What now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Blooded

Reaction score
Hello-

I have a serious dilemma. I have finally, yes finally passed Step 3, lost my residency.... I feel like I'll hear crickets if I ask, has anyone experienced this. But considering I believe I'm in a safe space, I'll ask- has ANYONE experienced this??? I'm in complete limbo. Can I apply for a license? I haven't practiced in 2 years and due to Covid- no one was taking volunteers to continue clinical practice. So what am I to do with 2 years of residency, a passed Step 3, no job, no immediate clinical experience and a half a million in the hole. I truly apologize for the depressing tone but...you know what it is...... Has anyone applied for an initial full license while not currently in residency or without the 2 years of immediate clinical experience most states require? Please share your outcome.

Thank you for any advice.

-Cold Blooded.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You might look at the General Residency forum. There have been people that have experienced similar issues and you can certainly ask there. You're likely to get a response compared to here which has less viewers.

You might look at the General Residency forum. There have been people that have experienced similar issues and you can certainly ask there. You're likely to get a response compared to here which has less viewers.
Thank you.

Hello-

I have a serious dilemma. I have finally, yes finally passed Step 3, lost my residency.... I feel like I'll hear crickets if I ask, has anyone experienced this. But considering I believe I'm in a safe space, I'll ask- has ANYONE experienced this??? I'm in complete limbo. Can I apply for a license? I haven't practiced in 2 years and due to Covid- no one was taking volunteers to continue clinical practice. So what am I to do with 2 years of residency, a passed Step 3, no job, no immediate clinical experience and a half a million in the hole. I truly apologize for the depressing tone but...you know what it is...... Has anyone applied for an initial full license while not currently in residency or without the 2 years of immediate clinical experience most states require? Please share your outcome.

-Cold Blooded.

What part of the country are you in? In some states, you can still get a medical license having completed a pgy1 year, and having passed all of your steps. You could then possibly work an urgent care, or some other low acuity job.

Maybe consulting job of some sort?
I like that idea, but unsure how to start. Right now, I'm so focused on obtaining the "initial medical license" so I can at least work Urgent Care until I'm picked up by another program. Thank you.

What part of the country are you in? In some states, you can still get a medical license having completed a pgy1 year, and having passed all of your steps. You could then possibly work an urgent care, or some other low acuity job.
I apologize, maybe I'm miss communicating. I would have been promoted to PGY3 but had not passed Step 3. I'm aware that some programs allow you to finish the residency without Step 3. My program doesn't allow you to do so. So I have 2 years of experience. Took time to pass step 3, finally passed, now attempting to find others that have applied for state boards license without currently being in a program or immediate clinical experience.

Hello-

-Cold Blooded.

Did you lose your residency because of the step 3 issue? Did you try to reapply in the past? I think you can still apply for a license. I would suggest something like occupational med residency. You can do for income if you get a license something like the social security exams.

Reactions: 2 users
I apologize, maybe I'm miss communicating. I would have been promoted to PGY3 but had not passed Step 3. I'm aware that some programs allow you to finish the residency without Step 3. My program doesn't allow you to do so. So I have 2 years of experience. Took time to pass step 3, finally passed, now attempting to find others that have applied for state boards license without currently being in a program or immediate clinical experience.

Any way your residency might consider letting you go back?

Did you lose your residency because of the step 3 issue? Did you try to reapply in the past? I think you can still apply for a license. I would suggest something like occupational med residency. You can do for income if you get a license something like the social security exams.
Yes, I lost my position because of not passing step 3. I was so depressed about the situation I couldn't bounce back quick enough to regroup and pass. Now that I've passed wondering if the lack of immediate clinical experience will hurt my changes of being approved for an initial license. Several jobs require a state medical board license, which I'm hoping to do in the interim between now and a new residency. Thank you for responding.

Yes, I lost my position because of not passing step 3. I was so depressed about the situation I couldn't bounce back quick enough to regroup and pass. Now that I've passed wondering if the lack of immediate clinical experience will hurt my changes of being approved for an initial license. Several jobs require a state medical board license, which I'm hoping to do in the interim between now and a new residency. Thank you for responding.

Have you reached out to your old PD to ask if they would support you in a future application to residency?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
That's cold and unnecessarily punitive, I'msorry that happened to you. I don't think anyone should ever lose a position in residency over something as meaningless as step 3. I would imagine that if you are an AMG you can still find a spot. You'd prob have to start over. There are some places on Indeed that do offer residency positions - I would start there. I would also get your app. ready for application again and I would suggest getting in touch with your PD.

