NSU acceptance class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yah - he's clearly planning on being up there at the top! You obviously have a gunner amongst you! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Lottery isn't based solely on luck. Granted that each class makes its own lottery system, but I believe each class has a chance to trade off the clinical sites so that the vast majority of students are happy. As for the rural internships, it comes with the curriculum and since NSU has been doing this for years, it must work to some degree.

You say that you have no choice so I guess it's a null point. :confused:

When I interviewed, they explained that the order/priority of the lottery was random...whether you get #1 or #230 was entirely random...which I think does come down to luck. I also heard that after the random lottery drawing one of your classmates may or may not want to trade with you, but that still doesn't make it any less random or based on luck. It just means that after the fact one of your classmates may find it in the kindness of their hearts to switch with you so that your clinical years might not be spent at your last choice.

As far as doing something for years going to the conclusion that it works...if current students are complaining that this year's choice of when to do the rural internship is creating an obstacle for ultimately matching and doing audition rotations for their desired career path, I would think that means it's not working. I understand the need to ignore the complaints and believe that everything will work out just fine for you...and that you won't be the one(s) shafted by the random lottery drawing and forced rural internship, but apparently if you look at doc2b's past posts, he/she did just that, but when it was his/her turn at the lottery, wishful thinking didn't get him/her that far.

When I said that I will probably go to NSU simply for its geographic location, I was just being honest, but that doesn't mean that disturbing facts about the school are null.

Doc 2b's "Don't go to NSU!!!" thread mysteriously disappeared...I guess he had a change of heart.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc 2b's "Don't go to NSU!!!" thread mysteriously disappeared...I guess he had a change of heart.

or your administration trolls SDN, knows who doc2b is, and threatened him with a lower lottery number. Maybe an SDN moderator is an NSU faculty member. Hmmmmmmmmm?????:confused:

:cool:

Basically, his complaint was this...

During your fourth year, July through December are the "hot" months to do audition rotations at places you'd be interested in for residency. At NSU, we have 3 required rotations to do doing fourth year: 1 month of emergency medicine, and 2 months of rurals. Now most people take the month of July as a study month for Step 2 of your boards, so if you have all 3 of those required rotations during that time, you are left with only 2 months to do away rotations. For the majority of people (myself included), rurals are done later in the year...so I have 4 months in which to do electives.

In his mind (and the minds of many others, including myself), audition rotations are a MAJOR factor in being selected for a residency program. If a program has seen you and know you work really well with them, they are MUCH more likely to take you on as a resident over someone they have not worked with, regardless of board scores, etc.

Its unfortunate that some people get screwed with rotation assignments in that respect, but that's how the system works currently. Fortunately, he WILL have the ability to do an audition rotation during the month of July (which is an extremely competitive month) rather than boards study, and perhaps take his Step 2 later in the year.

Basically, his complaint was this...

During your fourth year, July through December are the "hot" months to do audition rotations at places you'd be interested in for residency. At NSU, we have 3 required rotations to do doing fourth year: 1 month of emergency medicine, and 2 months of rurals. Now most people take the month of July as a study month for Step 2 of your boards, so if you have all 3 of those required rotations during that time, you are left with only 2 months to do away rotations. For the majority of people (myself included), rurals are done later in the year...so I have 4 months in which to do electives.

In his mind (and the minds of many others, including myself), audition rotations are a MAJOR factor in being selected for a residency program. If a program has seen you and know you work really well with them, they are MUCH more likely to take you on as a resident over someone they have not worked with, regardless of board scores, etc.

Its unfortunate that some people get screwed with rotation assignments in that respect, but that's how the system works currently. Fortunately, he WILL have the ability to do an audition rotation during the month of July (which is an extremely competitive month) rather than boards study, and perhaps take his Step 2 later in the year.

Aside from the required rotations during 4th year, how many audition rotations do you believe someone will be able to complete, given the time constraints (I assume that each audition rotation is on the order of a month or so)?

