NSUCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think most of the schools are fine in the area. How old are your kids? I can ask my brother where his kid will start elementary school. If there is anyone that is anal about every aspect of his kid's life, it is my brother.

My kids are 6 and 4. I am considering public schools in the Weston area; however Silver Ridge Elementary near NSU is another option I am considering, simply because of its proximity to Nova. Thank you very much for helping me with this. I really appreciate it!

Thanks to GlobeMedder as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy Everyone. Congratulations again on your acceptance, and welcome to all those recently accepted. Just a few quick answers for ya'll:

Scrubs: Gotta be the ciel blue b/c it is the required color for dresscode. That being said, you are going to want at least one set of "Anatomy" scrubs for the Gross lab as well as a set of comfortable shoes. They get pretty nasty and the smell doesn't come out. Most of us just used one set and left them in the locker the entire semester. The shoes and scrubs you will both throw away at the end of the semester, so keep them cheap (I used old running shoes, and scrubs from another hospital). Your Anatomy lab scrubs can be what ever color you like.

Grad Housing: It is not what they are portraying it to you as, think overglorified dorms, with more rules than you would have if you moved back in with your parents. I cannot think of a single person in our class living there now that has positive things to say about the grad housing. And the "theme floors" are a joke at best. There are a number of apartment complexes (Sundance and Sunforest to name a couple) that are nicer and closer to campus. Quite literally across the street.

Computers: I am still working with the administration to alter the proposed computer requirements for your class. What I can tell you is that the "School Option" computer from Dell is just about finalized and you will NOT be required to purchase that option. I am hoping to get the minimum specs reduced to a more managable level. That way if you do have to purchase a new computer, you will be able to get one for Under $1000 that will meet the school's needs. We are working to solidify these parameters over the next 2-3 weeks.

As for now that is about it. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in contact with me. Get excited everyone, we are working on some new things that should really help you make the transition during your first semester easier. And hopefully a little more fun!!

Bryan Peterson
M1 Class President
OMS-1
[email protected]
Bryan, question on the laptop requirement:Nova COM website http://medicine.nova.edu/comsas/laptop/option1.html says "Students electing Option One will be eligible to participate in computerized examinations. " What kinds of exams are they talking about here? And what about the students that don't want to purchase laptops from NSU-Dell?

So fun story... I just paid my second deposit a couple days ago and I was really excited! Yay med school yay NSU! Right? Then my credit card gets declined two days in a row. So I go online to figure out why.

My credit card limit = 1000
NSU Deposit = 1050

So they slammed me with overdraw fees, insufficient funds fees, and cancelled my card!!! Sigh... Oh well, yay med school and yay NSU!

Members don't see this ad :)
So fun story... I just paid my second deposit a couple days ago and I was really excited! Yay med school yay NSU! Right? Then my credit card gets declined two days in a row. So I go online to figure out why.

NSU Deposit = 1050

So they slammed me with overdraw fees, insufficient funds fees, and cancelled my card!!! Sigh... Oh well, yay med school and yay NSU!

Aw, that sucks! They canceled it? I'm sure you can call your bank and sweet talk them into issuing a new card asap.

(and seriously, you only have a limit of $1,000? yikes!)

NSU Deposit = 1050

awww man! over fifty dollars!!!! that sucks man! lol. see ya in august!

I paid both deposits, but before I paid the second I got a phone call asking if I was committed to Nova and that there was some issue with my original deposit or something. It just confused me that the date for second deposit was the 15th and they were already acting like I haven't paid!

*Just received an email about second deposit. I'm in the clear.

Last edited:
I paid both deposits, but before I paid the second I got a phone call asking if I was committed to Nova and that there was some issue with my original deposit or something. It just confused me that the date for second deposit was the 15th and they were already acting like I haven't paid!

*Just received an email about second deposit. I'm in the clear.

they also called me, all accusitory and what not. like a week before the 2nd deposit was due. whatever, it worked. i paid it today. one step closer!!!!

Living with a jewish grandmother has taught me how to resist guilt, but I was planning on paying it that day anyway..impatient people. Funny how I can never get a hold of them unless they want to know if they are receiving money

i started a thread about nsu vs. azcom, do you guys want to go over there an comment

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=610219
user_online.gif
progress.gif

i started a thread about nsu vs. azcom, do you guys want to go over there an comment

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=610219
user_online.gif
progress.gif
It's better to ask specific questions about each of the 3rd and 4th years if you're interested. You should go talk to one of the students from the 2nd/3rd/4th year class from both schools.

