NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My loan status just changed to Approved. I have not yet received an e-mail from the NIH, but my obsessive checking has paid off. Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

My loan status just changed to Approved. I have not yet received an e-mail from the NIH, but my obsessive checking has paid off. Good luck everyone!!

Congrats! His and hers LRPs - must be a relief.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Obsessively checking over here too, LOL, glad to see I'm not the only one .. congrats on your approval!!! :) I'm still only seeing "Pending Review" ... hoping for good news soon!

Nice to see everyone freaking out here as well. I applied to the NHLBI CR (PhD, independent investigator, first application) and still have not heard anything.

Do you guys know if we will get reviews back on the application if we are not funded?

Nice to see everyone freaking out here as well. I applied to the NHLBI CR (PhD, independent investigator, first application) and still have not heard anything.

Do you guys know if we will get reviews back on the application if we are not funded?

From what I understand there are no detailed reviews provided. I believe you can contact the PO assigned to your application and they may be able to give some feedback.

My status also just changed to "Approved" and I was able to log into the portal, even though I haven't got the email yet! Congrats to those who have received positive outcomes and good luck to those still waiting to hear--seems like a lot of action this afternoon.

I also appreciate this blog and have been following it for several months. I submitted an application to NHLBI Pediatric Research (new application not renewal). I have completed financial review, but the status is still Pending Review. Has anyone heard from NHLBI yet that their application was funded?

I also appreciate this blog and have been following it for several months. I submitted an application to NHLBI Pediatric Research (new application not renewal). I have completed financial review, but the status is still Pending Review. Has anyone heard from NHLBI yet that their application was funded?

my new application to nhlbi is still pending review as well. seems like they are one of the last to notify in general. crossing my fingers!!!!

Still "Pending Review" from NIDDK clinical research LRP. Anyone out there heard from NIDDK?

Good luck to all still waiting and congratulations to all successful applicants!

Hello all-- I thought I'd add my experience as well. This is my second attempt applying for the NICHD LRP. Last year, I was notified of financial review 5/27/15, but on 8/28/15 was notified that I didn't get it. I talked with my PO later and he said that although I scored high, it was right at the payline so I didn't receive funding. This year, I was notified of financial review 5/12/16 and as of yesterday, my status changed from "Funding Pending" to "Approved," although I have not received any contact from the NIH. I'm a little worried it's going to be the same situation as last year where I received a favorable score and was approved for funding, but only if enough funding was available. I guess I'm going to learn to be patient!

Hello all-- I thought I'd add my experience as well. This is my second attempt applying for the NICHD LRP. Last year, I was notified of financial review 5/27/15, but on 8/28/15 was notified that I didn't get it. I talked with my PO later and he said that although I scored high, it was right at the payline so I didn't receive funding. This year, I was notified of financial review 5/12/16 and as of yesterday, my status changed from "Funding Pending" to "Approved," although I have not received any contact from the NIH. I'm a little worried it's going to be the same situation as last year where I received a favorable score and was approved for funding, but only if enough funding was available. I guess I'm going to learn to be patient!
My status changed to approved yesterday and no official email from NIH yet. But, on the log in page there is a separate log in for awardees and I was able to log into that as soon as my status changed and see the date and amount of my first loan payment.

Congrats! I'm still seeing "Pending Review" myself (I'm a first time application to the NIMH LRP). Can you explain what they meant by your application was "right at the payline?" Is that in reference to awards being funded for the entire "pot" of LRP money and your's not making the cut (basically they ran out of money so to speak) or is it in reference to your salary? Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Would you mind sharing if you applied to the Pediatric Research or Clinical Research program? I completed financial review for NICHD Pediatric in May, but am still stuck in pending review status. Thanks in advance!

I still haven't received any notification for financial review, nor has my status changed online (says "pending"). The NIMH will review my application. Have others who submitted to NIMH heard back about financial review, approval, or rejection?

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm still seeing "Pending Review" myself (I'm a first time application to the NIMH LRP). Can you explain what they meant by your application was "right at the payline?" Is that in reference to awards being funded for the entire "pot" of LRP money and your's not making the cut (basically they ran out of money so to speak) or is it in reference to your salary? Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Exactly the first statement you made-- it sounds like they approve a certain number of applications after scientific and financial review, and then depending on how much funding they actually end up with (which often isn't known until the end of our application process), they will fund a certain number of those "approved" applicants. From what I was told, my application was good, but not good enough to be one that got that funding. Good luck!

Would you mind sharing if you applied to the Pediatric Research or Clinical Research program? I completed financial review for NICHD Pediatric in May, but am still stuck in pending review status. Thanks in advance!

I actually did NICHD Contraception and Infertility, so its very possible my study section met first. The waiting is miserable...

Wait, did your application go to "Approved" last year? I have assumed that "Approved" means you got it....there is often a 24 to 36 hour time lag from when the application website is updated to when you get the official email from NIH. My impression is that if you're on the payline, you won't get that Approved status--that is only for people who receive the funding (but what do I know?)

Wait, did your application go to "Approved" last year? I have assumed that "Approved" means you got it....there is often a 24 to 36 hour time lag from when the application website is updated to when you get the official email from NIH. My impression is that if you're on the payline, you won't get that Approved status--that is only for people who receive the funding (but what do I know?)

I certainly hope that's the case! I wasn't sneaky enough last year to check my status as obsessively as I am this year so I don't know if the status ever switched. Hopefully it didn't and the "approved" means it's really happening this time around.

Thanks for all the great info, I've been visiting this thread for a month trying to get news of awards! By any chance, has anyone applied through NCATS and heard anything?

