis and are generally are successful - the rest get weeded out in a system with adequate checks and balances. Frequently, when there are insurmountable issues, it has to do with one or the other not listening/understanding the limitations, legal/ethical/workability of the other. The MD that refuses to send a patient to the unit but wants an insulin gtt., Q15m vitals, Q30 accuchecks, and a cardiac gtt on a patient where there is one RN for 10 patients, or who wants to run first dose Retuxan or Tri/Flu on a COPD patient at 0200 in the morning on a M/S floor is way out of line and attempting something that is not safe. The MD says the nurse is insurbordinant (an impossibility as we are not hired by the MD and not subordinant). But the nurses duty is also to the patients, and knows that it is not appropriate - this not laziness, but acknowledging the fact that it is not safe and the patient with the insulin gtt needs to be in a higher level unit, and the chemo should be given at a safer time or in a better staffed unit.

All need checks and balances, as no one is G-d.

But if you repeatedly have trouble with dealing with fellow health care professionals, you may wish to consult with someone in that field as to where the difficulty lies. That is what reasonable mature professionals do to solve their issues.

I am a traveler, have been here 5 monthes, and I guarantee you every single attending on my unit KNOWS my name. Especially since I am a constant, unlike interns/MS/residents that rotate in and out every two to three weeks. I have worked on units for less than 6 weeks and still have every Onco know my name and be impressed with my skill level, and say so.
Uh, how do you figure YOU are the "constant" ?

Then you should feel free to direct you patients to facility/unit that exhibits nursing that you the MD approve of, and avoid those that you feel are not up to your standards.

All need checks and balances, as no one is G-d.

But if you repeatedly have trouble with dealing with fellow health care professionals, you may wish to consult with someone in that field as to where the difficulty lies. That is what reasonable mature professionals do to solve their issues.

Wow. At what time did I state that I "repeatedly have trouble with dealing with fellow health care professionals". Look, I am providing a bit of context to the MD side of this discussion. As a "healthcare professional" yourself arguing for checks and balances, you should realize that there two sides to the discussion of MD(DO) / RN relationships. That is what mature professionals accept.

- H

...This has recently be upheld in state courts. One of the midwest state courts recently ruled that MDs cannot serve as expert witnesses in court regarding nursing scope of care, partially because they receive no nursing education.

Most if not all states will be going to this in time...Arizona has...It's just a better way of seeking the truth and proving standard of care, or lack thereof...

Imagine an RN was the defendant, and the plantiff's "expert" was an MD, speaking about nursing care (that recently was commonplace in AZ)...Scary...Makes me wonder if nurses sometimes got shafted...Plus a nurse expert is half the cost of a doc, when it comes to testifying...Keeps court costs down...

Having been an expert witness, my experience has been that physicians (and their insurance carriers) are much more likely to settle, than testify anyway...

FYI, I am not an MD. Wow you really made ALOT of assumptions, and that shows what your agenda really is. If nurses don't have to follow orders written or verbal, then we should change the name to suggestions, and let the nursing staff decide.

Wow. At what time did I state that I "repeatedly have trouble with dealing with fellow health care professionals". Look, I am providing a bit of context to the MD side of this discussion. As a "healthcare professional" yourself arguing for checks and balances, you should realize that there two sides to the discussion of MD(DO) / RN relationships. That is what mature professionals accept.

Actually, I should have phrased it "If one repeatedly has difficulty..." and is directed towards those that have repeated difficulty. My regrets for making it look like you specifically have the problem.

I write that because repeatedly there are some individuals on this BB that have long issues with dealing with other health care professionals. And I was referring in general regarding those with the issue - I suppose that I should have been more specific.

But I repeat, to maintain checks and balances, both groups need to be represented in their own hierarchy.

As far as being constant, as a traveler, I will have been at this assignment 9 monthes. There are staffers that do not survive 6 on the floor. The nursing staff has had around a 35% turnover in staff during that time. And in comparison, to interns that may be on the unit for three weeks, we are more "constant". And when you have the majority of your patients in for 4-8 weeks straight and the rest, will be in every 3-4 weeks, the nursing staff is the "constant.

