NHSC anyone heard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WamWammy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard yea or nay from the NHSC yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a notification that it was received, I think, but I haven't heard anything else yet.

I got a notification that it was received, I think, but I haven't heard anything else yet.

What kind of notification did you get and when? Email, mail, etc? I haven't heard anything from them. Thanks

Hey, I didn't get a verification either, I didn't even know they were doing that, but I did call Discovery Logic in late April and they said that they had received all my documents, that my application was complete, and now I just needed to wait.

Oh good to know! I was starting to think that my application may not have been received or was incomplete.

About the notification thing...I never received confirmation that my application was ok so I called a while back to make sure they got everything. They told me they sent notifications to everyone except the people that got their application in during the last two weeks before the deadline (I got mine in in the last day or two :oops:) but that everything was ok.

In calling at the end of June to check on my application, I was told that they would be notifying everyone via e-mail from July through September...:eek:

It's interesting how they made a big deal this year (on the conference calls at least) about how the process was going to be quick and done by May. Oh well, what can you expect from a government program?

Well that is good to know (about the emails from July-Sept). I was starting to worry...

Any updates? anyone heard anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I just received an email from my financial aid office saying "congratulations on your NHSC scholarship. Your second loan disbursements have been cancelled. As soon as...." etc. etc. Since I haven't heard anything from the NHSC, I inquired about it to the fin. aid office. They showed me the email from some bigwig in the NHSC asking for all of my tuition info., cost of attendance, etc. and that I "qualified for the NHSC scholarship." Ummmm, qualified doesn't necessarily mean granted. Anyways, a little sketchy. I am actually starting to re-think my decision to join. So much is changing. So many more sites have decreased for scholars etc. Lots of questions. So little time. Do I really want to do primary care now? Ahhh!

Well, I just received an email from my financial aid office saying "congratulations on your NHSC scholarship. Your second loan disbursements have been cancelled. As soon as...." etc. etc. Since I haven't heard anything from the NHSC, I inquired about it to the fin. aid office. They showed me the email from some bigwig in the NHSC asking for all of my tuition info., cost of attendance, etc. and that I "qualified for the NHSC scholarship." Ummmm, qualified doesn't necessarily mean granted. Anyways, a little sketchy. I am actually starting to re-think my decision to join. So much is changing. So many more sites have decreased for scholars etc. Lots of questions. So little time. Do I really want to do primary care now? Ahhh!

So you can still bail out of it?

First of all, congrats BabyKangaroo! It's a very competitive scholarship so well done

So you can still bail out of it?

Sure, he can still decline as long as he hasn't signed the agreement. Usually people get their acceptance letter and contract Fedexed to their home address (that's what been reported in years previous). Your experience with your school is odd but....it does fit with the disorganized reputation of the group

I am actually starting to re-think my decision to join... Do I really want to do primary care now? Ahhh!

Remember though BabyKangaroo, you don't have to do primary care to receive the scholarship. I would not consider psychiatry or OB/GYN to be a primary care field, although they are related I suppose. Honestly though, you have a pretty large choice.

If you decide halfway through school that you want to specialize, well then just go for internal medicine, and then apply for a fellowship when you finish with the NHSC. Plenty of fellowships would like to have more experienced applicants

BabyKangaroo, you and I have talked before about the pros/cons of the scholarship. If you are unmarried, I think the NHSC is a great way to go. If it looks like you're going to marry someone who's in medical school, well then...I'd probably think twice as well

Let us know what you decide!! Good luck

I too was contacted by my medical school's admission office saying the NHSC contacted them about my tuition information. Does anyone know if this is standard procedure for all NHSC applicants, or only ones they are considering more seriously? Has anyone been accepted yet? Thanks!

Remember though BabyKangaroo, you don't have to do primary care to receive the scholarship. I would not consider psychiatry or OB/GYN to be a primary care field, although they are related I suppose. Honestly though, you have a pretty large choice.

You might have to practice primary care OB/gyn, though, with the scholarship - i.e. being the only OB/gyn (and perhaps only physician) for a region. You may be doing a surprising amount of office work, and spending minimal time on L&D or in the OR. Same goes for psych.

I was contacted by the NHSC yesterday to confirm my address and tuition status so they could process my award. They told me that means that I've been accepted, so I'd take them contacting your school as a sign that you've been accepted as well. I don't think I'll truly believe it until I have the paperwork in hand, but in the meantime I'm excited about (potentially) being debt-free!

