NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious about the mechanisms through which NIMHD awardees were approved, thus far (e.g., Clinical Research, Health Disparities Research, etc.). It looks like at least one person is being awarded through the CR mechanism.

I should clarify that mine is also Health Disparities Research (but I do clinical not basic research)

Thanks to everyone for sharing on this forum, it's been very helpful! I'm afraid it may be a long shot at this point, but has anyone heard any news regarding renewal applications for the NIMH (Clinical Research) LRP? They're doing upgrades to the website and I can't log-in and obsessively check :)

I called this morning and received the standard non-specific response, which is something to the effect of "the process is still ongoing, and you may or may not hear any day now"

Anyone who could share their experience with NIMH CR (and renewals especially) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received official email that my NIDA-CR 2nd time renewal is not going to be funded. :( But, at least I got 3 years of funding and now am <10k in loans....so freeing up some LRP money for someone else. Best of luck to everyone!

Also want to note they told me at 5pm on a Friday...lovely.

No funding for me either (had a first time clinical research application to NIA). Too bad!

Has anyone heard from the NIH for the 2015 application cycle?

I think it's a bit early yet. In the past, I have not heard if I passed the initial stage of review until the middle or end of May.

I applied for the 2015 cycle and am waiting as well.

However I did recently get an e-mail alerting me to prepare to submit loan documentation if I do get selected for financial review, so I'm trying to wrangle those documents now. Who knew getting a promissory note would be such a hassle?

Got the doc prep alert email too. Trying to get this material together and logged in today to see my status is "Pending Review" -- is that what the status starts at after you initially submit your application? I don't remember.

Yes. It is very positive if you get the financial review. But still not a sure thing. Would you mind posting the Institute/LRP type you applied for?

Not me - but I know someone who applied to the Pediatric IC and got notice of financial review a couple of weeks ago. I applied to Clinical Research and have heard nothing....

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same email pavlove received. Is this something that everyone received? And for the record, I got a financial review last year, then did not get funded.

Got the doc prep alert email too. Trying to get this material together and logged in today to see my status is "Pending Review" -- is that what the status starts at after you initially submit your application? I don't remember.

To clarify, I got the document prep alert email pavlove was talking about, not an email stating I was under financial review. I was just trying to clarify if (a) everyone received this email and (b) the "Pending Review" status that shows up when I login was the same it has always been and not an updated status.

As far as I know, everyone who applied for the LRP got the doc prep e-mail. I also believe that my application has been "Pending Review" since I submitted it.

Yeah. No one that I know has gotten the 'financial review' email yet.

I received the same email pavlove received. Is this something that everyone received? And for the record, I got a financial review last year, then did not get funded.
wow sorry to hear that. still have not heard anything this year.

I applied for renewal this cycle and got the financial review email (Clinical Research) on May 12th. When I applied the first time (in fall of 2013), I didn't get the financial review email until May 31st, according to my archived emails. :)

I applied for renewal this cycle and got the financial review email (Clinical Research) on May 12th. When I applied the first time (in fall of 2013), I didn't get the financial review email until May 31st, according to my archived emails. :)

i applied clinical research, friend applied to NIMHD but no email yet... we both are new applicants.

i applied clinical research, friend applied to NIMHD but no email yet... we both are new applicants.

I applied to clinical research, assigned NICHD, and received email requesting documents for financial review on 5/13/16. Anyone know how likely it is to get funded once you get to the financial review stage?

By the way, is anyone having trouble logging into the LRP website?

I'm also not able to log into the LRP site.

People have shared that they received financial review and then no award, but I'm curious about the opposite - no financial review and then awarded? Just curious...

I'm also not able to log into the LRP site.

People have shared that they received financial review and then no award, but I'm curious about the opposite - no financial review and then awarded? Just curious...

That would never happen. You must do financial review.

Has anyone heard about financial review this year? My colleague who did NIDKK got asked to do a financial review about a week ago. I applied to NIDA - nothing yet. Past history suggests it happens at different times for different agencies. Curious who has been asked to do financial review and what agency they were asked to be assigned to.

I applied this year through the Health Disparities/NIMHD mechanism and have yet to receive any word on financial review. I also have colleagues who applied through Clinical and Pediatric (Specific ICs include NIDA, NIMH, and NICHD) and likewise, none have heard back. However, one colleague did apply through the Pediatric Research mechanism (through NIEHS) and got financial review email last week. Anyone have any other updates?

I applied this year through the Health Disparities/NIMHD mechanism and have yet to receive any word on financial review. I also have colleagues who applied through Clinical and Pediatric (Specific ICs include NIDA, NIMH, and NICHD) and likewise, none have heard back. However, one colleague did apply through the Pediatric Research mechanism (through NIEHS) and got financial review email last week. Anyone have any other updates?

