NPO for OB pts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does your OB Dept offer to laboring moms?

What’s your facilities policy? Are they allowed meals at will?
What if they have an epidural? Does it change?
Are VBAC’s treated differently?
What about someone with non reassuring FHT’s?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone eats. Almost no exceptions.
Midwife will go collect food for the patient while I'm placing the epidural in the non-reassuring CTG that is likely going for a Cat 2 section in 30 minutes time. She'll do this when I'm placing the epidural because I'm there; as a doctor I can sign off the ondansetron she's going to give STAT because the patient is actively vomiting.

It's literally so dumb.

Reactions: 1 user
Patients can eat if tracing is reassuring, prior to an epidural. After epidural is placed, clears only. Non-reassuring tracing is npo, but will get at least clears, if not a 5 course meal, from the nurse the absolute second the tracing looks OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
My hospital is no solid food after epidural.

Reactions: 1 users
i hate OB .... that’s all i have to say

Reactions: 4 users
Clears after formal induction (pitocin hanging), but that doesn’t stop Daddy from bringing in a double-decker from Hardee’s and the nurses looking the other way :rolleyes:

I do have a “fond” memory in residency of some G7 or so patient chowing her second Chipotle burrito while I was putting in the epidural, and periodically telling me to “hurry the F up” so she could go back to watching Wendy Williams. Our L&D in residency was a crap hole.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users