I've started to do a lot more research for feedback from NHSC scholars. Anyone have a positive experience to share?? All of the negativity I see is a bit disappointing.

congrats pugha15! that's great news :)

how did they contact you? phone/email/mail?

You might have to practice primary care OB/gyn, though, with the scholarship - i.e. being the only OB/gyn (and perhaps only physician) for a region. You may be doing a surprising amount of office work, and spending minimal time on L&D or in the OR. Same goes for psych.

I understand what you mean about practicing primary care OB/GYN. I didn't realize that

What about about psych? Psych usually is a lot of office work with no procedures (well maybe the occasional ECT), so what is primary care work for a psychiatrist?

Thanks! Also, congrats to the poster above for being accepted! Good luck to you

congrats pugha15! that's great news :)

how did they contact you? phone/email/mail?

I received a phone call from them to confirm my address and such. They said the paperwork should be in the mail in the next few weeks. Good luck to everyone who's waiting to hear!

I've received word that my LRP contract has been approved.
Date Submitted: ~July 10th (a day or two before the first deadline)
Start Date: Aug 10th
$$ Dispursement Date: Nov 10th

This is for a dental clinic located in Florida.
Drew

So did anyone else get this email today??

Dear National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Program (SP). This communication is to inform you that your Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 application has been reviewed and you have been deemed eligible for a NHSC SP award.
Obtaining responses to this e-mail is the next step in determining who will receive NHSC SP awards. The NHSC will determine scholarship recipients by September 30, 2009.

On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act ("Recovery Act") of 2009. The Recovery Act provides substantial additional funding for the NHSC SP and due to the availability of Recovery Act funding, the Bureau of Clinician Recruitment and Service will be able to provide more scholarship awards to students preparing to be primary health care clinicians who wish to deliver quality primary health care services in health professional shortage areas of greatest need throughout the United States and its territories, as designated by the Secretary of Health and Human Services.

This e-mail is being sent to applicants who are considered finalist and alternates. Therefore, this is not a guarantee that you will receive an award, please indicate below if offered an NHSC SP award would you accept or decline it. Please print this e-mail, check the appropriate line below; sign your name; and enter the date and the last four digits of your social security number.
Also, please sign and date the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 contract that was sent to you with this e-mail. Only sign the contract for the years that you would like to receive scholarship benefits based on the number of years of school that you have remaining and the number of years that you want support which cannot exceed 4 years. Below are examples of scenarios for determining the number of years to sign contracts.
Example 1: If you are a 1st year medical student, you may sign for up to 4 years (i.e., 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13) because you have 4 years remaining to complete your coursework (or graduate).
Example 2: If you are a 3rd year medical student, you may only sign the contract for 2 years (2009-10 and 2010-11) since you only have 2 years remaining until you are scheduled to complete your coursework. In this scenario, whether you sign the contract for 1 year or 2 years, you will still have a 2-year service commitment to the NHSC since 2 years is the minimum service obligation commitment.
Example 3: A physician assistant student is in an 18-month program which started August 24, 2009 and is scheduled to end December 15, 2010. This student may choose to sign a 1-year contract for the 2009-10. The contract period starts July 1, 2009 and ends June 30, 2010. Or this student could choose to sign a 2-year contact which would end upon completion of coursework (i.e., December 15, 2010) or June 30, 2011 whichever is sooner. For a 1-year contract, the minimum service obligation commitment is 2 years. Therefore, this student may want to sign a 2-year contract because his/her service commitment will be for 2 years anyway and he/she could get scholarship benefits for the 2nd year.
If you have questions about the signing the ARRA contract or if you are unable to open the ARRA contract document, please contact the HRSA Call Center at 1-800-221-9393.

I received that e-mail as well. Did you note the "please fax both items within 24 hrs of receipt"? I almost missed it and would have waited to fax it back.

How many years are you signing for? I have potential to get into a 3 year primary care program (LECOM has the only one in the country and there are 13 applicants for 10 spots this year) and I can't decide if I should sign for 3 or 4 years... Would I be bound to serve for 4 years even if they only pay for 3?

I received that e-mail as well. Did you note the "please fax both items within 24 hrs of receipt"? I almost missed it and would have waited to fax it back.

How many years are you signing for? I have potential to get into a 3 year primary care program (LECOM has the only one in the country and there are 13 applicants for 10 spots this year) and I can't decide if I should sign for 3 or 4 years... Would I be bound to serve for 4 years even if they only pay for 3?