Through your method, you may not get comparable answers, just a bunch of subjective data.

hey, anybody know where I could find a list of required/suggested books for NSU?

(and yeah, I don't need the spiel on how I don't necessarily need to buy every text...I know, I know)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, anybody know where I could find a list of required/suggested books for NSU?

(and yeah, I don't need the spiel on how I don't necessarily need to buy every text...I know, I know)

soon youll get the spiel about how to not start reading them yet... and to enjoy the last few months before school.

regardless, i wouldnt mind knowing which books as well. maybe my shcool library has them. anyone know?

Check the previous forums.

Check the previous forums.

I've tried without a ton of success. The 2012 thread is useless, and while the 2011 thread has more info, I was wondering if that info is still current.

I've got some M1 friends who are looking to offload some textbooks and I could get a good deal on them, but I don't want to buy any that aren't recommended by nova.

I've tried without a ton of success. The 2012 thread is useless, and while the 2011 thread has more info, I was wondering if that info is still current.

I've got some M1 friends who are looking to offload some textbooks and I could get a good deal on them, but I don't want to buy any that aren't recommended by nova.
These are the only ones that I would recommend because they are useful for courses and outside of courses:

Here are the books I feel each med student should own for the first semester:

• Atlas of Human Anatomy by Frank Netter
• Essential Clinical Anatomy by Moore
• Grants Dissector for Gross Anatomy: Now, some people did not feel that it was necessary to buy this book and actually waited until they were assigned lab groups. One book is usually donated to the group, by a group member and kept in the lab. Reading the dissection prior to coming to lab really helped give me a sense of direction and I always felt prepared for the dissection. I would recommend having your own.
• Physiology (Costanza) this is not the recommended text on your list, however, I found that the recommended Physiology book, by Berne and Levy was not as user friendly. Most students love Constanzo. This book was a saving grace for me!!!! Warning: like with any other book, always go from the notes given from the professor first, if you find variations of a particular concept or occasional contradictions in any textbook, it is up to you to use additional resources to figure it out or ask the professor what concept they want you to know.

Professors often change their book list from year to year and professors change. That is why I am hesitant in providing the recommended books. Besides the above texts, I did not use any other text for more than a reference. I would recommend spending your money on board review books and write in notes into the book during the school year. It'll help you your second year as you're preparing for boards.

As I stated previously, your lecture notes are all provided to you. They are complete for your tests. If you want to invest in books, look at the list above and the board review books. Otherwise, use your discretion as to what you get since they are not consistent every year. That's my disclaimer. If you'd like to PM me though, feel free and I'll find you a resource that can give you the book titles and authors.

Thanks, HemaOncoDoc!

The Moore you mentioned is the "baby" one, right? Is that a better choice than the big Moore? I guess I'll go find them at a library and figure out which is a better choice, given the only difference I can tell online is that the "big" is 500 pages longer!

Thanks, HemaOncoDoc!

The Moore you mentioned is the "baby" one, right? Is that a better choice than the big Moore? I guess I'll go find them at a library and figure out which is a better choice, given the only difference I can tell online is that the "big" is 500 pages longer!
It's the BIG one. It is not the required text. I'm just providing the books that I found useful. Netter is awesome, but Moore presents the information in a different way to many found useful. It's all up to you. Look at it, compare it to Netter and see what you prefer.

You are not going to learn enough information now (during the summer) to help you substantially for classes. You will have limited time to do many of the things that are part of your current routine. One of my regrets is that I didn't get to travel before med school. You don't have the time during school and you feel "bad" that you're spending loan money. :p

It's the BIG one. It is not the required text. I'm just providing the books that I found useful. Netter is awesome, but Moore presents the information in a different way to many found useful. It's all up to you. Look at it, compare it to Netter and see what you prefer.

You are not going to learn enough information now (during the summer) to help you substantially for classes. You will have limited time to do many of the things that are part of your current routine. One of my regrets is that I didn't get to travel before med school. You don't have the time during school and you feel "bad" that you're spending loan money. :p

Notice how I didn't say I was going to start studying...I'm finishing up a master's, I don't have time for extra studying right now. But given how expensive textbooks are, if I can get them (for cheap) from a friend who no longer wants them, I'm totally going to jump on that offer.

:thumbup: Smart move. I plan on giving mine away to my "mentos" - students that I'm mentoring this year.

