NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MemberNumber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about their LRP application (if anyone here applied recently)? I know at least one of the ICs for this program has sent notifications, but apparently they come at different times for different ICs. Just curious if others have heard, and what IC they specifically applied to. Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I applied in the fall, and I heard a week ago that mine passed the first stage of review. I applied to Clinical Research under NIDA.

Do you mean it was on Tuesday specifically, or later in the week? I heard that another IC gave notice on Friday. I'm hoping my IC hasn't given notice yet, basically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about their LRP application (if anyone here applied recently)? I know at least one of the ICs for this program has sent notifications, but apparently they come at different times for different ICs. Just curious if others have heard, and what IC they specifically applied to. Thanks for any info!

I heard that I passed the first round of review the last week of May (IC: NICHD, at least that was the IC that I requested). So, I suspect you are correct that the individual ICs send out notifications on different timelines. It appeared from the email that NIH would not make final funding decisions till late July?

Have you logged on to the website to see if your status changed? I know that at least one of my emails from NIH was redirected to the spam folder before I added it to my contact list.

Anyone heard any updates?

I am also NICHD and got the financial review over Memorial Day weekend. Took a month to get all the docs together (they kept asking for a missing page from one servicer).

They said it would be late July, but possibly into August. Also somewhat funny that they said that not all people who get the award get asked for a financial review, but that is not what the website says.

This is my third time applying. Last year I had great reviews (all very positive), so I'm hoping this is the year.

This is my third time applying. Last year I had great reviews (all very positive), so I'm hoping this is the year.

Did you get asked for a financial review last year? Several of the people I've talked to say that if you get asked for a financial review then it's likely you'll get the award, but I know of one person who was asked for financial review last year but did NOT get the award (and didn't hear about it until September). Granted, my N is very small. Anyone else have any intel on this?

Mine (a pediatric LRP application assigned to NIMH) is still pending.

Did you get asked for a financial review last year? Several of the people I've talked to say that if you get asked for a financial review then it's likely you'll get the award, but I know of one person who was asked for financial review last year but did NOT get the award (and didn't hear about it until September). Granted, my N is very small. Anyone else have any intel on this?

No, I have never gotten as far as a financial review. I have an n of 1 as well...she got a financial review and got it.

I'm thinking that it's similar to regular funding mechanisms. They identify the ones that they want to fund and then they get all the numbers and just start going down and funding.

I've been paying on mine for years, so I'm down to only owing about 52K. I'm hoping they'll take pity since I don't even need the full 2 years of funding :)

September? Yikes! I've been emailing back and forth with them a lot over the last month (I had to get all my docs while I was abroad) and they said it was late-July, but it could be delayed until August.

I am checking every.single.day. Sometimes (OK, all the time) twice a day!

I think the friend who got the LRP last year heard in early-mid August. It was the one who didn't get it who didn't hear until September...she thinks that she was at the bottom of the list and they took awhile to realize they didn't enough $ to fund her. Here's hoping we hear something soon!

That makes sense. I had a similar thing happen with an F32 grant. It eventually got funded when they realized they had the extra budget.

I'll keep checking every day. I am cautiously optimistic given the financial review. But I am definitely not counting my chickens.

Has anyone heard from NHLBI - if so, did you get the financial review email also?

I submitted an extramural pediatric LRP application to the NIDDK. I got the financial review request in May. I just asked when applicants would be notified about the funding decision, and here was their reply:

"Applications are still currently undergoing review. Traditionally, final funding decisions are made in late July/early August, but it is expected to be later this year and applicants will be notified at that time. Please keep an eye on your email and Application Status tab for further updates and/or requests for information."

I guess I have to quell my impatience somehow...

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted an extramural pediatric LRP application to the NIDDK. I got the financial review request in May. I just asked when applicants would be notified about the funding decision, and here was their reply:

"Applications are still currently undergoing review. Traditionally, final funding decisions are made in late July/early August, but it is expected to be later this year and applicants will be notified at that time. Please keep an eye on your email and Application Status tab for further updates and/or requests for information."

