Npte

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everybody!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all who passed. I was unable to clear this time. could you please provide me with some helpful tips and strategies. i am thinking of taking any prep courses...what will u guys suggest

Congratulations to all who passed. I was unable to clear this time. could you please provide me with some helpful tips and strategies. i am thinking of taking any prep courses...what will u guys suggest
I passed the NPTE and I found what worked for me was nothing really unique.

I read through Osullivan (the study guide) and highlighted important points which was almost everything. Took the an osullivan exam one week and spent another week spent reviewing each answer both correct and incorrect; utilizing all the PT books I had from school (diff diagnosis by goodman, ther ex by kisner, a wound managment book and the green acute care handbook) to clear up any info osullivan didn't cover as much or to gain more knowledge on that particular topic. I did this for all 3 osullivan exams and the 2 PEAT exams. I also had a therapy ed course manual which was a easy read that basically summarized what osullivan had.

This was my 2nd attempt at the NPTE so I spent longer reviewing stuff that I was already familiar with. If you carefully study how the exams are written in osullivan and peat, you can kind of see a pattern into how the questions lead you to an answer and can trick you if you're not careful. Despite passing, I found the NPTE way harder then all the practice exams I have taken but left the exam feeling that there was very little surprises. Hope this helps! Don't feel discouraged, you've worked hard and have the knowledge. It's just understanding these questions that help lead you to the answers.

I passed the NPTE and I found what worked for me was nothing really unique.

I read through Osullivan (the study guide) and highlighted important points which was almost everything. Took the an osullivan exam one week and spent another week spent reviewing each answer both correct and incorrect; utilizing all the PT books I had from school (diff diagnosis by goodman, ther ex by kisner, a wound managment book and the green acute care handbook) to clear up any info osullivan didn't cover as much or to gain more knowledge on that particular topic. I did this for all 3 osullivan exams and the 2 PEAT exams. I also had a therapy ed course manual which was a easy read that basically summarized what osullivan had.

This was my 2nd attempt at the NPTE so I spent longer reviewing stuff that I was already familiar with. If you carefully study how the exams are written in osullivan and peat, you can kind of see a pattern into how the questions lead you to an answer and can trick you if you're not careful. Despite passing, I found the NPTE way harder then all the practice exams I have taken but left the exam feeling that there was very little surprises. Hope this helps! Don't feel discouraged, you've worked hard and have the knowledge. It's just understanding these questions that help lead you to the answers.

thanks for ur suggestion...at this stage this is what i am looking for...do u suggest that i should go for january 2014 or april 2014

I studied for 5 weeks but I really settled in to nice long days of review but that was my choice and I found it to be less stressful than putting myself on some 16 week uber detailed schedule - it's just not the way I work. I started out using O'Sullivan as my main book but it is written in outline form and just didn't work for me - I just spun my wheels when I first sat down to study. So I borrowed a Scorebuilders book and that worked better for me. I knew from reading the content outline that the majority of the exam was musculoskeletal, cardio/pulm and interventions and general med/sci so I focused there. I decided to just get my anatomy down cold first - to just get it out of the way and give me confidence. I started at the very beginning and told myself that was all I was going to do that first week. It helped me get into the study groove too. Next was to pull all my notes from cardio pulm and read both O'sullivans and Scorebuilders. This is how I handled the rest of the material as well. My notes, Magee, the 2 study guides, other textbooks. I spent a lot of time taking practice tests and even more time going over every single answer (right or wrong) to learn the tests logic and approach to the scenarios presented in the question. There's a difference between getting a question wrong because you simply had no idea the answer and getting it wrong because you fell for a trick or missed a subtlety in the stem that led you astray. I did all 3 practice tests from Osullivans, the 2 PEATS and I believe 1 or 2 from the scorebuilders but they were too "easy" and I felt my time was better spent on the Osullivan. I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't schedule the very next exam in January - it's 4 months away! I feel the most important investment is buying the PEAT exams without a doubt. It's a must. You take one in the beginning just to sort of see where you need to focus and then one at the end of your study period to give you an idea of how you're doing and what's left.

