NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if NICHD sends out all at once? I'm first time clinical applicant to NICHD - haven't heard anything yet. I'm seeing that others have heard from them - but don't know if that means it's a definite "no" or if they roll out notifications.

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone heard from NIMHD health disparities LRP?

Reactions: 1 user
Just logged into the site and saw my status has changed from submitted --> selected. New application through NIDDK. No email from them yet but there is a place to upload documents. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
My status for my first time NIA application changed from "submitted" to "selected". I haven't received an email yet, though, so I'm trying to not get my hopes up yet!

My first-time extramural clinical app to NCI says selected! No email yet.

Oye; they say notifications are on a "rolling" basis but I presume that's just to save face on their end. My first time clinical NCI app still says "submitted," so assuming if others' say "selected" then I'm out...

I checked my status today, renewal application to NHLBI, had changed to selected (was in "submitted" status about a week ago). No email yet. Not sure if I get one with a renewal as they have all my loan information already.

Last edited:
My first time NHLBI changed to "Selected" - but the same thing happened last year prior to getting an email and it switched back to submitted...so, not sure if I should be happy yet...

My first time NHLBI changed to "Selected" - but the same thing happened last year prior to getting an email and it switched back to submitted...so, not sure if I should be happy yet...
I got the email!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received official notification of financial review from NCI?
good question. i've been wondering the same thing, although my status is submitted not selected so i probably won't know either way. let me know if you hear anything.

Has anyone received official notification of financial review from NCI?

Not to be the bearer of bad news (hopefully just premature news!), but I got a request for financial verification for my NCI LRP last week. On my dashboard my 2017 application is just sadly sitting there designated as "Submitted", but my 2018 application has changed to "Selected". Just thought I'd pop on and let you know because I know the waiting can be terrible...

Hopefully there is still good news to come though!

Has anyone heard from NIAID? Still "submitted"...

Not to be the bearer of bad news (hopefully just premature news!), but I got a request for financial verification for my NCI LRP last week. On my dashboard my 2017 application is just sadly sitting there designated as "Submitted", but my 2018 application has changed to "Selected". Just thought I'd pop on and let you know because I know the waiting can be terrible...

Hopefully there is still good news to come though!

I also got official notice of financial review from NCI last week, and status changed to selected. Hopefully they are still rolling!

Has anyone heard from NIMHD? I know that they are usually later than the other Institutes, but I am getting curious now.

This thread has been helpful, so I thought I would add to it. I applied for an New Extramural Pediatric Research LRP (NEI). Financial review May 15th. Now for the long wait...

I checked my status today, renewal application to NHLBI, had changed to selected (was in "submitted" status about a week ago). No email yet. Not sure if I get one with a renewal as they have all my loan information already.
For renewals they just need an updated loan balance. The financial review docs they requested for my renewal to NICHD was significantly shorter than the initial financial review request.

My application (NCATS, clinical, new application) just switched from submitted to selected and I can upload loan documents, although I haven't gotten an email yet.
Does anyone know what the funding rate seems to be once you get selected for financial review? I'm hoping the NIH budget increase this year will help!

My application (NCATS, clinical, new application) just switched from submitted to selected and I can upload loan documents, although I haven't gotten an email yet.
Does anyone know what the funding rate seems to be once you get selected for financial review? I'm hoping the NIH budget increase this year will help!
No Idea, but I have also been wondering this as a first time applicant. Does anyone else know the likelihood of being funded if you receive a financial review? It seems that not getting funded if you receive a financial review is the exception.

I applied to NIMH Clinical Research LRP (extramural, new) and dashboard still says submitted. I assume this is not good news at this pt?

New applicant for Health Disparities - checked my account last week and status changed to "Selected." However, I did not receive the email asking me to upload loan information until yesterday. This is my third attempted at the LRP and first as faculty after applying twice as a postdoc. And yeah, from all my colleagues who have been successful in this process over the last few years, I have not heard of anyone who was selected for financial review who did not end up being receiving the award. Crossing fingers still that I won't be the first among our group!