Notice how I didn't say I was going to start studying...I'm finishing up a master's, I don't have time for extra studying right now. But given how expensive textbooks are, if I can get them (for cheap) from a friend who no longer wants them, I'm totally going to jump on that offer.

for the current students....

Anyone you know having any problems with the specifications for their labtops. I'm not talking about mac vs PC, but I'd rather buy a labtop for $600 than the NSU $1500 one. Does the 2.0 processor really differ from the required 2.4?
I assume this is a no, but I'd like to put my paranoia to rest.

for the current students....

Anyone you know having any problems with the specifications for their labtops. I'm not talking about mac vs PC, but I'd rather buy a labtop for $600 than the NSU $1500 one. Does the 2.0 processor really differ from the required 2.4?
I assume this is a no, but I'd like to put my paranoia to rest.
Its best to ask the OMS-Is this questions since some actually bought a computer from NSUCOM last year. The only reason I can see behind the 2.4 processor is to be able to run the testing program.

"Students electing Option One will be eligible to participate in computerized examinations. " What kinds of exams are they talking about here? And what about the students that don't want to purchase laptops from NSU-Dell?

:rofl:

No such animal.

*hugs her HP*

So in some information on sharklink about labtops Dr. Whitehead stated this

"Unfortunately, the software that we are planning on using for computerized examinations does not work properly with MACs even with “bootcamp” software. A component of the computerized examinations is shutting down other program applications, i.e. browsers, for security issues when taking the examination. If you recently purchased a MAC, I would recommend that you do not purchase a PC until computerized examinations are implemented (mid-semester) and then you purchase a les expensive laptop for examinations purposes only. "

Is this really true or can I still use a Mac because I do not want to use a PC bc I hate them but that is besides the point. Please let me know what you all think

Thanks

"Unfortunately, the software that we are planning on using for computerized examinations does not work properly with MACs even with “bootcamp” software. A component of the computerized examinations is shutting down other program applications, i.e. browsers, for security issues when taking the examination. If you recently purchased a MAC, I would recommend that you do not purchase a PC until computerized examinations are implemented (mid-semester) and then you purchase a les expensive laptop for examinations purposes only. "

Is this really true or can I still use a Mac because I do not want to use a PC bc I hate them but that is besides the point. Please let me know what you all think

Thanks
The program that they are thinking of using will shut down other programs for testing security purposes. What that means for Mac users, I do not know specifically. I'm not going to touch the issue about purchasing a computer for testing purposes.

Hey Ya'll,

Sorry, I just came across the posting Dr. Whitehead put on the website and your 2013 homepage. I'm cramming for a Neurophys test on Monday, but will try to get back on here and answer your questions regarding the laptop by the end of the weekend. Please don't freak out, or jump to any conclusions, its only March. I'm still working on a few topics of discussion with Dr. Whitehead regarding your laptops. I hope everyone is having a great week and a fun Spring Break!

Thanks

Anyone else already despise sharklink and webstar? I don't understand why they have to cram so much information onto every screen for one thing, but I got referred to webstar for some financial stuff and since they are not linked together got locked out AGAIN. It is idiotic. Just let me use the same friggin login and password for sharklink and webstar. It isn't asking too much!

Anyone else already despise sharklink and webstar? I don't understand why they have to cram so much information onto every screen for one thing, but I got referred to webstar for some financial stuff and since they are not linked together got locked out AGAIN. It is idiotic. Just let me use the same friggin login and password for sharklink and webstar. It isn't asking too much!
Sharklink contains almost everything if not everything that is on WebStar, including FinAid information.

For those of you who have decided on apartments for next year, which ones did you choose? I am going down in May and want to know which places people liked the best, so I can narrow down the number of apartment complexes to check out!
Thanks!

Sundance and Royal Grand are nice. I live in Fl and have been down there 4 times to look at different places. Those two are the closest and you can walk to campus. Sundance is literally right across the street. Royal Grand is a little bit further down University drive. :D Both are mostly students (royal grand has more families than sundance) as far as I know

Sundance and Royal Grand are nice. I live in Fl and have been down there 4 times to look at different places. Those two are the closest and you can walk to campus. Sundance is literally right across the street. Royal Grand is a little bit further down University drive. :D Both are mostly students (royal grand has more families than sundance) as far as I know

Are those condos or apartments? I am definitely looking only to rent, not buy.

