Nova-COM Class of 2005 Meeting Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My husband (just got married) and I bought a place on the river/intercoastal, I love the Las Olas area. I guess I will have a bit more of a commute, 20-25 minutes, but it is in a condo 12 stories up, and I can't wait to have my study area overlooking both the water and the city.
Oxford, you're in the same situation. I have friends that live in Weston-The Falls. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to NSU from their place, provided no accidents on 595. I stayed with them the day of my interview, left 45 minutes before I had to be there and still ended up 5 minutes late because of an accident. Fortunately (for me, anyhow), the traffic also effected Dr. Silvagni, who was 15-20 minutes late. They really like the area, though. If you have kids it is the ideal family area.
I still haven't received my info packet. I live in Tampa. The mail usually takes about 2-3 days either way. Hopefully by Tuesday!

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to Liz Nowitz, SOMA president, and she said they are pairing us up with an M2 student, as buddies. Our buddy should be contacting us soon. This way we can ask them questions.

Has anyone heard anything from Finacial Aid about loans?

Originally posted by pecan7576:
•Has anyone heard anything from Finacial Aid about loans?•

Hey pecan, I spoke with someone from HPD financial aid and she verified for me that I was allocated the loans I had applied for. She explained to me that whenever the computer generates the award letter, they would mail it out. Hope this helps some. AJC :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some web pages from NSU-COM. I wonder how our's will be set up? Who is a great web designer? Any computer techies out there?
web page
Check out their album-there are pictures from their white coat ceremony, semi-formal, and a link to pictures from their halloween party.

web page

web page

hey choirgrl!
i'll be living in the laurels too. when are you moving in? i think we'll be getting there about a week before orientation. i'm so excited!!

Originally posted by KateWL:
•Who is a great web designer? Any computer techies out there?

Hey Kate, I know some HTML, I could try to put something together, just let me know if you think I should get it going.
AJC :D

I am supposed to live at The Laurels as well but I got a call last week telling me that the current renters may not move out now. So I may have to find something else. Take care and I will see you all soon!

where are the laurels? I don't remember that place when I interviewed...I'm moving down from Detroit in a couple of weeks and am psyched. Take Care.

Hi all,
I'm moving into the Laurels about a week before orientation as well.
When I sent in my rental application there were only 4 apartments for me to choose from!All of them are on the 3rd floor!
Oh well.
Anybody know what in the world a Jackaranda is?

acaban,
I am not sure who decides how the web site is set up, but if voting is involved I'll vote for you! Did you check out the 2004 class webpage?http://www.nsucom.com/2004/
Under courses they have their semester schedule set up. It gives you a great idea of how our days will be. It is a weekly schedule that includes when tests are, when labs and classes are held, and any special topic classes. It looks we'll be through with classes at 4pm on Mon and Tues, 5 pm on Weds, and 2 on Thurs and Fri unless there is a special topic class (only 3 during the entire 20+ week schedule layed out on their site).
I really like how detailed the site is. Some great ideas! :cool:

i think a jacaranda is a type of tree and flower.

what color scrubs is everyone ordering? anyone know what color geranium (one of the colors they listed) is?

Hey everyone,
I will also be attending Nova this fall, but will be living in Davie Crossings. I am actually looking for a female roommate. If anyone is interested, e-mail me at [email protected]. See you all soon!!!

Hi all,

I just found this site. It is probably obvious that I too will be attening NOVA. But no one is ont his page right now, so catch some of you later. Othewise, see you this fall! Actually July.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh...one more thing...
i don't know what color geranium is, so I'm going safe with navy blue.

I Think geranium is a pinkish purple color.
Navy Blue and Teal for Me.

Hey guys...the most common hospital color scrubs you'll be seeing are the ceil "sky blue" blues and the teal. Navy Blue is usually worn by er med techs and other auxilliary hospital personnel. And geranium is purple, worn by a lot of nurses. Just an important FYI.

Thank You for the info!! AJC

:D

Hey all I'll be in Davie Crossings, cool place, anyone else??? :D

My two cents:
I say order whatever color makes YOU happy :)
I am going to get my mother to make some of mine. Whatever color I want, as long as it is a solid color. We should not get caught up in what the colors stand for. We are in medical school, not in the actual profession yet. Beside if the school does not dictate, why should we limit ourselves. We are still in training, so do not try to rush!

Just wondering when we actually wear the scrubs - besides when we don't want to dress all fancy under our white jackets. I'm trying to get a feel for how many to buy.
(At least we'll have over a week without the jackets up until we get them at the ceremony)

Less than 2 months to go!