The other thing, is if you are good enough and have the skills, the Attendings will easily know your name .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------By the way, if you are utterly wretched, they also know your name, and as a traveler, you will not be re-signed. Something that has never happened to me.

The other thing, is if you are good enough and have the skills, the Attendings will easily know your name .

And none of them will care about the titleology on your badge....

FYI, I am not an MD. Wow you really made ALOT of assumptions, and that shows what your agenda really is. If nurses don't have to follow orders written or verbal, then we should change the name to suggestions, and let the nursing staff decide.

This post shows that you really have no clue as to what's being discussed nor any idea of what a nurse's job is. We (nurses) are not talking about blowing off orders because we don't feel like doing something. We are professionally and ethically obligated to question orders that may be harmful. Do you honestly think that in a malpractice case a nurse would get away with saying "Well, the doctor ordered it..."?

Wrong. Contrary to what you may believe, part of our responsibility is to recognize those "iffy" orders and take them up the chain of command. There is absolutely no way I am going to do something that could harm a pt. just because a doctor ordered it. I couldn't care less if that order came on stone tablets and carried by a man with white hair and a beard...I am not doing it, period. My job is to take care of pts., not practitioners' egos.

It's called checks and balances.

When I write an order if a nurse questions it he/she calls me or pages me to clear it up, they do not refuse to give it and call in the nursing staff cavalry. Nurses are employees of the hospital, doctors are not; it is a totally different roll. I cannot tell you how many times I have been paged or called on off hours to question an order by a nurse who is ignorant, new or just thinks they can get one up on a provider, and they are totally wrong. They say ...Oh sorry Dr. soandso, but meanwhile I have been disturbed at home trying to read my kid a bedtime story.....

I had this happen a few nights ago, thus my rant with a new RN to the psych ward who called my house (after she got the number from medical staff records citing an emergency) questioning my order to "apply posey mitts prn bilat for excessive SIB", and she wanted to know what a posey mitt was!!!! Have this happen to you and then get back to me..................:thumbdown:

When I write an order if a nurse questions it he/she calls me or pages me to clear it up, they do not refuse to give it and call in the nursing staff cavalry. Nurses are employees of the hospital, doctors are not; it is a totally different roll. I cannot tell you how many times I have been paged or called on off hours to question an order by a nurse who is ignorant, new or just thinks they can get one up on a provider, and they are totally wrong. They say ...Oh sorry Dr. soandso, but meanwhile I have been disturbed at home trying to read my kid a bedtime story.....

I had this happen a few nights ago, thus my rant with a new RN to the psych ward who called my house (after she got the number from medical staff records citing an emergency) questioning my order to "apply posey mitts prn bilat for excessive SIB", and she wanted to know what a posey mitt was!!!! Have this happen to you and then get back to me..................:thumbdown:

Gee, no kidding. That is how it's supposed to work. Nowhere do I see anyone saying that you don't try to first clear it up with the person who wrote the order. But when you are dealing with an arrogant doc who gives you grief over an order that is unsafe, you do have to call in the "nursing cavalry."

If you are chronically having problems with nursing staff, then you should address that with nursing admin. But you might also want to take a look at yourself. Are your orders unclear? Are you writing orders that violate hospital policy (e.g. writing "range orders" for meds...some hospitals won't allow this)? Is your treatment of the nursing staff in any way engendering ill feelings that could cause some of the nurses to resort to tactics to get back at you? (Not that I approve of this...it is unprofessional). There could be many reasons why, and if the problem is as rampant as you describe, I suspect there's something going on on your end that is contributing to the situation. It's usually never one sided.

I must have misunderstood your previous posts. I didn't think you were a physician. I thought you were a psychologist.

And as far as getting paged at home...sorry, no sympathy from me. You signed on for this gig, and getting called is part of the drill. And having worked in home care and hospice, I can probably match or trump every one of your dumb calls by even dumber ones from patients, families, and yes, nurses. Deal with it, or get a job where calls aren't a factor. If she called you at home and you were not on call, address that with her supervisor.

