Bringing materials to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RahyneDays

KSU C/O 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some feedback. I wrote a substantial paper (60+ pages including references) for an independent study course where I chose the topic of DCM in companion animals and the influences of marketing. It really is my pride and joy of my undergraduate literature. Do you think it would be appropriate to bring it in a nice portfolio to my interviews? I mentioned it at least once in my essays for each school I applied to.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you considering bringing it along?

I would certainly be prepared to discuss it or weave it into some of your responses (e.g. Q: "tell me about your interest in research" A: "I'm interested in pursuing further research into the interplay between veterinary medicine and public perception of "hot topics," similar to my study on DCM and the influence of marketing...") but it's highly unlikely that anyone who is interviewing you will be reading anything 60 pages long on the spot.

It's nice that you are proud of your work -- I'm just not sure how physically bringing it is going to help you convey that excitement.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm only considering bringing it along because of how I was raised, ("Always bring extra copies of your resume, show your work dont tell it" ect ect) but I also know from work experience that an older generation thinks that's still how it works but it rarely occurs anymore. I was definitely planning on talking about it if questions arise in the interviews, and I can always get their email and forward it if someone is actually interested in reading it. I just was unsure if there are pros/cons to bringing it that someone else can think of. Part of me says "leave it, if they want it they will ask" and the other part says "dont be unprepared, this is your chance to wow them".

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only considering bringing it along because of how I was raised, ("Always bring extra copies of your resume, show your work dont tell it" ect ect) but I also know from work experience that an older generation thinks that's still how it works but it rarely occurs anymore. I was definitely planning on talking about it if questions arise in the interviews, and I can always get their email and forward it if someone is actually interested in reading it. I just was unsure if there are pros/cons to bringing it that someone else can think of. Part of me says "leave it, if they want it they will ask" and the other part says "dont be unprepared, this is your chance to wow them".

Probably depends on the school but LMU’s interview invite specifically said not to bring any materials to the interview (aside from like a notebook if you’re a note-taker).

Reactions: 1 users
You would absolutely want to check with the schools on whether or not you can bring anything like your resume or a paper you wrote. A lot of schools do "closed interviews" where the interviews only know your name and are not meant to know anything about you besides what you say during your interview. Some schools follow specific interview questions that they reuse every year and follow that pretty strictly.

I would caution you to not bring the paper. If you think about it, of the 8000+ applicants, a lot of them have done similar things as this. If every person brought physical representations of these items, the interviewers would be leaving with a foot thick file folder.

Emphasize it in interview questions if you want, especially the why its your pride and joy (and emphasize how that goes beyond you worked hard on it). But the school has what they want from you and have given instruction to the interviewers on what they would like them to look for with various degrees of freedom. If the school wanted a copy of your paper, they would have asked for it.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn’t. If they’re interested enough they’ll ask you to forward a copy through email. If you bring it and hand it out, it’s just kind of weird. Like people don’t bring their poster presentations, PhD stuff, case reports, etc. And no need to bring copies of resume or application either. Just know your application and be prepared to talk about any part of it.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone for your input! I will refrain from bringing it and close this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.