Npte

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlw237

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im Taking the Npte on jan 29. Just wanted to vent. Studying sucks. Practice test suck. That is all for now.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear ya. I'm not taking it until April 30th, but I've already started the prep studying.

Goooood luck!!

Study like mad and take time to digest everything. You've worked to get to this point, finish strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! If you've studied and you focus you'll be fine. And celebrate immediately after (you deserve it!)

I plan to finish school in December 2014 and take the NPTE at the end of January 2015. How much should I study each day?

Kevin

If you aren't taking the exam for a year, don't worry about it yet! You should really devote only about 6-8 weeks to intensive studying prior to the exam.

Anyway, I was looking to post because I'm taking the NPTE on Tuesday. I'm past freaking out at this point and am just trying to have my mind open and ready to take this test. I got an 80% on the last PEAT exam I took, so I'm taking that as a positive thing. 2 days left! Wish me luck!

If you aren't taking the exam for a year, don't worry about it yet! You should really devote only about 6-8 weeks to intensive studying prior to the exam.

Anyway, I was looking to post because I'm taking the NPTE on Tuesday. I'm past freaking out at this point and am just trying to have my mind open and ready to take this test. I got an 80% on the last PEAT exam I took, so I'm taking that as a positive thing. 2 days left! Wish me luck!

I think I got 60-something on the last Peat and kind of freaked out. And then I passed the real thing a few days later with no problem. So you should do great- good luck!

I'm taking the exam on Tuesday, as well! 79.5 on my last PEAT so like you, I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Go in there and do your best. Good luck!!

Do you know what percentage you get on the practice exam correlates to people doing well on the actualy NPTE? I should clarify a little- does anyone know if people say you get a 65% passing rate (just an example) on the practice you should do fine on the real exam? Does that makes sense?...

I haven't heard of any correlational studies for practice test scores compared to NPTE passing. Anecdotally, "they" say the Giles tests are the easiest, the O'Sullivan are the hardest, and the PEAT exams are most similar to the actual test and that in general a 75% is what you should aim for to be a passing score.

The actual NPTE is a weighted score and there isn't an exact # you need to get to pass until after the test is done and they determine a passing score based on the difficulty of each individual exam. Hope that helps!

Darkangel77-- We can both do this!!

Do you know what percentage you get on the practice exam correlates to people doing well on the actualy NPTE? I should clarify a little- does anyone know if people say you get a 65% passing rate (just an example) on the practice you should do fine on the real exam? Does that makes sense?...

There is no direct correlation, but when I went to my board review course, our instructor stated that you should be consistently getting over a 145/200 on the Scorebuilders and PEAT exams to feel "ready" to take the test. The O'Sullivan exams are harder and you should shoot for 130-135/200. Those are the most common review books/practice exams to have. Not sure about other resources.

Reactions: 1 user
How is everyone feeling? Took it yesterday. Was consistently getting 67-70% on the O'Sullivan tests. Am I screwed? I felt as though the O'Sullivan exams vigorously prepared me for the actual exam. Hope I am not breaking the law by saying that, LOL! I suppose practice exams should aim to be more difficult in order to adequately prepare you, so I am not surprised. Hope everyone who worked so hard to get this far has good results!

I took it yesterday too. It was definitely crazy hard, and I don't feel super confident... but then again, neither do most of my classmates who took it either! Now, i just have to wait impatiently for 4 more business days to see if my state posts a license for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to everyone took it this Tuesday. I know this wait is very annoying but hope that all will get good news.

Just wanted to see if anyone can please give feedback, comparing the practice exams were VS the NPTE? I am taking the exam in April. Some mentioned it was much harder than what they have practiced with. I also know this year the exam is in different format, in terms of the questions per section, compared to previous year.

Any feedback will help..Thank you for your time in advance.

Best of luck to everyone took it this Tuesday. I know this wait is very annoying but hope that all will get good news.

Just wanted to see if anyone can please give feedback, comparing the practice exams were VS the NPTE? I am taking the exam in April. Some mentioned it was much harder than what they have practiced with. I also know this year the exam is in different format, in terms of the questions per section, compared to previous year.

Any feedback will help..Thank you for your time in advance.

