***\ Northwestern University Feinberg SOM Class of 2011!!! /***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I havea quick question.

Are you guys planning to attend the optional breakaway retreat on the Saturday of orientation? I am pretty torn at the moment and thought I would try to gauge current interest in solicit opinions from those who have done it in the past. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

i just had my form and check sent out today. seems pretty interesting. though i'd def like to hear some past experience.

I don't think I am going to the retreat. It does sound interesting, and the past students gave some good reviews, but my parents are coming up for White Coat ceremony and staying for the weekend. Hope everyone else has fun though, probably a good experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a tip: the only relevant experiences are those from the class of 2010. Before that breakaway was different than it is now. Thus I will refrain from telling you about what my class did.

Just a tip: the only relevant experiences are those from the class of 2010. Before that breakaway was different than it is now. Thus I will refrain from telling you about what my class did.

interesting... i was hoping for a camping trip :laugh:

I'm in the same situation as 500free. I have family coming for the ceremony so I can't make the retreat. Hope you guys have fun!
On a different note, does anyone know what they're doing about their gym? I saw that we get a discount at a nearby one, but the yelp reviews aren't very good.

the students i talked to during second look wknd all liked the facility. the discount was huge-something like $200/yr instead of regular membership of $200/mon. i'm not all that picky about the gym... all i really need is a bunch dumbbells, a basketball court, and maybe a swimming pool. :thumbup:
on the other hand, i still haven't found info on where to sign up.

the students i talked to during second look wknd all liked the facility. the discount was huge-something like $200/yr instead of regular membership of $200/mon. i'm not all that picky about the gym... all i really need is a bunch dumbbells, a basketball court, and maybe a swimming pool. :thumbup:
on the other hand, i still haven't found info on where to sign up.

Hey yobynaes,

Here's some info I got regarding the gym:

The local gym is Holmes Place, and their website is www.holmesplaceus.com (if anyone wants to check it out).

There will also be a representative from Holmes Place at our Activities Fair on Wednesday during orientation. I think you will be able to sign up once you have your NU ID card (wildcard ?)...

does anyone know if the school offers discounted CTA passes?

anyone living in lincoln park?

i strongly considered it -maybe will again next year- until i finally gave up on trying to find a roommate w/o knowing anybody... got a place in the gold coast.

questionable, i don't believe med students are getting UPass though some of the current students say that they are pushing for it. There're requirements for minimum percentage of students living a certain number of miles away from campus which feinberg students didn't qualify. however, i heard law students do have upass.

NN and SM, thanks for the info.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if we can go ahead and sign up, or we do have to wait until orientation as was suggested earlier? I ask because the info at the posted link said you had to apply by the 22nd to be able to use the center in the following month.

I emailed Jennifer Langland about this. Here's what i got:
you can sign up now if you’d like however your membership starts on September 1. The application and waiver you need to complete are on their website and then you would send in your payment along with that to their address listed. hope that make sense.

I emailed Jennifer Langland about this. Here's what i got:
you can sign up now if you’d like however your membership starts on September 1. The application and waiver you need to complete are on their website and then you would send in your payment along with that to their address listed. hope that make sense.

Thanks for checking on that...I'll go ahead and sign up.

Hi everyone! Get excited about Northwestern, the first few weeks of first year are amazing! I'm in the class of 2010 and thought I'd give you my thoughts on some of the previous posts. First, I completely second what was said about books...DON'T go buy everything they require or recommend until you talk to some of the older students. It is impossible to read them all and not necessary, not to mention that it will run you over $1000. I know I wanted to buy all the books last year because I wanted to start off "right" and be on top of things, but between all the material they give you with the syllabus and lecture, you really only need a few books. I highly recommend Rohen and Netter for anatomy and Costanza for physiology. Costanza makes a textbook which I used and is great for reading and understanding concepts, and she also has a BRS book which has fantastic practice questions and is in outline format, and is pretty consistent with our class notes. Second, Holmes place (the gym) is amazing...not sure why it got bad reviews. I would definitely take advantage of it...only $120 for the year while the public pays close to $100/month. All the classes are free and if you like to swim laps, the pool is fantastic. Finally, I did not attend the breakaway retreat last year (was recovering from knee surgery), but a bunch of my friends did and said they had a lot of fun. All in all, get ready for a great O-week and if you have any questions/concerns, feel free to PM me. See you in a few weeks!!