I never wore my white coat...come to think of it...only a handful of people ever wore it on a regular basis...i think its ridiculous to have to wear it in school...in fact the first time I'll be putting my white coat on is for rotations next month...however, if you go up to the 4th floor...you better have it on

Hi guys,
Just wondering, what all organizations are we supposed to join. In the packet there are so many! Are we supposed to join as many as possible or should we wait until orientation to decide?
-grl

I think you should purchase about 3-5. Just in case you have a bad week you'll have a weeks worth of scrubs.

I think they will start cracking down on the dress code and they should. We are striving to be professional who will wear white coats for the rest of our lives, whatever color the scrub will be. Besides we did sign a dress code form saying we would follow the rules.
I think the white coat makes us look prestigious. :D

Choirgrl05,
I think that most people join SOMA - and then ones that interest you. I think I read that there will be club booths during orientation week to get to know more about them. There are many that seem interesting, but I dunno if I'll have the time for them all.

Hey everyone,

what is this dress code thing everyone keeps saying they signed? I never signed one. I never received one to sign nor was I asked at my interview. There's a dress code?

Actually, I know that other schools have dress codes for their medical students...I was just unaware that our school had one. I remember thinking that it was weird that I heard no mention of one...now it makes more sense looking back. So is there a form I need to get or what?

Originally posted by alfonsito:
•Hey everyone, what is this dress code thing everyone keeps saying they signed? There's a dress code?•

Hi Alfonisto, Yes there is actually a dress code at Nova. If I remember correctly when you recieved a letter to interview with NSU there was also a form in the interview packet that asked you to sign and date prior to your interview date, a form about the attire at the school. Basically it boils down to two items for guys. You can wear scrubs OR you can wear dress pants and shirts to class. In both cases they ask you wear your white coat which you will receive during the "white coat ceremony" on August 18. You can always ask the admissions office to fax/e-mail/postal mail you a copy of thier dress code. (he he he Gotta love technology) Hope this helps some. Have a good weekend ya'll.

AJC :D

In your invitation-to-interview letter there was supposed to be two forms to sign and send to the admissions office - an acknowledgement of the dress code and that you will be in physical contact with fellow students in OPP class.

It stipulates: Students should have a neat and professional appearance, must have white consultation jackets over their attire, always wear their IDs. Males are supposed to wear trousers, shoes, socks, dress shirt and tie; females wear dresses of appropriate length or slacks or skirts, blouses and shoes. I was told during my tour that these rules aren't strictly adhered to, but I saw many students dressed nicely.

Ditto to what Sethpol wrote! AJC :D

There is a picture of the 2004 students in scrubs, you can see all the colors to choose from. The site is http://www.nsucom.com/2004/
and it is under the "album" tab, and the white coat ceremony pictures. The bottom row has a pictures of students sitting around in their scrubs-each student is wearing a different color. I think I'll chose teal.

Hi guys, do you know if our Standard Student Budget takes into account a computer for school? I heard that NSU will be requireing a notebook computer for all incoming 1st year students. Reason being, that they want to able to upload course notes to our notebooks computers instead of distributing a paper based notes. Have any of you heard of this? Thanks for any input. AJC :D

Acaban,
I have not heard anything about the computer thing.

Just thought I would inform everyone how extremly small the lab coats run. I am local, so I went to the book store today to get fitted for the coat. I am a size 4(women)natural and had to order a size 10 jacket. The size 8 was ok but not really comfortable. The rep also said if you put the jackets in a very hot dryer they will shrink.
So for all the out-of-towner beware when ordering your coat!!!!

I also purchased my scrubs while I was there. They have a good variety of colors. The scrubs are reversible. The cost is 9.95 per top and bottom.

Hi pecan7576:

I went to get fitted today. I am sorry I missed you. I measured in at 48L they do run small on guys also. I cant wait to get our white coats. I also but four pairs of scrubs. If you find out about the computer let me know. AJC :D

Hey acaban-
I'm a 42r should I get a 44r. Haven't heard anything about laptops, I'm thinking home pc will be fine (I hope). What about shoes with our scrubs, I guess tennis shoes are out? Black wingtips with scrubs--sweet.

Hi digginbones:
You are too funny. I also heard that the coats shrink after they wash, so you might want to get is a little bigger. I am not sure how much shrinkage. he he he

I just got off the phone with Dr.Shaw who teaches the computer courses (Medical Informatics) at NSU and he explained to me that the school has no policy on the purchase of a computer. It is up to us to decide what is most comfortable for us to use. Some faculty have electronic notes and some still use a paper based notes. He explained to me that their are some microlabs availble to us in the event we cant afford to have a computer. Hope this help some. AJC :D

digginbones,
You may want to get about two sizes bigger! Like I said, I am a four naturally and the size 10 was the most confortable fit.

