New mom sues medical licensing board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually think a lot of people here are in support of #2. In Canada it's actually like that (just ask any of the canadian meds or pre-meds).

I know it also happens in the US. Last year one of my dad's employees went on "paternity leave". I'm guessing his wife was relieved to have some help with the work after pushing a 7 pound baby out of her body.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like a judge today ruled against Dr. Currier. Said she had plenty of time, and if other women found enough time, then she could too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank God someone has some sense in this world. (i.e. THAT judge) And God bless the father of those two children. I'm sure he is a self abusive alcoholic by now or at least addicted to painkillers.

Her blog is silent.

Her blog may be silent but she's certainly not. Here's her interview on Boston TV. Did she really say the judge is making her choose between engorged breasts and eating/drinking.???http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14150393/detail.html

Here is NBME's version of the story from yesterday. They say she has permission to eat in the testing room. Oh Sophie...you got some splaining to do!!

http://digital50.com/news/items/PR/...tfeeding-mother-on-medical-licensing-exa.html

Currier's lawyer, Christine Smith Collins, said she would ask the state Appeals Court to hear the case and issue a ruling before Currier takes the test next week.

"This fight is not over," Currier said.
Here's a novel idea - maybe she should spend that time STUDYING so she doesn't fail the test again. Her breasts won't explode, the baby won't starve, and it seems like she's gotten plenty of reasonable concessions.

I totally hear ya. I doubt the day will come when a blind physician is able to be a surgeon. I only know of one case where a person was allowed in a US med school who was blind and that was the guy who graduated from Wisconsin. And I read about that case on here somewhere in the preallo forum at some point. He's in a psychiatry residency though.

How can a blind person practice medicine? Even psychiatry. This is coming from someone who has never seen a psychiatrist in action, but I imagine there are certain visual cues that are important for treatment of some patients.

Yeah I know. I found it odd that that guy was admitted to med school being blind but whatever. I bet he had an assistant like this lady to do his path exams for him and the things that required sight. :laugh: :laugh:

I actually saw this person on my unit tonight, but had no opportunity to talk to him. He goes around the hospital with his guide dog, a small sized German Shepard and an RN (who walks with a cane, which in the scheme of things is not a big deal but does look a little odd considering the dog is part of this trio). She finds the chart and, I guess, reads him the progress notes. He must dictate his progress note/orders to her, she writes them and then he signs them (I'm guessing...I only saw them work from afar)

I have conflicting feelings about this. I will also be entering medicine with a "significant" disability. I'm completely deaf in one ear and about 80% deaf in the other. I have a FANTASTIC stethoscope that I have yet to really use. So, on the one hand, it's great to see him in medicine. On the other hand, I look at myself and I KNOW that if I required that level of assistance, I probably would choose and different field, because I would HATE to have to rely on another individual that much to do my job. I will be able to function completely autonomously, and I most likely won't go into surgery, but we'll cross that bridege when we come to it...I know there are such things as transparent OR masks.

I know there are such things as transparent OR masks.

Why would you need these? To read people's lips in the OR?

Wow. That's commendable...but will be tough, since many times you can't keep looking up to "hear" what's being said.

Here's a novel idea - maybe she should spend that time STUDYING so she doesn't fail the test again. Her breasts won't explode, the baby won't starve, and it seems like she's gotten plenty of reasonable concessions.

:laugh: :thumbup:

The washington post article kinda slanted it in favor of the mom at the beginning, but then seemed to point out everything that has already been done for her. I wonder how non-medical pro-breast feeding women are taking it? To be honest, I've never really thought about breast feeding as an issue. I would say I lean towards the feminism side of thinking, but this ranks pretty darn low on my "women's issues list". Sure, breast milk is better b/c antibodies & what not... but formula feeding kids doesn't mean the child is going to be permanently damaged. Eh, I imagine my disinterest comes from the intention to formula feed my kid (s) when I have 'em b/c I just can't see breast feeding with a more-than full time career. Kuddos to those who can find the time, but I can't imagine it's for me.

