NSUCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axylotl

Misocapnist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its early but I just wanted to start this thread for students who are pretty sure they will be attending Nova in August. I just got the official acceptance yesterday and am looking forward to meeting other students that will be attending :D:D:D

**NSUCOM C/O 2013**

Members don't see this ad.

I know its early but I just wanted to start this thread for students who are pretty sure they will be attending Nova in August. I just got the official acceptance yesterday and am looking forward to meeting other students that will be attending :D:D:D

**NSUCOM C/O 2013**
I've been waiting for someone to create a thread like this.....wooo NOVA 2013

I'm still in the maybe category. 2 more interviews as of now at MD schools, but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definately going to Nova! I have 2 other acceptances I turned down and cancelled the rest of my interviews. PM me if you want to fbook me, or ill see you in the fall

Hurray!! Congratulations everyone! Can't wait to see you all!!

Nate.

does anyone else find themselves looking for housing and activities near nova for around 2+ hours a day (and neglecting the rest of their schoolwork).....love how amazing the apartments are, but still can't get over the prices.

Can't wait to be less than 10 miles from the beach!!!!!!!

we need a facebook group!!!!!!!
(you know it's not really official unless it's on facebook)
;)

As of now I'm heading to Nova. Only one other school that could change my mind but I won't hear from them until December. If i pay my deposit at nova before they get at me then Nova it is.

Congrats to all of you accepted! I know you will all love it here, I know I have so far! If you guys have questions that need answering, feel free to shoot me a line.

Hi guys! I'm a maybe here. I have an interview at Western/COMP next week and if I get in there it will be tough....
So far of all my acceptances NSU is #1! I can't help but think I'm biased b/c 1) I hate cold weather 2) my interview group was really cool (ask MossPoh or Chicagoguy or Momgracea...lol).
Housing costs don't bother me...c'mon I live in Socal! On that note...anyone looking for a roommate next year? I'll want one if/when I go to Nova.:)

I'm in the maybe category, but I've wanted to be able to post in one of these threads for sooooooo long! NSU's a great place, but I'm waiting to hear back from some other schools.

It's in the 30's outside right now though, so FL sounds pretty sweet. :woot:

(plus, NSU is like 20 min from a giant outlet mall. yes! with all that free time and extra money I'll go shopping!)

You will not be short on malls in south florida. There is one about every 5 miles it seems.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn i really would love living in ft. laudy but i feel so nervous making such a big move.... :eek:

Hey!
I am 90% sure I will be at nova next year and I am soo excited about it! I still have western, ccom, and an MD school, but I cancelled everything else and I can't see myself liking the other schools as much as NSU-COM!

Congrats to everyone else who has gotten in as well!:)

Hello everyone, I am wondering how long it took for you to receive an invite for your interview once your file was complete? I have verified wtih NSU-COM that my file is in fact complete and am sitting on pins and needles while reading various posts on SDN. Any insight on this matter would be sincerely appreciated and comforting to my psyche, Bob C.

Hello everyone, I am wondering how long it took for you to receive an invite for your interview once your file was complete? I have verified wtih NSU-COM that my file is in fact complete and am sitting on pins and needles while reading various posts on SDN. Any insight on this matter would be sincerely appreciated and comforting to my psyche, Bob C.

honestly, at this point I would just call admissions to see about your file. My close friend called admissions to find out about the status of her file and was told that she would be offered an interview. She was told that an email was sent about this interview about a week and a half prior, however she never had received it. I feel like the only way to find out something from this school is to actually get on the phone and talk to someone...while I can't wait to attend their program I am thus far really disgusted with their admissions office in comparison to other schools.

made a facebook group ...should be searchable......
NSU College of Osteopathic Medicine c/o 2013

♫
Hi everyone,

I know there have been tons of problems with the NSU Admissions dept...they need to know! This is making their program look bad and turning off applicants to the school before they even interview. If you want to do something about it, let them know about your frustrations with their Admissions. E-mail Dr. Whitehead at [email protected], he is very helpful and open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Not that this is excusable for the stuff many of us had to deal with, but they have new staff and have implemented a new system (whatever that means) to deal with applications. Probably overwhelming in this situation with >150 calls/day!

Thanks, good luck with apps!:)

I'm so excited that next year I will finally not be in the freezing cold in buffalo for thanksgiving...I can eat stuffing on the beach!!!

Just a little something that dawned on me at the thanksgiving table this year.

pretty sure i'll be here in August!!

still slightly nervous about the Fort Lauderdale area and the lack of seasons

I just got accepted. My only concern with NSU is that i heard it could be realllllly humid, but since its air conditioned everywhere, we should be ok, plus the beach would help as well.

