NHSC Scholarship Loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rusino

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just failed a block at my medical school. The policy is that I remediate the block over the summer and in the meantime, I get an Incomplete for the semester on my transcript. Does this mean I will not get the scholarship next semester? If so, will I get the money after I remediate? How screwed am I?

Members don't see this ad.

I just failed a block at my medical school. The policy is that I remediate the block over the summer and in the meantime, I get an Incomplete for the semester on my transcript. Does this mean I will not get the scholarship next semester? If so, will I get the money after I remediate? How screwed am I?

To clarify - are you a scholar? I'm assuming that, if you are, the first tuition payment has already been disbursed?

I imagine that you'll still get the scholarship next year, as you'll still technically be in good academic standing. And since it's medical school, it's not like you have to pay an additional fee to remediate the block because you don't re-take the course. I don't think it will be a major problem, especially if it doesn't happen again. The NHSC is mainly worried that you'll drop out or be asked to leave, but failing one block of medical school is hardly a terrible prognostic factor.

To clarify - are you a scholar? I'm assuming that, if you are, the first tuition payment has already been disbursed?

I imagine that you'll still get the scholarship next year, as you'll still technically be in good academic standing. And since it's medical school, it's not like you have to pay an additional fee to remediate the block because you don't re-take the course. I don't think it will be a major problem, especially if it doesn't happen again. The NHSC is mainly worried that you'll drop out or be asked to leave, but failing one block of medical school is hardly a terrible prognostic factor.

I am indeed a scholar. The issue is that enrollment verification happens every semester, not every year. So the NHSC has to disburse again in the spring.

But otherwise this is encouraging to hear.