Would it just be one, or could more be fit in?

When I interviewed, they explained that the order/priority of the lottery was random...whether you get #1 or #230 was entirely random...which I think does come down to luck. I also heard that after the random lottery drawing one of your classmates may or may not want to trade with you, but that still doesn't make it any less random or based on luck. It just means that after the fact one of your classmates may find it in the kindness of their hearts to switch with you so that your clinical years might not be spent at your last choice.

As far as doing something for years going to the conclusion that it works...if current students are complaining that this year's choice of when to do the rural internship is creating an obstacle for ultimately matching and doing audition rotations for their desired career path, I would think that means it's not working. I understand the need to ignore the complaints and believe that everything will work out just fine for you...and that you won't be the one(s) shafted by the random lottery drawing and forced rural internship, but apparently if you look at doc2b's past posts, he/she did just that, but when it was his/her turn at the lottery, wishful thinking didn't get him/her that far.

When I said that I will probably go to NSU simply for its geographic location, I was just being honest, but that doesn't mean that disturbing facts about the school are null.
When the lottery happened last year 90-95% of the students received their top five choices when everything was said and done. And according to the list there are more than five desirable rotating hospitals. So, I highly doubt you'd get your last choice.

If many students are not achieving their desired residency spots due to the scheduling of the rural internships, then perhaps our class should rearrange the schedule. NSU doesn't hide the fact that rural care is a core component of their curriculum.

If many students are not achieving their desired residency spots due to the scheduling of the rural internships, then perhaps our class should rearrange the schedule. NSU doesn't hide the fact that rural care is a core component of their curriculum.

Absolutely, I think it would be great if our class or this year's class could rearrange the schedule so that the rural rotations could be done in the late Spring when it won't affect audition rotations/externships....but I get the distinct impression from current student posting on SDN (not only Doc2B but Pegasus), that we, as NSU students, don't get the luxury of deciding when to schedule our rural internship...the school/admin decides, hence Doc2B's complaint. Doc2B's elusive complaint was that for him/her and the majority of his/her classmates the rural internship was during PRIME audition rotation season...thereby, affecting his ability to match into a desired specialty.

No one ever said the NSU tries to keep their mandatory rural care rotation a secret...it is just disturbing that it can be scheduled at a time when you and your future would be better served by doing an audition rotation.

I'd rather have somewhat of a life outside of studying and not try to undermine my classmates to get ahead during the first two years.

Why would you have to try to undermine them? :confused:

Agreed. I'd rather have a cooperative class than a competitive one. Never knew Hasselhoff was so cut throat!

Awww, man! I'm not! :(

Yah - he's clearly planning on being up there at the top! You obviously have a gunner amongst you! ;)

Shhh! You'll spoil my plans, lol! :p

As I think more about going by class rank, I realize that it could be viewed as a competitive thing, I guess, although I don't view it that way. But I think its a lot more fair if it is based on something tangible that can be influenced by the student,versus just luck-of-the-draw! I don't see why we cannot be cooperative and try to do our best. And be rewarded for it.

I only see the competition within the individual to do their best; there's no reason it needs to become cut throat at all. The only person I am ever in "competition" with is myself. I know that I can be a cooperative fellow student, and offer sincere congratulations to another. And if the other does not have an enlightened view of things, and chooses to torment themselves by getting all bent out of shape...oh, well!

If there is no way on the face of the earth to design it so everyone gets what they want for their high tuition, and considering the importance of timing here, then why shoudn't effort be rewarded? You can decide to make this a focus or not. Would you be content if you happen to get screwed and had worked your arse off, while someone with a more "relaxed" style got the best case scenario? I admit, I would be irked.

