NHSC Scholarship 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks JAWSSS! Good luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

My credit was checked 07/03 as well! Is there anyone who applied that didn't have their credit checked? I was looking in the forum for past years to see what happened those years. It's just nice to see some signs of life!
Well good luck and let's keep updating each other :)!

My credit was checked 07/03 as well! Is there anyone who applied that didn't have their credit checked? I was looking in the forum for past years to see what happened those years. It's just nice to see some signs of life!
Well good luck and let's keep updating each other :)!

A few people have mentioned that they didn't have their credit checked.

And the nurses have started hearing back (so far, only the ones with credit checks have started hearing back).

We'll see! gl. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
A few people have mentioned that they didn't have their credit checked.

And the nurses have started hearing back (so far, only the ones with credit checks have started hearing back).

We'll see! gl. :luck:

Can you link to where you are getting this info?

Just go the email!!! So, all of you should check your emailsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Last edited:
Got the email as a Finalist as well! JAWSSS, do you know if Finalists pretty much get the award as long as the banking info gets in on time?

I just got the email.... IM A FINALIST!!!!! :D

I am so grateful and excited!

:highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive:

Got the email as a Finalist as well! JAWSSS, do you know if Finalists pretty much get the award as long as the banking info gets in on time?

After searching through ALL forums (PA, DO, MD, DDS/DMD, Nursing), I have never seen a finalist not receive the award.

Lets hope that this is the trend this year.

For those who are finalists so far... what are your programs? MD, DO, dental, nursing etc...

Did ya'll apply early after they opened the application?

2nd year dental student. I submitted it 2 days before it was due. I don't believe they operate this program on "rolling admission." It is government funded and the application window is so short I am sure that all applications are looked at equally. (Unless of course they are not complete)

Last year when I received my "denied" email from the NHSC it said that "4000 applications were received", but if you look at the handbook the NHSC publishes it says less than 2000 for last cycle. So could it be that 2000 applications were not complete? Who knows...

2nd year dental student. I submitted it 2 days before it was due. I don't believe they operate this program on "rolling admission." It is government funded and the application window is so short I am sure that all applications are looked at equally. (Unless of course they are not complete)

Last year when I received my "denied" email from the NHSC it said that "4000 applications were received", but if you look at the handbook the NHSC publishes it says less than 2000 for last cycle. So could it be that 2000 applications were not complete? Who knows...

Yeah, I'm sure they're all looked at equally... was just curious if they're reviewing in any type of order or grouping. Who knows... time will tell regardless!

Congrats!

btw - when did you receive a denial last year? September?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody have a "contract" to sign? (like they did last year)

Or was it just the four steps (accept, bank info, W-4, and the education verification form)?

Thanks

(I'm dental, first-time applicant, submitted 3 days before the due-date)

To those of you that you that got the finalist email- did your status change on the online portal from under review to finalist?

To those of you that you that got the finalist email- did your status change on the online portal from under review to finalist?

Mine changed to "finalist for award"

I haven't heard anything so I suppose I didn't get it. Congrats to everyone that did!!

I wouldn't give up completely yet, in past years they seemed to send out e-mails at different times. Did you look up if the NHSC checked your credit, which may or may not be an indication of their interest...

I am a 2nd year D.O. student. I hit the submit button the day it was due. (smh) But a friend of mine got it last year and she said most finalists get it. They only offer what they have then they sift through to make sure those who are finalists actually want it (or get everything in by the deadline). Whatever remains goes to an more finalists and finally to an alternate list (they find out a bit later).

Last edited:
i just found out yesterday by email that i was accepted for the scholarship program. i'm an NP student, so i'm not sure if that would make for a difference in terms of notification dates. i was just reading this forum to see if anyone had a perspective that could help me decide whether or not i should take the scholarship, and i thought i would share about the acceptance because the email also included a one week deadline to accept the scholarship, and i thought that might be helpful to know about if you are waiting to hear. i also checked (it was only on credit karma, so maybe it's not the most accurate source) but i don't see that there were any recent inquiries to my credit score, so don't fret if you don't see that either. best of luck everyone :)

Did anybody have a "contract" to sign? (like they did last year)

Or was it just the four steps (accept, bank info, W-4, and the education verification form)?

Thanks

(I'm dental, first-time applicant, submitted 3 days before the due-date)

If you are a finalist you'll have to fill out all the stuff you discussed above and then hit submit. Then the portal takes you to the contract that you sign electronically before officially sending the final submit button so your application goes to final review. (just sent all my info in which is how I know now since I was confused by not seeing the contract at first)

I have yet to receive a finalist email, but CONGRATS!!! to those that did :D. That's an awesome opportunity!