I guess I have to quell my impatience somehow...

Good to know. A colleague of mine received a funding notice from NCI last week so I was convinced that my NIDDK application didn't make the cut. Maybe there is still hope!

I submitted an extramural clinical LRP application to NIA. I got the financial review request in June. I still have not heard anything re: a funding decision.

I submitted to NICHD and haven't heard yet. I always thought that this was more of a universal thing as opposed to being handled by specific agencies. But maybe it is agency specific. Still checking every day!

I didn't receive an email, but as of today my NIDCD renewal shows up as "Approved" in Funding Status and the Participant account shows the newly scheduled payments.

Same for me.

I didn't receive an email, but as of today my NIDCD renewal shows up as "Approved" in Funding Status and the Participant account shows the newly scheduled payments.

Still waiting for word on my Pediatric LRP application to NICHD.... With other having gotten approval as early as two weeks ago, along with a repayment schedule, it's starting to feel a little less likely, but I'm still hoping....

Still waiting for word on my Pediatric LRP application to NICHD.... With other having gotten approval as early as two weeks ago, along with a repayment schedule, it's starting to feel a little less likely, but I'm still hoping....

I am also waiting to hear on the approval on my ped lRP to NICHD. When you say "others" getting approval, are you referring to others got approval for their NICHD or other institutes?

I am also waiting to hear on the approval on my ped lRP to NICHD. When you say "others" getting approval, are you referring to others got approval for their NICHD or other institutes?

Opps, sorry about that, I was referring to hearing from other institutes... I don't actually personally know anyone else applying for a LRP to NICHD.

I'm still waiting to hear about my infertility/contraception application. This is my first year applying, and I did not get a financial review request, so I'm thinking it might not be my year. For those who have gotten to financial review, do any of you only have federal direct loans? A small part of me is hoping that they don't need a review request on these loans, as you'd think the government could talk to itself, but I know I'm probably expecting too much ;)

Ellie - All of my loans were federal. It was a huge PITA, especially since Direct Loan sold off everything to other lenders. That new lender couldn't find the original promissory note. It took almost a month.

That said....still no updates on my pediatric NICHD.

I emailed them today and got this response:

Traditionally, final funding decisions are made in late July/early August, but it is expected to be delayed this year and applicants will be notified at that time. We are hoping that it will be by the end of this month or early next month, but we do not know exactly when for sure. Please keep an eye on your email and Application Status tab for further updates and/or requests for information.

When I asked if it was specific to an IC, they just said they can only say that my application is under review.

Congrats! Nothing here, so maybe not my year again :(

Congrats! Nothing here, so maybe not my year again :(
Congrats as well. I have been told that getting the financial review is a high likelihood of funding. I may be one of the rare cases that got the financial review and not funded. Uggh... I am wondering if they are still making decisions as I wait on the Ped NICHD LRP.

Congrats as well. I have been told that getting the financial review is a high likelihood of funding. I may be one of the rare cases that got the financial review and not funded. Uggh... I am wondering if they are still making decisions as I wait on the Ped NICHD LRP.

You are not alone. I am also waiting on Ped NICHD. I got the financial review for the first time and thought I had a shot. Still no update in my online profile.

Has anyone had their online profiles update to "funded" or "not funded" this week? If so, what LRP program did you apply to?

Well, I went to log on this morning and was told my password was for a previous application year. So I'm guessing it's all done now and I was that small minority that got a financial review and no funding :(

Well, I went to log on this morning and was told my password was for a previous application year. So I'm guessing it's all done now and I was that small minority that got a financial review and no funding :(
You are not alone... I also got a financial review and never got any notification (funding or not funded). This is very frustrating, as I wish I could know either way. I am going to contact them on TUES. I also know of a few others that got financial review and did not hear anything back.

I emailed and got a response. They said we won't be able to access because the new system is open. They expect all final funding decision emails to be sent out this week or next week. But I'm not expecting anything positive at this point.

