NSUCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i was contemplating the same question for quite some time, however in the end I decided against buying a place no matter how good the deals are now. As past posters have stated, many of the clinical rotation sites (I believe it was somewhere around 2/3) are an hour or more away from the nova campus--who knows where you are going to be during you clinicals--and what about if you don't want to stay in S. florida for residency. Additionally people have told me many things regarding the market...I have got so many different opinions regarding the future of the market that it has only solidified to me that no one is sure what is going to happen. Since we are already going to be in a s**t ton of debt, why risk buying a property.

Just some things that people have told me when I thought about buying a place.

Members don't see this ad.

i was contemplating the same question for quite some time, however in the end I decided against buying a place no matter how good the deals are now. As past posters have stated, many of the clinical rotation sites (I believe it was somewhere around 2/3) are an hour or more away from the nova campus--who knows where you are going to be during you clinicals--and what about if you don't want to stay in S. florida for residency. Additionally people have told me many things regarding the market...I have got so many different opinions regarding the future of the market that it has only solidified to me that no one is sure what is going to happen. Since we are already going to be in a s**t ton of debt, why risk buying a property.

Just some things that people have told me when I thought about buying a place.

Valid point-I still haven't figured out how 3rd and 4th year clerkships work in terms of where students live. I feel that especially 4th year you may be on the road the whole time-do you keep an apartment then, or just live out of a suitcase? For third year, if the assigned hospital is an hour drive, do people move closer?

I wouldn't be the one buying the place, either, it would be my parents. I understand their sentiment that renting a place means dumping a lot of money and then never getting any investment out of it. Clearly, I need to think about this more.

I was considering buying a place but I decided against it. Right now is a great time to buy but I wanted to live close to the school and get familiar with the Miami area before I decided to buy.

my thoughts exactly

Members don't see this ad :)
where do you guys see when orientation starts in sharklink? i've logged in and got my email and stuff, authorized my financial aid stuff, but cant find when orientation starts.

thx.

You have to sign up to the DO class of 2013 group, could take a day.

how do people plan on finding roommates to live with next year? the roommate finder on the nova housing site?

@ melv55

I think alot of people are starting to plan rough times to head down and look for places. Personally I am up for roommates (really helps with costs....) and am starting to look at April/May.

On a second note....I know it was discussed somewhere but anyone have a concensus if they got my deposit but my papers might be a day late...anyone think they'll kill my spot?

IamAriDo

Last edited:
I'm going to be looking for a roommate too. I was planning to find someone on sdn, facebook, or the nova roommate search.

As far as housing goes, I am torn between on and off-campus housing. I was planning on heading down around april/may to check out housing, but just realized that it won't do much good unless I have my roommate situation figured out first.

With that said, graduate housing is starting to look like a practical option. Although, I'm not much for the 'dorm' lifestyle.... I am wondering what others think about nova's graduate housing. I know they have themed floors....does anyone know if they pair you up with roommates? The fact that there's a shuttle that takes you directly to hpd is also appealing. It is a lot more expensive, though...

I don't know...any thoughts???

I heard somewhere on SDN that "graduate housing" is just nova's way of cleanin up the term dormatory. Apparently all the same rules apply there as they would in an undergrad dorm, which takes that option off the list automatically for me. If you don't mind it though it could be a good option, they look nice.

As of now I'm heading to Nova. Only one other school that could change my mind but I won't hear from them until December. If i pay my deposit at nova before they get at me then Nova it is.

FIU has a medical school?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yes FIU has a medical school, it will be it's first year this fall, but I don't know where the question came from.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was just on this site restaurant.com and found some pretty awesome coupons for anyone who is interested in going out while they visit down near nova. If you plan on going out for dinner or lunch while your down there you should get the coupons off this site for sure just to save some money.

I'm going to be looking for a roommate too. I was planning to find someone on sdn, facebook, or the nova roommate search.

As far as housing goes, I am torn between on and off-campus housing. I was planning on heading down around april/may to check out housing, but just realized that it won't do much good unless I have my roommate situation figured out first.

With that said, graduate housing is starting to look like a practical option. Although, I'm not much for the 'dorm' lifestyle.... I am wondering what others think about nova's graduate housing. I know they have themed floors....does anyone know if they pair you up with roommates? The fact that there's a shuttle that takes you directly to hpd is also appealing. It is a lot more expensive, though...

