NPs can now do dermatology residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I apologize if it's been brought up before earlier in the thread; A few of the attendings I've worked with say essentially that politicians are easily persuaded because they don't know the difference between practical medical knowledge and medical knowledge. There is a world of difference between the two but the nurses like to think they are the same. They are blatantly dishonest about it. Its sickening.

Unfortunately, the AMA hasn't helped much either. I read in another forum that anethesiologists are pissed off at the AMA because they were sold out. But I digress...

Members don't see this ad.

The problem also is that they make the Dermatology residency so friggin' competitive, to the extent that you have to have scored perfect on your boards, get letters of recommendations from the Pope, and have done PhD level research in Derm to get in....

...on the other hand, you can become a nurse doctor and bypass all of the mumbo jumbo and become a Nurse Dermatologist.

NOW TELL ME WHERE THE PROBLEM IS!

It's funny that some nurses think that they carry more credibility than physicians, but when the s#$%%t hits the fan, they rely on the physician!

The problem also is that they make the Dermatology residency so friggin' competitive, to the extent that you have to have scored perfect on your boards, get letters of recommendations from the Pope, and have done PhD level research in Derm to get in....

...on the other hand, you can become a nurse doctor and bypass all of the mumbo jumbo and become a Nurse Dermatologist.

It's funny that some nurses think that they carry more credibility than physicians, but when the s#$%%t hits the fan, they rely on the physician!

Preach! :)

Honestly why not do this, let's say you go to med school graduate but do not match into dermatology.

You do intern yr and pass step 3 to get full license, THEN you go and do 2 yrs of Nursing School with their Dermatology residency.....

You are a physician, you have a license, and now you are "dermatology trained". Is this an option for those who do not match or have a hard time getting into residencies of their choice?

I wonder how the public would respond to this? Probably would not care. Only concern is how would billing work. Then go and pay your own way for cosmetic derm stuff as well.

Honestly why not do this, let's say you go to med school graduate but do not match into dermatology.

You do intern yr and pass step 3 to get full license, THEN you go and do 2 yrs of Nursing School with their Dermatology residency.....

You are a physician, you have a license, and now you are "dermatology trained". Is this an option for those who do not match or have a hard time getting into residencies of their choice?

I wonder how the public would respond to this? Probably would not care. Only concern is how would billing work. Then go and pay your own way for cosmetic derm stuff as well.
I think the nursing side has a bit more politic than that involved. There would probably be some nurse manager running the program to deflect you over to the medical residency side. There is also the issue of board eligible/board certified as a physician, regardless of training.

I do find it a bit irritating that their are less years in training for nursing to do a similar job. I say similar because a lot of their stuff is algorithm based (which, like BISS (because I said so,) is the true definition of "cookbook medicine.") If something doesn't match the algorithm, it throws them into a tizz. Seen it happen, and seen them having to fall back onto an physician rather than their own wits because the knowledge base isn't there.

While the pressure from the Nurses and the Nursing Lobby is pushing to encroach on physician turf, we must also consider that technology is pushing up on the nursing turf.

Look at technology 10 years ago compared to now. Or 20 years ago compared to now. Or 30 years ago compared to now. The change is so dramatic that if you lived back then and were given a glimpse into modern day, you would be blown away by the advances. These advances are happening at a dramatic rate and will only happen faster with the more that we know.

The problem for NP's is that a lot of their work is algorithmic. Due to their education requirements being less in terms of total hours and in terms of less rigorous science background courses, there's never going to be the instance where an NP is actually as truly knowledgeable as a physician. Physicians simply go through too much training for an NP or even a DNP to catch up. They can go find ways around the system to try to get their share of the pie, but unfortunately their only way is through political means because the only OTHER way is to step up your educational requirements to make them more or less equal to docs.

I personally don't welcome this encroachment, but long term I don't know how dangerous it may be. What I predict will actually happen: Due to algorithmic nature of the nurse practitioner's work, they will be easily replaced by computers. You could realistically create an algorithm-based software program that is sort of a questionaire for patients, for instance in dermatology, and it would diagnose based on the algorithm. Except the machine will be a fixed cost of several thousands of dollars, and will definitely be cheaper than a 50k-100k salaried DNP. If you want to use cost as an argument for NP's and DNP's to play doctor, then cost will come back to bite them in the behind when they are being replaced by computers.

