Notification of Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoodle

UC-Davis DVM/PhD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Some anxious, obsessive nailbiters like myself over in the "hearing back" thread were talking about when to expect final decisions, but we've realized that a more relevant issue for us all right now is when (and how) to expect notification of interviews (or not). I've done a forum search and couldn't find some comprehensive thread on the subject.

If you've applied and gotten interviews in the past, please let us know roughly WHEN and by WHAT MEDIUM (phone, letter, online status change, email). If you have some other info about what to expect even if you haven't applied, that's nice too!

School name: rough date (early-mid-late of month), medium

Then copy and paste from the one above for consistency so we build up a list.

can you tell I'm massively procrastinating from mid-term studying?? :)

Members don't see this ad.

UF: notifies of interviews in Feb (by mail); acceptances (mail) 1st week of April

OK state: notifies (mail) OOS acceptance/rejection 1st week April

I don't remember my straight out rejections, except for Kansas State. I heard nothing, absolutely nothing until May (email)

Washington State sent out interview invites around mid January by snail mail & interviewed mid-Feb. Got my CO rejection mid-late Jan. Notified of wait-list at ISU mid-Feb (Valentine's day!). Rejected from WSU, OSU, & Wisconsin all in mid March.

I never heard from Davis at all. I had to call repeatedly to get any response from them.

GOOD LUCK! To everyone applying this year!!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
U. Penn: sent postcard 1st (they called it a "supplementary information card") dated 11/26 which you had to return and indicate whether your preference was large animal, small animal, research, other. The postcard also asked for your GPA. Next came a letter 1/22 w/invitation to interview. Interviews were held on Fridays. Mine was 2/16, a large animal day. I think there were 2 more weeks of interviews after mine. My alternate status (waitlist) letter came 2 weeks after my interview.
Western made phone calls extending invitations to interview 1 week in Jan. My advisor could not reach me by phone and wound up emailing me. You were given a few interview dates to choose from; I chose one of the earlier dates. My interview was Feb 1. Alternate status letter came 3/15.
Oklahoma does not interview OOS. Letters were sent the end of March advising acceptance, rejection or waitlist.
Iowa let everyone know by email on the same date but I don't remember the date as my file was declared incomplete (so I had no status)
Massey notified via email & snail mail May 1 -I think some people were notified earlier.
That's all the info I remember to pass on.

OSU sent me an invitation to interview the first week of November, had my interview 2 weeks later, and received a phone call on January 24th to inform me that I had been accepted (I received a letter 2 weeks later)...

Good luck with everything

I never heard from Davis at all. I had to call repeatedly to get any response from them.

WHAT!! This is abominable. I would have been so upset and angry... after all the work we do and the stressing and worrying, to be treated with so little respect? grrr.

WHAT!! This is abominable. I would have been so upset and angry... after all the work we do and the stressing and worrying, to be treated with so little respect? grrr.

I was not amused.

ISU says nothing on their website, but their info .pdf on VMCAS says that they have an "early consideratio" for applicants who have their app complete by sept 30. These people will receive offers to interview in mid to late oct (which is close to now). All others will interview late nov, late dec, and eaely jan. This is their first year to interview so we will see how well they stick to the schedule. Just for the record I know my app was complete on sept 15 so I will let you all know if/when I hear anything.(Sorry if there are errors in this, I typed it on my blackberry =o))

U. Penn: sent postcard 1st (they called it a "supplementary information card") dated 11/26 which you had to return and indicate whether your preference was large animal, small animal, research, other. The postcard also asked for your GPA. Next came a letter 1/22 w/invitation to interview. Interviews were held on Fridays. Mine was 2/16, a large animal day. I think there were 2 more weeks of interviews after mine. My alternate status (waitlist) letter came 2 weeks after my interview.

That's interesting about the postcard from Penn. Do they specifically pair you with interviews in your field of interest?

That's interesting about the postcard from Penn. Do they specifically pair you with interviews in your field of interest?

I believe they try to keep field of interests together-at least in the past. The last interviews were mixed fields of interest & included those who could not make prior dates.

Tufts - December 22nd email and snail mail. Interviews themselves were early Feb.