I just got in today!!
This is how it went:
1. I call Ellen Rondino...(ringing) :scared:
2. she doesn't pick up :(
3. she calls me back :oops:
4. she says "a decision has been made" :scared::(:oops:
5. ....congratulations! :eek::D

I'm excited guys...great med school, wonderful rotation options...quite possibly the most insanely luxurious campus I've ever seen...beach...beach...beach

i'm happy:)

Count me in.

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens after you mail in your official acceptance letter and pay the first deposit of $950 online? I've done both alreay but just wanted to see if anyone else has done the same and heard back from nova about the next step in this whole process? The whole admin office is a lil slow so i wanted to keep on top of everything and not miss out on something. I know December 15th is the deadline for the first deposit so im assuming some correspondence from them comes after that i hope. Thanks for the help.

I just paid mine and mailed my stuff in certified today, so we'll find out. My stuff will be there by Monday at the latest. Last time I mailed stuff it took one day to be received!

I think it is just a wait till the second deposit type scenario though.

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens after you mail in your official acceptance letter and pay the first deposit of $950 online? I've done both alreay but just wanted to see if anyone else has done the same and heard back from nova about the next step in this whole process? The whole admin office is a lil slow so i wanted to keep on top of everything and not miss out on something. I know December 15th is the deadline for the first deposit so im assuming some correspondence from them comes after that i hope. Thanks for the help.

I mailed in both of the deposits that needed to be received by Dec 15 on october 20th..I was told I would hear more news in january from someone at admissions

I am still really freaked out that I've paid my deposit and still don't know anything about the next year.

If any current students read this, when did you start getting more info from the school?

i'm looking to buy a house, u guys think thats enough to not move me out of davie when im an M3?

Last edited:

i waited about a month and a half b4 i got an interview then about another month b4 i was accepted. also, i thoght i bombed my interview, but still got accepted.

totally.
i'm finding it hard to study for finals...
i'm looking to buy a house, u guys think thats enough to not move me out of davie when im an M3?

are you thinking of actually purchasing a property? I've been looking at some of the bank's forclosing properties and am heavily considering buying a condo in plantation since they are pretty inexpensive due to the market.

What area's are you looking to buy a place in?

I still don't think that buying a place is a good idea. You just don't know how the market will be for one. You also don't know what kind of problems you will happen with the place. Things like pest control, broken dish washers, water heater issues, AC issues...those are nice and manageable by a landlord. Those same issues became a royal pain in the arse with classes on top, especially if you choose to do rotations somewhere else or match into a residency somewhere and then have to unload the place.

Sooo, I just looked over the fall 08 curriculum, and I'm a little concerned about the class until five thing, what are your thoughts on this?

Also, I was interested in doing the MPH program, and from what I've heard the MPH students take their classes at night. Class till 5...mph class til like 8. When do we study?!

for those of you looking for the match list, here it is:
http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/clinical/index.html

also, who wants to room with me ;)
I'm trying to start looking early, maybe get two roommates to slice that $1000+ rent in portions!

It seems like an appropriate time for me to commit to NSU-COM 2013. Count me in for next year, officially now. As soon as the stupid paperwork comes...

Hi guys!!

I just thought it would be appropriate for me to start an SDN account now and show my excitement for NSU. I just checked my status and I'm in!!!! YAY!!!

Class of 2013! w00t!!! Congratz to everyone else that got in :)

Sooo, I just looked over the fall 08 curriculum, and I'm a little concerned about the class until five thing, what are your thoughts on this?

Also, I was interested in doing the MPH program, and from what I've heard the MPH students take their classes at night. Class till 5...mph class til like 8. When do we study?!

for those of you looking for the match list, here it is:
http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/clinical/index.html

also, who wants to room with me ;)
I'm trying to start looking early, maybe get two roommates to slice that $1000+ rent in portions!

Most of the time class is done by 12. You do have labs and stuff but your schedule varies. A lot of the MPH is online, but yes...that is one of the reasons many students don't want to do it. MPH classes aren't tough but you are busy enough with school before throwing in the masters. If you look at the classes for an MPH, most of them seem kind of pointless but I suppose it is more of a thing to build a pathway if you so choose. I thought it'd be cool to get it at first but I realized most of those classes are things I can learn about on my own later on if need be.

Most of the time class is done by 12. You do have labs and stuff but your schedule varies. A lot of the MPH is online, but yes...that is one of the reasons many students don't want to do it. MPH classes aren't tough but you are busy enough with school before throwing in the masters. If you look at the classes for an MPH, most of them seem kind of pointless but I suppose it is more of a thing to build a pathway if you so choose. I thought it'd be cool to get it at first but I realized most of those classes are things I can learn about on my own later on if need be.
Don't quite a few students completing this additional degree do so during OMSIII/IV?
I find it pretty tempting, myself; while you can learn the things later, you can't get the additional degree that says that you have learned those things for free later. A lot of it seems like common sense stuff, and more inconvenient than difficult.... could be an easy way to add a few more letters to your profile :claps:

I made a NSUCOM 2013 group on facebook, so that we can get to know each other before august and possibly find room-mates.

