Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone I just wanted to update you all. I got the call on June 1 asking if I'm still interested but since then I got into a school closer to home so I was going to withdraw NSUCOM if they took me...anyway they just called to accept me. So about 10 days from the first call. Hope you all get in where you want! Best of luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Still holding on to some hope for a waitlist push...the waitlist can't be that long can it?! They only interviewed ~450 this cycle.

Can any current students please clarify something. Accepted students have not received tentative schedules for next year yet, but I understand that we have summer semesters. Have any current students found it difficult to do other things, such as research, volunteering, or other activities that might bolster their credentials as applicants for residency? I know that many students take the time to do these things during the summers, but considering that we'll have classes, I'm not sure if that will be difficult to do. More importantly, does this affect us between second and their year when studying for boards? Or does Nova provide time and resources for board prep? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
is there much waitlist movement this year? Or is there a particular time when the waitlist starts moving more?

is there much waitlist movement this year? Or is there a particular time when the waitlist starts moving more?
I just got accepted off the waitlist yesterday after receiving a call from admissions 8 days ago confirming my continued interest. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current students please clarify something. Accepted students have not received tentative schedules for next year yet, but I understand that we have summer semesters. Have any current students found it difficult to do other things, such as research, volunteering, or other activities that might bolster their credentials as applicants for residency? I know that many students take the time to do these things during the summers, but considering that we'll have classes, I'm not sure if that will be difficult to do. More importantly, does this affect us between second and their year when studying for boards? Or does Nova provide time and resources for board prep? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You have summer classes after M1 year only. The summer after M2 year is dedicated board prep time for Level/Step 1. You also get time off during the summer after M3 year for Level/Step 2. It's been a while for me but they used to provide DIT (doctors in training) and First Aid books. If you have good class reps you can also get big discounts on question banks and other resources.

Many students do research, volunteering, leadership activities, tutoring jobs during the year and do just fine. I recommend taking the first semester of M1 year to get used to the workload and then adding other activities if you feel like you can handle it. Just remember that classes/boards should always be priority!

Reactions: 1 users
Would someone in the duel medicine and Dentistry degree be able to give me some insight into the program? I wasn't even aware of it until I went to fill out my secondary application for this next coming year.. if someone who's in the program would be able to message me to talk about timelines boards and residency that'd be great, thanks

Does anyone know when we get our financial aid refunds? Heard from someone that it's around 1 week after classes but then also heard rumors it's 2 weeks before orientation? If any current students could answer the questions that would be much appreciated.

hi all, I am somehow incapable of finding the FB group for the osteopathic class of 2021. can someone send me a link? Also, I'm still looking for housing nearby campus with other male roommates. Let me know if any of you are still looking.

hi all, I am somehow incapable of finding the FB group for the osteopathic class of 2021. can someone send me a link? Also, I'm still looking for housing nearby campus with other male roommates. Let me know if any of you are still looking.

This is the FB group:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/953715721330879

There's a lot of people looking for roommates in there (there should also be a "roommate search" spreadsheet post pinned at the top of the page). There's also other general NSU roomie search groups.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing my acceptance from here, hope it goes to one of you folks!

Hello! Congrats to those who have been accepted!! I am looking to replace my spot in a 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment at AMLI Toscana. Rent+utlities is around $700. Message me if interested! Females only.

Hey everyone I hope you're doing well! I was recently accepted to NSU-COM and made an account so I could share some info to maybe help alleviate some stress. I stalked these forums for some time and thought I should give back somehow.

I applied super early- whenever the earliest date to submit the secondary was.
I applied with a 3.3 undergrad GPA, 3.25 science GPA, 3.85 grad GPA, 26 MCAT (7 PS, 9 BS, 10 VR)- I think that's a 501 on the new one?
I was placed on the Alternate Candidate list whenever that went out in the mail- September/October?
I was given an II on January 23rd.
I interviewed in March and was Wait Listed exactly a month later.
I came off the Wait List Thursday 6/29 (yeah, 2 days ago)
I sent update letters every 2 weeks, sent in a letter of intent, updated transcripts, basically anything I could say to show I was doing medical related activities and how eager I was to join the incoming class.
I've heard they have a smaller pool of interviewed students than other schools so don't give up on the Wait List. And based on last year's thread students were getting in in July as well- so keep sending update emails and letters as much as you can without sounding too desperate!

I hope this info helps some of you still on the Wait List- keep chugging!!! Good luck to everyone :)

Hey everyone I hope you're doing well! I was recently accepted to NSU-COM and made an account so I could share some info to maybe help alleviate some stress. I stalked these forums for some time and thought I should give back somehow.