Can't really talk any specifics regarding question breakdown, but look at the npte website and it talks about the changes for 2013. I believe those to be accurate. Personally and subjectively speaking, I found the O'Sullivan therapyEd practice tests to be a difficult and vigorous preparation for the actual NPTE.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't want a breakdown of question because I know we are not allowed to discuss like that. You answered what I was looking for. I have previous O'Sullivan book, 2012. Do you think I should get the 2013 book? Three practice exams on the book, do you know if they are brand new questions? I can purchase 1 TherapyEd and 2 PEATS online.

Thank you again for your feedback =)

Thank you for your reply. I didn't want a breakdown of question because I know we are not allowed to discuss like that. You answered what I was looking for. I have previous O'Sullivan book, 2012. Do you think I should get the 2013 book? Three practice exams on the book, do you know if they are brand new questions? I can purchase 1 TherapyEd and 2 PEATS online.

Thank you again for your feedback =)

I used the 2012 book and exams, I'm not sure if the new version is updated for the 2013 exam or not. From what I understand, the content and # of questions per section did not change very much. I don't think your 2012 book is obsolete by any stretch. Then again it never hurts to get more practice exams!
For anyone that took the exam on Tuesday... I keep going over questions on the exam in my mind and realizing I made silly mistakes! ARGH. Really hoping those mental errors aren't the difference between pass/fail. 5 hours is a long time to sit in a chair and stare at a screen while your life literally depends on it. You would think as a profession we would find a more ergonomically sound way to test our proficiency :laugh:

I took the exam on Tuesday and I too am kicking myself for dumb mistakes. Praying that it all worked out.

Last edited:
I think it's a pretty common feeling after taking the exam to feel like your made all these dumb mistakes. I keep second guessing myself too. I'm also doubly concerned since I'm working at a hospital right now and keeping my job is dependent on getting a license next week. Eek!

Can anyone explain how the scale score works? I'm a little confused. For example, if there some people who did stellar does that set the bar higher in terms of cut score?

As far as I understand it, it's not curved. So no, a couple people rocking the exam does not create a higher cut off score. They simply set a number that you have to have gotten correct to be considered proficient based on the difficulty of the exam. Anecdotally, it seems to be in the range of 75% plus or a minus a few depending on if the powers that be decide if this particular version of the test was more or less difficult than average!

That's just what I've been hearing.

As far as I understand it, it's not curved. So no, a couple people rocking the exam does not create a higher cut off score. They simply set a number that you have to have gotten correct to be considered proficient based on the difficulty of the exam. Anecdotally, it seems to be in the range of 75% plus or a minus a few depending on if the powers that be decide if this particular version of the test was more or less difficult than average!

That's just what I've been hearing.

Thanks, I've been really confused about that. HOW ABOUT A LITTLE TRANSPARENCY, FSBPT???

I thought that all the prep courses did update their exams according to the new change of 2013. But hearing feedback from a friend and the forum seems like they still have some adjustment to make.
With this kind of exams I have heard anyone come out and say it went great. I'm sure all of you did we'll. keeping fingers crossed for all!! It takes a lot prepare and go through this exam for 5 hrs! And all of did it :) enjoy the weekend and the wait will be over soon..

I havent taken the NPTE or even began to study for it since I'm still in school, but all my PT friends and PTs that I shadowed under said that they felt so defeated, demoralized, and just like "someone kicked me in the nuts for 5 straight hrs" (this is what one of the PTs i observed under said). They all said they felt like they completely bombed the test and failed...but every single one of them passed the NPTE. So eventhough you feel like you might not have done great and are questioning whether you passed or not, I'm sure you all did great! Keep us updated...

This suspense is killing me! It's ridiculous. Its a freaking multiple choice test. You just know that they've finished their analysis and know the cutoff score. I'm just annoyed with the FSBPT...

I know! The suspense is killing me too. I feel so anxious waiting for the results that it makes me sick to my stomach. As much as I try to keep my mind busy I seem to revert back to the darn exam. Ugh!

ahhh, i thought the waiting game to see if I got into PT was tough, waiting for these scores is ridiculous!

as far as scoring, the board decides the cut off score and equates that to a score of a "600" (out of a possible 800). So I don't think you'll ever know what the actual % you need but from the PT's that I've worked with as long as you give yourself enough time to study and score somewhere above 65% on O'Sullivan and somewhere above 70% on the scorebuilders and PEAT, you should be fine.

Best of luck to everyone playing the waiting game!!

Hi, I'm seriously planning on taking NPTE in April and need a partner that I can study with. I took it in October and missed by 2.5%.
Please let me know if anybody interested in studying together !

Thanks !