At the end of the day, your 4 years of medical training at a real med school + x years residency will set you apart from NP's and DNP's who don't understand the processes and sciences behind illnesses. After going through an algorithm and seeing that a patient's illness doesn't fit, there will be no choice left but to send that patient to a real physician. Also, due to the legal atmosphere of this country, people are always gonna want someone to sue in case something goes wrong. If hospitals employ DNP's to cut costs, they would likely take on liability for their underqualified DNP's playing physician, they'll soon realize after the first few law suits roll out that it's a bad move for them financially.

While the pressure from the Nurses and the Nursing Lobby is pushing to encroach on physician turf, we must also consider that technology is pushing up on the nursing turf.

Look at technology 10 years ago compared to now. Or 20 years ago compared to now. Or 30 years ago compared to now. The change is so dramatic that if you lived back then and were given a glimpse into modern day, you would be blown away by the advances. These advances are happening at a dramatic rate and will only happen faster with the more that we know.

The problem for NP's is that a lot of their work is algorithmic. Due to their education requirements being less in terms of total hours and in terms of less rigorous science background courses, there's never going to be the instance where an NP is actually as truly knowledgeable as a physician. Physicians simply go through too much training for an NP or even a DNP to catch up. They can go find ways around the system to try to get their share of the pie, but unfortunately their only way is through political means because the only OTHER way is to step up your educational requirements to make them more or less equal to docs.

I personally don't welcome this encroachment, but long term I don't know how dangerous it may be. What I predict will actually happen: Due to algorithmic nature of the nurse practitioner's work, they will be easily replaced by computers. You could realistically create an algorithm-based software program that is sort of a questionaire for patients, for instance in dermatology, and it would diagnose based on the algorithm. Except the machine will be a fixed cost of several thousands of dollars, and will definitely be cheaper than a 50k-100k salaried DNP. If you want to use cost as an argument for NP's and DNP's to play doctor, then cost will come back to bite them in the behind when they are being replaced by computers.

At the end of the day, your 4 years of medical training at a real med school + x years residency will set you apart from NP's and DNP's who don't understand the processes and sciences behind illnesses. After going through an algorithm and seeing that a patient's illness doesn't fit, there will be no choice left but to send that patient to a real physician. Also, due to the legal atmosphere of this country, people are always gonna want someone to sue in case something goes wrong. If hospitals employ DNP's to cut costs, they would likely take on liability for their underqualified DNP's playing physician, they'll soon realize after the first few law suits roll out that it's a bad move for them financially.

ugh, memorizing protocols is painful. dont people like to know the reasons behind things?

so when this healthcare system comes crashing down, where do you think things will go?

ugh, memorizing protocols is painful. dont people like to know the reasons behind things?

so when this healthcare system comes crashing down, where do you think things will go?

People don't like to know more than they have to. They like instant gratification in this fast food style culture.

Are you asking me specifically where I think health care will go when it comes crashing down? I honestly can't say where it's going. If you look at the history of medicine, it's pretty much been in a constant evolution and in the grand scheme of the human timeline, it wasn't very long ago that we were blood letting with leeches. This is all a natural progression and we must be active politically to ensure that our careers don't become watered down due to the growth of corporate health care. My previous post wasn't written to deter current and prospective medical students and professionals to become active in their future. We still need to look out for our own interests.

I think automation will take place and it's inevitable. Why pay an NP or DNP high five figures or low six figures to do protocols when you can hire a lower wage worker like an EMT, medical assistant, etc. to go through a computer program that is basically a DNP decision support system (DSS)? I think that what I describe is a possible scenario resulting from the constant pressure of cost cutting. Doctors as workers will always be harder to replace because of their abilities, whether it is their knowledge base or their ability to provide a physical treatment, ie. a surgical procedure.

Realistically, every job on the planet has the threat of automation, but the more you know or the more you can do, the more time you've bought yourself.

The demand for health care will always be there and it's expected to grow. They can throw a bunch of under-qualified workers at the problem, but you're going to have crap results. It will get to the point where those who can afford a doctor will go see one, and those who can only afford a DNP or NP will go see one. Next thing you know, you have a 2-tier system which grew from the market forces and each tier represents a different price point for the consumer.

Sure, they could tie licensure to accepting some government payor crap, but if the government cuts reimbursements so much, it will eventually hit a breaking point where the physician will either not be in business anymore because he can't pay the bills or it may even get to the point where there will be a shortage of physicians due to the number of people unwilling to make the medical education investment. Either way, their price controls create a shortage for the service. The demand will still be high, you'll have people willing to pay out of their pocket, and then the free market pops back up.