I applied super early- whenever the earliest date to submit the secondary was.
I applied with a 3.3 undergrad GPA, 3.25 science GPA, 3.85 grad GPA, 26 MCAT (7 PS, 9 BS, 10 VR)- I think that's a 501 on the new one?
I was placed on the Alternate Candidate list whenever that went out in the mail- September/October?
I was given an II on January 23rd.
I interviewed in March and was Wait Listed exactly a month later.
I came off the Wait List Thursday 6/29 (yeah, 2 days ago)
I sent update letters every 2 weeks, sent in a letter of intent, updated transcripts, basically anything I could say to show I was doing medical related activities and how eager I was to join the incoming class.
I've heard they have a smaller pool of interviewed students than other schools so don't give up on the Wait List. And based on last year's thread students were getting in in July as well- so keep sending update emails and letters as much as you can without sounding too desperate!

I hope this info helps some of you still on the Wait List- keep chugging!!! Good luck to everyone :)
Did they email you about continued interest on the waitlist or are they just sending out offers now?

Did they email you about continued interest on the waitlist or are they just sending out offers now?
They actually called me a few days before accepting me asking if I was still interested in a spot! I believe they do that phone call first and then you get the acceptance email later on.

Congratulations and god help you all. This will be the best and worst experience of your life.

i know some people wear hoodies over their blue scrub tops but does anyone know if its ok to wear a t shirt under the scrubs?

Just got the phone call if I wanted to stay on the waitlist. Fingers crossed!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else having a hell of a time finding a decent place to live in Davie? This is ridiculous

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone address the kits we have to own? Can't I just piece it together instead of dropping $600+ for fancy stuff with my name carved on it?

Anyone else having a hell of a time finding a decent place to live in Davie? This is ridiculous

I drove from Jacksonville and looked at 15 places over a weekend. FIFTEEN. I settled on a place called "New River Cove" because it was the only place that wouldn't cost me and arm and a leg and/or wasn't smaller than a utility closet.

Can anyone address the kits we have to own? Can't I just piece it together instead of dropping $600+ for fancy stuff with my name carved on it?

I just bought everything off Amazon for less than $200. None of it is name brand, but should be sufficient for my needs.

I just bought everything off Amazon for less than $200. None of it is name brand, but should be sufficient for my needs.
Nice, I got a full kit with cardiology stethoscope from a graduated student for $400. Really grateful for that.

Hey guys, I apologize if this was already addressed in this thread...for the secondary application question they ask for a list of all "health-related volunteer activities since high school"

I have 3 questions about that
1- If some of the activities are already included in your primary application, did you just re-summarize the details of the experience?
2- Did you include physician shadowing?
3- What about the activities did you include? I have put the title, number of hours, dates, brief description, and a supervisor contact.

Thank you in advance!

Hoping for y'all to get good news this week... and if that is the case message me cause i need roommates/housing :D

Hoping for y'all to get good news this week... and if that is the case message me cause i need roommates/housing :D
Is there still graduate housing available? I'd be moving from the Midwest so I'd have no time to find housing this late...

Is there still graduate housing available? I'd be moving from the Midwest so I'd have no time to find housing this late...
I'm not sure, but I remember someone of the FB group saying that they were put on a waitlist for housing even though they had applied for it months ago. I would call housing and check the availability of those units.

You may be able to find a last minute roommate through FB, there's some talk about it in the NSUCOM 2021 group, and I believe there is a NSU "roommate search" FB group for the general NSU population (just avoid partying undergrads if you need to study).

Hey guys, I apologize if this was already addressed in this thread...for the secondary application question they ask for a list of all "health-related volunteer activities since high school"

What about the activities did you include? I have put the title, number of hours, dates, brief description, and a supervisor contact.

Thank you in advance!
Anyone at all have any insight into this? lol

I'm not sure, but I remember someone of the FB group saying that they were put on a waitlist for housing even though they had applied for it months ago. I would call housing and check the availability of those units.

You may be able to find a last minute roommate through FB, there's some talk about it in the NSUCOM 2021 group, and I believe there is a NSU "roommate search" FB group for the general NSU population (just avoid partying undergrads if you need to study).
Yea I've seen a few people still looking for a roommate but one thing at a time I guess. I hope Marleyn wasn't teasing me when she called me lol.

I emailed Marleyn yesterday and she said she expects some more movement before orientation...

Hope to see all who have been accepted on the 31st

Last edited:
Nope, I didn't even get an interview last year and I went to UG + lived in Broward my whole life. I ended up at my 2nd choice though.
Glad you get accepted. Did you find out why no II from NOVA even though you stat were good.

Glad you get accepted. Did you find out why no II from NOVA even though you stat were good.
Nope, but I think it had to do with sending my secondary in late + not really following up with them in person. Almost all of their own UG who got accepted that were not duals talked to the admissions counselors in person and were supplying updates from anything from class grades, research, volunteering etc. They love seeing applicants showing a lot of interest in their school and making an effort to show that they really want to attend. I think that being so close to campus and not being very proactive with them might have hurt me. But hey, you never know who looks at your application. Maybe the particular adcom that saw my app just didn't like me haha.