NPTE April

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoskyDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After taking the PEAT preparatory exam I found I need improvement in OTHER SYSTEMS which include Immune system, Infectious diseases, Hematological system, cancer, GI, GU, Endocrine and Metabolic systems. Anyone have any good reference material for these subjects. I have the Pathology textbook implications for PT. Just wandered if there were any supplemental materials that are helpful. Thanks and happy studying

Members don't see this ad.

Differential diagnosis by Goodman is a good read regarding those topics if that isnt the textbook you were referring to already.

did anyone of u appeared on 29 jan for NPTE or this is ur first time
as i appeared so just wanted to know and missed it by 1 or 2 questions

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone of u appeared on 29 jan for NPTE or this is ur first time
as i appeared so just wanted to know and missed it by 1 or 2 questions
i am taking my exam in april and it will be my second attempt...i previously appeared in october 2013 and missed just by 1 qs...so hoping to achieve this time..

hey how do u see the results saying you missed by this much marks or number of questions? i never received my score. i understood we receive it in mail from fsbpt

Im taking the NPTE on april, Godbless us all! WE CAN DO THIS !!:)

Reactions: 1 users
i paid $ 90 for complete evaluation report and in that i came to know how much i scored individually in Musculo/Neuro/cardi, Pul,Lymph/other systems

Also check it online on 12 feb under status of my request but in that they never give u score based on the above mentioned areas

Planning to take it this april. It's my first crack at this exam. Im studyng hard to kill it on the first try :)

Also check it online on 12 feb under status of my request but in that they never give u score based on the above mentioned areas
Thank you! Actually I took NPTE on october 2013 :( and missed seeing the score after 10 days. Never opened that site after seeing Failed.

Hey
Anybody interested in studying 2gther through skype for april attempt..

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed the first time (Oct 30, 2013 - score of 594) but passed the Jan 29th Exam. I thought the first time was easy but failed, the second time I thought it was hard but I passed. A few words of advice for you guys:

So...I was probably right about the two tests I took. I really honestly believe the first test was indeed easier than the second time I took it (at least IMO). Meaning it had more "simple questions" and the Jan 29th had more "harder questions".

The first time I just flew by the questions I knew, read the same question 2-3 times just to be sure, answer, and move on. For the questions I had NO IDEA, I would just completely guess (25% chance)! I mean, I didn't want to waste so much time on the questions I didn't know, and just work on the questions I DID know for sure. This is why I most likely failed.

The second time around, when I came across questions I had NO IDEA of the answer (I mean, I have never even heard of this topic my entire 3 years of PT school), what I would do is look for clues in the question.

For example (and this is an easy example, but you get the gist): If it says: "The patient complains of a burning pain sensation, blah blah blah, etc..what is the most likely cause?"
A. Median nerve
B. Lateral Cutaneous nerve
C. Pronator teres trigger point
D. Partial Supinator tear
You should know the answer is a nerve problem (The word burning is the clue). Cross out any muscle, joint or other pathology, and the answer is a nerve problem. If there are 2 nerve answers, then at least you give yourself a 50% chance, rather than a 25% chance.

The NPTE is all about WORDING.
Another example.
The question finishes with: "blah blah blah, etc., What is the best exercise for this patient?".
A. 5 Reps of 10 lbs. abduction
B. 10 Reps of 5 lbs. flexion
C. Call the nurse, the patient is suffering from ketoacidosis
D. Activate the emergency system

Wow, I have no idea! But, the key word is "exercise". So I KNOW it's not answer C or D! Now I have a 50% chance by picking A or B!

HOWEVER, if it says:
The question finishes with: "blah blah blah, etc., What is the appropriate action for this patient?".
NOW, the answer can be A, B, C, or D! Then you will have to look for other clues in the question to rule out two or even 3 answer choices.

I use to think: "concentrate on what you know, and just blow off the ones you don't know because it's a waste of time, because if you dont know it, you're wasting your time thinking and you will get it wrong anyway!" Wrong!

I reasoned out every question I didn't know (and there was ALOT I didn't know this time), and I end up passing somehow. There were not a lot of simple questions (IMO) on the Jan 29th test, and just by looking at the WORDING, I believe it is why I passed.
Disclaimer: This is only my speculation and my 2 cents!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for sharing, will keep that in mind. I do pretty similar to your first experience.

