Npte

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I'm seriously planning on taking NPTE in April and need a partner that I can study with. I took it in October and missed by 2.5%.
Please let me know if anybody interested in studying together !

Thanks !

Hi, I am considering April 30 exam as well. Where are you based? I am looking for a study partner as well.

Neha

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I live in Texas,, how about yourself. where can I contact you ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I originally took the exam in July and didn't pass. I too was supposed to retake it in October, but missed the deadline. I initially studied from Scorebuilders because my school provided a two day seminar from Giles himself. But I only studied for 4 weeks, plus I was working part time and had other commitments.

So I took a break for a couple months and gave myself 10 weeks to prepare for the January exam, but this time with O'Sullivan. Having gone through both of the study guides I would have to agree with the others in saying that the material and exams prepared me well. But supplemental reading from Magee, Kisner, and O'Sullivan ( Physical Rehab) were also very helpful. Additionally, I did all 3 Scorebuilders exams, 4 O'Sullivan (3 from book plus the 1 i purchased online) and the 2 PEATS. So total 9 exams and I felt that was really good for me because it kept exposing me to different styles of questions.

As i took each exam I had a spreadsheet numbered from 1-200 that said easy, stuck or guess and at the end of my exam I was able to gage what areas I needed to work on. As i went thru each exam I did the same thing and I was able to see the improvement because I had less and less questions that I was stuck or guessing on.

I know this sounds tedious, but not having passed once was enough for me to do whatever it took to make sure it wouldn't happen again. Let me know if you need anymore guidance with your studies. Best of luck!

I actually only studied for about 6 weeks... maybe a bit less since I definitely took days off of studying. I'm also working full-time in a hospital setting as a part of a yearlong internship. I wouldn't recommend studying for more than 8 weeks, everything I've read said it isn't any more helpful.

I took a 2 day Therapy Ed course, and then studied from the manual for that course and also from the o'sullivan book. I read each one cover to cover, made notecards, wrote stuff I didn't know down in notebooks. I took all three o'sullivan practice tests, got low 60s on 2 and a 70 on the 3rd. I borrowed the Giles practice test CD from a classmate and took 2 of those practice tests. Those were a bit "easier" and I got mid 70s on those. My school was amazing and gifted us the PEAT exams. I didn't do great on the first one but got an 80 on the second. I gave myself 4 days before the exam to get my nerves calm, sleep in, study lightly and just feel prepared. The biggest thing the prep course taught me was that the vast majority of people who don't pass, psych themselves out. So I prepared myself mentally, and I think that helped the most!

On test day, I got a good night's sleep. I reviewed a couple notecards. I read each question twice and "marked" any questions that i had any doubt on to review a third time. I felt completely awful walking out of that test, certain I had just completely screwed up. But turns out the preparation paid off!

I wish you all luck! If you didn't pass this time around, give yourself a week, maybe more to just relax. Don't throw yourself right back into the books. You need to give your brain a break!

Congrat! This is great achievement in life.I am planning for April test.Do you want to sell O'Sullivan book and course manual for therapy ed? Please let me know.Eagerly searching to buy those books.Once again big congrat!:thumbup:

So exciting to hear about people passing! Congrats everyone! Did any of you work under a temp license part-time while you were studying or did you just want to wait until after the boards?

I worked as a PTLA while studying for the exam. Fortunately the company I worked for understood the importance in me studying for the exam and allowed for me to work part time. That seemed to be the case for a majority of my classmates who also worked as PTLAs.

It's definitely doable, but you have to really be on top of things, because the last thing you want to do after a work day is sit down and study. It's definitely not for everybody, but I suggest that if you want to work while studying to give yourself a little longer to prepare for the board exam (maybe 7-8 weeks). I definitely found it beneficial to work as a PTLA since 1. you're making money and 2. PTs are usually very encouraging and motivating and the experience I had working directly with patients of various conditions helped with my reasoning skills and what not.

That was my reasoning too, it's easier to remember clinical scenarios for exams when you've had that exact type of patient 2 days ago in the clinic. Hopefully I'll be able to find an employer who is understanding and accommodating. Thanks for the advice, and congrats again!

So exciting to hear about people passing! Congrats everyone! Did any of you work under a temp license part-time while you were studying or did you just want to wait until after the boards?

I worked full-time under a temp license. I basically tanked my social life for 6 weeks to study after work. It's hard to give tips and pointers because NPTE forbids test takers from giving out test question specific info. My two cents. I feel like the o'sullivan two day class did nothing for me. However, the o"sullivan books were exactly what I needed. I studied only those, any question I got consistently wrong on the practice exams I used other books for review. Also, highly recommend buying and taking the PEAt. When it was all said and done I did 1200 practice problems (6 exams).

Hi,

I took my 1st NPTE exam on Jan 29 2013. I missed it by a whisker. I scored 74.5%. I wanted to know if any of you have heard about the verification of scores process by FSBPT and do you know if it is helpful? It really hurts to have come so close and missed it.

Hey everyone. I just wanted to post my experience with studying and taking the NPTE. I took it Jan 29 and passed. It took me 3.5 hours to finish the test, and I am a notorious fast test taker.

I studied for ~ 3 hours 5 days a week, mostly with a study partner. We both read through the whole O'Sullivan book on our own first and then just quizzed each other nonstop. For me, studying with a partner was the way to go for sure! We studied for 5-6 weeks every weekday. Personally, I feel that I wouldn't have accomplished as much on my own.