Yes, I applied through Clinical Research to NICHD and received notcied for financial review on 5/13/16.

I applied to clinical research, assigned NICHD, and received email requesting documents for financial review on 5/13/16. Anyone know how likely it is to get funded once you get to the financial review stage?

I also applied to Clinical Research, but was assigned to NIMHD, and received the email requesting financial documents on 5/6/16. I'm still plugging away trying to get the right documents to them and it appears I have uploaded the final one today that should do the trick. Have you uploaded all documents? Once they documents uploaded are "Complete," do you know what the process is following this? Also, I'm curious as to what is likely to happen after this stage in terms of likelihood of funding. Sounds like a mixed response, but overall a general high likelihood of receiving funding?

I also applied to Clinical Research, but was assigned to NIMHD, and received the email requesting financial documents on 5/6/16. I'm still plugging away trying to get the right documents to them and it appears I have uploaded the final one today that should do the trick. Have you uploaded all documents? Once they documents uploaded are "Complete," do you know what the process is following this? Also, I'm curious as to what is likely to happen after this stage in terms of likelihood of funding. Sounds like a mixed response, but overall a general high likelihood of receiving funding?

So I did upload my first set of documents (I thought was complete) and they took about 15 days to review - I got an email about what was "verified" versus what additional information I needed to upload. In my case, it was something documenting the "payoff amount" (principal + accrued interest). I uploaded additional information last week and am still waiting to hear whether that completes the necessarily financial review. I did notice on the LRP site that someone from my institution had signed on and verified my salary last week. I have no idea likelihood of funding at this point and my understanding is that it could take until end of August to hear one way or another. Either way, I think getting financial review is a necessary "next step" to move forward in the consideration process. I applied last year and did not get to the financial review stage so I'm remaining hopeful. Good luck!

If the IC has sent out financial review--did those who didn't get it from that same IC not qualify for it or is it a possibility that one may still get financial review? thanks

A colleague of mine applied last funding cycle through Clinical Research and assigned to NIDA, and didn't actually go through financial review until July, and she ended up getting awarded the LRP. Everyone else I know who got it the last two cycles didn't go through financial review until June, so who knows. I don't think not hearing just yet is necessarily a bad thing.

Hi All,

I applied through the health disparities section and received a financial review request last night. I received a request around this time last year, but was not funded. Hopefully I will have better luck this year.

Hi All,

I applied through the health disparities section and received a financial review request last night. I received a request around this time last year, but was not funded. Hopefully I will have better luck this year.

Sweet. have friend who applied to health disparities as well, but she did not get financial review yet. did you ever find out why you were not funded. curious as to why they would not fund vs fund. i just have one publication.

im still waiting on NIDDK. friends also waiting on NIMHD and NIA. Just not clear what they mean by rolling app evaluation.

Interestingly, I just spoke to a friend who I didn't realize had applied for renewal this cycle and they just heard back that they were awarded (not financial review, but awarded). Sounds like they may go through the renewal applications first and then move on to new applications?

Sweet. have friend who applied to health disparities as well, but she did not get financial review yet. did you ever find out why you were not funded. curious as to why they would not fund vs fund. i just have one publication.

im still waiting on NIDDK. friends also waiting on NIMHD and NIA. Just not clear what they mean by rolling app evaluation.

Enteroid, I was essentially told that my application was stellar, but that they ultimately decided to not award me because they thought I was not in a strong enough department, and thus would not have enough "support" from the department. I was shocked by this, to be honest, because (in theory) that meant that there was nothing that I could do to increase my chances of being awarded except for changing institutions. Interestingly, I am in the process of moving to a (significantly) stronger institution, but I'm now worried that the fact that I am in the middle of a transition will impact my ability to receive funding. Does anyone know of anyone who has gone through a change-of-institution process, and still been awarded? I'm hoping that this change (as well as the fact that I have 10 more publications this year) will increase my chances of getting funded!

That would never happen. You must do financial review.

Interestingly, I just spoke to a friend who I didn't realize had applied for renewal this cycle and they just heard back that they were awarded (not financial review, but awarded). Sounds like they may go through the renewal applications first and then move on to new applications?

I thought I had heard an anecdote at some point of funding with no financial review happening (hence my earlier question); can't recall if the person who shared this information was completing an initial application or renewal.

Hoping that NIMH still has some financial review notifications to send out...

Yeah, I have two friends who also heard back they were awarded (through NIMHD) but they were renewal applications (so apparently there is no financial review). I'm hoping that means that NIMHD is now moving on to working on new applicants.

when one can see the institutional person's last log on there account page does it mean they logged in for that particular applicant/account for whatever reason or for anyone at that particular school?

when one can see the institutional person's last log on there account page does it mean they logged in for that particular applicant/account for whatever reason or for anyone at that particular school?