Reactions: 2 users
Aim higher. Go get a license in whatever state will grant it. Then go open your own primary care GP cash only practice. In 5 years from now you'll likely be quite happy/content with your life and breath easier knowing you aren't running the usual gauntlet of insurance, hospital politics, etc

• Love
Aim higher. Go get a license in whatever state will grant it. Then go open your own primary care GP cash only practice. In 5 years from now you'll likely be quite happy/content with your life and breath easier knowing you aren't running the usual gauntlet of insurance, hospital politics, etc

Not that easy to attract patients

I'm a BC psychiatrist in a saturated area. We all got to fight for a living. It's doable. Can't just rent an office and expect patients to show up but put some thought and effort in to it, the ability to match resident salary at minimum is quite doable. Building up to meet or exceed "expected" attending pay at usual Big Box shop will take a bit more time.

Just remember, if every DC, ND, and ARNP on the corner is some how mustering up patients a full fledged MD/DO should be able to make it work, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you reached out to your old PD to ask if they would support you in a future application to residency?
yes, they support moving forward with application season. I thank you but that's not my issue. I need assistance with applying for initial license.

yes, they support moving forward with application season. I thank you but that's not my issue. I need assistance with applying for initial license.
I’m not sure what help you need. Someone to fill out the application for you?

Pick a state, apply, see what happens.

Reactions: 8 users
You should be able to apply for a medical license. a 2 year gap isn't usually a big problem. Mush will depend upon the state and your background -- some states require more than 2 years of clinical training, especially for IMG's. But if you meet the minimum criteria you should be able to get a license.

Getting back into residency is difficult but possible. Agree with the prior poster that your first call should be to your old program. If that's not possible, then looking for open spots. Much depends on the field you were in. If FM, then you'd need to restart as a PGY-2 as the ABFM requires the last two years to be in the same program. In IM, you would also likely need to start as a PGY-2 - although there's no rule, most programs won't take you as a PGY-3. Plus, I expect your skills may be rusty, best to start in a program that lets you ramp up.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
You should be able to apply for a medical license. a 2 year gap isn't usually a big problem. Mush will depend upon the state and your background -- some states require more than 2 years of clinical training, especially for IMG's. But if you meet the minimum criteria you should be able to get a license.

Getting back into residency is difficult but possible. Agree with the prior poster that your first call should be to your old program. If that's not possible, then looking for open spots. Much depends on the field you were in. If FM, then you'd need to restart as a PGY-2 as the ABFM requires the last two years to be in the same program. In IM, you would also likely need to start as a PGY-2 - although there's no rule, most programs won't take you as a PGY-3. Plus, I expect your skills may be rusty, best to start in a program that lets you ramp up.
Fabulous! Thank you for responding. Appreciate it!

I’m not sure what help you need. Someone to fill out the application for you?

Pick a state, apply, see what happens.
No need to be rude. I just thought this was a system that offers advice and I would possibly find someone in the same predicament. Take care.

No need to be rude. I just thought this was a system that offers advice and I would possibly find someone in the same predicament. Take care.
I wasn't being rude. You don't need help, you just need to apply. That was the most honest and straightforward answer to your question.

Reactions: 9 users
Anecdote with N=1.

A resident left his program with just under 2 years completed. Worked in non-healthcare related field for 1.5 years then applied for NC medical license. Had to meet with the medical board and they required the applicant take a competency exam because he had been away from medicine for too long and never completed his residency. The exam would have cost between $10-$20k. That wasn't feasible so the applicant applied for a VA license. It was granted in 3 days.

Like gutonc said, just apply and see what happens. If you get a bad feeling, withdraw your application before it's denied. You don't want a license denial on your record.

I wasn't being rude. You don't need help, you just need to apply. That was the most honest and straightforward answer to your question.
I wholeheartedly agree with GutOnc. Your work is kind of cut out for you and it just seems like you’re just putting off living it. You just need to take action. Have you gotten your depression fully treated? People often deny how truly depressed until they are see a therapist and realize how much better it makes them feel and that allows them to get back up and start living their life.

I’m not sure why you’re not applying to residency this cycle? Just start over and pick a short residency. I know it seems absurd to subject yourself to that but tbh you did a bit of this to yourself (I know you were depressed) by not jumping on the wagon again immediately talking Step 3 and reapplying. The first call like others said should be at your old program so they can write a letter of strong support so programs know the only issue was Step 3. If you apply broadly enough, you’ll get interviews and likely match somewhere. If you have a lot going for you (two years of residency, US MD, etc.) some places may even bend their posted rules.

In the meantime start working on a back up plan. Apply for your full license. Once you get that apply to Signify to do insurance evals (they pay 1-4K/week locums) to keep food on the table. If you get your license but then get rejected from residency, come talk to us about what options are then.

Anecdote with N=1.

A resident left his program with just under 2 years completed. Worked in non-healthcare related field for 1.5 years then applied for NC medical license. Had to meet with the medical board and they required the applicant take a competency exam because he had been away from medicine for too long and never completed his residency. The exam would have cost between $10-$20k. That wasn't feasible so the applicant applied for a VA license. It was granted in 3 days.

