I have a pretty big youtube channel. How will this affect my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterParker616

Reaction score
I started a YouTube channel a few years ago and have since gained a pretty substantial following, around 400k subscribers. My name isn't attached to it and when you look it up with my name my name doesn't show up, but I do show my face. In my opinion, I don't say anything on there that would be considered "harmful". I do make a lot of jokes, and when I do swear I censor myself. I also dip into politics from time to time.

Should I abstain from mentioning my channel on my application? It has nothing to do with being a premed or medicine. I just don't know how I will be viewed by an admission committee, or how to proceed with the application process regarding its existence. I'm applying next June for the 2024-2025 cycle.

I really love what I do and have been able to support myself with my channel so I don't think I'd want to stop if I get into medical school. I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I found what I suspect is your channel in about 2 seconds of googling. Probably do a better job of protecting your anonymity in the future. Regardless, I don't see anything on there that would be an app killer. Is that your real name on the channel title? If so, I guess it's impossible to hide it but I wouldn't put it on your application. Responses to a hobby (or side career as it is) as a youtube influencer will be mixed.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't obligated to disclose this on your application. Whether anyone would recognize you during an interview or google your name before, or after, making you an interview invitation, is an open question.

Whether you'd have the time to continue while in med school remains to be seen. Some people have time for hobbies and some find it sucks up too much of the time that should be devoted to studying. (I recall a student, a well known athlete, who was struggling academically but appearing nightly on the local news with comments on Olympic events -- the Dean was not too pleased. The student graduated and matched so it worked out in the end.)

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of people make money now off social media, including people who talk about their journey in medical school. I won't be an old angry person telling you not to do it, but you could be surprised how many applicants love to talk about their application experience (how I nailed Casper, how I nailed MMIs, how I wrote my letter of intent and got in...) as if they had any control over the matter.

It won't stop asking residents and professionals who love the online SM side hustle. I enjoy the dentists who show pictures of cases (deidentified) to make their pitch. You all have that debt to pay back so why not.

Then admissions and public communication offices are encouraging student takeovers of the SM accounts... because we don't have the bandwidth for cool TT videos.

Just be aware what policies you must adhere to and how much time it takes away from your important priorities of passing your classes. Be responsible and professional, and scrub anything that shows the opposite. (Great examples to me are ZDoggMD and the Iowa Short Coat Podcast team.)

I already know that this will probably be a bad idea, but I wanted to ask you all what you think. I had an idea for a youtube video for my channel, but its critical of medical schools and their admissions process (that's all I'll get into for now). Would it be a bad idea to create something that is critical of medical schools even if I do the proper amount of research and act in good faith? Would that hurt my chances of admission?

• Haha
I already know that this will probably be a bad idea, but I wanted to ask you all what you think. I had an idea for a youtube video for my channel, but its critical of medical schools and their admissions process (that's all I'll get into for now). Would it be a bad idea to create something that is critical of medical schools even if I do the proper amount of research and act in good faith? Would that hurt my chances of admission?
Throwing shade like this is NOT going to win you any friends.

• Wow
Do it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
That's like telling the OP ...

Do It Devil GIF by Gordon Ramsay

I'm just going to presume you were just joking. :)

Sure, make the video but post after your acceptances ;).

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I thought about it and I think I'll be ok. I make short documentary-type videos that cover a super wide variety of topics. I think this video would just become a part of my library of content and not rock the boat too much because my channel has nothing to do with being a premed or wanting to go to med school anyway. I'm just very passionate about this particular issue and I think people need to know about it.