Shhh! You'll spoil my plans, lol! :p

Right - sorry. Your 'secret' is safe with me! :D

It doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, provided it doesn't breed a cutthroat environment. It just might be hard to get around that in people. Tough to know. Maybe you could do it like the NBA. The highest rank in the class gets the most lottery ping pong balls...and so on, down the line..... :laugh:
Except everyone gets to play. Never mind. I hate the NBA draft....

Absolutely, I think it would be great if our class or this year's class could rearrange the schedule so that the rural rotations could be done in the late Spring when it won't affect audition rotations/externships....but I get the distinct impression from current student posting on SDN (not only Doc2B but Pegasus), that we, as NSU students, don't get the luxury of deciding when to schedule our rural internship...the school/admin decides, hence Doc2B's complaint. Doc2B's elusive complaint was that for him/her and the majority of his/her classmates the rural internship was during PRIME audition rotation season...thereby, affecting his ability to match into a desired specialty.

No one ever said the NSU tries to keep their mandatory rural care rotation a secret...it is just disturbing that it can be scheduled at a time when you and your future would be better served by doing an audition rotation.

Count me in! If it is actually possible to mush them rurals into late Spring, well then that is what shall have to happen! I can see no reason for NSU admin to say nay to this if it is doable. Unless they're simply not cool like that.

Count me in! If it is actually possible to mush them rurals into late Spring, well then that is what shall have to happen! I can see no reason for NSU admin to say nay to this if it is doable. Unless they're simply not cool like that.
I think the question is, is it feasible? I believe the vast majority of students would prefer to be on the interview rotations rather than be in a rural rotations, but to fit so many students into rural rotations at the same time, may be pretty tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are reasons that all of the rurals are not in the spring...getting all rurals in the spring is NEVER going to happen.

First: There are not enough rurual sites to put everyone in the spring. The school has a limited number of places that we do our rurals with.

Second: These clinics are not just allowing us to work there, but actually COUNT on us being there to handle their pateint load. If all of the rurals were in the spring, then these clinics would be understaffed for six months of the year--there therefore less able to serve their populations (and thus completely defeating the purpose of serving the community).

Third: The school gets grants for having students help staff these clinics. If we aren't there, funding goes away...and tuition rises even more (BAD).

All of that being said, I don't think it is fair for some students to have all of their rurals in the spring and other students having all of their rurals in the fall. Right now, rurals are scheduled in blocks of two months (except June and August are blocked together because we get July off). I think that the best solution would be to split the rurals up. Instead of 1/2 of the class having all of theirs in the spring and 1/2 of them all in the fall, give every student one rotation in the fall and one in the spring.

There are reasons that all of the rurals are not in the spring...getting all rurals in the spring is NEVER going to happen.

First: There are not enough rurual sites to put everyone in the spring. The school has a limited number of places that we do our rurals with.

Second: These clinics are not just allowing us to work there, but actually COUNT on us being there to handle their pateint load. If all of the rurals were in the spring, then these clinics would be understaffed for six months of the year--there therefore less able to serve their populations (and thus completely defeating the purpose of serving the community).

Third: The school gets grants for having students help staff these clinics. If we aren't there, funding goes away...and tuition rises even more (BAD).

All of that being said, I don't think it is fair for some students to have all of their rurals in the spring and other students having all of their rurals in the fall. Right now, rurals are scheduled in blocks of two months (except June and August are blocked together because we get July off). I think that the best solution would be to split the rurals up. Instead of 1/2 of the class having all of theirs in the spring and 1/2 of them all in the fall, give every student one rotation in the fall and one in the spring.

Have you brought that suggestion up to admin?

As I think more about going by class rank, I realize that it could be viewed as a competitive thing, I guess, although I don't view it that way. But I think its a lot more fair if it is based on something tangible that can be influenced by the student,versus just luck-of-the-draw! I don't see why we cannot be cooperative and try to do our best. And be rewarded for it.

I only see the competition within the individual to do their best; there's no reason it needs to become cut throat at all. The only person I am ever in "competition" with is myself. I know that I can be a cooperative fellow student, and offer sincere congratulations to another. And if the other does not have an enlightened view of things, and chooses to torment themselves by getting all bent out of shape...oh, well!