I just noticed that someone on the thread noted that the LRP representative said decision would be made at the latest by Friday of this week. By chance, has anyone heard anything new? NHLBI Pediatrics pending application here.

I had a colleague speak with the NIMHD PO last week and they stated that funding decisions could come as late as late Aug/early Sept. Seems like they are behind.

Yeah, the people at LRP said they "plan" to have all funding decisions done by this Friday... that doesn't mean they "will." Also, I know someone through NIAAA-CR that was notified of funding last week (Thursday I believe). So that can be added to the list.

Has anyone heard from NIDDK yet?

I have not heard of anything either way for NIDDK. Has anyone heard back or heard of colleagues receiving decisions on new applications to NIDA?

Has anyone heard from NIDDK yet?
I applied to NIDDK (first attempt) and have not heard any decision. Please update here if you hear either way and I will do the same! Thanks.

My status changed to "approved" today. No official word from NIH yet though. Good luck to everyone else.

Has anyone heard anything from NIMHD?

Nothing for me from NIMHD, nor the 4 or 5 other folks that I know that applied through that mechanism. One of my colleagues did get financial review back in June though through NIMHD.

Thank you everyone for updating on this feed. It is so helpful for those, like myself, who are anxiously waiting for their decision. Did anyone hear anything from NHLBI yet?

Hi everyone, just found this thread while googling obsessively about notification dates, thought I would chime in with my experience:
New CR application to NCI this year.
Notified on 5/14/16 for financial review.
On May 18 I got an email from the LRP institutional contact at my university to my department admin and CC-ed to me that said:

"can you please verify that Dr. X's base salary is still to be $XXXXX as of July 1st?
This applicant has been recommended for the award pending availability of funds. I need to submit confirming information into their system by July 1st. "
Submitted everything and got a status update on 6/14/16 that my documentation was complete and approved.

I've heard nothing since, and still "Pending Review" online. Hoping I make the payline!!

Thank you everyone for updating on this feed. It is so helpful for those, like myself, who are anxiously waiting for their decision. Did anyone hear anything from NHLBI yet?

Still waiting for my NHLBI first time application results as well! Financial review letter came July 1. Clinical research application for me.

Still waiting for my NHLBI first time application results as well! Financial review letter came July 1. Clinical research application for me.

In same boat waiting for NHLBI!! Anybody contact them yet to ask for an update, by chance? Or anybody who *has* heard from nhlbi about a final funding decision, please post and let us all know!

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm wondering, has anyone heard from NIMH?? FYI I called the helpline yesterday and they insist that all decisions (approvals and rejections) will be made by the end of the month. Although, we see how accurate their notification dates have been before...

Right. Same here (regarding what I've heard)--they say we should hear by the end of the month. Still no word from NIMHD, right? Last year, I found that the approvals for each institute tended to come around the same time, so, still keeping my fingers crossed that something will come through.

Right. Same here (regarding what I've heard)--they say we should hear by the end of the month. Still no word from NIMHD, right? Last year, I found that the approvals for each institute tended to come around the same time, so, still keeping my fingers crossed that something will come through.

On that note--I just got approved! NIMHD, 3rd time applying. First time award recipient. Woo!!

Reactions: 2 users
On that note--I just got approved! NIMHD, 3rd time applying. First time award recipient. Woo!!
Congrats!! I'm waiting to hear from NIMH as well. Hopefully this is good news that the rest of the approvals are coming our way...

Congrats!! I'm waiting to hear from NIMH as well. Hopefully this is good news that the rest of the approvals are coming our way...
Just a note- NIMH is different from NIMHD. I am also waiting on NIMH, but 3 colleagues of mine have already been notified of their approval status. I'm still hopeful...

Congrats everyone! I'm NIMHD and still "pending review." I don't have much hope at this point since I didn't even go through financial review, just waiting for my application to officially get denied, so I can call the PO and find out what happened!

I just got time to check my status today and it changed to approved!! NHLBI, third time applying and first time recipient....hopefully! No email from them yet.

I just got time to check my status today and it changed to approved!! NHLBI, third time applying and first time recipient....hopefully! No email from them yet.
My NHLBI application changed to approved as well! Congrats mate! I logged into the participant portal to find the payments scheduled. Super psyched! What great news for a Wednesday!

Just a note- NIMH is different from NIMHD. I am also waiting on NIMH, but 3 colleagues of mine have already been notified of their approval status. I'm still hopeful...
Ahh...I see that now. The anxiety of hoping to hear people talking about NIMH made me jump the gun! Any word on anyone hearing good things from NIMH?

Just now I was unable to login to my LRP application portal. I got this message:

"The login you are using is for a prior application cycle. If you are completing forms on behalf of an applicant, you will need to follow the registration instructions in the email request. If you are applying for NIH Loan Repayment Program, you should use the Apply Here feature to begin your application."

Has this happened to anyone else?

Just now I was unable to login to my LRP application portal. I got this message:

"The login you are using is for a prior application cycle. If you are completing forms on behalf of an applicant, you will need to follow the registration instructions in the email request. If you are applying for NIH Loan Repayment Program, you should use the Apply Here feature to begin your application."

I was also unable to login but got a different message, just saying: "You could not be logged into the NIH LRP online application system. Make sure your email address and password are correct, and then try again." And when I tried to change my password it said my email was invalid. I called them and they said they have been having problems with the applicant portal and it might be fixed in a few hours. Let's hope it is that and not a rejection!

I'm getting the same message... I'm worried that this is indicating a rejection, but am keeping my fingers crossed.

NHLBI still "Pending Review" aaaaaahhhhhh!