Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my seat here today :( It was a tough decision but I've decided to stay closer to home. Good luck to everyone still waiting, hope my seat goes to you!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone order their white coat, I mean "consultation coat", yet? Wondering what size I should get. I'm about 5'8 and 130lb (female). Any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user
So anyone got any updates? The waitlist should start to move next week right? This waiting game sucks :((

Do they specify what size/capacity iPad we need during the acceptance process? And how much do we depend on those vs conventional laptops?

Do they specify what size/capacity iPad we need during the acceptance process? And how much do we depend on those vs conventional laptops?
I'm an incoming student, but from what I understand it has to be able to run ExamSoft, but if you don't want to use it for anything else then that's fine. Right now an iPad 2 is the minimum. Everyone says don't get a mini, because you'll hate taking exams on a tiny screen. If you have the funds, get a pro, otherwise get a used older one and make it your dedicated exam ipad. I personally just bought a MacBook last year so I was pretty mad I didn't know about this policy before hand, but what can ya do?

Reactions: 1 users
Are you sure this is a correct email? who does it go to?
Yes I called them and that's the one they gave me. I had another letter of rec sent through that email and it shows up on my portal now. I also sent my letter of intent to Dave Buchanan and he said he received it but that doesn't show on the portal.

Does anyone know where most medical students here live/options for housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I called them and that's the one they gave me. I had another letter of rec sent through that email and it shows up on my portal now. I also sent my letter of intent to Dave Buchanan and he said he received it but that doesn't show on the portal.

I also sent my LOI to Buchanan.

Does anyone know where most medical students here live/options for housing?

Most seem to live in apartment complexes around campus (in the Davie/Plantation/Ft Lauderdale area). NSU-COM has a real estate agent that can help you find a place. There's also a lot of discussion on housing/roommates on the FB group page.

HI Guys, I have one question. I will be moving from Midwest and I applied for campus housing. Do you think I can avoid having a car next two years (I am assuming I will definitely need to buy a car during my clinical years).

HI Guys, I have one question. I will be moving from Midwest and I applied for campus housing. Do you think I can avoid having a car next two years (I am assuming I will definitely need to buy a car during my clinical years).

Will you be living close enough to walk?

As someone who was born and raised in the area, the simple answer to your question is technically yes but realistically no. Technically yes you'll be fine without a car if you live close enough to walk to campus. Realistically though, you're not going anywhere in south Florida without a car.

Most of south Florida is suburbia so services like Uber aren't plentiful outside of the downtown/beach/touristy areas- and taxis lol you'd pay $50 to go down the street after waiting 2 hours for a driver to come to you. Public transportation exists, but it will be useless for someone who has a premium on their time as the frequency and reliability are so terrible that it makes it barely worth it for us to have here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

@Spicy Grams assessment is completely on point. Also, I think NSU-COM tries to place you at clinical sites during your first two years (shadowing D.O. physicians in the area) to give you some clinical exposure prior to your rotations. I'm not 100% sure if this is required of everyone, and I'm also not sure how accommodating they can be for individuals with no transportation. Just something you may want to look into when making this decision.

@Spicy Grams assessment is completely on point. Also, I think NSU-COM tries to place you at clinical sites during your first two years (shadowing D.O. physicians in the area) to give you some clinical exposure prior to your rotations. I'm not 100% sure if this is required of everyone, and I'm also not sure how accommodating they can be for individuals with no transportation. Just something you may want to look into when making this decision.

They will pair you with someone who can drive to your preceptor. It's not ideal to rely on someone else for a ride though. A car is a good to have in davie Florida or you will be relying on people for everything.

Has there been any waitlist movement so far since 5/15? This seems to be the only thread that's really quiet...

I got accepted off the waitlist yesterday!! I just wanted to say to anyone who's still waiting to hear back to keep your hopes up because I certainly did throughout this entire process.. it still feels surreal. I more than anyone understand the stress and the anxiety behind it but above all, I do believe we end up exactly where we're meant to. I wish you all the best. It will all make sense in the end!

I interviewed some time around February and got waitlisted 2 weeks later so I definitely had been waiting around for a bit. I wish I had more helpful information to give but waitlist movement is happening. I read last years thread and a lot of waitlisters heard from NSU around June/July still so stay positive in these next few weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
I got accepted off the waitlist yesterday!! I just wanted to say to anyone who's still waiting to hear back to keep your hopes up because I certainly did throughout this entire process.. it still feels surreal. I more than anyone understand the stress and the anxiety behind it but above all, I do believe we end up exactly where we're meant to. I wish you all the best. It will all make sense in the end!

I interviewed some time around February and got waitlisted 2 weeks later so I definitely had been waiting around for a bit. I wish I had more helpful information to give but waitlist movement is happening. I read last years thread and a lot of waitlisters heard from NSU around June/July still so stay positive in these next few weeks.