Like gutonc said, just apply and see what happens. If you get a bad feeling, withdraw your application before it's denied. You don't want a license denial on your record.
What is a "VA license" - do you mean Virginia, or Veteran's Administration? If it was Virginia, what is so strikingly different between two bordering states?

And if it is Veteran's Administration, that doesn't make sense, because they don't have a specific license; your just need a license issued by any state or jurisdiction.

What is a "VA license" - do you mean Virginia, or Veteran's Administration? If it was Virginia, what is so strikingly different between two bordering states?

And if it is Veteran's Administration, that doesn't make sense, because they don't have a specific license; your just need a license issued by any state or jurisdiction.
There are lots of striking differences between neighboring states when it comes to medical licensing issues. It’s not that unusual.

Reactions: 4 users

Yes, VA = Virginia. No idea why they are so different. I've heard that NC is not a very friendly medical board but that's just second-hand information (but from multiple sources).

Yes, VA = Virginia. No idea why they are so different. I've heard that NC is not a very friendly medical board but that's just second-hand information (but from multiple sources).

I would agree on the NC thing. I thought about working in NC and took a look at their app, it is beyond absurd. Needless to say, I decided to go elsewhere.

Yeah, I have both Va and NC licenses and Va was pretty straightforward and took about 4 weeks…NC took months…and they require FCVS and still take longer!

Yeah, I have both Va and NC licenses and Va was pretty straightforward and took about 4 weeks…NC took months…and they require FCVS and still take longer!

Huh. I got licensed in NC in 2018 and didn't have to do FCVS. The NCMB website still doesn't mention anything about requiring FCVS.

Compared to Texas it was way short.

Huh. I got licensed in NC in 2018 and didn't have to do FCVS. The NCMB website still doesn't mention anything about requiring FCVS.

Compared to Texas it was way short.
The NC board website says you have to use FCVS unless you meet criteria for expedited - basically board certified, at least 2 years of practice, and licensed in another state.

2018 may have been different or you might have qualified for expedited.

The NC board website says you have to use FCVS unless you meet criteria for expedited - basically board certified, at least 2 years of practice, and licensed in another state.

2018 may have been different or you might have qualified for expedited.

I don't see anything stating FCVS is mandatory. I definitely didn't apply for expedited back then and didn't meet any of those criteria you mentioned.

lol, feel like i'm taking crazy pills.

Well now I do. I'm not reading now what I read before. I think I agree with you but am definitely confused.
Wow, NC has a pretty f***ed up system. It appears there are 3 tiers.

1. Regular - appears to apply to new/recent AMG/DO/Canuck grads. Typical licensing process.
2. Expedited - For previously licensed physicians who are:
a. Board certified​
b. Licensed somewhere else for 5 years​
c. Working at least 20h/wk for the past 2 years​
3. IMGs and those with active FCVS profiles, regardless of the above

Doesn't really say anything about the differences in those tiers in terms of timeline, and the fees are all the same.

Lol, I wonder if the NC Medical Board has any idea their website can be misinterpreted so much. They probably have more people apply FCVS than actually need to.

Lol, I wonder if the NC Medical Board has any idea their website can be misinterpreted so much. They probably have more people apply FCVS than actually need to.
FSMB/FCVS probably wrote the entries for the NC Medical Board. It's a money grab. Even the FSMB/FCVS website indicates NC requires FCVS for medical licensing.
1624118306091.png

Yet below that...
1624118368501.png

• Haha
Still feels like i'm taking crazy pills...

The NCMB website and FCVS website both say if you ALREADY have a FCVS profile that you have to go through them to apply for an NCMB license.

Neither website says you have to sign-up for a FCVS account in order to apply for a NCMB license.

Last edited:
Still feels like i'm taking crazy pills...

The NCMB website and FCVS website both say if you ALREADY have a FCVS profile that you have to go through them to apply for an NCMB license.

Neither website says you have to sign-up for a FCVS account in order to apply for a NCMB license.
Those statements are both internally consistent, and true. They're insane, but true.

Not an IMG and don't have an FCVS profile? Apply the standard (or potentially expedited) pathway.
Are an IMG OR already set up your FCVS profile? Well then, FCVS for you pal.

Those statements are both internally consistent, and true. They're insane, but true.

Not an IMG and don't have an FCVS profile? Apply the standard (or potentially expedited) pathway.
Are an IMG OR already set up your FCVS profile? Well then, FCVS for you pal.

Yeah so basically, applied to some other state using FCVS? Looks like you're using FCVS for us to!

It's super odd, basically using FCVS is partially contingent on HAVING an FCVS profile...it's like saying "well you don't have to apply using this application unless of course you've filled out this application before for a different job...then you HAVE to use this application".

Thank you.