Thanks for all of the gym info everyone! It seems pretty close to campus and that's location is one of my concerns, especially in the winter.
Orientation is getting close. I'm getting excited (and nervous). See everyone in 11 days!:eek:

just got the keys to my apt on chestnut st and I'm moving in tomorrow. i took a walk up north along the lake today... damn, it was awesome!! still can't believe im living here, haha. :laugh:

just got the keys to my apt on chestnut st and I'm moving in tomorrow. i took a walk up north along the lake today... damn, it was awesome!! still can't believe im living here, haha. :laugh:

Hey yobynaes, where on chestnut are you living? I'm living at 215 e. chestnut, so I guess you'll be a neighbor.

Hey yobynaes, where on chestnut are you living? I'm living at 215 e. chestnut, so I guess you'll be a neighbor.

lol, if you live in the penthouse on 22nd floor, then you are my roommate... otherwise, yeah, we live in the same building. this is like "guess who" game. :laugh:

lol, if you live in the penthouse on 22nd floor, then you are my roommate... otherwise, yeah, we live in the same building. this is like "guess who" game. :laugh:

Ummm I guess we are roommates...I had a sneaking suspicion that this would happen.

I Holler C/O 2011!!! :D

So I'm the other one living in Abbott Hall (I think there's just 2 of us). Definitley agree with Yo that the lake is awesome. Eventhough I've got a sweet direct view of some office building, if I crane my neck and squint a lot some mini-waves are definitely visible!

Missed 2nd-look so I've got some catching up to do. PM if you want to get a drink or three sometime this w/e. Otherwise, see y'all at Orientation on Monday.

P.s. Thanks Buff, UCLAMAN, luhando, FrankGK for all the helpful info.

Hey Hey Class of 2011 homies!

So excited to be starting O-week/classes and meeting all you guys soon! I live in Lakeshore Plaza and have been here since Aug 1, so I've been soaking up as much Chi-town flava as possible, and it's been amazing. I'm definitely down to go out for some drinks also sometime before orientation (possibly copious amounts if anyone is game...I come from a big party school, so I brought my drinking problem out with me to Chicago, :D)!

*** ADD YOURSELF TO LIST BELOW (Copy/paste/whatever...not sure exactly how it's done) ***

Alright, so going out for drinks is ON for tonight (Fri) or tomorrow (Sat), depending on how fast we get a crowd.

So far we got: canne, bifstizzle, dvz2102.

Location: Ugh..I dunno. Lincoln Park has lots of bars - we can wander around until we find something. Any other ideas?

It'd be awesome if some M2's and up joined us. We'll buy you drinks! I'm buying you guys at least 2 rounds foh sho!

im down for saturday night

*** ADD YOURSELF TO LIST BELOW (Copy/paste/whatever...not sure exactly how it's done) ***

Alright, so going out for drinks is ON for tonight (Fri) or tomorrow (Sat), depending on how fast we get a crowd.

So far we got: canne, bifstizzle, dvz2102.

Location: Ugh..I dunno. Lincoln Park has lots of bars - we can wander around until we find something. Any other ideas?

It'd be awesome if some M2's and up joined us. We'll buy you drinks! I'm buying you guys at least 2 rounds foh sho!

Hey guys,
I'm an M2 at Northwestern...

dvz, I wish I read your post earlier, I would have definately taken you up on those 2 drinks, haha. Anyways, there are plenty of bars planned for the up coming week. You guys will definately get a good feel for Chicago nightlife during orientation week. I think the bar schdule should be handed out on monday, so you'll know everything that is going on very soon. I hope you guys are enjoying chicago already, even though the sun isn't out.

hey all,
getting my stuff together now since I'm not a morning person and I realized that out of all the emails NU sent us, nothing said what the dress code was for orientation. I know some schools are professional dress the first day. But since they said nothing, I'm guessing we can dress casual, right?

yup, casual dress is expected. you will know when you have to dress up... you will be lectured about it beforehand, haha.

You've been offered the chance to spend your 4 years of medical school studying in one of the two world-class cities in the United States. Don't screw-up the opportunity.