New applicant for Health Disparities - checked my account last week and status changed to "Selected." However, I did not receive the email asking me to upload loan information until yesterday. This is my third attempted at the LRP and first as faculty after applying twice as a postdoc. And yeah, from all my colleagues who have been successful in this process over the last few years, I have not heard of anyone who was selected for financial review who did not end up being receiving the award. Crossing fingers still that I won't be the first among our group!

Out of curiosity... How many applications/colleagues are you sampling from? I am a new applicant and was "Selected". Trying to gauge the probability of being funded.

Anyone know the typical notification time period for renewal applicants? I was notified mid-August for my initial application--wasn't sure if this is the time frame for renewals as well. Thanks in advance.

Annnnnnnyone heard annnnyyything about NIMH Clinical, extramural, new? Dying over here. I only know one other person who applied, and he has not heard, either. I called two weeks ago and was told "letters are still going out." Would not clarify for specific institutes.

Friend got second renewal financial review for NHLBI weeks ago. Have not heard about anything else, aside from what is posted here.

Annnnnnnyone heard annnnyyything about NIMH Clinical, extramural, new? Dying over here. I only know one other person who applied, and he has not heard, either. I called two weeks ago and was told "letters are still going out." Would not clarify for specific institutes.

Friend got second renewal financial review for NHLBI weeks ago. Have not heard about anything else, aside from what is posted here.

I have not heard anything about my new NIMH clinical extramural...still just says "submitted". I decided a few weeks ago this meant that I will not be getting it but maybe there is still hope? I don't know anyone else who applied to NIMH. Fingers crossed there is still a chance!

Out of curiosity... How many applications/colleagues are you sampling from? I am a new applicant and was "Selected". Trying to gauge the probability of being funded.

Approximately twelve or so over the last four years that I can think of off the top of my head. Most have been NIMHD but a few were NIDA, NIMH, and NICHD. I'm tempering my own excitement and still crossing fingers but I think the goal is very near!

Approximately twelve or so over the last four years that I can think of off the top of my head. Most have been NIMHD but a few were NIDA, NIMH, and NICHD. I'm tempering my own excitement and still crossing fingers but I think the goal is very near!

Thanks for the response! And good luck! The odds seem very promising!

FYI I emailed the contact at NIDA today and was told "Final selections have not yet been made. The NIH LRP office will send out emails notifying LRP awardees at the end of the summer." This email doesn't actually mean anything to me, as it provides neither hope nor confirmation that my application wasn't funded (which I suspect), but perhaps they are waiting on the government to pass the budget?

Nothing yet. Le sigh.

Also, is the LRP application CV worthy? Would you add it even if it's still "under review".

Also would you guys include unfunded grants you applied for? if you are say a postdoc going on the job market for the first time. gulp!

I am first year tenure track faculty (going into second year). My department chair said that the dean would be excited to see that I applied for LRP, even though the university doesn't see any of the money. Since it's 70k, it's supposed to be a good indication that you will aggressively pursue research funding. It also evidences that you already have a beginning program of research (based on the work you proposed in the LRP), have actually thought about the next few years of your life (training components, mentors, etc) and know how to navigate NIH applications to some degree (*some* degree, I recognize LRP is not like the big time grant applications). I would put it on the CV especially when on the job market.

Nothing yet. Le sigh.

Also, is the LRP application CV worthy? Would you add it even if it's still "under review".

Great way to let people know you like to waste time instead of doing science.

Hey all,

My friend was approved for LRP under NCATS last night. I applied under NIAID, but haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone else have updates?

Last edited:
Hey all,

My friend was approved for LRP under NCATS last night. I'm applied under NIAID, but haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone else have updates?

NHLBI here, I just logged in and my account still says "selected." No email from NIH. Made an account just to reply. This forum/thread has been really helpful!