As far as the new RN, yes, it was dumb for her to call you to question an order for something when she didn't even know what it was. A good practitioner might have taken her newness into account and briefly explained what it was, why the treatment was needed. Later, it would have been appropriate to address her call to her nurse manager. Sometimes, a little bit of patience and understanding can get you staff members who will go out of their way to avoid having you paged. From what I've read, you don't sound like that sort of person. It may be something to consider the next time it happens. We all start off green, and I know I appreciated the docs who were patient with me as I was learning.

I've also found that non-physicians who have limited order writing privileges can be the worst offenders for writing unclear/inappropriate orders, then being ignorant when a clarification is needed. (I'm referring to psychologists, speech therapy, OT, etc.)

Peace... I just like to stir up stuff on Fridays. I am not sure how "apply posy mitts prn" is confusing, but I was nice as usual. However, nice gets old when one's wife is not when such things happen at home. Yes I am a psychologist, but I have been working in medical settings for years and written many orders for a very limited range of conditions/problems. The problem is the nurse who was on duty when I wrote the order understands perfectly, but the newbies come in for Noc shift and want to challenge a doc to make their night interesting..it just gets old.
I love working with nurses, but I have a problem with the ones who know they will never have to deal with me in person because of their crappy shift.

:cool:

Peace... I just like to stir up stuff on Fridays. I am not sure how "apply posy mitts prn" is confusing, but I was nice as usual. However, nice gets old when one's wife is not when such things happen at home. Yes I am a psychologist, but I have been working in medical settings for years and written many orders for a very limited range of conditions/problems. The problem is the nurse who was on duty when I wrote the order understands perfectly, but the newbies come in for Noc shift and want to challenge a doc to make their night interesting..it just gets old.
I love working with nurses, but I have a problem with the ones who know they will never have to deal with me in person because of their crappy shift.

:cool:

Your home life is not their problem. And I can see a problem with the posey order right off the bat...prn restraint orders (and a posey mitt would be one) are not permissible in many facilities. Restraints have to have certain time frames, orders have to be renewed daily, alternatives to using the restraint have to be tried...you see where I'm going with this? That doesn't relieve her from needing to know what it was, though.

And as I said before, if you are having a problem with specific nurses challenging you, take it up with their supervisor. Most new nurses, though, are loath to call in the middle of the night for fear of being yelled at. Visit some nursing boards and read the innumerable threads on "Fear of Calling the Doctor" topics. Most nights, no one even has the time to play games about calling people.

Have you actually talked with these problem nurses? I'm just wondering how you can be so sure that their agenda is to annoy you. It sounds like it is you who is making assumptions. Your last post clearly shows some attitudes of your own that could be contributing to this problem.

Yes, it does get old having to be "nice." Do you think I feel like plaing nice day after day with new crops of med students and interns, some of whom treat me like crap because they view nurses as "beneath" them. No. But I do it beause it helps keep patient care going. That is the priority, not how irritated you or I may feel about a particular matter.

Medicate w/ dilaudid prn

How is that confusing?

Give SVN's PRN

Is that confusing?

You know what I mean...

Why should I specify what I mean???

Why give parameters, dosages, etc...

I run the show...

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown:

:D

I would love to throw some pts in a room and lock the door...

BUT WE CAN'T

get over yourself and your ambiguous orders...

Yes that is unclear and has nothing to do with I said. I will go back where I belong with the docs....

Nice example the 'mod" here is setting...

He likely has the highest education (PhD) in this thread (assumption), and is slamming anyone in his way...

Wow!

I'd ask you to explain the difference between "Apply posey mitts prn" and "Apply (name your restraint of choice) prn," but in all honesty, I don't really care. Since you previously said you "just like to stir things up on Friday," I wonder how much of this is really an issue and how much of it is just posturing.

Yeah, that's the problem with 'prn' orders. They assume a modicum of assessment skills and decision making ability on the side of the person picking them up.

Actually, the problem with range orders is in most places they're not legal. For example, if someone writes an order for "Dilaudid 1-2mg IV q 2h prn" that puts the nurse in the position of deciding how much pain medication to give.