They are apartments. There are alot for rent in sundance (signs in the windows when I was there) Royal grand may be a little bit tougher to actually find the places that are for rent but I know there are some. Royal Grand and Sundance apartments are owned by different ppl so you have to contact them indiviudally i believe. SUNFOREST is a nice rent only apartment complex next to Nova as well- Here is the Lindsey's email [email protected] (she is in charge of the renting process). They are nice and close (walking distance).

Congratulation all,

I'm finishing up here and heading to Arizona for residency. I have a 2/2 updated clean condo about 4 miles from Nova in a place called Pine Island Ridge. It's a golfing community with pools, tennis, basketball, and close to 595. For sale or rent. If interested email me at [email protected]. Also if anyone interested in anesthesiology I can answer questions. Thanks

They are apartments. There are alot for rent in sundance (signs in the windows when I was there) Royal grand may be a little bit tougher to actually find the places that are for rent but I know there are some. Royal Grand and Sundance apartments are owned by different ppl so you have to contact them indiviudally i believe. SUNFOREST is a nice rent only apartment complex next to Nova as well- Here is the Lindsey's email [email protected] (she is in charge of the renting process). They are nice and close (walking distance).

thanks!!

Just put down a deposit at cameron cove for next year....anyone else living there?

Just wondering if everyone has already filed their FAFSA? I saw on the Shark Link questions board that Dr Whitehead said we should all have it done already. I just finished mine because I was waiting on some tax information.

Anyone know if thatll hurt me at all? Whats the next step?

Just wondering if everyone has already filed their FAFSA? I saw on the Shark Link questions board that Dr Whitehead said we should all have it done already. I just finished mine because I was waiting on some tax information.

Anyone know if thatll hurt me at all? Whats the next step?

i think you should be fine. what they mean by finishing fafsa in jan is that you submitted an approximate fafsa. obviously you wouldn't know your exact income, etc until taxes were done. like i did mine in jan, but submitted the corrections a few weeks ago. i would call them in the next few days to make sure they have your fafsa.

i guess the next step would be to apply for grad plus?? but i'm actually confused on this myself. from what i understand this is a separate (private) loan application that cannot be completed until your fafsa is complete as well. but how do we apply for it? through our own banks, or does nova suggest them? sorry to sound ignorant, but i've never done the loan thing before.....any help?

i'm wondering the same thing. i know that there are several different banks you can apply to, each with their own form for gradplus. The good news is that Dr. Whitehead said we'll be getting our financial aid packages mid april which is awesome...much better than the june date we originally thought.

i'm going to wait until we get the packages before worrying about grad plus. unless i shouldnt... i dunno either :)

anyone else get their academical society today...i was placed in the silverman one. Anybody in this one as well?

anyone else get their academical society today...i was placed in the silverman one. Anybody in this one as well?

I was wondering what that email was about, i was added to Silvagni Academical Society Group.

im in "still"

whats this for? we cant pick our groups like in elementary school :(

I was wondering what that email was about, i was added to Silvagni Academical Society Group.

I am in silvagni too... what exactly do these groups mean?

Sharklink contains almost everything if not everything that is on WebStar, including FinAid information.

Yes, I realized this when I called in, waited 20 minutes for someone to answer and then he mentioned the tiny little link in the right hand corner to get to webstar after logging into sharklink. He then never unlocked my account and I haven't had time to call and wait another 20 minutes to have it unlocked so I can access it. Sharklink is crap. Lets see how much information they can stuff into 50 boxes per page.

Hey,

So the letter of acceptance says that we need to submit our transcripts 90 days from the date of registration. When is the date of registration?

Thanks

So I didn't get any information about the academic societies. Did you get an email? I saw something in the personal announcements section that it would be added to my groups page and it isn't. Anyone know?

It should be there somewhere. Oddly enough, I normally get an email for it but it didn't show up in my inbox. I checked sharklink and it was mentioned somewhere in there. I'm in Anderson or something.

Is anyone moving down early? I plan on heading down near the end of may or beginning of june.

Hey guys :) I hear y'all got your societies. For those of you who are in "Still" that's my society :cool: we're pretty awesome.

Some socieities are more active then others. I ... think? I'm president of Still next year...we're kind of changing how things got run, so I'm not actually sure...I should probably ask someone about that...maybe? huh.

Anyway, you'll get society peer mentors (3 of them I believe, we don't know who these people are yet, they've been chosen but we haven't been informed yet). And there are society activities, and even a competition that goes on between the different societies.

What you'll notice mostly about your societies is the schedule. 1/2 the societies are A and half are in B :)

There's really more too it...I just can't think straight at the moment.