If you are a finalist you'll have to fill out all the stuff you discussed above and then hit submit. Then the portal takes you to the contract that you sign electronically before officially sending the final submit button so your application goes to final review. (just sent all my info in which is how I know now since I was confused by not seeing the contract at first)

OK AWESOME!

That really puts my fears to rest!

I wonder what % of finalist will receive it?.... I know that it has been a consensus that 99.999% of finalists pretty much receive it. but. I am always scared of being that 0.001%

I have yet to receive a finalist email, but CONGRATS!!! to those that did :D. That's an awesome opportunity!

I'm in the same boat as you JuneBugg...hopefully there is still hope. I had my credit checked July 3rd as well, maybe we're in a different group?

And yes, a big congrats to all those who did receive the finalist e-mail :)

I wouldn't give up completely yet, in past years they seemed to send out e-mails at different times. Did you look up if the NHSC checked your credit, which may or may not be an indication of their interest...

I've been out of the country. In the airport now actually. I plan to check as soon as I get home though.

I'm in the same boat as you JuneBugg...hopefully there is still hope. I had my credit checked July 3rd as well, maybe we're in a different group?

Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Does everyone's signature page on the contract read:

"By electronically signing this contract, I agree to 4 years of service
obligation for 4 year(s) of scholarship support.
Signature: Electronically signed by (JAWSSS)
Role: Applicant
Date: 07/24/2013 07:35:03 PM EDT"

I am assuming that means you "signed" on all four lines?

What thread(s) are you referring to where finalists received notifications on different dates? I've been trying to find them to give myself some hope :/

Yeah, I'm sure they're all looked at equally... was just curious if they're reviewing in any type of order or grouping. Who knows... time will tell regardless!

Congrats!

btw - when did you receive a denial last year? September?

I received the rejection email on September 1st last year. I know that before they sent out the rejections they sent out the confirmation of award emails to those that got it.

For those who received the award last year, the first deposit was in October. It included back pay to July for the stipend and also a one time deposit for "other reasonable costs" (ORC).

Also, last year the NHSC did not pay the first tuition balance (for the first semester) until December/January. So it is nice if a school official with some authority is aware of the scholarship. That way they can give back your loan money asap (so no interest builds up) and they can allow a balance to remain on your account and not penalize you for it. Just something to consider.

I also had mine checked on 7/3. Haven't heard back yet =/

Finalists who were contacted yesterday (7/23) have until 7/31 to confirm continued interest and submit the required forms. I suspect there will be another round of notifications sent out soon after that.

Can you guys post when you contract gets signed?

Actually, post when anything happens to your contract, haha.

You can check it by clicking the blue link that says:

"Your National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship signed contract" and scrolling to the bottom.

Just got a call from the NHSC to confirm receiving the email.

She said that they expect to send out a few more finalist offers. (Just letting everyone know).

Congrats to those that are finalist! I'm actually an MD applicant, but can't seem to find a thread in the allo forums.

My experian report didn't list any inquiries, but my equinox report did list inquiries including an inquiry made July 3rd. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it came from the NHSC.... so it might just be happenstance.

On a hopeful note - I called the NHSC when people were hearing back and asked if they were continuing to contact finalists. The lady told me that they will be contacting people until the 31st of August. (but that just might me they send rejections out September 1st - as per the above notice).

Keep hoping y'all!

Congrats to those that are finalist! I'm actually an MD applicant, but can't seem to find a thread in the allo forums.

My experian report didn't list any inquiries, but my equinox report did list inquiries including an inquiry made July 3rd. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it came from the NHSC.... so it might just be happenstance.

On a hopeful note - I called the NHSC when people were hearing back and asked if they were continuing to contact finalists. The lady told me that they will be contacting people until the 31st of August. (but that just might me they send rejections out September 1st - as per the above notice).

Keep hoping y'all!

If the inquiry was from "CBCINNOVIS" on the 3rd... Then it's the NHSC

Keep hoping y'all!

+1 MD applicant here too. Good luck!

How do you know if your credit has been checked?

Go to annualcreditreport.com

Request free credit report

Look at your Experien and Equifax reports.

If you have an inquiry from CBCINNOVIS or bhsc/dhhs/cbc (or some variation of this) then that means that the NHSC has checked your credit.

Have any finalists had their contract signed?

Go to annualcreditreport.com

Request free credit report

Look at your Experien and Equifax reports.

If you have an inquiry from CBCINNOVIS or bhsc/dhhs/cbc (or some variation of this) then that means that the NHSC has checked your credit.

