NSU acceptance class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea first thing before work tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
HOD loves to pleasure ppl :)
That'll be my tag line. lol. Quite a few of members of your class are requesting to add themselves to the Class of 2011 Facebook Group. What's with the migration? Are you not pleausuring them enough? lol. j/k. See you soon enough.

Has anyone put any thought into the electives that are listed for the first semester? And are repeated throughout the first two years. Community Service, Preclinical Preceptorship, Research, Guided Study. Do we choose one? If we choose one, since they are repeated sequentially for four years, I am assuming we are pretty much on that track for the two years.

I may ask this on the NSU COM 2010 thread.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. That's what I want, too, and I am afraid it is going to be very popular.

I dont think so, during my interview I was the only one that seemed at all interested in the research fellowship and the students said it was not super super competitive.

Myabe we'll both be doing that fellowship.

I also saw the opportunity to do a prison medicine fellowship. It seems the school has a research grant that will allow students to apply for a spot in correctional medicine. I believe this is what it was called but correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought we had a prison medicine rotation. I am interested in that.

Hi everyone,

I signed up for Medstart Electives biochem and anat & physio; haven't heard anything back from nsu as to start date, format, etc
is anyone else taking Medstart Electives? any info?

As far as class electives, will we be submitting schedule choices at orientation or at some other time?

last (but not least);) has anyone gotten their award letter yet?

Namaste.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo, we only have to pick one elective? GREAT!! Somehow, I thought we would be doing an elective in each...duh? But then we have to follow through the sequence for only that elective...huh?

Hi everyone,

I signed up for Medstart Electives biochem and anat & physio; haven't heard anything back from nsu as to start date, format, etc
is anyone else taking Medstart Electives? any info?

As far as class electives, will we be submitting schedule choices at orientation or at some other time?

last (but not least);) has anyone gotten their award letter yet?

Namaste.:)
Are you on the Facebook Group? I'll post what I put on there. Here you go.

This information is subject to change because the formal process will be coming within the next couple of days. It will have instructions on how to officially register. This goes beyond what was indicated in the flyer through the listserve.

This is what currently stands:

1) At this point, there will be three electives: a&p, biochem, and medical terminology
2) They will be P/F online courses that are self-paced
3) It will take place on WebCT and there will be assistance from upper classmen acting as TAs
4) Courses will run from May-September to allow for extra studying during school.
5) It will be on the transcript but not included in the med school GPA
6) If you drop a medstart elective after you started it, you will receive a W just like any other course.
7) Although the medstart electives are NOT mandatory and allow students to get a jumpstart or refresh their memories, Medstart proper, July 23rd- July 27th, is mandatory. There will be no remedial course. So, for those in graduate housing, you will have to find accommodations for the two weeks before you can move in.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure as to when we can sign up for electives, but I know in the upcoming weeks, Dr. Whitehead will be sending us the CRN? codes to register for classes. In the same manner, we should be able to sign up for electives.

The award letters will not be distributed yet since instate verification hasn't been finalized yet. If you have everything in order in terms of financial aid, you should be good to go. Make sure your FAFSA is turned in, your NSU Authorization form is filled out, and all the other administrative knick knacks are done. You will be notified of your award by email. You may also check webstar to make sure things are in order.

Sooo, we only have to pick one elective? GREAT!! Somehow, I thought we would be doing an elective in each...duh? But then we have to follow through the sequence for only that elective...huh?

Don't quote me on that. I have asked on the NSU 2010 thread, but no on has answered yet. I just figured if you took Research I your first half of your first year, you would be lined up for Research II for your next half year. I am interested to know how easy it is to switch tracks, and if we are supposed to know going into orientation which track we want to be on, and how competitive they are.

It is an option when you're doing your rural care rotation.

Hmm, well, I am interested in rural care proper, too. I wouldn't want to miss out on a regular rural rotation. I think there is an optional rural one 4th year. Maybe I could do one of each. I don't want to do prison medicine as a specialty by a long shot. I just feel like care for prisoners is important, and I would like to find out more about it.

It is self-paced. Do as much as you want when you want, but you must finish it if you start it, otherwise you will receive a W on your transcript, though not factored into your GPA.

Oops, thought you meant medstart electives, not course electives, sorry.

Hmm, well, I am interested in rural care proper, too. I wouldn't want to miss out on a regular rural rotation. I think there is an optional rural one 4th year. Maybe I could do one of each. I don't want to do prison medicine as a specialty by a long shot. I just feel like care for prisoners is important, and I would like to find out more about it.
This may help from the website:

Rural Institutional Medicine
The Florida Department of Corrections and Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine jointly operate a one-month specialized correctional health care rotation. This rotation highlights the unique aspects of correctional medicine and the special health care and substance abuse needs of theinmate population.

Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the rural institutional medicine programs at the Central Florida Reception Center and the North Florida Reception Center, the student will be able to
• recognize the common acute and chronic diseases found in this population and how they are treated
• recognize and treat the common emotional problems found in a correctional facility
• present a complete patient evaluation of one complex patient and have enough depth of medical
knowledge to answer to a thorough questioning or medical staff
• acquire basic knowledge of the rules and regulations governing the prisoner's life

FOR RURALHOUSING GUIDE INFORMATION GO TO:
http://medicine.nova.edu/ostmed/academics/departments/rural/guide.pdf

This may very well be considered your rural care selective and if you do your MPH, it could double as that.

Are you on the Facebook Group? I'll post what I put on there. Here you go.

This information is subject to change because the formal process will be coming within the next couple of days. It will have instructions on how to officially register. This goes beyond what was indicated in the flyer through the listserve.

This is what currently stands:

1) At this point, there will be three electives: a&p, biochem, and medical terminology
2) They will be P/F online courses that are self-paced
3) It will take place on WebCT and there will be assistance from upper classmen acting as TAs
4) Courses will run from May-September to allow for extra studying during school.
5) It will be on the transcript but not included in the med school GPA
6) If you drop a medstart elective after you started it, you will receive a W just like any other course.
7) Although the medstart electives are NOT mandatory and allow students to get a jumpstart or refresh their memories, Medstart proper, July 23rd- July 27th, is mandatory. There will be no remedial course. So, for those in graduate housing, you will have to find accommodations for the two weeks before you can move in.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure as to when we can sign up for electives, but I know in the upcoming weeks, Dr. Whitehead will be sending us the CRN? codes to register for classes. In the same manner, we should be able to sign up for electives.

The award letters will not be distributed yet since instate verification hasn't been finalized yet. If you have everything in order in terms of financial aid, you should be good to go. Make sure your FAFSA is turned in, your NSU Authorization form is filled out, and all the other administrative knick knacks are done. You will be notified of your award by email. You may also check webstar to make sure things are in order.

Thanks HOD; you're awesome with all the info and support. Thanks again.:)
I didn't realize that Medstart Electives run all the way into September; does that mean that I'll be responsible for two more courses in addition to all the regular classes which already include biochem and anat & physio?
Also, if I drop them now, before the start date in May, do I still get a W?

Thanks HOD; you're awesome with all the info and support. Thanks again.:)
I didn't realize that Medstart Electives run all the way into September; does that mean that I'll be responsible for two more courses in addition to all the regular classes which already include biochem and anat & physio?
Also, if I drop them now, before the start date in May, do I still get a W?
You're welcome.

Yes, you will be responsible for those courses. However, since they run from May through September and they are self-paced, you can finish them before school even starts. It's P/F and as long as you complete all the assignments and tests, you will pass. You can take the quizzes as much as you would like in order to pass. Just finish. Leslie did mention that they were not simple though. They take time and attention if you plan to gain from them. Also, there are required textbooks. Check your listserve email for the list.

You are not signed up for them until you sign up through webct. You must email Leslie to get the code to register for them on WebCT. The flyer/form she sent previously was only to get an idea of how many people were interested in the medstart electives. So, to directly answer your question, you're not enrolled in the course yet. If you sign up for them now through webct, it can only be assumed that if you drop them before May 15th, you will not incur the W. Hope that answers your questions.

You're welcome.

Yes, you will be responsible for those courses. However, since they run from May through September and they are self-paced, you can finish them before school even starts. It's P/F and as long as you complete all the assignments and tests, you will pass. You can take the quizzes as much as you would like in order to pass. Just finish. Leslie did mention that they were not simple though. They take time and attention if you plan to gain from them. Also, there are required textbooks. Check your listserve email for the list.

You are not signed up for them until you sign up through webct. You must email Leslie to get the code to register for them on WebCT. The flyer/form she sent previously was only to get an idea of how many people were interested in the medstart electives. So, to directly answer your question, you're not enrolled in the course yet. If you sign up for them now through webct, it can only be assumed that if you drop them before May 15th, you will not incur the W. Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks again HOD; you're SUPER helpful-I hope you run for Class Prez:thumbup:

This may help from the website:

Rural Institutional Medicine
The Florida Department of Corrections and Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine jointly operate a one-month specialized correctional health care rotation. This rotation highlights the unique aspects of correctional medicine and the special health care and substance abuse needs of theinmate population.

Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the rural institutional medicine programs at the Central Florida Reception Center and the North Florida Reception Center, the student will be able to
• recognize the common acute and chronic diseases found in this population and how they are treated
• recognize and treat the common emotional problems found in a correctional facility
• present a complete patient evaluation of one complex patient and have enough depth of medical
knowledge to answer to a thorough questioning or medical staff
• acquire basic knowledge of the rules and regulations governing the prisoner’s life

FOR RURALHOUSING GUIDE INFORMATION GO TO:
http://medicine.nova.edu/ostmed/academics/departments/rural/guide.pdf

This may very well be considered your rural care selective and if you do your MPH, it could double as that.