Hey everyone I have a question about the NPTE- How Physiology-heavy is the exam (as in, the stuff that you learned in your physiology class in PT school)? What classes from PT school would you say the most questions came from? What classes didn't have much info that was on the NPTE?

I studied for 5 weeks but I really settled in to nice long days of review but that was my choice and I found it to be less stressful than putting myself on some 16 week uber detailed schedule - it's just not the way I work. I started out using O'Sullivan as my main book but it is written in outline form and just didn't work for me - I just spun my wheels when I first sat down to study. So I borrowed a Scorebuilders book and that worked better for me. I knew from reading the content outline that the majority of the exam was musculoskeletal, cardio/pulm and interventions and general med/sci so I focused there. I decided to just get my anatomy down cold first - to just get it out of the way and give me confidence. I started at the very beginning and told myself that was all I was going to do that first week. It helped me get into the study groove too. Next was to pull all my notes from cardio pulm and read both O'sullivans and Scorebuilders. This is how I handled the rest of the material as well. My notes, Magee, the 2 study guides, other textbooks. I spent a lot of time taking practice tests and even more time going over every single answer (right or wrong) to learn the tests logic and approach to the scenarios presented in the question. There's a difference between getting a question wrong because you simply had no idea the answer and getting it wrong because you fell for a trick or missed a subtlety in the stem that led you astray. I did all 3 practice tests from Osullivans, the 2 PEATS and I believe 1 or 2 from the scorebuilders but they were too "easy" and I felt my time was better spent on the Osullivan. I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't schedule the very next exam in January - it's 4 months away! I feel the most important investment is buying the PEAT exams without a doubt. It's a must. You take one in the beginning just to sort of see where you need to focus and then one at the end of your study period to give you an idea of how you're doing and what's left.
I took PEAT and scored 60 in first test and 67 in second...one was in september and second in october just 10 days before the actual exam. i too found scorebuilders easy but after appearing for npte and i found that scorebuilders exams are not of that much in use compare to sullivan. I have a kid, so i cannot work like u but ur advice for referring and studying makes me realize my mistake for preparation

Go to this document: https://www.fsbpt.org/download/ContentOutline_2013PTT_20120214.pdf It is what they call the "Content Outline" and it tells you EXACTLY what is on the exam - right down to the number of questions on that topic. It tells you what specifically is covered under each topic heading - I really think this will answer your question.

I can also say that the questions are scenario based and require you to demonstrate the integration of the learning in your classes, not just one particular class. So you have a patient with various lab values (learned to interpret in acute care class) which will indicated certain disease or health pathologies (med sci class) in conjunction with certain symptoms or aches/pains/ functional deficits (anatomy, physiology, clincials, eval and treat classes) and you have to chose the best treatment to to try FIRST of the 4 choices given (modalities, clincials, exercise phys, tbi, sci, prosthetics, gait, geri, peds...). I hope this helps.

Also took the exam - it was tough! But PASSED!!!

Go to this document: https://www.fsbpt.org/download/ContentOutline_2013PTT_20120214.pdf It is what they call the "Content Outline" and it tells you EXACTLY what is on the exam - right down to the number of questions on that topic. It tells you what specifically is covered under each topic heading - I really think this will answer your question.

I can also say that the questions are scenario based and require you to demonstrate the integration of the learning in your classes, not just one particular class. So you have a patient with various lab values (learned to interpret in acute care class) which will indicated certain disease or health pathologies (med sci class) in conjunction with certain symptoms or aches/pains/ functional deficits (anatomy, physiology, clincials, eval and treat classes) and you have to chose the best treatment to to try FIRST of the 4 choices given (modalities, clincials, exercise phys, tbi, sci, prosthetics, gait, geri, peds...). I hope this helps.
thankyou redirtgirl...i went through the content outline and have decided to work from there....however, i am foreign graduate (Australia) and never appeared for any license exams there...so if you can help me with some other tips that u would like to share

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what tips you are looking for but if you can articulate it I will try to give you more info. You now know what content will be tested, what books and materials to use to study and the advice to take lots of practice tests and even a timeframe that at least worked for me. Honestly, the way to pass the exam is just to study for it. Take a practice test, study the stuff you got wrong obviously. Use the test prep books for a good solid base but don't just use that as your only reference.