Reactions: 1 user
hey how do u see the results saying you missed by this much marks or number of questions? i never received my score. i understood we receive it in mail from fsbpt
when i got the report, I analyzed my score report....fsbpt evaluates test in four section, therapyed introduction says if u score 149 qs correct out of 200, then it is equivalent to 600..so when i got my score report, i calculated how much correct i got and that's how i got to know my score

I failed the first time (Oct 30, 2013 - score of 594) but passed the Jan 29th Exam. I thought the first time was easy but failed, the second time I thought it was hard but I passed. A few words of advice for you guys:

So...I was probably right about the two tests I took. I really honestly believe the first test was indeed easier than the second time I took it (at least IMO). Meaning it had more "simple questions" and the Jan 29th had more "harder questions".

The first time I just flew by the questions I knew, read the same question 2-3 times just to be sure, answer, and move on. For the questions I had NO IDEA, I would just completely guess (25% chance)! I mean, I didn't want to waste so much time on the questions I didn't know, and just work on the questions I DID know for sure. This is why I most likely failed.

The second time around, when I came across questions I had NO IDEA of the answer (I mean, I have never even heard of this topic my entire 3 years of PT school), what I would do is look for clues in the question.

For example (and this is an easy example, but you get the gist): If it says: "The patient complains of a burning pain sensation, blah blah blah, etc..what is the most likely cause?"
A. Median nerve
B. Lateral Cutaneous nerve
C. Pronator teres trigger point
D. Partial Supinator tear
You should know the answer is a nerve problem (The word burning is the clue). Cross out any muscle, joint or other pathology, and the answer is a nerve problem. If there are 2 nerve answers, then at least you give yourself a 50% chance, rather than a 25% chance.

The NPTE is all about WORDING.
Another example.
The question finishes with: "blah blah blah, etc., What is the best exercise for this patient?".
A. 5 Reps of 10 lbs. abduction
B. 10 Reps of 5 lbs. flexion
C. Call the nurse, the patient is suffering from ketoacidosis
D. Activate the emergency system

Wow, I have no idea! But, the key word is "exercise". So I KNOW it's not answer C or D! Now I have a 50% chance by picking A or B!

HOWEVER, if it says:
The question finishes with: "blah blah blah, etc., What is the appropriate action for this patient?".
NOW, the answer can be A, B, C, or D! Then you will have to look for other clues in the question to rule out two or even 3 answer choices.

I use to think: "concentrate on what you know, and just blow off the ones you don't know because it's a waste of time, because if you dont know it, you're wasting your time thinking and you will get it wrong anyway!" Wrong!

I reasoned out every question I didn't know (and there was ALOT I didn't know this time), and I end up passing somehow. There were not a lot of simple questions (IMO) on the Jan 29th test, and just by looking at the WORDING, I believe it is why I passed.
Disclaimer: This is only my speculation and my 2 cents!

i agree with you...i also did the same in my first try, that was in october....i didnt reappear in jan, as i am foreign grad thought of taking some more time...as some of the concepts were really new for me n whatever u wrote the exact same thing i understood to answer the qs

I am taking test in April. Based on NY and need a study partner. Studying via skype wld do for me.

I failed in my first attempt. Planning to take again in April. I am based in NJ and we can do skype as I need a study partner.

Hey. Can u give me till today evening please. Ll let u know by then. I just got 1 study partner. I have to ask her and then we can do it via Skype conferencing

hi ppl, i attempted for the first time on jan 29th and failed :( got 516, feeling so low. But i totally agree with Stiga9 its all about the wordings. Any idea where we can get more question papers to practice. Also i have NPTE review guide 2013, is there any change in the practice papers in the NPTE review guide 2014? Hope all of us pass for this april exam. Wish you all the best of luck

hi ppl, i attempted for the first time on jan 29th and failed :( got 516, feeling so low. But i totally agree with Stiga9 its all about the wordings. Any idea where we can get more question papers to practice. Also i have NPTE review guide 2013, is there any change in the practice papers in the NPTE review guide 2014? Hope all of us pass for this april exam. Wish you all the best of luck
i have seen npte 2014...questions are exactly the same as npte 2013...