Test block is next week, thus why I am up at 2am commenting on a now-completed issue. I don't want to study, but typing on SDN somehow counts as not quite procrastinating...

Why would you need these? To read people's lips in the OR?

Wow. That's commendable...but will be tough, since many times you can't keep looking up to "hear" what's being said.

Yeah, that's basically it. I find I "hear" much better if I can see the lips move. Odd, I know, because I talk on the phone all the time without a problem. Having never been in an OR before, I'll just have to experiment and see what works.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's basically it. I find I "hear" much better if I can see the lips move. Odd, I know, because I talk on the phone all the time without a problem. Having never been in an OR before, I'll just have to experiment and see what works.

I have a slight hearing loss and often have trouble hearing in the OR...between the music, the beeps, the drone of the air filter, other people talking, etc. I'm often asking people to repeat themselves.

I've never seen transparent face masks - wouldn't help me because I don't think I could read lips, but sounds like it would be good for you.

He goes around the hospital with his guide dog, a small sized German Shepard and an RN (who walks with a cane, which in the scheme of things is not a big deal but does look a little odd considering the dog is part of this trio). She finds the chart and, I guess, reads him the progress notes. He must dictate his progress note/orders to her, she writes them and then he signs them (I'm guessing...I only saw them work from afar)

It's awesome that they developed a system that works, but where does that RN's salary come from? Isn't it kind of like paying 2 salaries for the work of 1 person?

I've never seen transparent face masks - wouldn't help me because I don't think I could read lips, but sounds like it would be good for you.

Really? I learned how to decently read lips by watching countless in-flight movies without using headphones. I also do this while running on the treadmill at the gym, where all TV shows have closed captioning.

Her blog (https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6987568960235170443&postID=7401874385102638115) sounds like she might be filing for an appeal.

She mentions that her lawyers are working pro-bono and that they have collected letters from 4 (yes, FOUR) women who said they were denied extra time to BF during the exam. She further implies that the NBME has no case because they didn't have any letters from BF mothers so that must mean that no BF mothers who took the test felt comfortable with the time allotted. I didn't realize that the NBME kept records on who is and isn't pumping or BF during their breaks.

Despite her ADHD, she's pretty good at jumping to conclusions isn't she?:rolleyes:

Despite her ADHD, she's pretty good at jumping to conclusions isn't she?

I can't help but think that if she put this much effort into actually studying for the exam, she probably wouldn't have anything to worry about. :rolleyes:

OMG that's the best idea EVER!!! I have to take boards next year (my youngest should be around 3 months old by then, if all goes well) and I'll definitely do that! Thank you thank you thank you. How did I not think about that?

Baby Bop, look at my avatar, obviously I haven't had to do the boards yet, but I did pump at work for a loooong time, and I work with babies, and therefore their moms, so if I may digress from the so-deserved bashing of Dr. Currier and insert reality:

1) set up your pumping schedule the week-2 weeks prior (at least) to your exam to match exam day. If you're nursing during the day, and not pumping, this will be hard to do -so if you're planning on being at home, you may want to plan some excursions to separate from the baby and let someone else stay with him/her, for my son, being in the room while he was hungry and making him wait was....impractical and annoying. Much better to set up dad with a bottle and go out for some independence. Besides, new babies should be shared :)
2) have your pump set up and ready to go -cover the parts that need to stay clean with plastic wrap or ziploc bags- inside a duffle bag that will accomodate it all set up, so all you have to do is pump.
3) think carefully about your clothes, so that you can 1) easily access to pump but 2) be well padded in case you spring a leak. I recommend using the little pads you can insert into a bra and attaching them to the inside of your bra with velcro dots.
4) obviously you can pre-build a supply, this isn't about feeding the baby on exam day as much as it is about not being uncomfortable (though bring ice packs to store milk if you want to use it later). It needn't take more than 20 minutes (10 each side) just to relieve the pressure, if you have everything set up and you know what you're doing.
5) Have the baby as nearby as logistically possible at the end of the exam, so that you can nurse asap when you're done.