I guess one thing I did was that when I was feeling overwhelmed or just really starting to glaze over I would stop and study something "smaller" or "easier" for a bit. For example, I was studying the shoulder and just got totally burned out on it one day so I stopped and read up on orthotics for a bit which was (for me) a smaller topic and one I felt I was already pretty comfortable with. I still felt productive yet I gave myself a break from something that was just driving me a little nuts for some reason.

Not sure what tips you are looking for but if you can articulate it I will try to give you more info. You now know what content will be tested, what books and materials to use to study and the advice to take lots of practice tests and even a timeframe that at least worked for me. Honestly, the way to pass the exam is just to study for it. Take a practice test, study the stuff you got wrong obviously. Use the test prep books for a good solid base but don't just use that as your only reference.

I guess one thing I did was that when I was feeling overwhelmed or just really starting to glaze over I would stop and study something "smaller" or "easier" for a bit. For example, I was studying the shoulder and just got totally burned out on it one day so I stopped and read up on orthotics for a bit which was (for me) a smaller topic and one I felt I was already pretty comfortable with. I still felt productive yet I gave myself a break from something that was just driving me a little nuts for some reason.
Thanks redirtgirl...After appearing for NPTE what I found difficult was some indirect questions related to patient care and also few questions which did mention some special tests with pics. I was familiar with the test that is performed in the pics but was not sure for which one will be the correct answer...
Okay, so far as per ur suggestion i should concentrate on questions and analyzing it and studying as per my weaknesses...? Can I have ur email or some other contact? if in future I have some question to ask u?

What I found most helpful were the practice tests, especially the PEAT and O'Sullivan. Don't worry so much about the score, I know it is nice to score high for that confidence boost, but going over the questions is what helped me the most. Even the ones you get right, make sure you know why you got it right and why the other answers are wrong. This in my opinion is the best way to do it.

Another quick tip that I do for any test I take is to write down all the memorization crap. That's the first thing I do before I even read the first question. Its nice to ease that burden off your mind and to have something to reference quickly throughout the test. I would do this throughout as well, for example if I read a question that reminded me of another concept, I would write it down as well.

What i heard before was O'Sullivan tests are tough but then I realized after appearing NPTE that I should have done O'Sullivan tests. Secondly, I simply did the prac exams and was concerned about the score and never thought "why". I think, I will do the tests and follow point to point...may be tedious... but that will be best for me as I am foreign

anyone preparing for npte jan 2014. need a study partner in lansing area. please mail me at [email protected]

congratulations to all who passed

nuts2012, you may private message me through this forum and I will be happy to continue to advise as best I can. However, please don't ask me for specifics of content on the exam as I am bound by law not to divulge any such details from the exam.

"Score Received from Prometric - Passed"

I passed!! I think, just curious though, if i failed what would the status of my request say?? Still semi-paranoid I failed until I actually get my score report lol

HI GUYS!!! for those who passed the Oct NPTE, can you give me tips on how to study productively, I took the Oct NPTE, I didn't study much and the last 2 months before the exam I didn't open any reviewers or books because I feel unmotivated, I got 565 on my exam. help me guys. by the way I'm a foreign educated PT.

HI GUYS!!! for those who passed the Oct NPTE, can you give me tips on how to study productively, I took the Oct NPTE, I didn't study much and the last 2 months before the exam I didn't open any reviewers or books because I feel unmotivated, I got 565 on my exam. help me guys. by the way I'm a foreign educated PT.
I scored 587 and m too foreign grad..i had 3 months to prepare. dont be unmotivated otherwise u will loose your confidence and the knowledge you have. at this point i can only tell you only this.. be confident and stay positive.