Don't quite a few students completing this additional degree do so during OMSIII/IV?
I find it pretty tempting, myself; while you can learn the things later, you can't get the additional degree that says that you have learned those things for free later. A lot of it seems like common sense stuff, and more inconvenient than difficult.... could be an easy way to add a few more letters to your profile :claps:

I think you finish a scattered class during 3rd and 4th year. Times may be particularly miserable during that time. Yea, if you like the letters then go for it but my personal goals have virtually no use for it. I don't intend to do large community health projects or research in the area. If I pursue a masters degree it will most likely be something like their MSBI or get an MBA at a later date. The only reason for the MBA would be more efficient running of my practice or if I shifted out of standard medicine practice. My impressions are that an MPH (or any of the degrees) doesn't really impress too much on the interview trail unless you are maybe interested in primary care, which I'm not.

The degree is "free" but there is an opportunity cost either way you look at it. While you are pursuing that degree, you won't have that time for something like other student organizations or studying for other classes....or simply decompressing for an hour or two that night. Like I said, if you really do have an interest in public health issues and plan to do lots of that stuff then it is advantageous to get. If you want it just for the sake of getting it then I can probably think of more efficient uses of your time to strengthen your residency application.

I think you finish a scattered class during 3rd and 4th year. Times may be particularly miserable during that time. Yea, if you like the letters then go for it but my personal goals have virtually no use for it. I don't intend to do large community health projects or research in the area. If I pursue a masters degree it will most likely be something like their MSBI or get an MBA at a later date. The only reason for the MBA would be more efficient running of my practice or if I shifted out of standard medicine practice. My impressions are that an MPH (or any of the degrees) doesn't really impress too much on the interview trail unless you are maybe interested in primary care, which I'm not.

The degree is "free" but there is an opportunity cost either way you look at it. While you are pursuing that degree, you won't have that time for something like other student organizations or studying for other classes....or simply decompressing for an hour or two that night. Like I said, if you really do have an interest in public health issues and plan to do lots of that stuff then it is advantageous to get. If you want it just for the sake of getting it then I can probably think of more efficient uses of your time to strengthen your residency application.
Of course you raise valid points; some physicians I have talked to have said you can always pursue that degree later on without much hassle. You really are right about it using up what little decompression time you already have... I guess I'll make the decision when the time comes.

Is anyone interested in rooming with a married couple (well by then we will be). We are looking to split some rent and thought it would be cool to have a med student roommate.

Can't wait to meet everyone! Congrats on all the acceptances. I know it is so nice to have a break in all the med school application mayhem!!

Considering that it's a buyer's market, unless market prices increase when you intend to sell, it will not be a cost effective since most of 7+ of the rotation sites are at least 1+ hours away. That's two hours of commuting every day.

Of course you raise valid points; some physicians I have talked to have said you can always pursue that degree later on without much hassle. You really are right about it using up what little decompression time you already have... I guess I'll make the decision when the time comes.
Definitely valid points. If you're looking to do work within the public health sector, it is just another degree under your belt. Depending on the course, it can be time consuming. It is all about time management. I know students who are in MPH and do a bunch of extracurricular activities. It is all about how you apply yourself. It is great to have time to decompress, but make sure you are a rounded individual.

OK, so I'm in!!!!!!!!!! and am 99.99% sure that's where I'll be going! Bye bye Michigan :p

Has anybody received their PIN yet from them? Apparently it was supposed to be mailed to me? I have to say that I too have been a little disappointed in their admissions office....​

Also, has anybody starting looking into loans....I'm totally clueless as to how to begin this process.​

See you all in the fall!!​

Have made my decision and plunked down my deposit today. NSU it is.

1. House shopping: What are "good" (subjective though the term is) neighborhoods in which to look for houses to buy within ~25 minutes commute….Looking for safe, undervalued, likely to recover when the economy straightens out..... Need about 1400 sq ft, 3-2-2…Not afraid of fixer-uppers, within limits set by med school schedule....

2. Anyone want to meet up at some point in March-April to start looking around, talk about school issues (eg going for the MPH) and/or quality of life issues...or just to raise our glasses and celebrate this wonderful chance we are about to get to learn to help the sick to heal.

Congrats to us all!

JK

I got my pin by talking to Linda in the admin office. Once she was able to find my file she gave me the pin right away. The admin office has been less than stellar, but it is just due to the number of students they are dealing with. They are short staffed and got 3000+ applications, so you can imagine they are a bit overwhelmed.

As for looking at houses, I have heard plantation is a good area and is close to the school. I will be going down at the end of January to look at places as well. I am just excited to head south and out of this cold in Canada. Is there anyone else that will be going down around January/February?