It means they logged in to your personal account. Usually they log-in to verify your salary.

It means they logged in to your personal account. Usually they log-in to verify your salary.
that's interesting they logged in last week and this week and still nothing from LRP. oh well.

Two updates that may inform people:

1. Had a snag with my financial review concerning providing the details of a MPN for a consolidated loan. My lender would only provide certain pages of the MPN with a supplemental letter with details for the loans consolidated. At first, the NIH kicked it back saying it wouldn't suffice for the financial review, but after calling and speaking with them they accepted the letter in place of the original MPN. If anyone has trouble with this, I'm happy to provide more information.

2. Received an email today that my financial review is completed and "we are expecting NIH to be making their funding decisions by late July. You may review the status of your loan documents on your online Application Status page."

Two updates that may inform people:

1. Had a snag with my financial review concerning providing the details of a MPN for a consolidated loan. My lender would only provide certain pages of the MPN with a supplemental letter with details for the loans consolidated. At first, the NIH kicked it back saying it wouldn't suffice for the financial review, but after calling and speaking with them they accepted the letter in place of the original MPN. If anyone has trouble with this, I'm happy to provide more information.

2. Received an email today that my financial review is completed and "we are expecting NIH to be making their funding decisions by late July. You may review the status of your loan documents on your online Application Status page."

thanks for sharing your experience and glad you were able to get it all worked out. Late July seems pretty soon for funding decisions and makes me feel a bit less optimistic for those of us who haven't heard anything yet....

thanks for sharing your experience and glad you were able to get it all worked out. Late July seems pretty soon for funding decisions and makes me feel a bit less optimistic for those of us who haven't heard anything yet....

Seriously, I have not heard a thing although my institutional person logged in last week and week before not sure for what. Also, have a few friends who applied to NIDDK, NIMHD, and someone just told me that NIA has not gotten back to them either...

From what previous awardees have told me, NIH have said they would make funding decisions by late July/early August the past two years, and people have not found out they were funded (or not funded) as late as mid September. All the folks I know who applied last year through NIMHD and were awarded the LRP didn't find out until the first week of September.

My institutional official has also logged on a few times over the course of the past few weeks. However, and not sure how true this is, but a colleague was lead to believe after speaking to our institutional official that they have one account for everyone that applied and listed them as an institutional official. In other words, the log ins may not be related to your application. Being that this institutional official contacted them to let them know they verified their salary, while I have not been contacted at all by this institutional official, even though they logged in twice into my account, makes me think this might be true.

I have not heard back yet from NIMHD either. I have friends who applied through NIAAA, NIDA, NIMH, and NICHD, and not a word, not even for financial review. Only person who got a financial review was the colleague I mentioned above who applied through NIEHS.

Last edited:
Didn't mean to be a downer! Just trying to be transparent about anything I experience one way or another. I wish everyone the best! As I would want to know anything and everything about anyone's application status I will continue to post updates as I get information about my application and hope everyone else does the same.

Didn't mean to be a downer! Just trying to be transparent about anything I experience one way or another. I wish everyone the best! As I would want to know anything and everything about anyone's application status I will continue to post updates as I get information about my application and hope everyone else does the same.

Oh you are not a downer at all - I really did mean thank you for posting your experience :) it is helpful to get some insight into the process, regardless of the outcome for me (or others) as individuals.

Hi all - I submitted a renewal this year, and have been getting a little discouraged. In the past (for both the initial LRP and renewal) I have heard around the second or third week of May. As I started seeing people hearing this year, I started to think I was not going to be renewed (I had a year in which I did not receive a renewal). However, I just received the financial review email (two days ago). So, I'm hopeful that I will get renewed. Just a note for those still waiting... keep your head up (NIDA, CR LRP, 2nd renewal).

Has anyone heard from NIDDK clinical LRP (new app?) Looks like someone earlier in the thread heard from NIDDK back in May...wondering what the means for folks who haven't heard?

Has anyone heard from NIDDK clinical LRP (new app?) Looks like someone earlier in the thread heard from NIDDK back in May...wondering what the means for folks who haven't heard?
Haven't heard from NIDDK clinical LRP either. Other applicants I know haven't heard from other ICs either. I imagine it is getting late for financial review email. Oh well.

Has anyone heard about financial review this year? My colleague who did NIDKK got asked to do a financial review about a week ago. I applied to NIDA - nothing yet. Past history suggests it happens at different times for different agencies. Curious who has been asked to do financial review and what agency they were asked to be assigned to.

Wondering if your friend who did NIDDK applied for a new app or renewal?