No no no....

The correctional medicine rotation is a 2-month rotation that may be done for your 2 months of required rural during fourth year. When you send in your rank list for the rotation lottery, you can check if you'd be interested in doing the correctional medicine rotation for your rurals. The spots are given in reverse rank order (bottom rank gets first dibs).

You are also required to do a 1-month rural selective during 4th year. You have the option of doing 1 month at the prison to fill that requirement, subject to availability.

The two months of required rural DO NOT count for your MPH requirement. Many people are able to work it out so their one month of rural selective and MPH requirement overlap, by working at a health department or similar setting.

Thanks for the clarification. I got it mixed up. I thought rural selectives are MPH requirements instead of a vice versa.

No no no....

The correctional medicine rotation is a 2-month rotation that may be done for your 2 months of required rural during fourth year. When you send in your rank list for the rotation lottery, you can check if you'd be interested in doing the correctional medicine rotation for your rurals. The spots are given in reverse rank order (bottom rank gets first dibs).

You are also required to do a 1-month rural selective during 4th year. You have the option of doing 1 month at the prison to fill that requirement, subject to availability.

The two months of required rural DO NOT count for your MPH requirement. Many people are able to work it out so their one month of rural selective and MPH requirement overlap, by working at a health department or similar setting.

Has anyone put any thought into the electives that are listed for the first semester? And are repeated throughout the first two years. Community Service, Preclinical Preceptorship, Research, Guided Study. Do we choose one? If we choose one, since they are repeated sequentially for four years, I am assuming we are pretty much on that track for the two years.

I may ask this on the NSU COM 2010 thread.

Were did you see that we have electives to pick from for the first semester? I thought our schedules were preset for the first year. At least that was the case with my two roommates who are M1s this year.

Were did you see that we have electives to pick from for the first semester? I thought our schedules were preset for the first year. At least that was the case with my two roommates who are M1s this year.

I need to hunt and find where I saw these termed as electives. I think it was in a catalog online, but I am not sure.

Pardon the cut and paste from the Facebook site.

First Semester:
Community Service I
Preclinical Preceptorship I
Research I
Guided Study I

http://hpd.nova.edu/catalog/forms/college_of_osteopathic_medicine_catalog.pdf

The same applies for second semester except it's the subsequent elective (II).

There aren't really electives that you can sign up for except for the preceptorship and that's a required part of the curriculum. The other "electives" are done on your own time. You can volunteer, do research, etc with the free time that you have. You just don't sign up for them.

They are not required, you don't have to do them. As far as I know, no credit will be given.

It is basically volunteer work in a lab or doing community service. As Erica stated, I don't know why it's within the catalogue.*

*Erica Cohen, a current first year clarified this point for us.

To sum it up:

Electives are found in the catalogue, but only the preceptorship is a required component of the curriculum. You can participate in the other electives as you see fit though most students do it in a volunteering capacity. You will be doing this with the free time that you have.

Thanks HOD. Again, wealth of info. You totally get cookies. Or would you prefer brownies?

Thanks HOD. Again, wealth of info. You totally get cookies. Or would you prefer brownies?
Cookies please! Oatmeal raisin mmm, though the future roommate enjoys peanut butter chocolate chip and she'll hurt me if I don't hook her up. :p It's raining here and I'm READY for that BBQ in July :)

I'll make a pastry spread for the BBQ. It is sunny here, and warming up more each day. My pool is starting to look very inviting!

I'll make a pastry spread for the BBQ. It is sunny here, and warming up more each day. My pool is starting to look very inviting!

Say, when is this BBQ? I'll bring my astroturf slip-n-slide!!!

Hooray Kuba! Good luck finding a roommate.

Officially attending NSU! See you all in July. By the way, I still need roomies:oops:

Kuba, sorry you're giving up on UMDNJ, but it seems like you will have a GREAT time at Nova. You guys have a cool, cohesive and fun class already, well before school starts, which is so great! :D Good luck! :luck:

Dude, there's tons of people who are 'still looking'. If you're on the listserv, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Dude, there's tons of people who are 'still looking'. If you're on the listserv, you'll know what I'm talking about.
I think he's looking for a first year though, not a upcoming 2nd or 3rd year. There are more upperclassmen posts than those in our class.

BTW, your future roommate noticed you weren't on the academic society list. Did he ask you about it yet?

I wish this thread got more attention than the facebook page. This would help out future applicants and matriculants much more IMO. But obviously not everyone is a SDNer.

I wish this thread got more attention than the facebook page. This would help out future applicants and matriculants much more IMO. But obviously not everyone is a SDNer.
That's your job Kuba! :)

On that note, if anyone has any questions about the NSU application process, feel free to post it here. Other questions are fair game also.

there's another class of 11 thread that's gotten attention maybe that's why this one has died out.

Yea I originally started the thread in the pre-osteo section but the moderators moved it to here for some reason. Oh well I guess we can just discuss stuff on two threads.