Have any finalists had their contract signed?
Eeeeek. Credit check isn't looking good for me. I guess we'll see >.<

Eeeeek. Credit check isn't looking good for me. I guess we'll see >.<

It ain't over yet! Don't stress.

Update: no signatures yet.... But, I am assuming that they won't come until the deadline passes today. Anybody else?

One of my classmates got the finalist email and he told me today that he turned the scholarship down! That's one more possible opening for those of us still holding our breath!

One of my classmates got the finalist email and he told me today that he turned the scholarship down! That's one more possible opening for those of us still holding our breath!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey I am an applicant for the MD as well and was told that the emails just started! There are many more yet to be sent out! There is hope guys!

Hey Everyone!

I'm a first year D.O. student. Found out on the 23rd that I was a finalist. I submitted my paperwork a couple days after that. I called in to ask how the NHSC would decide who the final recipients would be as the Finalist page specifically states "You are not guaranteed an award at this time." I kind of figured if you're a finalist that you get the award, but I wanted to weasel an answer out of the woman. So what she said was that the only way you can fail to receive a scholarship after being declared a Finalist is if you do not submit your admission verification form and the W-4 form that has to be sent in to complete your application.

I called again to verify that they received all my documents and checked again to make sure that Finalists who accept the award will indeed receive it. The woman told me so long as everything is in I should just keep an eye out for my award email very soon.

Those of you who have not heard back, fear not. The 7/23 emails was just a first round sent out to students to see if they are still interested and/or to be sure that they have in fact been admitted into a medical school. Like it was mentioned earlier, some students no longer wish to be considered for the scholarship. So those awards will then be deferred down to a second round pick sometime in August. The woman I spoke to had also specifically said:

"We ask that chosen finalists submit their documents by 7/31 so that we can make further moves beginning 8/1."

What I think she meant by that was to see who wanted to accept the award, who didn't, how many more they have left to offer, and who they're going to offer those awards too. That's why the first deposits don't go out until late September, early October.

Good luck to those of you who are still waiting to hear back! I hope I get to meet some of you at the conference this coming year!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone!

I'm a first year D.O. student. Found out on the 23rd that I was a finalist. I submitted my paperwork a couple days after that. I called in to ask how the NHSC would decide who the final recipients would be as the Finalist page specifically states "You are not guaranteed an award at this time." I kind of figured if you're a finalist that you get the award, but I wanted to weasel an answer out of the woman. So what she said was that the only way you can fail to receive a scholarship after being declared a Finalist is if you do not submit your admission verification form and the W-4 form that has to be sent in to complete your application.

I called again to verify that they received all my documents and checked again to make sure that Finalists who accept the award will indeed receive it. The woman told me so long as everything is in I should just keep an eye out for my award email very soon.

Those of you who have not heard back, fear not. The 7/23 emails was just a first round sent out to students to see if they are still interested and/or to be sure that they have in fact been admitted into a medical school. Like it was mentioned earlier, some students no longer wish to be considered for the scholarship. So those awards will then be deferred down to a second round pick sometime in August. The woman I spoke to had also specifically said:

"We ask that chosen finalists submit their documents by 7/31 so that we can make further moves beginning 8/1."

What I think she meant by that was to see who wanted to accept the award, who didn't, how many more they have left to offer, and who they're going to offer those awards too. That's why the first deposits don't go out until late September, early October.

Good luck to those of you who are still waiting to hear back! I hope I get to meet some of you at the conference this coming year!

Thanks for the information. I always seem to speak with people that have NO idea what is going on... they simply say that "If it says all of your forms are in, then don't worry about it..." They also have said "We have no way of seeing those forms because we are not supposed to have access to all of your info."

So, I guess if the forms are sent in... then we are good, I just can't feel good about it until everything is final. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the 7/23 people will hear the final word soon?

They also announced on their website that there will not be a conference this year. :(

jk860266, do you have any of your forms signed yet?

Hey guys
I have also received a finalist email and have submitted all of the info that they needed. i will be a second year medical student. One thing I was wondering is what the pay would be like for a doctor that works in a NHSC site? I have done research and I saw 120k-140k as the cap. Does anyone know otherwise?

My credit wasn't checked :( I am a PA student. BUMMER!!!! I thought I was a very competitive applicant! I'm sure everyone who will get it should have had their credit checked by now.

Hey guys
I have also received a finalist email and have submitted all of the info that they needed. i will be a second year medical student. One thing I was wondering is what the pay would be like for a doctor that works in a NHSC site? I have done research and I saw 120k-140k as the cap. Does anyone know otherwise?

Did you become a finalist in the first round, or have they already sent out second round finalist emails?