General Admissions & OTCAS North Carolina Schools & Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ader1129

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I haven’t heard much about OT schools in NC, so I wanted to start this forum to discuss stats, acceptances, and any advice/tips for applications!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Following! I'm applying to UNC, ECU, WSSU, MUSC, and LR Columbia. I'd love to connect with any other applicants on here! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Also following! I applied to UNC and Methodist University! Nice meeting y'all ☺

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I applied to Duke OTD and UNC :)

My stats are psychology major 3.997 GPA, prerequisite GPA of 4.0, no GRE, one letter of recommendation from an OTR, two from professors, and one from a professional capacity. I have experience as a research assistant, experience as a special education student teacher, 46 hours as an ot volunteer in outpatient pediatrics (was hoping to get more but ...COVID :/. ), and around 30 hours of experience through the NCOTA fall conference.

Last edited:
I got my email from UNC around 5pm! I unfortunately did not get an interview though. What about everybody else?!

I got my email from UNC around 5pm! I unfortunately did not get an interview though. What about everybody else?!
I'm sorry to hear about that! I got my interview invitation an hour ago.

Hi there! I received an email on Friday that I got at interview at UNC :) how is everyone else doing?

Reactions: 2 users
I received an acceptance from ECU on Friday, and I will be accepting my seat as ECU is my top choice! :) good luck to everybody else throughout the rest of this process!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I received an email on Friday that I got at interview at UNC :) how is everyone else doing?
Awesome! Me too :). How are you feeling about the upcoming interview? I can't decide if it feels more or less intimidating to be doing the 2 faculty interviews over zoom as opposed to in person.

Awesome! Me too :). How are you feeling about the upcoming interview? I can't decide if it feels more or less intimidating to be doing the 2 faculty interviews over zoom as opposed to in person.
Hi there! I’m nervous! I feel like you get a better impression in person, but since these are 20 minutes long hopefully they’ll get a good feel for our personality. I’ve already had an interview with another school over zoom and it seemed to go well, so hopefully this one will too. What about you?

Hi there! I’m nervous! I feel like you get a better impression in person, but since these are 20 minutes long hopefully they’ll get a good feel for our personality. I’ve already had an interview with another school over zoom and it seemed to go well, so hopefully this one will too. What about you?
I agree! I'm more apprehensive to be having a zoom interview than I would be an in-person interview. It also would have been really nice to be able to attend the in-person session to talk with current students in the program. I know that the admissions coordinator sent out a second email on the 21st with three zoom times that we can use to chat with her and ask questions, but do you know whether or not those three session times will be the opportunity to talk with current students that was mentioned in the initial interview invitation? Also good luck to you with your interview!!

I agree! I'm more apprehensive to be having a zoom interview than I would be an in-person interview. It also would have been really nice to be able to attend the in-person session to talk with current students in the program. I know that the admissions coordinator sent out a second email on the 21st with three zoom times that we can use to chat with her and ask questions, but do you know whether or not those three session times will be the opportunity to talk with current students that was mentioned in the initial interview invitation? Also good luck to you with your interview!!
The way I interpreted the email is that she is working on setting up times with the current students specifically and that the ones that she gave us were specifically for speaking with her. Good luck to you as well!

Congratulations on your acceptance :) is that your top choice?
Thank you! And I was honestly trying to get into any program out of desperation so I didn't really have a top choice 😅 But this university is located in my hometown, so I'm pretty familiar with the area, of course.

Hello! Has anyone else had their unc interview yet? I feel like mine went pretty well and that it was a positive experience, although I was super nervous so who knows how I really came across lol. I was pleasantly surprised by how conversational the process felt.

Hello! Has anyone else had their unc interview yet? I feel like mine went pretty well and that it was a positive experience, although I was super nervous so who knows how I really came across lol. I was pleasantly surprised by how conversational the process felt.
Hi there! Yes, I had my interview. I really enjoyed mine actually and felt like it was a conversation as well! I'm hoping for good results! Good luck to you as well!

Accepted to Lenoir Rhyne Hickory & Columbia! Has anyone else received acceptance?

Accepted to Lenoir Rhyne Hickory & Columbia! Has anyone else received acceptance?
Same! Doesn't even feel real, considering there was no interview lol. Are you planning on accepting the offer?

Same! Doesn't even feel real, considering there was no interview lol. Are you planning on accepting the offer?
I am waiting to hear back from Winston Salem because that’s my top choice! I hope to hear back before submitting the deposit!
Where else have you applied?

Has anyone heard back from Winston Salem? I haven’t heard any updates from them lately!

I got my acceptance letter from WSSU on Monday!
I haven’t heard anything. Do you know if they’re sending acceptances in waves? Did you receive an email or an actual letter in the mail?

I haven’t heard anything. Do you know if they’re sending acceptances in waves? Did you receive an email or an actual letter in the mail?
I don’t know about that. I received an email. I hope you hear back soon!

Do you mind sharing your stats?
I don’t!
Overall gpa: 3.88
prereq gpa: 3.7
GRE analytical 3.0
40 hours OT observation
Over 700 hours in a research lab
Over 3500 hours working with children (my employment)

I don’t!
Overall gpa: 3.88
prereq gpa: 3.7
GRE analytical 3.0
40 hours OT observation
Over 700 hours in a research lab
Over 3500 hours working with children (my employment)
When did you submit your application? Last question! I hope I hear back soon!

When did you submit your application? Last question! I hope I hear back soon!
My application was verified Dec 16th and then wssu received all documentation and fees Jan 11th. I hope you hear back as well!!

congrats!!! do you mind sharing your stats?
Hey there! Not at all!
overall gpa: 3.88
GRE: 157 verbal, 149 quant, 4.0 written
35 hours OT observation
I worked for two years in a pediatric rehab clinic, so I have a lot of experience on the clerical side of things, I was also a therapy tech for a while.

And thanks :)

Hey there! Just received my acceptance to UNC!! Anyone else???
Hi! Congrats everyone! I was also accepted and confirmed a spot at UNC! Does anyone know if there is any sort of class group chat or FB page yet? Would love to connect with other students.

Hi! Congrats everyone! I was also accepted and confirmed a spot at UNC! Does anyone know if there is any sort of class group chat or FB page yet? Would love to connect with other students.
Hey! I haven't received notice about any official group chat or FB group yet for our cohort. Although, I hope there is one bc I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone :).

I haven't heard anything yet either! But I'd love to either make one or keep an eye out for one. Looking forward to getting to know everyone :)

Same!! I really hope they give some info soon. I'm ready to meet new people :)