That's one thing that micromanaging bureaucrats never seem to get. No matter how hard you suppress and distort the free market, it will always push it's way through in the end.

People don't like to know more than they have to. They like instant gratification in this fast food style culture.

Are you asking me specifically where I think health care will go when it comes crashing down? I honestly can't say where it's going. If you look at the history of medicine, it's pretty much been in a constant evolution and in the grand scheme of the human timeline, it wasn't very long ago that we were blood letting with leeches. This is all a natural progression and we must be active politically to ensure that our careers don't become watered down due to the growth of corporate health care. My previous post wasn't written to deter current and prospective medical students and professionals to become active in their future. We still need to look out for our own interests.

I think automation will take place and it's inevitable. Why pay an NP or DNP high five figures or low six figures to do protocols when you can hire a lower wage worker like an EMT, medical assistant, etc. to go through a computer program that is basically a DNP decision support system (DSS)? I think that what I describe is a possible scenario resulting from the constant pressure of cost cutting. Doctors as workers will always be harder to replace because of their abilities, whether it is their knowledge base or their ability to provide a physical treatment, ie. a surgical procedure.

Realistically, every job on the planet has the threat of automation, but the more you know or the more you can do, the more time you've bought yourself.

The demand for health care will always be there and it's expected to grow. They can throw a bunch of under-qualified workers at the problem, but you're going to have crap results. It will get to the point where those who can afford a doctor will go see one, and those who can only afford a DNP or NP will go see one. Next thing you know, you have a 2-tier system which grew from the market forces and each tier represents a different price point for the consumer.

Sure, they could tie licensure to accepting some government payor crap, but if the government cuts reimbursements so much, it will eventually hit a breaking point where the physician will either not be in business anymore because he can't pay the bills or it may even get to the point where there will be a shortage of physicians due to the number of people unwilling to make the medical education investment. Either way, their price controls create a shortage for the service. The demand will still be high, you'll have people willing to pay out of their pocket, and then the free market pops back up.

That's one thing that micromanaging bureaucrats never seem to get. No matter how hard you suppress and distort the free market, it will always push it's way through in the end.

interesting views here. one thing i see on a hospital administration standpoint is people reluctant to be efficient and do things it seems to purposely justify their jobs. i cannot tell you how many times i have seen this. bothers me quite a bit too when you see everyone trying to do BS that keeps their position alive.

i think the cost of medical education is skyrocketing. states are cutting their budgets and states schools are getting close to cost of private medical schools in some states. couple that with the decreasing reimbursement i dont see how anyone can pay back their loans without being in a high paying specialty. just does not make any sense.

Well, Obama said doctors aren't allowed to own/have stake in hospitals here anymore (no medicare payments) ... so why not be a baller and open one in the Caymans? If you can't beat 'em ...

This really supports my belief that no matter how hard the bureaucrats try to suppress the market, it will force itself through in some way, shape, or form.

This really supports my belief that no matter how hard the bureaucrats try to suppress the market, it will force itself through in some way, shape, or form.

Hopefully, though it kind of sucks that so many restrictions are put on docs and so many people are clawing after their jobs that I think throwing my hat into health care admin/ownership in the Caymans is the best way to make the whole damn thing liquid.

Your scenario is unlikely but possible, though it'd be more than 2 years of nursing to get the DNP. Assuming that you have a bachelor's degree already (i.e. aren't an FMG who went directly to medical school), who has the prerequisites for nursing school (probably do if you went to medical school) doing an accelerated program would take 2 years to get an NP (master's). Then you'd do the DNP on top of that, the fastest of which would be an additional year.
So it'd be 3 years, although now that I think about it if you really did manage to do this with an internship plus 3 years you'd be "board certified" in dermatology with most of the time spent training in nursing in the same amount of time that it takes to get through a dermatology residency. And you'd get to put MD on your white coat too, lol.
I assume that the insane amount of debt that this road would rack up for you (seriously...undergrad plus med school plus nursing school plus a DNP) and most people's psychological need for self respect will stop people from doing this. And anyways, why bother-if you really want to just see skin stuff you can just be one of the various primary care people who have a focus on skin diseases but aren't dermatologists. Something that could probably start it's own huge flame war thread.