As far as shoes, they have comfortable casual shoes that will look nice with scrubs. I purchased a pair of Clark's they were expensive but I am going to wear them everyday. Or you can purchase those white shoes doctors and nurses wear with their scrubs. :eek:

Thanks pecan & abacan-
You guys are a great help. Heck of a drive to try on jackets. :cool: . I value my feet!!!I'll be down soon! Excited man-

Sincerely,
Digginbones

Originally posted by pecan7576:
•digginbones,
You may want to get about two sizes bigger! Like I said, I am a four naturally and the size 10 was the most confortable fit.

Wow! I am glad I didn't order based on my undergrad lab coat by Landau. I'd look like David Banner as he turns into the Hulk!!! :eek:

When is everyone moving down (if not already in the area)? I am moving at the end of June, barely 3 weeks away!

Does anyone have some suggestions on restaurants/club/pub/bar scene? I psyched to start checking out Ft. Lauderdale! :cool:

Hey Guys,
I am going to Nova next year, but I am going to be in the Dental School. Since I have not met too many of my future classmates, I was just wondering if it is nessesary to buy scrubs now or can we just buy them like a week before school starts because I was planning on moving down at that time.

Thanks

Hi Everyone!

Anybody interested in being my roommate? I am going to live in Sunforest because I want to WALK to school and not have to drive. I have lived in S. Florida for three years and have had enough with the driving. It is my dream to walk or ride my bike to school each and everyday. I have two dogs that will also be sharing the apartment. They are laid back and well-trained so not a problem if you are used to dogs. Anybody interested? By the way, I am male and 27 years-old. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by KateWL:

Does anyone have some suggestions on restaurants/club/pub/bar scene? I psyched to start checking out Ft. Lauderdale! :cool:[/QB]

The Riverwalk and Las Olas area are the best areas in Ft. Lauderdale. The Broward Convention Center, where we will be having our white coat ceremony, is near there.

However, the best places to hang out, from what I hear because I am not a party person, is in Miami. South Beach and Bayside are the two most popular places in Miami.

If you are coming down early you can travel down there. It is not hard to find using the map Nova sent out.

Originally posted by biggezz:
[QB]Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if it is nessesary to buy scrubs now or can we just buy them like a week before school starts because I was planning on moving down at that time.

I would buy some now and some when I get here. They should have a great supply of scrubs at the book store, knowing the demand. But just in case they do not,I would have some to start me out. Some of the scrubs may have your pants size but not your top size.

Hope this helps. Cost:$9.95 per top and pants.

FYI: The scrubs from SOSA has the association sheild on it.

Thanks much, Pecan7576! I am looking forward to exploring the area!

Hi Folks-

Not much to say, just wanted to introduce myself, Starting at Nova this summer. Hope to meet y'all in person in a few short weeks

Cheers,
-Fred

Hi Fred,

Welcome to SDN! Have a good weekend. I know I will, as I am heading to the florida keys for some fishing and sun! AJC :D

Okay...a few ?'s

My suit jacket size is 40-42...what size jacket should I order. I can't find any fitting places where I am, and being in good ole MO, I can't stop by the fitting place in FLL. I am about 5'9" and 140 lbs., kinda skinny. Any recommendations will be great.

Also, do scrubs run small or large? What size should I order. I wear small or medium clothing, waist 32. Any sugesstions? There are 4 large hospitals in my small town, and I can't find a uniform store anywhere...go figure.

Thanks

ALFONSITO,
The srubs run regular size. But I would by the jacket 2-3 sizes bigger than your normal size. You may also want to get a tall, not regular length.

Hope this helps!

Acaban,
Just came from the keys myself
:cool: I know you will have a great time. Do not forget to go watch the sunset on Taylor Beach it is a beautiful site!

Hey Guys...

I'm moving down there next week, so maybe we can all meet up for a hot toddy the week after? I'll be in touch or just fire me off an email!!!

---------

The thing to remember when traveling is that the trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for. (louis L'Amour)

Acaban,
Very jealous! I wish I wasn't still working! Have fun!

Alperaar,
I think that is a great idea! It would be fun to have a bunch of us meet up before orientation week. Last few weeks of true freedom! ;) I hear Mangos or anything on Riverwalk is pretty cool. I won't be down there for 3 weeks, but when I am, count me in. I am always up for drinks/eats at a cool hangout.

*insert your own insiring/humerous/insightful quote here, I can't think of any at the moment ;) :D *