If there is no way on the face of the earth to design it so everyone gets what they want for their high tuition, and considering the importance of timing here, then why shoudn't effort be rewarded? You can decide to make this a focus or not. Would you be content if you happen to get screwed and had worked your arse off, while someone with a more "relaxed" style got the best case scenario? I admit, I would be irked.

I whole heartedly disagree with the idea of making the rotation match based on GPA. There are several students in our class who were previously in PA school, Pharmacy school, have masters of physiology, have phd's or did the masters program at NSU before med school (and get to take classes twice and keep their SECOND grade), etc. There is NO WAY...no matter how hard I study that I can ever compete academically with some of these people. I am SOOO far behind where they were for first year, that even if I never slept--I probably wouldn't have done as well as these students.

It is FULLY known that the most important thing to get a residency is to do well in your CLINICAL years and boards. Rather than focus on the sciences, I chose to take and early focus on the clinical side. I have 7 YEARS of patient experience before starting medical school, and worked full time during undergrad to just get in the minimum classes to go to medical school. My science background was minimal--thus I got my ass kicked first year, but I am kicking a lot of these ppl's butts this year--and have much more clinical knowledge than most of my counterparts.

Is it fair for me to get a bad rotation site becuase I have a lot of patient experience and worked in undergrad and didn't do a masters degree before medical school? I don't think it is.

MOST of the people at the top of the class, have little or no clinical experience, and are NOT the students are are going to shine on clinical rotations. Often times, it is the people in are somewhere in the middle of the class that get the best residencies...and you ask why? It is because of their clinical skills. This is what I am good at, and why I came to medical school.

I believe that the match should be random so much, that if it wasn't--I would not have come to NSU.

...and to the person who elluded that the match wasn't random and that administration somehow influenced it...COMPLETELY wrong. Both the SGA president and our class president who are VERY well liked by administration had match numbers pretty low and the list--and I don't think either got their #1 choice.

I have not, if this is a change that is going to be made...it is going to have to be something that incoming students argue from the beginning. They are not going to retroactively make the change for my class--if this is something your class feels passionately about, maybe your class administration can work on from the beginning.

I agree with kai, Pretty much the highest ranked ppl in my class are the masters studets from last year...so i would make friends with them if you can find out who they are...

kai and mike, do you guys find that you have no free time on weekends due to the Monday exams?

I spend MOST of the weekends before Monday tests studying...but that is because I don't study a lot during the week (I have found that medical school was NOT the end of my procrastination).

If you were to keep up during the week, you would have some time on the weekends to study. My study partner goes out to dinner or does something every Sat night with his girlfriend...regardless of Monday tests.

I generally enjoy my weeks...and then study on the weekends.

Well, other options for rotation site assignment could be:

-arm wrestling
-alligator wrestling
-talent show
-eating contest
-dance off!
-shoe cobbling
-timed assembly/disassembly of assault rifles
-your suggestions?

Heck, I would probably be hurting myself if we went by class rank, but at least I would feel that I had some ability to determine this aspect of my medical education.

If it is actually possible for us to have some say in how this is done, why don't we at least put it to our class for a vote?

This would be an improvement. So, as it stands right now, half of the class get it good, and the other half get it not so good? I had thought there was more of a graduated high to low thing.

I thought the Monday exam thing was changing? After the last class on Friday, I am not thinking about med school until Monday. Gotta have fun too!

Fun? We're allowed to have during medical school? When did this happen? :D

(I am only kidding around, I do expect to get go out with my wife at leat once a week or something like that, I was able to in grad school)

Tests on Mondays is pretty rough, but at least its done with for the week then and you can spend the weeknights studing for the next weeks test, and if you do happen to "put-off" studying a little you have the weekend to save your butt.