Your scenario is unlikely but possible, though it'd be more than 2 years of nursing to get the DNP. Assuming that you have a bachelor's degree already (i.e. aren't an FMG who went directly to medical school), who has the prerequisites for nursing school (probably do if you went to medical school) doing an accelerated program would take 2 years to get an NP (master's). Then you'd do the DNP on top of that, the fastest of which would be an additional year.
So it'd be 3 years, although now that I think about it if you really did manage to do this with an internship plus 3 years you'd be "board certified" in dermatology with most of the time spent training in nursing in the same amount of time that it takes to get through a dermatology residency. And you'd get to put MD on your white coat too, lol.
I assume that the insane amount of debt that this road would rack up for you (seriously...undergrad plus med school plus nursing school plus a DNP) and most people's psychological need for self respect will stop people from doing this. And anyways, why bother-if you really want to just see skin stuff you can just be one of the various primary care people who have a focus on skin diseases but aren't dermatologists. Something that could probably start it's own huge flame war thread.

Honestly though ... it would feel pretty sweet to start 'encroaching' on the DNP 'turf' instead of the other way around.

Honestly though ... it would feel pretty sweet to start 'encroaching' on the DNP 'turf' instead of the other way around.

LOL their turf isn't that sweet though, that's why they're coming onto ours

LOL their turf isn't that sweet though, that's why they're coming onto ours

For sure ... just saying it would be funny to give them a taste of their own medicine (which they practice the exact same way as a doctor ... just paid less :rolleyes:)

Here's an ad in a newspaper:

Print.jpg

Notice she is listed as going to medical school at the University of Iowa.

Print.jpg

she is probably gonna sue the hospital for listing her supervising physician. SHe thinks she doesnt have to be supervised

http://health.usf.edu/nocms/nursing/AdmissionsPrograms/dnp_residency.html

I guess they didn't listen to our outcries about dermatology.

I'm sure you guys will move this to topics in healthcare, but people have to see this in combination with the dermatology residency thread.

I don't understand why the LCME doesn't threaten to pull their accreditation for this BS. Seems to me like that would solve the problem QUICK.

Print.jpg

Wow. I seriously think this borders on blatant misinformation/fraud. I'm going to get a job as a janitor at Harvard, open up a clinic as a botox specialist, and put Medical School: Harvard (I swept up the anatomy lab a few times).

In case it wasn't obvious, the cardiology/PM&R "residency" thread has been merged into the already existing thread in Gen Res that has, at least, some tangential relationship to general residency issues. We don't need a new noctor thread every time someone sees a new ad or just gets a particular bug to post one. And not every (in fact very few) noctor thread belongs in Gen Res; they are often better suited to Topics In Healthcare or some other forum.

BTW, the ad above makes me want to hurl.

Reactions: 1 user
If you go to their website, she is also listed under "Search for a Physician". Although at least there it talks about her having a Master's in Nursing and not having attended medical school.

:mad:

http://health.usf.edu/nocms/nursing/AdmissionsPrograms/dnp_residency.html

I guess they didn't listen to our outcries about dermatology.
The PM&R residency is also called "advanced spinal cord and brain trauma" residency.

They also have a NICU residency.
Fantastic. Looks like they have "highly specialized DNP advanced nursing practice residency concentrations" in:

dermatology
spinal cord and traumatic brain injury
preventive cardiology
neonatal intensive care
gerontology

I guess USF figured we would not be watching and try to pull the wool over our eyes again!

Speaking of Cardiac NP's-

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/20100808_Nurses_who_are_doctors.html

How many nuclear bombs need to drop before physicians take a stand against this crap?!
Boom! Good article.

she has a supervising physician, so i dont see this as a threat to physicians, as she's not practicing independently and the physician allows her to help him/her, but that picture ad is proof that they do seem to like to mislead patients.
the misuse of the word "medical school".....can that be sued for? or the word "residency"? that's almost along the lines of an DNP calling themselves doctor and proud of it, which is supposedly outlawed in some states.

i think the fight is only one of stepping over the bounds of physician identification terminology more than anything else, right? i dont think they actually practice on their own without supervision........???

Print.jpg

There is definitely some "fraud in the inducement" in this ad due to the buzzwords "medical school" and the proximity of the ad headline. As a reaonable person reading this ad would believe they were being treated by a physician or at least a physician in training (due to the supervising physician comment) and the blatant omission of the fact that she is not a physician. Well, I sure hope they don't get sued... :smuggrin:

that ad feels right now like a kick in the balls while you are in hte floor because they already did it one time. wow, medical school and everything.