Congrats! I will be signing for 2 bc I am a 3rd year med student. I think they only require you to work for the amount of years you serve for, except for the fact that you have to serve at least 2 years. I'm pretty jazzed because I have been working at a clinic with doctors who are scholars/loan repayers and it's been the best experience!

I got one too : ) I wish we knew how many of these they sent out....

I did not receive that email so I guess I'm out of the running. I wish they'd send me my rejection notification so I that I can have some closure. I'm pretty disappointed since I'm going to owe >375k when I grad. This could have been a lifesaver. Whatever, guess it wasn't meant to be. Congrats ou guys.

Commitment is a min of 2 years. After that it's 12mos service for each additional year of service. So 3 or 4 years is possible, 1 year is not (at least for MD/DO, I have no clue for nursing, etc). If it isn't expressly written in the contract you faxed, I would not count on any of the other aspects of the service commitment being the same at the time you enter service (note other conversations on the forum about the HPSA score changing, etc). Think of it as the military -you're committing to serve. Where you go will be based on what the higher ups decide. What you will be doing there will be based on what the higher ups decide. What fellowships/residencies are acceptable/desirable.....etc etc.

I received a similar email as the one stated above. However, I elected to decline the scholarship. This will open up a spot. Good luck to all who are awaiting patiently!

I received a similar email as the one stated above. However, I elected to decline the scholarship. This will open up a spot. Good luck to all who are awaiting patiently!

congrats on the acceptance! even if you declined, that's an accomplishment

I got the e-mail too. Still feeling uneasy about it.

Congrats to the finalists and alternates!

I did not receive the email so I think it's time to officially uncross my fingers. Shucks!

I got the e-mail too. Still feeling uneasy about it.

Me too. I don't want to get too excited only to find out I missed it by a couple of people. I hope they let us know for sure soon.

Me too. I don't want to get too excited only to find out I missed it by a couple of people. I hope they let us know for sure soon.

I received notice from my school financial aid office that the scholarship had been added and my loans canceled within 4 days of faxing back the contract. Hopefully you won't have to be uneasy for too long!

I hope I'm that lucky! The suspense is killing me!

I recieved that email as well on Monday (9/14) and am anxiously waiting for another email or letter to let me know where i stand!!

I received another email today asking me to resend the forms I sent on Monday. I also got a call (almost had a heart attack) asking me to call someone else to verify that they had been received. But even with all that, I still don't know if I got the scholarship!

I received another email today asking me to resend the forms I sent on Monday. I also got a call (almost had a heart attack) asking me to call someone else to verify that they had been received. But even with all that, I still don't know if I got the scholarship!

hey the exact same thing happened to me today. a bit frustrating because after I sent the faxes in on Monday, the call center confirmed that they were received. this waiting is killing me!

I had the same thing happen to me - I got the email on Monday and then a "resend" email today. Then I got the voice mail saying that they needed it before tomorrow morning. I actually called the call center on Monday to try to verify that they received the forms and I was told that they didn't have a list of the faxes received, that they didn't have a count of "finalist" nor did they have a number to report of how many "finalist/alternate" emails were sent. So basically, I'm just trying not to think about it until I hear back..hopefully soon.

Ohhhh, this is just killing me. The 30th seems so ridiculously far away! I hope they figure this whole thing out and let us know soon.

I had the same thing happen to me - I got the email on Monday and then a "resend" email today. Then I got the voice mail saying that they needed it before tomorrow morning. I actually called the call center on Monday to try to verify that they received the forms and I was told that they didn't have a list of the faxes received, that they didn't have a count of "finalist" nor did they have a number to report of how many "finalist/alternate" emails were sent. So basically, I'm just trying not to think about it until I hear back..hopefully soon.

This state of oblivion...is this common among federally-run programs?

This state of oblivion...is this common among federally-run programs?

Yeah....even if you specify that it is an "urgent" matter that needs to be discussed ASAP, the most you can really hope for is 24-48 hours response time.

The NHSC moves at a pace all its own, that's all I can say.

The NHSC moves at a pace all its own, that's all I can say.

Well, I wish their chosen pace would hurry a bit. It's hard to focus when you're trying to figure out if you won the lottery.

has anyone heard anything since the e-mail last week?

Not yet. I hope to hear soon - I'm so nervous.