I dont think the schedule is that bad ...its definately doable to relax once a week and in retrospect it should be a good idea to just take it easy at least once or twice a week so you can study efficiently and not get burnt out.. And partying is usually done either on Fri..or mondays.. Friday because ppl may not have igc..and study until night time..then party on friday night..and have all of saturday and sunday to study..dont worry about relaxing and having time to yourself...there will be time for that

I think anybody that wants to go swim in the ocean, which is full of saltwater, jellyfish, and in the case of south florida, sharks, has got to have a few screws loose in the head.

I have some catching up to do....17 pages on this thread already!

I am a local very non-trad student who interviewed in late March (anyone else there on the 23rd?) and just found out I am accepted! I can help with any local info anyone needs. As for swimming in the ocean, most people are not afraid of the seawater (gasp!) and the other flora and fauna it contains, but swimming in the ocean is not required to get a driver's license or anything. If you make friends with me, I may let you swim in my clean, jellyfish-less pool.

Welcome to South Florida, folks! I look forward to a very cooperative class. I have been so impressed with the students I have met so far (including kaikai...I owe you cookies!)

I've joined the paid pool ;)

I hate to sound pathetic but I am dreading the $2000 I owe soon. I am planning on trying to secure my financial sitch as quickly as possible, but I just found out I got accepted. How long does the financial process take? Did everyone just pay this out of pocket?

-arm wrestling
-alligator wrestling
-talent show
-eating contest
-dance off!
-shoe cobbling
-your suggestions?

Heck, I would probably be hurting myself if we went by class rank, but at least I would feel that I had some ability to determine this aspect of my medical education.

If it is actually possible for us to have some say in how this is done, why don't we at least put it to our class for a vote?

This would be an improvement. So, as it stands right now, half of the class get it good, and the other half get it not so good? I had thought there was more of a graduated high to low thing.

I thought the Monday exam thing was changing? After the last class on Friday, I am not thinking about med school until Monday. Gotta have fun too!
I believe that the school is pretty deeply rooted in the way that it assigns clinical rotations. This topic came up with our class as well, but after feeling out administration--we decided it was best to not pursue it. Seriously though, I would have been 100% OKAY with ANY of the rotation sites. Yes, there are some that appealed to me more than others...but I feel as if I would get a good education at ANY of them (and that is the only thing that matters in the end).

Although I understand the desire to make things better, I think it would be smart to get here first...and get a feeling for how the school is run, why it is run this way, etc. Administration definately responds BEST to people who go thru the right channels (i.e. your class officers) to get things done, rather than individuals trying to make unilateral changes.

Finally, there are some things that the school holds onto quite tightly...and no matter how hard you try, you won't be able to change it (think dress code, attendance policy, etc). The school is very deep rooted in professionalism; therefore, remember to always go about things in only the most professional manner possible.

As with all things in life, CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES WISELY.

I hate to sound pathetic but I am dreading the $2000 I owe soon. I am planning on trying to secure my financial sitch as quickly as possible, but I just found out I got accepted. How long does the financial process take? Did everyone just pay this out of pocket?
For those who were accepted earlier, we had the chance to make two deposits, one being $750 in December and the other being $1250 in March. In that case, the financial burden came in spurts. The vast majority of us paid out of pocket for the $2K. You will be getting your financial aid information in the upcoming months. As for disbursement of money, it doesn't come until mid-August, so it is prudent that you save money for the first couple of month's rent and moving/living expenses.

If you join the Facebook group, a lot of this useful information is contained within the discussion groups. Congrats once again on your acceptance!

As for disbursement of money, it doesn't come until mid-August, so it is prudent that you save money for the first couple of month's rent and moving/living expenses.

I thought we got our aid the first week of classes. Does anyone know the exact date of disbursement?

I have some catching up to do....17 pages on this thread already!