Talk about sacrifice, time, energy etc of going to med school and now it seems anybody can go ahead and lie to the public!!! wow.

freaking crazy.

she has a supervising physician, so i dont see this as a threat to physicians, as she's not practicing independently and the physician allows her to help him/her, but that picture ad is proof that they do seem to like to mislead patients.
the misuse of the word "medical school".....can that be sued for? or the word "residency"? that's almost along the lines of an DNP calling themselves doctor and proud of it, which is supposedly outlawed in some states.

i think the fight is only one of stepping over the bounds of physician identification terminology more than anything else, right? i dont think they actually practice on their own without supervision........???

I see it clearly as a threat, that anybody can put up medical school in their resume/cv/job info etc and get away with it. I bet you 80% of people reading that see the med school section and believe she's a physician even though she has the NP letters after her name.

You know what's more worrisome, that she has a physician thats allowing that to happen.

back in the day: fake doctor = quack.....

maybe we should report this "foolery" to quackwatch.com or other such organizations.... to warn the public....

back in the day: fake doctor = quack.....

maybe we should report this "foolery" to quackwatch.com or other such organizations.... to warn the public....

I think it should be reported to the state medical board.

I think it should be reported to the state medical board.

I wholeheartedly agree. I also believe this should be reported to the FCC due to the misleading nature of the ad and their state attorney general's office. Sadly (and inevitably) because of all of this encroachment on our territory, we may soon find that M.D. will stand for nothing more than a quaint anachronism.

There is definitely some "fraud in the inducement" in this ad due to the buzzwords "medical school" and the proximity of the ad headline. As a reaonable person reading this ad would believe they were being treated by a physician or at least a physician in training (due to the supervising physician comment) and the blatant omission of the fact that she is not a physician. Well, I sure hope they don't get sued... :smuggrin:
It looks like the University of Iowa is referring to her supervising physician's medical school: http://www.mercycare.org/doctors/doctor-public-profile.aspx?id=5

But I agree, it does seem misleading for an NP to be listing a medical school that she clearly did not go to. Maybe someone could send an email to Dr. Harmon and let her know of the misleading ad? (I couldn't find an email address on her profile).

The advertisement states, "building a relationship with a doctor".
Shows her picture and name.
The first line under the nurse's name is, "Medical School".
If you go to their website, she is also listed under "Search for a Physician"...
Which further supports the claim of their deceptive advertising intent.

I asked my significant other to look at the advertisement. The impression was that this was an advertisement for a physician. After I explained the nuances, got irritated and asked, "well how would I be supposed to know that? I don't know what ARNP means and it says she went to medical school!"

Let's not even begin to pretend what the deceptive intent is of this advertisement. It really should be reported to the state medical board. It should be reported by every medical specialty society and formal letters of protest submitted.

Last edited:
This is nuts, this is like saying that just because a flight attendant has been doing his/her job for 20 years, that this qualifies them to train for 6 weeks and they can become a pilot.

No way jose!

O dear lord.

It's one thing to be an incredible kick in the balls for somebody to become a doctor with an online course after us having gone through a decade of sleepless nights, intense mental and often times physical labor, and countless personal sacrifices. Life is unfair, I get it.

It's entirely another for these people to claim the can work independently as cardiologists or in the NICU. At least an incompetent derm or FP usually has time to get help. People (and babies!) will die if nurses with this little training are allowed to practice independently in fields which REQUIRE the level of knowledge and training a decade worth of intense work provides.

Why this isn't obvious to everyone, I have no idea.

The training for physicians isn't so extensive because everything single thing a physician does is rocket science (everything a rocket scientist probably isn't "rocket science" either.....). If a zebra walks in the door I want a physician managing the case (especially if the zebra is deadly or sounds exactly like a non-zebra).

The IOM now supports creating residencies for nursing. Every medical specialty will be kissing the nurses' butts once they control primary care and the referral patterns. Now is the time to get involved.

IOM Report Says Nurses Need More Training, Independence

By Katherine Hobson

Nurses need increased training, more opportunity to assume leadership roles and an end to barriers that prevent them from practicing “to the full extent of their education and training,” says a new report from the Institute of Medicine.

