NHSC Scholarship 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My credit wasn't checked :( I am a PA student. BUMMER!!!! I thought I was a very competitive applicant! I'm sure everyone who will get it should have had their credit checked by now.

I'm a DO student and I had my credit checked but have yet to receive a finalist email.

You shouldn't give up hope!!!!

Best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

My credit wasn't checked :( I am a PA student. BUMMER!!!! I thought I was a very competitive applicant! I'm sure everyone who will get it should have had their credit checked by now.

It's chill. They have told multiple people, including me, that they are still in the middle of offering finalist positions. Even if you don't get it this year, I am sure that your chances increase as a reapplicant.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Have second round finalists been notified yet?

Have second round finalists been notified yet?

:thumbup:

Same question!

According to threads in past years... Nobody received the official congrats letter until they selected all of their finalists! So... I hope they select the rest of their finalists soon!

Site will be down from Saturday to Sunday... Potentially updating for next round of finalist letters!

Site will be down from Saturday to Sunday... Potentially updating for next round of finalist letters!

That's an important thing to note, because if the second round finalists ARE announced the Monday after that 24 hour maintenance period, then future applicants will have foresight for when their finalists will be announced (they just will have to check for 'site maintenance').

eeeeeeee!!

Reactions: 1 user
Forget medical school, I'm going to be a detective. ;)

Forget medical school, I'm going to be a detective. ;)

AHHHHH! I can't wait to get the final email! I hope it comes soon!

ALSO!

Nurses heard that they were finalists on the 18th and we found out in the 23rd of July. AND MORE NURSES just found out they are finalists (according to their forum) so hopefully this is a good sign for some more finalists on our side soon! (possibly after this maintenance!)

Well here's hoping that the next batch of first round finalists is still coming since my application is still under review!

Just for the record, I am a forth year medical student and have been on the NHSC scholarship the whole time. I was notified that i was s finalist way after the deadline and was awarded in late October. They retro paid all my tuition and the monthly stipend. Do not fear. NHSC runs a little slow but they will take good care of you.

^ sorry for the spelling errors above. I'm posting from my phone.

Finalists,

Can you please check your electronically signed contract (the blue link on the portal), scroll to the bottom, and post on here if you see anything other than your signature. There should be more electronic signatures from HRSA popping up on there in the next weeks. Or maybe they have already started signing them?

Anybody see any sigs? :cool:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Contract signed by Lisa W!

Role: OFAM Approver, HRSA

Date: Today (8/9/2013)

Looks like things are starting to get finalized! Hopefully more invites will be going out later today?!?! (That's what happened in previous years)

WOO! :luck:

Well here's hoping that the next batch of first round finalists is still coming since my application is still under review!

Someone on another sdn forum said that they received a finalist email tonight. My application is still under review as well :scared::eek:

I have reason to believe more will be sent tomorrow morning when things are updated!

I have reason to believe more will be sent tomorrow morning when things are updated!

I thought that at first (and still hope that!) but then I figured that they won't email anything because it's Sunday, but the website might change? idk.

Just got the finalist email Friday evening so there's still hope! Good luck to everyone!

I thought that at first (and still hope that!) but then I figured that they won't email anything because it's Sunday, but the website might change? idk.

July 23 finalist here..... No update on the site after the sunday site maintainence. Anybody get an update??

A previous tread shows someone who was updated during maintenance.

July 23 finalist here..... No update on the site after the sunday site maintainence. Anybody get an update??

Do you have 1,2, or 3 electronic signatures on your contract?

(also, no update post maintenance)

I did not get a 'post-maintenance' update. Le sighhh

Just got the finalist email Friday evening so there's still hope! Good luck to everyone!

Congrats Buc5084!

Well... my hope is slowly waining. Doesn't look like I have a credit check (I've looked at every conceivable site... one showed credit inquires and every other when didn't show anything), and mums the word so far from the people over at NHSC. I'm at the point where I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I'll figure if this year doesn't work out - I'll try again next year!

To the people that have gotten it - If you don't mind sharing, did you apply as EFN or do you have a minority status? I wonder how much that has played in for those people on the forums.

i have one electronic signature which is applicable to all fields. you?

i have one electronic signature which is applicable to all fields. you?

I just got another electronic signature from Lisa W. from "HRSA" (it appears right under my signature). I was just wondering if people are seeing more than their signature and HRSA's signature.

Because, the top of the contract says that eventually we are going to get a signature from the "Secretary".

Congrats Buc5084!

Well... my hope is slowly waining. Doesn't look like I have a credit check (I've looked at every conceivable site... one showed credit inquires and every other when didn't show anything), and mums the word so far from the people over at NHSC. I'm at the point where I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I'll figure if this year doesn't work out - I'll try again next year!

To the people that have gotten it - If you don't mind sharing, did you apply as EFN or do you have a minority status? I wonder how much that has played in for those people on the forums.

I turned in disadvantage status forms. Nothing to do with being a minority.

congratz!! i think that is it.. i have nothing under my electronic signature..i think that is the only other signature u need.. you are a dental student right?? any medical students have another signature besides their own??

No, it showed up Friday morning. And yes, I am a dental student.

Ok. So it seems like the sunday update did not bring about any news. I have no signatures besides mine. this wait is too long...

Ok. So it seems like the sunday update did not bring about any news. I have no signatures besides mine. this wait is too long...

According to the NHSC 2012 thread people started seeing signatures on August 16th and then more started popping up on the 24th of August and by the 25th of August statuses were being updated to "participant"

So, I wouldn't worry, your signature is on its way this week (is my guess)

We should be getting final word soon!

Last edited:
Congrats Buc5084!

I like your positivity. You're definitely not alone!!

Just to let everyone know.