I am a local very non-trad student who interviewed in late March (anyone else there on the 23rd?) and just found out I am accepted! I can help with any local info anyone needs. As for swimming in the ocean, most people are not afraid of the seawater (gasp!) and the other flora and fauna it contains, but swimming in the ocean is not required to get a driver's license or anything. If you make friends with me, I may let you swim in my clean, jellyfish-less pool.

Welcome to South Florida, folks! I look forward to a very cooperative class. I have been so impressed with the students I have met so far (including kaikai...I owe you cookies!)

:clap:CONGRATS:clap:

We're going to have an awesome class!:love: ...only 4 more months!:scared:

It is different for everyone...it can range from before classes start to probably a month after classes have started. Make sure you have everything in and no holds on your account. I would definatly plan ahead to have enough funds available to get you thru August.

As previously stated, it depends on who your lender is sometimes.

besides FAFSA, what else do we need to turn in? how are lenders chosen?

besides FAFSA, what else do we need to turn in? how are lenders chosen?
The NSU Authorization Form. Lenders will be chosen at a later date. I believe they plan to change the list for this upcoming year.

The NSU Authorization Form. Lenders will be chosen at a later date. I believe they plan to change the list for this upcoming year.

HOD,
I just turned in FAFSA; where does one get the Auth Form?

Uh, is there a page telling us what exactly needs to be turned in? (everything on sasevan's link? hi sasevan!)
Uh, do I want to authorize any of those things?
Uh, don't we get to choose our own lenders?
Uh, when can we start applying for private loans?
Uh......sorry for all the questions!

Uh, is there a page telling us what exactly needs to be turned in? (everything on sasevan's link? hi sasevan!)
Uh, do I want to authorize any of those things?
Uh, don't we get to choose our own lenders?
Uh, when can we start applying for private loans?
Uh......sorry for all the questions!

hi tr,
i called 954.262.3380 (or 800.806.3680) Offc of Student Fin Assistance.
they looked up my fin asst status and said i was complete except for the NSU Auth Form; actually they had sent me an e-mail previously to this effect
but i had not checked my NSU e-mail account.
if you've already turned in your FAFSA and Auth Form you should be fine; nothing else needs to be filled out until they e-mail you with the request.
to be sure check out your e-mail account and/or call them.:luck:

hi tr,
i called 954.262.3380 (or 800.806.3680) Offc of Student Fin Assistance.
they looked up my fin asst status and said i was complete except for the NSU Auth Form; actually they had sent me an e-mail previously to this effect
but i had not checked my NSU e-mail account.
if you've already turned in your FAFSA and Auth Form you should be fine; nothing else needs to be filled out until they e-mail you with the request.
to be sure check out your e-mail account and/or call them.:luck:

Thanks, sasevan!

Thanks, sasevan!
Check out your webstar account. Your financial aid information is located there. You don't choose lenders until you get your fin aid package. At that point, you can go for private loans. You don't want to take out too much or too little until you know what the government is going to give you.

Check out your webstar account. Your financial aid information is located there. You don't choose lenders until you get your fin aid package. At that point, you can go for private loans. You don't want to take out too much or too little until you know what the government is going to give you.

Thanks HOD!

BTW, anyone know if there are bike trails around the area?

There are lots of good nature places. Markham Park is just West of there, and there is always the Everglades.

I filled out my FAFSA but am waiting on my PIN to sign it. I will have to print out the authorization form, and then I wait, right?

Does anyone else have a home loan? i am already living where I plan to live. Do we owe any more money, other than books? Do we need to pay for our coats? I will buy some more scrubs (I know a discount place if anyone needs them...) and do we need to have other equipment (like a stethoscope?) as of when we show up?

Oh right, and I have to get a physical and a bunch of vaccinations. Damn.

-arm wrestling
-alligator wrestling
-talent show
-eating contest
-dance off!
-shoe cobbling
-your suggestions?

that was really funny...i am all about the timed assembly/disassembly of riffles. and then whoever wins, the rest of us could shoot their foot off.