Not sure if this helps, but I just got notification on Sunday (and it was positive) so they aren't done with awards.

Reactions: 1 user
Formal rejection email: Pediatric LRP @ NIMH

Guess there is always next year.

Has anyone heard anything yet regarding this year's application cycle?

It's my first year applying (NICHD) and I haven't heard anything. Going crazy. How likely is it to be funded if you haven't heard about financial review by now? Looks like from 2014 posts, final decisions might not be received until late August.

It's my first year applying (NICHD) and I haven't heard anything. Going crazy. How likely is it to be funded if you haven't heard about financial review by now? Looks like from 2014 posts, final decisions might not be received until late August.

I would think you would hear back sooner this year than we did last year. Last year our application due date and review was delayed by a month or more due to the sequestration. Hopefully for you, this will mean a more expedited response on you app.

Good luck!

I was notified of a financial review for NICHD in June but no notice of award yet. Has anyone been notified of award for any IC?

I also got the financial review email in June (NIDA - CR), but haven't heard anything, and still listed as pending when I log in. It seems last year notifications went out in mid August.

Logged in today and still "Pending review". I'm applying for a renewal as well. For the first award, I was notified right at this time, almost to the day. I think notification was delayed last year due to the sequestration. Hoping it comes soon. Good luck to you.

I am a first time applicant and I got a Financial Review ("application has passed first level of review") email on July 1. This was later than the expected "May 2015" from the webinar Q&A. It said that getting to this stage was not a guarantee of funding (as others have said). I finally got all my forms in last week, and noticed today that my Funding Status is listed as "approved." I received an email today that my application "has been forwarded to the next level of review." The email also said that the institutes are currently in the process of making funding decisions, and applications that are incomplete at time of funding decisions cannot be made available for funding.

It sounds like applications that have not gone to financial review yet likely won't be funded this year, and that funding decisions on the other applications have not been made. The "first level" email said that funding decisions would be made in "late summer" based on funding priorities and budgets.

2nd renewal application for NIDA Clinical Research. No financial request yet. An email in March saying it would be referred for peer review and all applicants would be contacted after peer review.
Logged in last week, was pending review. Today, still pending review. One possible positive sign - my institutional official logged in on 7/23/15. I'm doubting they would have prompted her to log in unless I was maybe going to get financial review request/possible renewal. Last year she contacted me when this happened to verify my appointment was still valid. Not necessary this year because my re-appointment was already processed. Fingers crossed.

I am a first time applicant and I got a Financial Review ("application has passed first level of review") email on July 1. This was later than the expected "May 2015" from the webinar Q&A. It said that getting to this stage was not a guarantee of funding (as others have said). I finally got all my forms in last week, and noticed today that my Funding Status is listed as "approved." I received an email today that my application "has been forwarded to the next level of review." The email also said that the institutes are currently in the process of making funding decisions, and applications that are incomplete at time of funding decisions cannot be made available for funding. It sounds like applications that have not gone to financial review yet likely won't be funded this year, and that funding decisions on the other applications have not been made. The "first level" email said that funding decisions would be made in "late summer" based on funding priorities and budgets.

What IC did you apply to and which program (Pediatrics, Clinical, etc)? Congrats!!

Last edited:
I received my official email that I have been awarded the LRP today (a day after seeing that it was "approved" online and getting the final promissory note in, and 4 weeks after the financial review email)! I also was given access to the LRP portal. The first payment is in October 2015. I am obviously very excited!!

I applied to the clinical program (NIDDK).

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
I received my official email that I have been awarded the LRP today (a day after seeing that it was "approved" online and getting the final promissory note in, and 4 weeks after the financial review email)! I also was given access to the LRP portal. The first payment is in October 2015. I am obviously very excited!!

I applied to the clinical program (NIDDK).

Good luck everyone!

CONGRATS!! I'm at NICHD clinical, hoping to hear by Friday.

I haven't received an official email, but I logged in this morning and my application status was listed as 'approved'. Renewal application to NIDA - CR.