Nova-COM Class of 2005 Meeting Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I experienced that (not personally) when I was interviewing at COMP... Penis dissection... From a male's perspective... Ouch! :eek:

-A

Members don't see this ad.

Any MS1's well versed in rotation schedule for NOVA? I have a bunch of questions if anyone can help...... :confused: :confused:

-A

Choirgirl,

Let me just say for the record, that Dr. Yip was explicitly clear about penile dissection. Actually, I DIDN'T cut my (donor body's) penis. Dr. Mariassy walked by, swinging his large Metzenbaum scissors all over the place, and SNIP! Excalibur slipped from its sheath and dove deep into corpus spongiosum. I'd recommend that people go to NSUCOM for the comedy alone. Love anatomy lab... Just let [email protected] handle the rotary saw and the facial nerves will all fall in line.

:)

Ben

Members don't see this ad :)
AMRA,

Since we just had a whole "Dean's Hour" meeting about our trek through osteopathic medical education, I can relay some info about NSUCOM's rotation schedule to you. You did know that osteopathic school takes four years, right? Just kidding! Like most other DO schools, the rotations are pretty standardized. In your first year, you'll be rotating with a primary care practitioner about once every other week. In your second year, you visit the preceptor's office weekly and participate in the formulation of a differential diagnosis and treatment plan. You can "bid" for your first choice rotations towards the middle of your second year. You basically list three choices, in order of preference, and then off you go. Third year rotations are mostly comprised of core components like family practice, internal medicine, and general surgery. The fourth year allows you to diversify, if you like. The core rotations are: EM, Family Medicine, and three months at a "rural" or underserved location. The elective choices are ENORMOUS. The North Broward Hospital District is extremely high volume and allows a med student to complete ALL of your third year core courses at hospitals in north broward county. As stated earlier in the forum, NSU's got affiliations with Miami Children's, Miami Heart, Mt. Sinai, and UM/Jackson Memorial Medical Center. I saw AdrianShoe floating around this thread, and he is one of the more objective (and informed) members about NSU that I've had the pleasure of conversing with. Best of luck!

Just wanted to say good luck to future 2006er's. NSUCOM is a fantastic place to attend school. Facilities, faculty, the beach... I don't need much more. Hello to fellow M1's- 6 more weeks wow! rchristo @nova.edu that's me. :D

Don't forget that as an NSU-COM student you can do your core rotations at places besides Broward county... Largo/Tampa, Orlando, Ormond Beach, Ft. Myers, Georgia, etc. Too many people miss these great opportunities to go to much bigger and more academically oriented facilities (SunCoast hospital is has the greatest # of DO residencies in FL).

I remember a dialog from Adrianshoe last year talking about unpaid faculty at some facilities.... Can someone please clarify...?

Do NOVA students get "first dibs" at the residency slots at these affils?

Thanks!

-A

Clarifications?

Quinn's point is well taken about bigger and better academic opportunities. However, SunCoast hospital is not well known as a huge academic hospital. Its a 300 bed acute care medical center in Largo, Florida. The reason why it has the most # of DO residencies is because its one of the few remaining DO hospitals! SunCoast hospital hosts residents in anesthesiology, dermatology, FP, general surgery, and a few other programs. I'm absolutely pro-Nova, but South Florida is home to some of our best regional health care centers. Broward County alone has two Level-I adult AND pediatric trauma centers. Jackson Memorial Hospital to the south has over 1700 beds and is home to such prestigious programs like organ transplantation, trauma and burn critical care, opthamology, and research. NSU is an excellent choice for medical education due to ample clinical opportunities. I'm not suggesting that students NOT keep their minds open; I'm merely reasurring those that want to stay "local" need not worry about clinical experience. With regard to "unpaid faculty," I recall that discussion was pertinent to the IGC preceptorships. In your first and second year at NSU, the university enlists volunteer physician-mentors to guide you through initial patient encounters. The pros and cons of such an arrangement are certainly beyond the scope of this meager reply, but I believe the use of volunteer doctors is confined to the IGC program.

pushinepi2-

That is what I was looking for... I did't remember reading about that being specific to preceptorship. Made my day! Thanks!

-A

At Suncoast, NSU students can do rotations at any of the hospitals up here, and here in the Tampa/St Pete area, there are lots to choose from (Tampa General, St. Joe's, Bayfront, etc). If you set it up correctly, a MS3 can do almost all of their cores at some incredible facilities (Moffit Cancer Center, too, forgot that big one). Since most DO students will end up doing a DO Internship, its important to be exposed to the facilities that offer those DO Internships. As for Jackson, it is a great facility, but talk to any of the students that rotate through there, and get their frank opinion on how they were treated.