A dental finalist just got a call to confirm that he received the email... The person that called him said that a lot of people have declined the award and that this is good for those that have not heard yet... However, it will delay hearing the official word for those that have accepted the award.

Last edited:
I am anxious as well. When I call, I am only told that that my status still says under review just like it says online and that they have until September 30 to notify us yes or no. I basically get no other info that I can get from the site or documents provided.

I am anxious as well. When I call, I am only told that that my status still says under review just like it says online and that they have until September 30 to notify us yes or no. I basically get no other info that I can get from the site or documents provided.

Yeah, the call center is horrible.

Just for the record, I am a forth year medical student and have been on the NHSC scholarship the whole time. I was notified that i was s finalist way after the deadline and was awarded in late October. They retro paid all my tuition and the monthly stipend. Do not fear. NHSC runs a little slow but they will take good care of you.

I looked up my credit score but I can't tell who these people are who are checking it. Oh well, I have given up, but I would like to know how they retroactively pay your stuff? School has already started for me, as have loans and refunds for the loans... How do they do that?

I looked up my credit score but I can't tell who these people are who are checking it. Oh well, I have given up, but I would like to know how they retroactively pay your stuff? School has already started for me, as have loans and refunds for the loans... How do they do that?

You pull out loans from school for tuition. Once you get the NHSC loan your school will pay you back and you will then use that money to pay back the loan agency. However, during that time (~2 months) you will have some interest accrue. You will be responsible to pay that off.

If you pull out MORE loans than just tuition (i.e., living, transportation, etc.) then you will have to pay those pack using the ORC check they send to you in November.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, I need a little help here. I applied for the scholarship thinking I had a really great chance. I submitted the "Disadvantaged" eligibility form, I am a minority (not sure if this really matters or not), and I live and breathe public health. I have HUNDREDS of community service hours, I've been involved in public health activities/internships/jobs for over six years now. I am confident my essays were strong, and I read one of my letters of recommendation, and I know it was solid. I didn't read the faculty letter, but I shared enough information with my professor that I think/ hope he was able to write a good letter. I am really frustrated that I haven't heard anything yet...not just because I want the scholarship (because we all do), but because I went into dentistry truly wanting to work in underserved areas. I've always wanted to work in a community health center, and I guess I just don't know why my application wasn't strong enough.

For those of you who are finalists, congrats! I am sure you all deserve it. I guess I just want to know what more I could do to make myself worthy of this scholarship :(

Guys, I need a little help here. I applied for the scholarship thinking I had a really great chance. I submitted the "Disadvantaged" eligibility form, I am a minority (not sure if this really matters or not), and I live and breathe public health. I have HUNDREDS of community service hours, I've been involved in public health activities/internships/jobs for over six years now. I am confident my essays were strong, and I read one of my letters of recommendation, and I know it was solid. I didn't read the faculty letter, but I shared enough information with my professor that I think/ hope he was able to write a good letter. I am really frustrated that I haven't heard anything yet...not just because I want the scholarship (because we all do), but because I went into dentistry truly wanting to work in underserved areas. I've always wanted to work in a community health center, and I guess I just don't know why my application wasn't strong enough.

For those of you who are finalists, congrats! I am sure you all deserve it. I guess I just want to know what more I could do to make myself worthy of this scholarship :(

I know it sucks. My friend last year did not receive it and I KNEW that he was a perfect candidate. However, he received a finalist email this year! Granted, he has one year of loans to worry about, but, that's nothing compared to the four years of USC medical school loans he was worried about before. There will always be TONS of options to work in primary care.

I feel the same way and I from a rural area and worked at a rural health department and have not heard anything.

You pull out loans from school for tuition. Once you get the NHSC loan your school will pay you back and you will then use that money to pay back the loan agency. However, during that time (~2 months) you will have some interest accrue. You will be responsible to pay that off.

If you pull out MORE loans than just tuition (i.e., living, transportation, etc.) then you will have to pay those pack using the ORC check they send to you in November.

If you remit your loan money within 180 after it is disbursed they will take away all the interest and administrative fees associated with the remitted amount. (I talked to school's financial aid department during orientation about this)

If you remit your loan money within 180 after it is disbursed they will take away all the interest and administrative fees associated with the remitted amount. (I talked to school's financial aid department during orientation about this)

Hmm... That is not what I was told. But, if that is how it works, that sounds great!

The NHSC website specifically says that they "are not responsible for any interest that accrues if loans are pulled out prior to receipt of the initial deposit."

Hey guys
I have also received a finalist email and have submitted all of the info that they needed. i will be a second year medical student. One thing I was wondering is what the pay would be like for a doctor that works in a NHSC site? I have done research and I saw 120k-140k as the cap. Does anyone know otherwise?

There is no salary "cap," but most community health centers do not have a lot of money, so generally, most will pay about $120K or so. This is based on geography, and many will pay less (around $100K).

Please remember that the NHSC does not set salaries, negotiate physician/dental contracts, or have anything else to do with your job. The individual community health center decides how much to pay you and which days of the week you will work.

Hmm... That is not what I was told. But, if that is how it works, that sounds great!

The NHSC website specifically says that they "are not responsible for any interest that accrues if loans are pulled out prior to receipt of the initial deposit."

Things are different for private loans but federal loans give you time to remit the loans (for whatever the reason) and then not have to pay interest or administrative fees. NHSC is covering their behinds in case you are taking out private loans (I assumed that we are all taking out only federal since our limit is higher than for most other programs).

things are different for private loans but federal loans give you time to remit the loans (for whatever the reason) and then not have to pay interest or administrative fees. Nhsc is covering their behinds in case you are taking out private loans (i assumed that we are all taking out only federal since our limit is higher than for most other programs).

awesome!

thanks guys, good to know. :idea:

smq123

What are your opinions about the "finalist pretty much means accepted"?