Now, do I think I can assess whether or not a pt. needs 1 or 2 mg? Sure. But in my state, that would make me violate the nurse practice act, because that would be considered prescribing. And as much as I hate to admit it, there would be nurses out there who would think they should give 1.5mg, or 1.75mg or 1.3mg. So you need clearly defined orders.

In the case of restraints, the legal aspects are such that you really need clearly defined orders. Otherwise, you could have a situation where someone had a restraint applied for hours, even days at a time. So many things are considered restraints these days that it's mind boggling.

It's not that the person carrying out the orders doesn't have a modicum of assessment skills. There are bad nurses out there for which this may be true, but in most cases it has to do with restrictions that have been applied by the state and/or the hospital's own policies (policies that doctors help to develop, BTW ;) ).

the problem with range orders is in most places they're not legal. For example, if someone writes an order for "Dilaudid 1-2mg IV q 2h prn" that puts the nurse in the position of deciding how much pain medication to give...It's not that the person carrying out the orders doesn't have a modicum of assessment skills...in most cases it has to do with restrictions that have been applied by the state and/or the hospital's own policies.

Very true. As a resident, I couldn't help but see irony in the fact that I could give a patient a prescription in the outpatient setting that said, "Tylenol 325mg, 1-2 po q6h prn pain, but in the hospital (where there are trained professionals assessing the patient using pain intensity charts, etc.) that same order would have to be written more specifically in order to remove the need for any decision-making on the part of the caregiver (other than the decision whether a prn pain medication is needed in the first place, which usually comes from the patient themselves).

As an intern, I once wrote something like "Tylenol 325mg, 1 po q6h prn pain rated 1-3 on analog scale, 2 po q6h prn pain rated 4-6 on analog scale. Call H.O. for pain rated 7 or higher." Boy, did I get a lot of pages over that one..."Do you really want us to ask the patient to rate their pain on a scale from 1-10 every time we administer this med?" Sometimes, asking people to think is truly asking too much.

Very true. As a resident, I couldn't help but see irony in the fact that I could give a patient a prescription in the outpatient setting that said, "Tylenol 325mg, 1-2 po q6h prn pain, but in the hospital (where there are trained professionals assessing the patient using pain intensity charts, etc.) that same order would have to be written more specifically in order to remove the need for any decision-making on the part of the caregiver (other than the decision whether a prn pain medication is needed in the first place, which usually comes from the patient themselves).

As an intern, I once wrote something like "Tylenol 325mg, 1 po q6h prn pain rated 1-3 on analog scale, 2 po q6h prn pain rated 4-6 on analog scale. Call H.O. for pain rated 7 or higher." Boy, did I get a lot of pages over that one..."Do you really want us to ask the patient to rate their pain on a scale from 1-10 every time we administer this med?" Sometimes, asking people to think is truly asking too much.

For God's sake, that is Nursing 101! Of course they're supposed to be asking pts. to rate their pain before they medicate them! This is the kind bugs the heck out of me. How the heck lazy can you get? It takes all of 5-15 seconds to get a pt. give you a pain rating. :mad:

Thanks for trying, though.

Actually, the problem with range orders is in most places they're not legal. For example, if someone writes an order for "Dilaudid 1-2mg IV q 2h prn" that puts the nurse in the position of deciding how much pain medication to give.

Yep, that would be the point of a variable dose order.

But in my state, that would make me violate the nurse practice act, because that would be considered prescribing.

That is because the clipboard carriers who write the nurse practice act think you are imbeziles, not because I think so.

And as much as I hate to admit it, there would be nurses out there who would think they should give 1.5mg, or 1.75mg or 1.3mg. So you need clearly defined orders.

And what harm to the patient would 1.3mg dilaudid do ? (except that it might drive someone in pharmacy nuts).

In the case of restraints, the legal aspects are such that you really need clearly defined orders. Otherwise, you could have a situation where someone had a restraint applied for hours, even days at a time.

Limiting times is what you typically have a restraint policy for.

As an intern, I once wrote something like "Tylenol 325mg, 1 po q6h prn pain rated 1-3 on analog scale, 2 po q6h prn pain rated 4-6 on analog scale. Call H.O. for pain rated 7 or higher." Boy, did I get a lot of pages over that one...

