Requesting a deferral for mental health - how much info to give?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aroogula

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm really lucky to have an offer of admission. However, my mental health has really deteriorated over the past year -- anxiety, hair falling out, severe insomnia. The insomnia is the thing that scares me the most about med school. It makes it hard to retain information, and it also makes me miserable and less emotionally resilient usual.

Being at home with my family has been healing, and I've also found a therapist who is a really good match for me. This feels like a long road, though. Moving for school would mean I couldn't see my therapist anymore; she's not licensed in the state to which I'd be moving. Ideally, I would like to stay home for a year and work on my mental health so I can start medical school in a better place.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience requesting a deferral for similar reasons. How specific should I be about my health? Will I need documentation or a formal diagnosis?

Thanks for your advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Trying not to quote. Yes you will need an official letter from a psychiatrist who has seen you. Could you elaborate more on your "why medicine" vs. your mental health concerns so that we can compare/contrast pros and cons?

I'm sorry that you are going through this. You have our support here. 🤗

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear. I need to say there is no guarantee you will get a deferral even for medical reasons. As much as it may be inconvenient to apply again, it may be much less expensive than starting but not completing your education. Your health must come first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear. I need to say there is no guarantee you will get a deferral even for medical reasons. As much as it may be inconvenient to apply again, it may be much less expensive than starting but not completing your education. Your health must come first.
Thank you, Mr. Smile. I'm preparing for the possibility of reapplying. It's not the inconvenience that bothers me but the worry that med schools will see I've been accepted before and reject me for that reason. But, as you say, it might be unavoidable, and I'm not ready to start an 8-year roller coaster right now.

• Care
Thank you, Mr. Smile. I'm preparing for the possibility of reapplying. It's not the inconvenience that bothers me but the worry that med schools will see I've been accepted before and reject me for that reason. But, as you say, it might be unavoidable, and I'm not ready to start an 8-year roller coaster right now.
As long as you don't matriculate and have a documented reason for not starting, no school will outright reject your future application except (perhaps) the school that initially accepted you.

Reactions: 3 users
One more thing to look up: health insurance at your school. What is covered for mental health, and how soon would you need to establish yourself before you can get access to confidential mental health services? If you have a transition plan, you have a better argument for a deferral.

Reactions: 3 users
One more thing to look up: health insurance at your school. What is covered for mental health, and how soon would you need to establish yourself before you can get access to confidential mental health services? If you have a transition plan, you have a better argument for a deferral.
Oh I didn't think of this at all, thank you. I will do.

Do you have any advice on how much info to volunteer at first, or how much it's normal for schools to require to consider a deferral? If it were a job I'd assume health privacy rights applied and indeed it would be inappropriate to give a lot of detail due to the stigma around mental health, but I'm not sure where those rights end as a (potential) medical student.

Last edited:
Do you have any advice on how much info to volunteer at first, or how much it's normal for schools to require to consider a deferral?
I can't comment on the latter since it's very much school specific, but for the first question, provide only as much information as needed and nothing more.

I would start by asking what the process is when requesting a deferral for medical reasons, and go from there after the school provides guidance. Just my thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users