I would not recommend the Scorebuilders books, although if you want to take more practice tests, it may be worth it. If you have the 2012 edition of O'Sullivan, don't bother with the 2013 one. Most of the questions are the same (my classmate had the 2012 and I had the 2013). The content is IDENTICAL. I would recommend just the O'Sullivan book and the PEAT exams. You truly don't need anything else. Reference textbooks when necessary, but focus on O'Sullivan.

I took 9 practice tests (including the PEAT). I didn't score above a 74 on any of them (range was 61-74) and ended up with a 93% (745/800) on the NPTE. So, I wouldn't worry if you aren't getting amazing scores on the practice tests. With that said, no matter what.....study hard. You don't want to take any chances!!

The NPTE is hard, but the stress of it is really the worst thing. You just have to know your stuff and think things through. You have plenty of time, so take your time and breathe! Write things down, draw pictures...just try to maximize your chance of choosing the right answer.

Congrats Shanna! Way to represent Chatham Univ :0). Proud of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ,I am looking for a study partner for NPTE April 2013 exam ...i gave it once in Jan 2013 and scored 74%,i am based in NY, if anyone interested post me or either mail me at [email protected] .
Thanx

Hey just a different approach for anyone interested... I took the test Jan 29th and got a really good score, I studied about an hour a day because I was in full time clinical for 8 weeks. I studied from an Ipad app called NPTE by McGraw-Hill. I enjoyed the Ipad interface, there are some bugs in the app with the tests so I used the OSullivan book for the tests and I took the PEAT with a couple friends which I would definitely reccomend. This app was only 10 bucks!

I am appearing for npte this oct 2013. so far i have attempted 2 sullivan exam practice test and 1 PEAT exam. not passing in any of them.

I scored 60% in PEAT and 47% n 53.5% in 2 sullivan tests.

I would like to know that how to study. what are the chances for me to pass npte which is just 6 weeks apart:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

give me some tips to pass npte. i am foreign graduate willing to pass in first attempt. please please help me

Please i Would like To Have These Sources and i do not know How
i am From Egypt
Where did You Take Therapy Ed Course ??
Thanks..

I am only a first year but I had some questions. I would like to take the NPTE before I graduate. The FSBT website does not have any information regarding the state of Illinois and if they allow students to take the exam before they graduate. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is allowed? If not, I will have to contact my jurisdiction to find out. Anyway, I wanted to hear from recent grads about when they took their boards in relation to when they graduated. Would you recommend taking it before you graduate? I would like to take the exam ideally during my last clinical. My reasoning is so I don't have to practice under a temp license and to not have to study while I am a full time employee somewhere.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I graduated from a program in the state of Illinois earlier this year and I was unable to even register for the PT board exam until our school sent verifications of our graduation/graduation date. This applied to everyone in my class. Our graduation date was in early May, therefore the earliest date we could take it was late July. Regardless, you can still practice under a temp license till you take your board exams, so that shouldn't be an issue. Plus, you'll want 4-6 weeks to prepare for the exam anyway. You'll be so overloaded with info in PT school that I doubt you'll have time or want to study for the PT exam prior.

Best of luck!

whos taking the oct 30th test? anyone else feeling really frustrated? i just took my second peat and only got a 65.5. pretty much scared ****less right now

@chung

I am getting nervous as well. I have managed one 75 on scorebuilders B, but I am high 60s to low 70s for the rest of them. I have an O'Sullivan C left and will try the PEAT as well.

Hi guys! I m preparing for jan 2014 npte.. I m looking for some serious study partners.. I m frm India... Right now I m in U.S... I already gave npte in July, but missed it with a few points... So if anybody interested, please msg me!!!!
Gud luck for all who r taking npte on 30th oct!!!!!

I'm also about to begin preparation for Jan 2014. Trying to get my study plan together now and may start light studying following Thanksgiving and then pick up speed come December!

Just took the test a few hours ago....not feeling so great about it. Anyone else?

Just took the test a few hours ago....not feeling so great about it. Anyone else?

it was rough...i dont think anyone feels great about it, seeing 2 people from the year above me who graduated a year ago did not help the cause at all.

I thought I was as ready as I was gonna be - 78 on last PEAT, 71-74 on O'Sullivan... Just got home from the exam --- I feel like I seriously bombed. The next few days are going to be very long!

i wrote the exam too...not so sure about it....

I was in the 70-71% range for O'Sullivan and felt completely beat up following the test as did many of my PT comrades. We shall find out in due time

does anybody know when can we expect our results. on fsbpt website it says that our scores will be transferred to state board in five days. what does that mean?

I am under the impression that means in 5 days (it lists 11/6) scores will be available for purchase for $55 bucks - otherwise for free in 10 days.

I am under the impression that means in 5 days (it lists 11/6) scores will be available for purchase for $55 bucks - otherwise for free in 10 days.
I think it means in 5 days it will say either "passed" or "failed", but if you want the breakdown of you how did compared to everyone else (your percentile score) you need to cough up 55 bucks or wait until the free report is available after 10 days.

is that 5 working days or 5 days

5 business days that FEEL like 500 years!

Where will the pass//fail grade post on the fsbpt website? Is it " status of my request," "score report" etc?

Where will the pass//fail grade post on the fsbpt website? Is it " status of my request," "score report" etc?
You can check it in the "status of my request"

Hi, I am considering April 30 exam as well. Where are you based? I am looking for a study partner as well.

Neha
hey neha ,its sneha here.

i am appearing for npte in april'14.
i lives in ny.

let me know if you are interested in serious discussion.

thanks.

I'm also about to begin preparation for Jan 2014. Trying to get my study plan together now and may start light studying following Thanksgiving and then pick up speed come December!
are you still looking for a study partner thn let me know.