Well, that is exactly how some places want you to write pain orders these days.

And to make matters worse, just avoid the wrath of the JCAHO clipboard carriers, they want a pain med order on EVERY patient, whether they have a condition that could potentially result in pain or not. (Not having a prn pain med order on the chart in the eyes of the JCAHO readying consultant drones is the equivalent of 'not treating pain' a focus of their recent raids.)

In my medical career, so far I have worked at hospitals with 25-1600 beds. Funny enough, nursing staff at places without in-house physician availability is able to apply orders that leave them the most decision room without any problems. It is the big academic hospitals with interns available 24/7 where people don't seem to be able to think on their feet.

meg: The hospital policy wouldn't be good enough in the case of restraints. Besides, the hospital policy would also say that that type of order is unacceptable, so we're back to square one with needing to have specifics on the order.

Technically, no harm could come to giving 1.5mg/1.3mg etc., but it would be a collossal migraine reconciling narc. wastes for starters. Trust me when I say that it would turn into a nightmare for a lot of people. Besides, I doubt that a fraction of a mg. one way or the other is going to make that much of a difference in pain relief when it comes to adult patients.

My hospital just does not permit range orders, although now that I think about it, I wonder why we're allowed to titrate ntg. drips on chest pain pts. Seems to me like titrating ntg. is a little more serious than deciding whether to give one or two Tylenol.

My hospital just does not permit range orders, although now that I think about it, I wonder why we're allowed to titrate ntg. drips on chest pain pts. Seems to me like titrating ntg. is a little more serious than deciding whether to give one or two Tylenol.

I imagine the cardiologists have a strong lobby at your facility, as they do at most. ;)

just avoid the wrath of the JCAHO clipboard carriers, they want a pain med order on EVERY patient, whether they have a condition that could potentially result in pain or not. (Not having a prn pain med order on the chart in the eyes of the JCAHO readying consultant drones is the equivalent of 'not treating pain' a focus of their recent raids.)

I always had a problem with prn meds on admission orders for conditions that the patient didn't have (yet). It's pure laziness on everyone's part...the nurses don't want to have to page a doctor for Tylenol or something, and the doctors don't want to be "bothered" with those kind of calls.

Think about it in terms of patient care, though. Why should I write a pain med for a patient who isn't having (and isn't expected to have) pain? If they suddenly develop pain, I want to know about it, not just have a nurse blindly medicate them. Same goes for diarrhea, constipation, nausea, and all of the other crap that they seem to want standing orders written for. If the patient doesn't have it, why order meds for it? The ordered med may not even be medically appropriate. If a patient on antibiotics suddenly develops diarrhea, is the answer really to simply give them the Imodium that was ordered on admission for the diarrhea that they didn't have at the time? Um, no...it's not. I don't care if this means that I'll get paged more often...I'll also know when something's changing with my patients.

A DPM learning the ACLS is not because of MD envy. Podiatric Physicians learn these things thoughout our training in Podiatric Medical School and have to apply them in clinical situations. For example, since our patients have the options of general anesthesia to peripheral nerve blocks, we will have to know how to react in adverse situations. Thoughout our medical training we learn a great amount about cardiovascular functions and abnomalities. Also, when we do three year surgical residencies, we have many different rotations, such as internal med, neurology, orthopaedics, ect. If a patient is coding in our presence, I am sure we will have to understand what to do.

Also, I am sure the ACLS applys to DDS as well.

I'm sorry but I think that all health care workers should know ACLS. Does it matter where the patient crashes where it be in a pod's office, a dentist office, a PAs office or a ENTs office?

Also, psisci, you mentioned that DPMs should have their ACLS. They do. DPMs in various states are allowed to do conscious sedation and therefore need to be prepared for the worst.

Think about it in terms of patient care, though. Why should I write a pain med for a patient who isn't having (and isn't expected to have) pain? If they suddenly develop pain, I want to know about it, not just have a nurse blindly medicate them. Same goes for diarrhea, constipation, nausea, and all of the other crap that they seem to want standing orders written for.