The report, by the IOM’s Committee on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Initiative on the Future of Nursing, says the health-care overhaul legislation will increase demand for medical services as more people have insurance coverage — and that nurses will play a key role in meeting that demand. (The Association of American Medical Colleges recently said health-care overhaul legislation will exacerbate a projected shortage of physicians.)

The most controversial recommendations of the committee — which includes nurses, doctors, academics and other health industry participants and is chaired by former HHS head Donna Shalala — are likely to be those that deal with so-called “scope of practice,” i.e. the authority nurses have to order tests, prescribe medicine and perform other medical services. As Kaiser Health News writes, the report “calls for states and the federal government to remove barriers that restrict what care advanced practice nurses — those with a master’s degree — provide and includes many examples of nurses taking on bigger responsibilities.”

Advanced practice nurses include nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives and certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs). (The latter will be familiar to Health Blog readers — we’ve followed the heated debate about whether anesthesia services provided by a CRNA working independently of a physician should be reimbursed by Medicare. States can opt out of this requirement by petitioning CMS.)

This report says CMS should reimburse advanced practice nurses the same as a physician if the same care is being provided, and calls for the FTC to make sure scope of practice rules aren’t anti-competitive, KHN points out. Efforts to expand the scope of what a nurse can do are often met with pushback by physicians, who argue even advanced practice nurses don’t have the same education and training as doctors.

The IOM report also calls for the establishment of residency training programs for nurses, an increase in the percentage of nurses who get at least a bachelor’s degree to 80% by 2020 and an increase the number of nurses who obtain doctorates.​

[INDENT

This report says CMS should reimburse advanced practice nurses the same as a physician if the same care is being provided, and calls for the FTC to make sure scope of practice rules aren’t anti-competitive, KHN points out. Efforts to expand the scope of what a nurse can do are often met with pushback by physicians, who argue even advanced practice nurses don’t have the same education and training as doctors.

INDENT]

WOW!!!! its so freaking funny, efforts to expand the scope of practice by nurses are often met with pushback from physicians who ARGUE even advance practices nurses dont have the same education and training as doctors. IS NOT AN ARGUMENT is a true statement. I wouldnt ever try to do a nurses job because i was not trained for that why then would a nurse wnat to do a physician job when they were not trained for that. Sure they got a class here and there about something regarding med school but to say equally trained is painful to read, I feel bad for the patients.

The level of vitriol on this message board is pretty astonishing. Yes, traditionally there have been no residencies for NPs but there have been for PAs. Why is it ok for PAs and not NPs? The NPs I know tell me that if an NP graduates and wants further training there really is not much available at the moment. Even if an NP did a residency in dermatology, they wouldn't hold themselves out as a dermatologist.

The new DNP may seem confusing because the term doctor is in it... but doctor is a term is used for PHDs throughout the world. Why is it so threatening for a nurse practitioner to have a PHD? It definitely would be fraud for NPs to misrepresent themselves as MDs or DOs. There are now clinical doctorates in many fields. The terminal degree for physical therapists is now a PHD. Perhaps it would be less threatening if the DNP was called something else?

NPs need to work with an overseeing doctor in most states. They rely on doctors to agree to oversee their practice and help manage more difficult cases. Without physicians most NPs would not be able to practice. Most NPs are happy to work in collaboration and have no delusions that they are an MD.

In terms of equal billing, if you have an NP working for you in your private practice do you want them to be able to bill at 100% or just the current 80%? It is your practice so by having them bill at a lower rate, you are losing money.

Why does there have to be so much angst between the different professions? What is so threatening?

The level of vitriol on this message board is pretty astonishing. Yes, traditionally there have been no residencies for NPs but there have been for PAs. Why is it ok for PAs and not NPs? The NPs I know tell me that if an NP graduates and wants further training there really is not much available at the moment. Even if an NP did a residency in dermatology, they wouldn't hold themselves out as a dermatologist.

naominova,

you may practice differently and behave differently than some of your colleagues.

Perhaps you have not read all 19 pages of this thread.

But some of your less forthcoming colleagues *do* attempt to deceive patients, do not correct them when called "Doctor" and have been heard, on more than one occasion, telling colleagues, family members and patients that they know more than doctors. They can and *do* hold themselves out as qualified as physicians. This thread was started because a DNP presented herself using the term Doctor (while, yes given that many terminal degrees are doctoral degrees, is technically correct but when used in the medical setting, obfuscates the situation and the person in question was, in the minds of many, including laypersons, attempting to conceal the fact that she was not a physician but rather a nurse), and a residency program director in Dermatology. Many of us have seen and heard it in our own training and practices. And its not just nurses: I've heard radiology techs refer to themselves as radiologists, physician assistants allow patients to call them Dr., etc. Everyone wants to be at the top of the heap, to be the most respected. Its human nature.