I purchased this on Amazon. It has 16 practice tests all scored like the FSBPT would score it (the 200-800 scoring system). It is updated to include the changes to the test (72% MSK, Neuro, CP). I just got it today, and it looks like it will be a good help. I think the biggest thing for me was getting tripped up by the wording of the questions, so the more tests I see, the better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HO0PZJ0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took 3 tests from Scorebuilders, 3 tests from O Sullivan, 2 tests from TherapyEd, and 2 tests from PEATs.

Scorebuilders and PEATs is what I felt helped me the most. O'Sullivan was way too detailed. They ask things I know would never be asked on the NPTE (or even remotely close). TherapyEd was very different.

Overall, taking those 10 tests made my mind more broad for what might be asked or not and I recommend the same for others. That link from @wrennywren seems great! Wish I saw it before.

In a nut shell, if you analyze thousands of questions and answers, understand why you know its correct or why its incorrect, there is no way anyone can fail the NPTE.

Hi
I am looking for a serious study partner for April 2014 exam please mail me if interested at [email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Hows it going with preparation ?
Well i m freaking out with stress

Hi everyone.
Am new on this forum. I will be taking my npte in 2 weeks. and am getting nervous and discouraged. Anyone else feeling the same?

Mail me for Study Tips:
http://landmarklearninginstitute.wordpress.com/npte/

I have a PT degree from India... practiced for about 3 years before moving to USA.
Later, I got an MBA-MHA Dual Degree a State University in USA & am currently working in an insurance company.
I haven't practiced PT for about 3-4 years now. I took the NPTE in 2011 but failed. But then passes in April 2014.

I'm happy to share my insights and study tips.
Feel free to email me.

Hello everyone 1 WEEK TO GO...HOW MUCH ARE U GETTING IN PEAT EXAM.. ? i have got very low . So , still thinking should i go for the exam or no? is anyone else getting the same feeling?

Hello everyone 1 WEEK TO GO...HOW MUCH ARE U GETTING IN PEAT EXAM.. ? i have got very low . So , still thinking should i go for the exam or no? is anyone else getting the same feeling?
Hi Twi. I took my peat months b4 now....used it to study areas I was lacking. The exam is only few days away you might as we go for it. What was your score?

hey..thanks for the reply mishPT . I have also used it as a tool at the starting of this month. I have studied thoroughly now where i was weak. I got low 50' in them . And i have also done 3 scorebuilders , 3 sullivan and 1 therapy ed test. I am freaking out right now 1 day to go. Dont know what gonna happen?

feeling miserable :bang:about the npte...felt hard...

i feel you. i almost ran out of time. it was really difficult...

Finally felt the craziness !! Hope for the Best and Relax :) .. ALL THE BEST EVERYONE !!

is it just me (and nuts2012) or was it as hard for everyone else? :(

It was tough for me as well . But According to me if you cant change anything now so let it be. Enjoy your days :)

Reactions: 1 user
I also ran out of time . It was very much lengthy :arghh:

Hi guys. Am speechless......my God it Was tough and lengthy!! I almost ran out of time too.

for me until section 4 i was 10 mins behind time n then in last section i have to cover up so that i dont miss any qs

What would you guys say helped you prepare d most...as far as practice exams? This might be too soon to discuss, but am anxious to vent. I feel like all the practice exams I took have not been updated to the new npte format. I took all 3 scorebuilder, 2peat, 2 Online advantage(by score builder, Giles) and only took exam one of the Therapy Ed.
Yet I feel I hardly prepared or studied! Anyway. ...I hope we all did well.

mish
What would you guys say helped you prepare d most...as far as practice exams? This might be too soon to discuss, but am anxious to vent. I feel like all the practice exams I took have not been updated to the new npte format. I took all 3 scorebuilder, 2peat, 2 Online advantage(by score builder, Giles) and only took exam one of the Therapy Ed.
Yet I feel I hardly prepared or studied! Anyway. ...I hope we all did well.
u mean useless to buy those online practice exams?