I scored 587 and m too foreign grad..i had 3 months to prepare. dont be unmotivated otherwise u will loose your confidence and the knowledge you have. at this point i can only tell you only this.. be confident and stay positive.
thanks for the words of encouragement... that's usually my problem, I always lacked that confidence needed and the positivity, event though I know that I can do it, I always ended up doubting my self especially my abilities. before I took the exam like 3 months before my exam I usually get a 75-85 percent on my practice exam, and 2 months before the exam I started to feel unmotivated that's the reason why I stop reading my books and reviewers and eventually that's the reason why I failed my exam. But now I feel more determined to take the exam, I'm taking it again next year. I know that I will pass this time around.

I am planning to take Boards exam in April 2014 in NY. Any tips for preparation? Or maybe study groups.

Im Taking the Npte on jan 29. Just wanted to vent. Studying sucks. Practice test suck. That is all for now.
I am too taking the test on 29 Jan and i am overwhelmed with so much to remember.....!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also about to begin preparation for Jan 2014. Trying to get my study plan together now and may start light studying following Thanksgiving and then pick up speed come December!
hey i am preparing for jan 2014 too..... Any advice would be appreciated...need some motivational support

I took the exam in July and passed with a 773/800. I felt like the best preparation was taking the practice exams. Get comfortable with the way the questions are formulated and gain an understanding of what they are looking for in their answers. I thought that for the majority of questions there were 2 "correct" answers and 1 "best" answer. You pretty much have to use your best clinical reasoning to differentiate between the two. I only used the Scorebuilders study guide, simply because we got it from our school for free. I guarantee you that you will feel like you bombed it. I was certain I got at least 50% of the questions wrong, that's just the nature of the beast. Don't stress yourself out. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my second child when I took the exam and felt like I had never studied less for an exam, but I was relaxed going into it and felt like that gave me clarity.

Reactions: 1 users
I took the exam in July and passed with a 773/800. I felt like the best preparation was taking the practice exams. Get comfortable with the way the questions are formulated and gain an understanding of what they are looking for in their answers. I thought that for the majority of questions there were 2 "correct" answers and 1 "best" answer. You pretty much have to use your best clinical reasoning to differentiate between the two. I only used the Scorebuilders study guide, simply because we got it from our school for free. I guarantee you that you will feel like you bombed it. I was certain I got at least 50% of the questions wrong, that's just the nature of the beast. Don't stress yourself out. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my second child when I took the exam and felt like I had never studied less for an exam, but I was relaxed going into it and felt like that gave me clarity.
[/quote]

hey congrats...and hats off to you...!!! Thank you for your guidance....!!!! can i inbox you here on the forum if i neeed any help..??

Yes, of course. Not to imply that you are asking but I obviously can't share any of the specifics of the test.

Hi,
Can anybody tell me about where to buy therapy ed online practice test...
I tried to google it, but couldn't find it.....

Thanks,
Idleb.

Hi Idelb, I was having issues with that too... I saw on my order form from the course that there was an online test you can buy, but honestly have no clue where to find it. I just realized (I *think*)that the "practice modules" they give you access to after taking the course is the online test you get included with the review... I'm considering splitting a PEAT with a girlfriend...

@markelmarcel ,
Thanks for the info.... I found the sample 50 questions which were really tough.... So I thought it would b a good practice if I bought the full version ...
All the best for the exam...

Idleb.

Reactions: 1 user
Am giving my NPTE in April 2014. Need a serious study partner. Anybody interested? Please respond !

I will be taking my NPT exam in April I was wondering if anybody would be interested in starting a study group over Skype thank you

In case if someone is interested please contact me at [email protected] or txt me 631-355-6162.I have taken this exam in the past and twice I've gotten 73's and last time I took the exam was two years ago