NPs need to work with an overseeing doctor in most states. They rely on doctors to agree to oversee their practice and help manage more difficult cases. Without physicians most NPs would not be able to practice. Most NPs are happy to work in collaboration and have no delusions that they are an MD.

That is true. *Most* NPs are collegial and recognize their role in health care. But there is a very vocal minority, including Mary Mundinger, who state that they are better than physicians, deserve the same practice rights and privileges as physicians and make a living mocking MD/DO training. It is not the majority of hard working NPs that we are frustrated with; it is your colleages who don't know what they don't know and don't have someone oversee their work, refuse to take accountability for mistakes, want more responsiblity and practice rights without the malpractice rates and other things that go along with it.

I've worked with some fabulous NPs during my career but when it came time to choose a midlevel for our office we went with a PA because of all the political posturing of some of your colleagues. I cannot defend a profession when its leadership claims that physicians are unnecessary and that they are better trained than most physicians, and can do the same job without the same training.

That doesn't mean that most NPs feel that way; I know plenty, including many here on SDN, who feel that the DNP isn't a favorable move. But you have to recognize that you have leadership who think it is and that one of the ways to get there is to derogate physicians. We've spent our lives dedicating our time, our bodies and sacrificing those things, as well as time for family, friends, etc. only to be told that we are less worthy than someone who spent thousands of hours less in training. Hell yeah, that's threatening.

Why does there have to be so much angst between the different professions? What is so threatening?

I'm not sure there *has* to be such angst, but I understand the threat. When someone with many thousands of hours of less training posits themselves just as, if not more qualified to do your job, it will be perceived as a threat - whether by a physician, dentist, school teacher or seamstress.

Last edited:

The new DNP may seem confusing because the term doctor is in it... but doctor is a term is used for PHDs throughout the world. Why is it so threatening for a nurse practitioner to have a PHD? It definitely would be fraud for NPs to misrepresent themselves as MDs or DOs. There are now clinical doctorates in many fields. The terminal degree for physical therapists is now a PHD. Perhaps it would be less threatening if the DNP was called something else?

DNP =/= PhD, at all. The terminal degree for a physical therapist is DPT which, also, =/= PhD.

In terms of equal billing, if you have an NP working for you in your private practice do you want them to be able to bill at 100% or just the current 80%? It is your practice so by having them bill at a lower rate, you are losing money.

I read with amusement the recent allnurses thread that NP's actually believed these anti-DNP sentiments were just med students or residents venting. Hello!? These med students or residents eventually become attendings. I've been in medicine long enough and talked to enough med students, residents, and attendings to know that these feelings are much more pervasive than the NP's realize. Actually, the feelings are much stronger from attendings and senior residents than med students and junior residents who are often clueless about these issues. NP's need to realize that just because the attending or resident is professional or cracks jokes with you doesn't mean that they actually respect your clinical opinion as they would a physician's. What they say to your face is far different than what they say behind closed doors to other physicians. Physicians in general have a poor opinion of the abilities of NP's. Sure, you have an occasional superstar NP who shines brightly, but far more often you get an NP who you would never want to take care of your family member. Whenever I'm talking to a clinician, it's not very hard for me to tell who's a physician vs. NP, even without reading their nametags. Actually, whenever I tell other physicians about the DNP and that DNP's think that they are equivalent to physicians, the typical response is laughter and shock. I wish it was just a bad joke too but sadly it's the unwitting public who will pay the price and get hurt by the DNP's.

If the NP's think that the anti-DNP view is simply from a minority group of SDNers, then why did this law pass in Pennsylvania? Why are other states pursuing similar laws? Is it because it's a sentiment shared by more people than NP's think?

pprsb1220a.jpg

New Pennsylvania law requires physicians to wear photo IDs
States are working to guarantee that patients know whom they are seeing and are not deceived by health professionals who misrepresent their training.

By Carolyne Krupa, amednews staff. Posted Dec. 20, 2010.