I don't know...any thoughts???

I've been thinking the exact same things. I have a flight down there to look at places June 4th to 7th. But I'm strongly considering grad housing. Does anyone have specifics or can you do a cost/benefit analysis of it versus the standard one bedroom rental down there? Grad housing does look pretty expensive although convenient if it doesn't even include food.

I dunno, there are a lot of details I need to find out, I just havent really looked yet. Cya all soon. And hit me up if you're gonna be down there june 4-7.

So my only hang up on committing to NSUCOM was possibly MSUCOM.....but toured there today and.....eh. For seventh in the nation in Primary Care, I got to say I was WAY more impressed with NSU. So look forward to seeing you guys in the fall.

As for housing, I think Grad housing is what I'll do. It sounds like the most feasible for me...and will probably help me stay more focused!!

Also, will someone PLEASE send me the link to the website where we need to pay the deposits? For some reason, the packet they sent in the mail was from the previous year, and I didn't write down the website when I called and got it to pay my first deposit.

If anybody is looking for a roommate in Grad Housing, let me know...It'd be nice to have a fellow osteopath living with me.

anyone going to the online discussion with dr whitehead today at noon?

anyone going to the online discussion with dr whitehead today at noon?
man... I had every intention of going, but lost track of time at work... For those of you who attended, did you learn anything new? thanks!

BUMP:

I didnt get to go either. :( Anyone go to it? Any useful information discussed?

Does anyone know what time classes start and end? If anyone has a class schedule for first and second year, can you please post it or PM it to me? Thanks for your help.

hey I missed that chat session as well, but it looks like there is another one this wed at 5 pm

Anyone know how to set up nova email on iphone?

Anyone know how to set up nova email on iphone?

I dont have an iphone but i have a blackberry and i cant get it to sign up through nova's email either
If I cant figure it out I will probably just have all my NSU email forwarded to GMail...cause i can get all my gmail easily on my phone.

Does anyone know what time classes start and end? If anyone has a class schedule for first and second year, can you please post it or PM it to me? Thanks for your help.

Here is this past Fall's M1 and M2 schedules:
http://medicine.nova.edu/forms/m1fallsched0809.pdf

http://medicine.nova.edu/forms/m2fallsched0809.pdf

Its basically a 9-5 type day with a lunch break. A couple days a week they get out earlier because of lab/OMM/etc. In the Premed NSU thread some current students went into detail about their day to day schedule. So search there for more info.

- - - - - - - -

EDIT: Singinfifi had a good post on this question a couple months back:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7429970&postcount=1149

Last edited:
I dont have an iphone but i have a blackberry and i cant get it to sign up through nova's email either
If I cant figure it out I will probably just have all my NSU email forwarded to GMail...cause i can get all my gmail easily on my phone.

i had no trouble at all getting my nova email onto my blackberry! are you sure you're using the right login and password? it was super easy for me!

Could you PM the settings you used to set it up in you blackberry? Thanks so much.

I also can't figure it out on the iPhone, if anyone has a clue please let me know, thanks.

I applied late last year and got put on the list. Then they offered me a spot for C/O 2013!!!! Currently teaching marine biology and enjoying it but I can't wait till August!!

I applied late last year and got put on the list. Then they offered me a spot for C/O 2013!!!! Currently teaching marine biology and enjoying it but I can't wait till August!!

congratulations, thats awesome. just wondering though...i was under the impression that you had to re-apply each year, even if you got waitlisted. that an application does not carry over the next year. how did you get around this? im a little confused.

Thats what I thought as well, but the letter I recieved in June said that although I was still on the waiting list I had been chosen for a spot for C/O 2013 without reapplying. I guess they choose a couple applicants on the waitlist. It was a little confusing because they said the waitlist is not ranked but I am assuming they rank it for the purpose of offering spots for the next year. All I know is that I am very excited to be back in South Florida come August. :p

i know that we are able to wear scrubs to class but I was wondering if they have to be seal blue only or if they can be any color bc I can get some free from the hospital I work at but I dont think they have seal blue

Thanks

From what I understand we are only allowed to wear seal blue because each program has its own colors. That way they known who belongs to which program - That is what I was told from a current student -

The color is ceil blue, not "seal." :laugh:

And yes, that's the required scrubs color for DO students.