Congrats!!! Did you get phone call or email ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got an e-mail, which funny thing turns out the acceptance e-mail was in junk! so beware of your junk just in case!

withdrew my acceptance today! Good luck to all those on the waitlist and to all those that will be matriculating this fall! :)

Reactions: 2 users
So I submitted my background check and fingerprints last week. I'm leaving the States until the start of school, so is there anything more we need to do before class in July? I heard Nova has drug screens?

When do we get the fingerprint materials sent to us? I did the background check and am about to finish the immunizations but haven't received any info on the fingerprinting. Any info would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

So I submitted my background check and fingerprints last week. I'm leaving the States until the start of school, so is there anything more we need to do before class in July? I heard Nova has drug screens?
Per someone on the Facebook group, Nova doesn't drug screen pre-matriculation. However, they reserve the right to do it at any time once you start school. As far as matriculation requirements it just seems like the background check, fingerprinting, and immunizations/physical exam. (Also Financial Aid, order white coat, etc, if you haven't done that yet.)

When do we get the fingerprint materials sent to us? I did the background check and am about to finish the immunizations but haven't received any info on the fingerprinting. Any info would be helpful! Thanks in advance.
If you are out of state, I do not know how that process works. If you are in Florida, you need to register for the fingerprinting through CastleBranch (same as first background check) using the instructions they sent in the e-mail. *There has been some confusion about this in the FB group; the email has instructions for 2 separate background checks you have to sign up for. CB will then provide you info on completing your fingerprinting (I had to do mine at a UPS Store).

any waitlist movement recently? Still waiting...

I received a call this week from Nova asking if I was still interested and to be on the lookout for another call soon with the news that I'll hopefully be removed off the waitlist. Did anyone else receive a similar call before they were taken off the waitlist? How much should I put my hopes on such a phone call?

I'm still waiting. Haven't received any kind of phone call so it sounds promising to me. I emailed Marleyn but she hasn't responded yet. I'm guessing at this point they're just going down the list now.

If you are out of state, I do not know how that process works. If you are in Florida, you need to register for the fingerprinting through CastleBranch (same as first background check) using the instructions they sent in the e-mail. *There has been some confusion about this in the FB group; the email has instructions for 2 separate background checks you have to sign up for. CB will then provide you info on completing your fingerprinting (I had to do mine at a UPS Store).
Yeah I did the first one already and I just signed up for fingerprinting. It didn't prompt me to pay but I see in the original email that we have to pay $49.25. Do I pay that at the UPS where I do fingerprinting?

Yeah I did the first one already and I just signed up for fingerprinting. It didn't prompt me to pay but I see in the original email that we have to pay $49.25. Do I pay that at the UPS where I do fingerprinting?
The way it worked for me was that once I signed up for the fingerprinting, CastleBranch sent me to another company (Daon aka DTIS). From there you are supposed to set up an account with Daon and schedule an appointment for the fingerprinting. I'm pretty sure this was when I was prompted to make the payment (to Daon). Hope this helps!

The way it worked for me was that once I signed up for the fingerprinting, CastleBranch sent me to another company (Daon aka DTIS). From there you are supposed to set up an account with Daon and schedule an appointment for the fingerprinting. I'm pretty sure this was when I was prompted to make the payment (to Daon). Hope this helps!
Yeah I was sent to Daon too and wasn't prompted for a payment which is why I'm not sure what to do. I scheduled the fingerprinting though.

Withdrew my acceptance here
Hope it goes to one of you :)

I received a call this week from Nova asking if I was still interested and to be on the lookout for another call soon with the news that I'll hopefully be removed off the waitlist. Did anyone else receive a similar call before they were taken off the waitlist? How much should I put my hopes on such a phone call?

Just got that call as well!

Question to any current students, how much money should we be planning to spend on textbooks? Also what iPad is the best one to get?

Just got the call from admissions confirming my continued interest and telling me to keep an eye out for an email in the near future should a space open up.

Just got the call from admissions confirming my continued interest and telling me to keep an eye out for an email in the near future should a space open up.
I'm wondering if I'll ever get that call since I wrote them a letter of intent...

What are some of the popular apartments that students live in?

• Sundance
  • Signature
  • Rolling Hills (technically on-campus)
  • Centro (formerly Sunforest)
Students can also live in Plantation, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, or even near the beach.

- under the FAQ of my blog

Do you (or anyone else) know if these apartments are pretty quiet? (less undergrads, less traffic, etc)

If not, what towns or locations are more quiet?

Do you (or anyone else) know if these apartments are pretty quiet? (less undergrads, less traffic, etc)

If not, what towns or locations are more quiet?

Rolling Hills is only for grad and professional students so there are no undergrads. The other apartments are open to anyone, including undergrads and families with children. There will always be people blasting music, having parties, etc in any apartment complex near NSU. It's just kind of luck of the draw if you end up with a neighbor who will do that regularly. If you really want to be away from all that then you can try living farther away from campus.

Pembroke Pines is supposed to be nice and quiet. Cooper City too. I don't recommend living by the beach if you want quiet though.