Even better. I worked at a hospital, where we suddenly had a rash of hypoglycemic post-op patients. As it turned out, anyone who had a dex-stick of >100 post-op was considered a diabetic and was started on a insulin drip without the surgeon or anesthesiologist writing an actual order for it. This was a larger place and in the madness of getting into 'Americas best 100 hospitals' someone in midlevel hospital buerocracy thought it was a great idea to reduce post-op infections. And yes, there are papers that show a benefit to tightly control diabetes in DIABETICS. But somehow, this nonsense made it through the various committees and was turned into a hospital wide standing order for all patients. They just had omitted the step of informing the people legally responsible for the patients about it.

Even better. I worked at a hospital, where we suddenly had a rash of hypoglycemic post-op patients. As it turned out, anyone who had a dex-stick of >100 post-op was considered a diabetic and was started on a insulin drip without the surgeon or anesthesiologist writing an actual order for it. This was a larger place and in the madness of getting into 'Americas best 100 hospitals' someone in midlevel hospital buerocracy thought it was a great idea to reduce post-op infections. And yes, there are papers that show a benefit to tightly control diabetes in DIABETICS. But somehow, this nonsense made it through the various committees and was turned into a hospital wide standing order for all patients. They just had omitted the step of informing the people legally responsible for the patients about it.

Talk about your boneheaded ideas. I can't believe this didn't have to go through a medical advisory committee. I just work at a humble 120 bed hospital, and that would never fly. Goes to show you that bigger isn't always better when it comes to medical care.

I'm sorry but I think that all health care workers should know ACLS. Does it matter where the patient crashes where it be in a pod's office, a dentist office, a PAs office or a ENTs office?

What good does ACLS do you when you don't have a code cart, can't intubate, can't establish IV access, etc.?

If you're doing conscious sedation, sure...this stuff is mandatory. For the average outpatient medical practice, however, you'll get BLS CPR and somebody calling 911. If you're lucky, they'll have an AED (and maybe a set of nasal airways, a BVM, and suction). That's reality. I know lots of docs who have none of the above. Patients would probably do better if they coded at the mall...at least they have AEDs there.

All very true, but as medicine moves toward multi-specialty groups, I would hope this would not be true. I didn't think about not having the equipment.

That being said, DPMs should have their ACLS b/c most pods work in hospitals and surgical centers where they have crash carts. DDS should have their ACLS if they work in hospitals (i.e. maxillofacial surgeons). That is my opinion.

Your home life is not their problem. And I can see a problem with the posey order right off the bat...prn restraint orders (and a posey mitt would be one) are not permissible in many facilities. Restraints have to have certain time frames, orders have to be renewed daily, alternatives to using the restraint have to be tried...you see where I'm going with this? That doesn't relieve her from needing to know what it was, though.

Given that restraints are on the verge of being banned/rendered illegal in many facilities/states, PRN orders are not appropriate in any case.

As a nurse, can I assess the need for restraints? Of course, given that I am probably the one that is being injured by the out of control patient or having to restart the IV for the fourth time in 3 hours. But it does not change the policies/laws/rules in place in virtually every legitimate facility, that PRN restraint orders are not allowed. Do I want to WASTE MY TIME calling you? No, but it is required. Along with several signatures, renewal every 6-24 hours and a ton of useless paperwork.

Can nurses assess pain and medicate on a scale? Of course they can, but are not "permitted" in some places due to policy. And PS, nurses do not make those policies in most cases, just as we are not the JCAHO clipboard nazis.

In the state of GA, they were cracking down on medicaid/medicare fraud. Some doofus came up with a reg that said that labs had to be ordered by "specific" names, and that charted orders had to reflect those names or there would be no reimbursement. Of course, the MDs felt that they were immune to said requirements. And continued to write for SMA7s, SMA10s, Astra panels, etc., and we were required to "clarify" them before ordering/drawing them. It really was not pleasant.

It is easy to write a clear, legible, legal, legitimate order.....so why not just do so.

As far as nurses not getting in trouble for following MD orders, there are two nurses in New Orleans that may be convicted of murder for doing just that.