i know that we are able to wear scrubs to class but I was wondering if they have to be seal blue only or if they can be any color bc I can get some free from the hospital I work at but I dont think they have seal blue

Thanks

Howdy Everyone. Congratulations again on your acceptance, and welcome to all those recently accepted. Just a few quick answers for ya'll:

Scrubs: Gotta be the ciel blue b/c it is the required color for dresscode. That being said, you are going to want at least one set of "Anatomy" scrubs for the Gross lab as well as a set of comfortable shoes. They get pretty nasty and the smell doesn't come out. Most of us just used one set and left them in the locker the entire semester. The shoes and scrubs you will both throw away at the end of the semester, so keep them cheap (I used old running shoes, and scrubs from another hospital). Your Anatomy lab scrubs can be what ever color you like.

Grad Housing: It is not what they are portraying it to you as, think overglorified dorms, with more rules than you would have if you moved back in with your parents. I cannot think of a single person in our class living there now that has positive things to say about the grad housing. And the "theme floors" are a joke at best. There are a number of apartment complexes (Sundance and Sunforest to name a couple) that are nicer and closer to campus. Quite literally across the street.

Computers: I am still working with the administration to alter the proposed computer requirements for your class. What I can tell you is that the "School Option" computer from Dell is just about finalized and you will NOT be required to purchase that option. I am hoping to get the minimum specs reduced to a more managable level. That way if you do have to purchase a new computer, you will be able to get one for Under $1000 that will meet the school's needs. We are working to solidify these parameters over the next 2-3 weeks.

As for now that is about it. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in contact with me. Get excited everyone, we are working on some new things that should really help you make the transition during your first semester easier. And hopefully a little more fun!!

Bryan Peterson
M1 Class President
OMS-1
[email protected]

On the ball as always.

I know I mentioned it before, but I think I'm going to call you Lex. It is scary how similar you look to him in your avatar.

Bryan, you are kind of awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to fill us in!! :thumbup:

Off-topic question - people from the Class of 2012 have nice Nova email addresses like "[email protected]" but Sharklink just assigned me "km####@nova.edu"

Is there any way to change this? I talked to someone in the c/o 2012 and she said she could choose hers, so maybe ours is the first year of being assigned? What do you all know about it?

I don't know about the email addresses in past years....but you're not alone, mine is aw###@nova.edu.

However, it's weird that your address has 4 numbers, and mine only has 3 :confused:

Off-topic question - people from the Class of 2012 have nice Nova email addresses like "[email protected]" but Sharklink just assigned me "km####@nova.edu"

Is there any way to change this? I talked to someone in the c/o 2012 and she said she could choose hers, so maybe ours is the first year of being assigned? What do you all know about it?

Bingo! you are exactly right! I was about to ask the same question after noticing the difference from the older students. Everyone else is like [email protected] and we are like [email protected].

Question-so apparently Nova doesn't "require" parental information for the FAFSA, but it is necessary to put it down in order to be eligible for any sort of scholarship?

I wouldn't be qualified for any sort of need-based grant, and I realize that everybody pretty much gets the same subsidized & unsubsidized loans as independent students. But if I don't include parental info, am I automatically out of the running for anything other than federal & private loans?

hey guys, i was told im on the alternate. but i have heard many of those get in. im super excited. i loved nova, i hope i can get inn. if i get in im buying a house and looking for roomies, so here is hoping.

hey guys, i was told im on the alternate. but i have heard many of those get in. im super excited. i loved nova, i hope i can get inn. if i get in im buying a house and looking for roomies, so here is hoping.

Just keep updating them.

Do any of you know anything about the Weston area? I hear the public schools there are good and it is an ideal place for a family - I have kids!

How long is the commute to Nova from Weston? Any opinions about the Weston public schools? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

From the people I know they all said that Weston is a nice area. The schools are very good there and my future wife is a teacher and that is one of the places she is looking to teach at. As far as distance I would just do a google maps from the Terry Building to Weston FL and see what it says. Hope that helps

Do any of you know anything about the Weston area? I hear the public schools there are good and it is an ideal place for a family - I have kids!

How long is the commute to Nova from Weston? Any opinions about the Weston public schools? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think most of the schools are fine in the area. How old are your kids? I can ask my brother where his kid will start elementary school. If there is anyone that is anal about every aspect of his kid's life, it is my brother.