A new Pennsylvania law aims to make it clear for patients who is taking their blood pressure, giving them an injection or preparing to operate on a loved one.​

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the hospitals I have privileges at did the same thing: my badge looks like:

Winged Scapula MD
General Surgery

DOCTOR

Seriously the font is ridiculously large, but you can see it (if not the name) across the room.

One of the hospitals I have privileges at did the same thing: my badge looks like:

Winged Scapula MD
General Surgery

DOCTOR

Seriously the font is ridiculously large, but you can see it (if not the name) across the room.

I could have used that a couple of days ago. Despite wearing a white coat and nametag, dress shirt and pants, and introducing myself to the patient and every family member in the room as the doctor, the family was asking for administration because no doctor had ever seen the patient. After a couple of minutes with the nurse, they finally realized they thought I was a tech (their uniform is maroon scrubs).

It probably didn't help that there was a respiratory therapist wandering around the ED wearing a calf length white coat that was closed so you couldn't see that he was wearing the mandatory green RT scrubs. But that's a different topic...

It probably didn't help that there was a respiratory therapist wandering around the ED wearing a calf length white coat that was closed so you couldn't see that he was wearing the mandatory green RT scrubs. But that's a different topic...

Aside from the name tags mentioned above, which are a good idea, the best way to distinguish yourself as a physician is probably to NOT wear a white coat. Now that the nursing students are wearing them, it's only a matter of time before the custodial staff and security guards want in on the action.

Agree with Winged Scapula on this one.
Hadn't waded into this debate so far.

I don't think residencies for NP's per se are the problem. Pharmacists have residency now. Probably podiatrists and others do too, right?

Honestly, I've enjoyed working with most of the NP's I've worked with. For example, cardiology and CT surgical inpatient services both employ an NP. They provide continuity of care (as opposed to residents and fellows rotating on and off service monthly) and help with coordinating/getting consent forms signed, H and P's done, etc. I do feel that some NP's do want to usurp the role of a physician or say that they have the same training, which is not true. There are also things nurses have training in that I don't have (such as knowing about compatibility of different IV meds, sometimes more training in certain aspects of patient and family education, etc.).

I think that if you look at that ad posted above, I think it definitely falls into the arena or what you'd call misleading advertising. I think most laypeople/nonmedical folks would think that this person is a physician, not an advanced practice nurse. I don't think there is anything wrong with being an advanced practice nurse, any more than there is something wrong with being a pharmacist, physical therapist or physician. There does seem to be something fundamentally wrong about trying to practice medicine without going to medical school and residency, and trying to pass oneself off as something one is not. I do think that if you look at some of these ads, and at some of the things the NP lobbyists and leaders say, that IS what they are lobbying to do. The ad should clearly state that she is an advanced practice nurse, seeing patients in coordination with dr so-and-so. Instead, the ad makes it look like she's a physician trained at the university of Iowa. In fact, I'm even confused about whether she got her DNP from Iowa, did her residency at U of Iowa University Hospital, etc.

Actually NP's have a lot of potentially important roles to fill in the health care system without needing/trying to be physicians. For example, I think there is a lot of patient counseling and followup that needs to be done in areas like inpatient and outpatient diabetes counseling, inpatient rounding on surgical services in the hospital (who is going to manage all those chest tubes while the CT surgeons are in the OR, and make sure the patient and family understand how to take all the meds, when to come for f/u appointments, etc. particularly with new residency work hour limits?).

As far as dermatology, I think the dermatologists sort of shot themselves in the foot in some ways by limiting the residency spots so much...now you have fp's, internists and now NP's trying to pass themselves off as dermatologists. I think an NP in a derm's office, helping with followup patients, etc. could be very appropriate. There is a lot of dermatology that is patient f/u and counseling (? is the patient appropriately using his psoriasis meds or using the stuff PRN like I found out my dad was doing when I talked to him about it recently). However, it is not right for a DNP to be passing himself/herself off as a physician dermatologist, because that is quite different training than a few months or 1 year derm NP residency.

If we are going to just pay NP's the same as physicians, we should just open up a lot more derm and cardiology residencies for internal medicine trained docs who want to do them. There are always way more qualified cardiology fellowship applicants than the number of fellowship spots.

I have to say that NP's or PA's trying to pass themselves off as doctors doesn't seem to be a problem at my hospital, though. And nobody has redone our name tags, either...LOL. Actually, it seems like there are more respiratory therapists and some others who may want to do so. I do think the public gets it that everybody wears white coats now, and many don't assume that white coat = doctor, though a few still do.