Not doing well in PChem... how much will this affect admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2failornot2fail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it factors into BCPM so it'll obviously affect my application, but would adcoms be forgiving for a less-than-perfect grade in PChem? Sorry this post is long. Too long; won't read: I gotta take PChem now but I might end up with a B/B-; how bad would that be?

My university only offers one semester of gen chem, so all pre-meds have to take PChem to fulfill the 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry. I've talked to four successful pre-meds (now going to med school), and most said they got a B/B- in the course, with only one person getting an A-, but that their other grades made it possible to still get a good sGPA. My problem is that I f*cked up in my freshman year, so my current sGPA is a 3.6, with Physics 1/2 and PChem left to finish up the pre-reqs. Physics seems to be fine, but I'm worried about PChem. Subsequent semesters have been an upward trend generally.

I got a D on the first quiz for PChem, but thankfully they don't count the first quiz because we take it within the first week of classes. I'm studying hard, but I also have genetics and physics 1, so I can't spend all my time studying for PChem, because the other two classes also need a lot of work. I have to take PChem now, otherwise I'll have to take it with Physics 2 and biochem, or I'll be 1 semester behind on my major. Financially, I can't afford an extra semester, and Physics 2 and biochem are among the hardest classes here, so I'd rather not fail three classes.

Basically, I want to focus on genetics and physics 1 this semester, meaning I might end up with a B or B- in PChem. I know that's not great, but would adcomms be slightly forgiving? My sGPA, assuming I get A's in genetics and physics, would be a 3.62, which is average, but would a dip in the trend be negatively looked at?

I know there are a bunch of other factors in admissions, but just looking at GPA, would it be okay?

Members don't see this ad.

you're fine.

I know it factors into BCPM so it'll obviously affect my application, but would adcoms be forgiving for a less-than-perfect grade in PChem? Sorry this post is long. Too long; won't read: I gotta take PChem now but I might end up with a B/B-; how bad would that be?

My university only offers one semester of gen chem, so all pre-meds have to take PChem to fulfill the 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry. I've talked to four successful pre-meds (now going to med school), and most said they got a B/B- in the course, with only one person getting an A-, but that their other grades made it possible to still get a good sGPA. My problem is that I f*cked up in my freshman year, so my current sGPA is a 3.6, with Physics 1/2 and PChem left to finish up the pre-reqs. Physics seems to be fine, but I'm worried about PChem. Subsequent semesters have been an upward trend generally.

I got a D on the first quiz for PChem, but thankfully they don't count the first quiz because we take it within the first week of classes. I'm studying hard, but I also have genetics and physics 1, so I can't spend all my time studying for PChem, because the other two classes also need a lot of work. I have to take PChem now, otherwise I'll have to take it with Physics 2 and biochem, or I'll be 1 semester behind on my major. Financially, I can't afford an extra semester, and Physics 2 and biochem are among the hardest classes here, so I'd rather not fail three classes.

Basically, I want to focus on genetics and physics 1 this semester, meaning I might end up with a B or B- in PChem. I know that's not great, but would adcomms be slightly forgiving? My sGPA, assuming I get A's in genetics and physics, would be a 3.62, which is average, but would a dip in the trend be negatively looked at?

I know there are a bunch of other factors in admissions, but just looking at GPA, would it be okay?
Keep in mind that for AMCAS your GPAs and BCPM GPAs are displayed year by year, not term by term. So long as your BCPM stays near the average for those accepted (which it sounds like is likely to be true, from your projections), eyebrows will not be raised.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the appropriate question at this stage is: how do I do better in PChem? It might seem that studying for three tough science classes is a zero-sum game, but it's not. Study smarter, not harder. With PChem and physics, the approach you need to take is to understand where all those equations come from. For instance, from F = ma, you should be able to derive all the equations of kinematics. A lot of people struggle with these classes because all they see is a bunch of formulas that are impossible to commit to memory unless you sit there for hours on end. But realize that math is just a tool for understanding science. The equations all come from somewhere and mean something. If you understand their meaning, the equations will start coming to you easier.

At this point in the course, focus on improving how you study for it and not on resigning yourself to that B/B-.

In addition to what Aldol said, undergraduate P-chem is mostly a course where you need to have good algebraic skills. Not even calculus. Graduate P-chem is where calculus is used.

Manipulating equations is essential in P-chem (as well as physics). Understand how to derive equations and get the units down pat.

Also, P-chem is one of those courses where I found study groups extremely useful.

A single bad grade will not keep you out of med school...even an F.

So quit fussing.

Reactions: 2 users