I wanted to get a post in to "revive" this thread...

The Class of 2006 has a thread here that can always use your input:
<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001964" target="_blank">SDN Thread for Class of 2006</a>

We've been working on a webpage also:
<a href="http://www.nsucom2006.com" target="_blank">Class of 2006 Website</a>

Thanks for your help (in advance!)... I look forward to learning a lot from ya'll (and being a pain-in-the-a$$)...

-A

I have a question. Which way does the bad traffic go on University drive during rush hour?

I am trying to figure out if it would be better to live north or south of NSU on University drive for traffic considerations, so I could be traveling opposite the traffic during each rush hour....

When exactly is you rush hour? (how long does it last?)
Which way, N or S on University drive is worse during morning -vs- evening rush hour???

Any other info or advice would be helpful..

I've heard I should avoid Cooper City..

Thanks,

Mike

I'll be heading to NOVA this fall and my wife is still finishing her undergrad. If anyone knows, how is NOVA's undergrad (especially thier psych. program) and what about any other schools in the area, FAU? Thanks!

Here is my advice about University Drive:

IT SUCKS!! Well, it sucks most of the time, anyway.

...Way too many lights.

...Way too much traffic.

(especially right around NSU-COM)

Unless you are going to live right next to campus, i.e. Sunforest, Cedar Key, Poinciana Lakes, Davie Crossings, etc., my advise is not to live directly off of University Drive. Also, I would not advise living somewhere that makes it necessary to use University Drive as your primary route to get to NSU, i.e. St. Tropez in Plantation (which is an otherwise beautiful place to live).

My suggestion is to live off of a faster north/south route with less traffic, lights, etc. such as Pine Island Rd. or Nob Hill Rd. or to live east or west of NSU.

Living DIRECTLY north or DIRECTLY south of NSU is an all-around bad idea because you would be limited to taking University Dr. as your only option.

Of course this is only my OPINION, and I have to admit that I have a definate bias against University drive, and sitting at stop lights in general. I avoid University Dr. like the plague.

If I were you, I would take the drive from the prospective apartment complex at 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. before I made any real decision.

I would have to say that I am especially partial to Plantation as an apartment location. There are lots of nice places to rent in plantation, it is a beautiful town, and it is very close to the not-so-beautiful Davie. (for those of you new to the concept, NSU-COM is surrounded on all sides by Davie despite its "Ft. Lauderdale" address).

Thanks Bluejay.....

I just put a deposit down on a condo at University Parc, by Poinciana Homes. It's on Nova Drive and it currently being built.

<a href="http://www.poincianahomes.com/universityparc/" target="_blank">http://www.poincianahomes.com/universityparc/</a>

Can you go around the back way from Nova drive to College drive, or SW 76th st to avoid traffic?????

Let me know thanks,

Mike

Mike Parker:

Nova Drive is an east/west road as is 30th (which runs right by the NSU-COM entrance). You can take Nova drive to college ave. to get to 30th and you can miss University all together. I think this is what you were meaning in your post. If so, you are right.

There aren't too many lights along Nova Dr. because it is very residential. The only trouble about the entire area surrounding NSU, however is that it is very school-dense. This means that getting in or out of the area at 8:00 in the morning or 3:00 in the afternoon (give or take) is a major pain.
Take this into consideration:
1. NSU is between University and College along 30th.
2. Broward Community College is between College and Davie Rd. directly beside NSU.
3. Nova School is accross from BCC and NSU on College Ave.
This is not counting the other elementary schools in the neighborhood. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but, at 8:00 in the morning, it is hell anywhere in that neighborhood. There are school buses and soccer moms everywhere on top of the BCC and NSU traffic. There is just a big clog of people during the specific times that schools begin and end because there are just so many different schools in the area. At night and on weekends, the area is calmer.
I don't know specifically where your place is along Nova Dr., but it is a nice little residential neighborhood along there. There is a definate benefit to living close to campus: you can go home for lunch or easily get something you've forgotten, you can easily come back to campus to study, use the Rec Plex, or meet people, etc. You are in easy bicycle distance from there.

I guess this was a long-winded way to answer your question. Yes, you can get to NSU-COM via Nova Drive, College Ave. and 30th. The reality is, however, that all three of those roads, as well as university dr., are very hectic at the time of day that you will be going to class. There is a definate benefit, however, in not having a long distance to drive.

Bump! Geeze, you guys were fourteen pages back! I guess we won't be posting as much once school starts... :p question from the class of 2006:

What the heck size do we order for our lab coats??? The forms are due by June 30 and none of us will be down there by then to try anything on! Please help. Thanks! :D