They tried to get all the LA people interviewing on the same days because they included a trip out to the New Bolton Center (LA campus) that's an hour away. I interviewed on a non-LA day and it was all on the main campus.

At Penn, does "research" mean all the VMD/PhD people? or can it be VMD people who are interested in research as well?

At Penn, does "research" mean all the VMD/PhD people? or can it be VMD people who are interested in research as well?

i think both? in the class of 2001, we have i think 3 (plus one or two or five?) vmd/phd students. as imagine21 said, they group you. so even if you're not a phd applicant, so long as "research" is cehcked on teh post card, you'll get lumped into that group.

it also includes those interested in lab animal medicine. ok, i'm really not sure, but that's the jist i've gotten from apps that interviewed on days different from mine.

ISU says nothing on their website, but their info .pdf on VMCAS says that they have an "early consideratio" for applicants who have their app complete by sept 30. These people will receive offers to interview in mid to late oct (which is close to now).

Iowa State? Really? Shoot...I totally missed out on that one. :( That's frustrating, because I have the 2008 matriculation VMSAR, which said nothing about it. I stopped looking at the online PDFs when I got that because I assumed it had the same info.

Do you know if "early consideration" means that those candidates will be considered for admission before all others, or that they will be in the first batch of interviews? Because they still seem to say that all candidates get notified of admissions in mid Feb. I would assume that if early folks got special consideration they might be offered spaces sooner??

I am not sure. Like I said there is no info on their website regarding this. Only the reference in that one info sheet on the VMCAS website. I doubt that those who receive "early consideration" will have any advantage as far as admissions since you have to be Sherlock Holmes to find out that such a thing even exists. Maybe it is just sone secret way to sneak the children of prominent donors but bad grades into vet school =o)

I am not sure. Like I said there is no info on their website regarding this. Only the reference in that one info sheet on the VMCAS website. I doubt that those who receive "early consideration" will have any advantage as far as admissions since you have to be Sherlock Holmes to find out that such a thing even exists. Maybe it is just sone secret way to sneak the children of prominent donors with bad grades into vet school =o)

Missouri- email notification just after Thanksgiving, interview first week of January (VERYYYYY early)
VA-MD, Tufts, Mississippi- email notification last December, early January, interviews in early February

Acceptances as early as 6 days after interview (VA-MD on 2/14!!!). Mississippi 2 days after that (2 weeks after interview). Missouri & Tufts acceptances end of February, early March.

i think both? in the class of 2001, we have i think 3 (plus one or two or five?) vmd/phd students. as imagine21 said, they group you. so even if you're not a phd applicant, so long as "research" is cehcked on teh post card, you'll get lumped into that group.

it also includes those interested in lab animal medicine. ok, i'm really not sure, but that's the jist i've gotten from apps that interviewed on days different from mine.

Yeah, it is both. I checked research even though I'm not a PhD student, because I would consider going into research. I don't think I'd consider lab animal medicine as research, I might put that under "other".

By the way, we have 5 VMD/PhD students. Also, we're in the class of 2011, not the class of 2001. God, get it right.

ISU says nothing on their website, but their info .pdf on VMCAS says that they have an "early consideratio" for applicants who have their app complete by sept 30. These people will receive offers to interview in mid to late oct (which is close to now).

To follow up on this, I received the following information from Kathy Kuehl, the Coordinator of Admissions at Iowa State. She told me the following:

.It was the Admissions Committee’s intention to allow applicants who submitted their materials earlier to have an early interview with the possibility a very few applicants could know their admissions status early, however, the Committee agreed that the majority of those who interviewed would be retained until final decisions are made in February. The first interview dates were to be November 2-3, but all decisions on the process could not be made to accommodate those dates so the first interviews will be held November 30 and December 1.

and, in a later email:

.I believe the November 30-December 1 (or about that same time) each year will be the earliest we will be able to interview. Although the deadline is October 1, we are still awaiting many paper evaluations from VMCAS and files cannot be given to the Admissions Committee to review without these. We expect them shortly but this would not give the Committee enough time to review files and still give applicants time to be notified and plan for an interview the first of November. The other interview dates for this year will be January 4-5 and January 11-12.

Just FYI.