Fsbpt has up on the website if you passed or not!!!! Passed!!

how was ur exam?
was it tough?
i dont have the guts to check the results

I thought it was fair. Glad I studied npte review and took the two peats. Haha check your status. Join the party

you didnt find it lengthy?
was it ur first attempt?
if not then how was it compared to the others

Mine just says "score received from prometric"... how do you know if you passed?

Where do you go to find out? Is it under "my requests"?

Well this is incredibly maddening. Looks like I will have to wait longer. Congrats to those of you who were informed in a timely manner that you've passed!

Hi,
I didn't clear the test.Can you please share how u studied.
Thanks

So for those of you who it just says "score received from prometric" its because the district you are in doesn't allow the fsbpt to simply release pass/fail status. I had to pay the extra $55 to find out my score today. If you are willing to wait another 5 days, then you can get it for free. But if you are like me and need to know to get that weight off your shoulders, go to "request individual score" and you pay your money and get your results!

I PASSED 757/800. I can't even believe it. Now just a couple days until my license processes.

HI KttDancer,
Congrats....Can you share some tips please...

So for those of you who it just says "score received from prometric" its because the district you are in doesn't allow the fsbpt to simply release pass/fail status. I had to pay the extra $55 to find out my score today. If you are willing to wait another 5 days, then you can get it for free. But if you are like me and need to know to get that weight off your shoulders, go to "request individual score" and you pay your money and get your results!

I PASSED 757/800. I can't even believe it. Now just a couple days until my license processes.

Thank you so much for posting this, best $55 I ever spent to learn I PASSED!!!!!!!! 702/800 not falling behind, not showing off :) And congrats on your excellent score!

Congrats to all of you who found out and passed. Really hoping for the same feelings in April. Now that you have gone through the process and passed, any tips or suggestions for studying and preparing?!? Not asking anything about the actual exam you took, just studying pointers ;)

Sorry to hear the news. I studied the O'Sullivan test prep material almost exclusively. I did of course supplement that information with notes from school and textbooks. I think that the challenging nature of the O'Sullivan practice exams made the exam feel much easier by comparison. If you can CONSISTENTLY earn 65-70 on those practice tests, seems like you should be in good shape (speaking from my personal experience).

I also used O'Sullivan, very dense in terms of the materials covered, but I definitely felt prepared going into the test. I suggest giving yourself maybe 7 weeks to go over the material, just so by the week before the test you aren't trying to cram in as much as you can. Some chapters you definitely want to spend a little more time on based on the breakdown of the exam, but O'Sullivan was definitely a good study tool. I was also scoring between 65-75% on the practice tests. Also take breaks! I feel like I would have gone insane if I didn't' allow myself days off of studying. I also suggest getting the PEAT for extra practice which is provided by fsbt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I actually only studied for about 6 weeks... maybe a bit less since I definitely took days off of studying. I'm also working full-time in a hospital setting as a part of a yearlong internship. I wouldn't recommend studying for more than 8 weeks, everything I've read said it isn't any more helpful.

I took a 2 day Therapy Ed course, and then studied from the manual for that course and also from the o'sullivan book. I read each one cover to cover, made notecards, wrote stuff I didn't know down in notebooks. I took all three o'sullivan practice tests, got low 60s on 2 and a 70 on the 3rd. I borrowed the Giles practice test CD from a classmate and took 2 of those practice tests. Those were a bit "easier" and I got mid 70s on those. My school was amazing and gifted us the PEAT exams. I didn't do great on the first one but got an 80 on the second. I gave myself 4 days before the exam to get my nerves calm, sleep in, study lightly and just feel prepared. The biggest thing the prep course taught me was that the vast majority of people who don't pass, psych themselves out. So I prepared myself mentally, and I think that helped the most!

On test day, I got a good night's sleep. I reviewed a couple notecards. I read each question twice and "marked" any questions that i had any doubt on to review a third time. I felt completely awful walking out of that test, certain I had just completely screwed up. But turns out the preparation paid off!

I wish you all luck! If you didn't pass this time around, give yourself a week, maybe more to just relax. Don't throw yourself right back into the books. You need to give your brain a break!

I second the idea of taking a break if you didn't pass. I was supposed to take the exam in October but I missed the jurisdiction's deadline to be approved for a license. The end result was that it was the same situation as if I had taken the test and failed. I took 2-3 months off of PT entirely and then studied hard for 7 or 8 weeks. That strategy was successful in my case.