Dr. Currier should have gotten herself a lactation consultant instead of a lawyer....

Forgot to mention, ADHD? Good luck in Path looking through boxes and boxes of slides.

Dr. Currier should have gotten herself a lactation consultant instead of a lawyer....

That's a really smart suggestion. Actually, shouldn't that have been her first thought?

I will be able to function completely autonomously, and I most likely won't go into surgery, but we'll cross that bridege when we come to it...I know there are such things as transparent OR masks.

I've never seen transparent masks...and the idea of relying on lip reading in the OR scares me. Since there's so much activity, people rely on yelling things out loud to keep everyone informed of dangerous objects (loose needles, needles being passed back and forth, things that have fallen on the floor, etc.). Good luck with it - let us know how it turns out.

Forgot to mention, ADHD? Good luck in Path looking through boxes and boxes of slides.

Oh, she'll probably just force the hospital to hire someone to look through the slides for her, and she'll just sign the paperwork.

I can't help but think that if she put this much effort into actually studying for the exam, she probably wouldn't have anything to worry about. :rolleyes:

Well, we obviously know that scheduling and organization are not her strong suit...which is a bit strange for a field like Path.

"Uh, yeah Dr. Cox? I'm sorry but that frozen section you sent earlier got mixed up with someone else's...it was negative!"

Sounds like she spent her entire career exploiting the system to get ahead. (she had others take notes for her? Read her textbooks to her??? good god.) At least it finally caught up with her.

Could you imagine your granddad having her as his intern? Or having her read your surgical biopsy?

"Well, I can't be expected to tell if the margins are clean. I have *ADHD*! And I have *dyslexia*! And I have KIDS!!!"

With that kind of inevitable body count, MGH would be shut down just like MLK/Drew by the time she was done with them. :scared:

:laugh: :thumbup:

The washington post article kinda slanted it in favor of the mom at the beginning, but then seemed to point out everything that has already been done for her. I wonder how non-medical pro-breast feeding women are taking it? To be honest, I've never really thought about breast feeding as an issue. I would say I lean towards the feminism side of thinking, but this ranks pretty darn low on my "women's issues list". Sure, breast milk is better b/c antibodies & what not... but formula feeding kids doesn't mean the child is going to be permanently damaged. Eh, I imagine my disinterest comes from the intention to formula feed my kid (s) when I have 'em b/c I just can't see breast feeding with a more-than full time career. Kuddos to those who can find the time, but I can't imagine it's for me.

Test block is next week, thus why I am up at 2am commenting on a now-completed issue. I don't want to study, but typing on SDN somehow counts as not quite procrastinating...

Sigh....okay, pro bf non-medical moms:

Formula vs bf is similar to working vs nonworking in that it's an artificial distinction. First of all, the two are not mutually exclusive terms. You could, as a working mom, breastfeed while you're at home, and have your baby drink formula when you're away. Or you could breastfeed till it just became "too much" and then switch to formula.

Here's why I advise mothers to nurse instead of use formula:
1) I work in a nido, a Montessori infant environment, and we recommend best practices. This includes "breast is best".
2) I'm into eating well. Formula always tastes, smells, and looks the same (it mostly smell pretty nasty, if you ask me). So baby isn't developing a palate. That said, my son's favorite foods are still hot dogs and grilled cheese.
3) My formula fed infants are statistically more likely to have GERD, ear infections, ENT visits, more absences due to illness. Beware, this is a very small population sample (50 students over the past 3 years), and totally non-random. By the time you have kids, there will be more published data about this, but you could google now, if you care. There is a lot of BAD research about breastfeeding, so read the data, some if it is really unprofessional.
4) As a working parent, I was concerned about attachment issues, and nursing was my way of ensuring that I was working at putting in enough time with my son. This was probably totally unnecessary -babies are pretty good at getting your attention, irrespective of whether or not you are their only food source. But it made me feel like a better person, anyhow.
5) Formula is expensive, and we had no money. What can I say, I'm cheap.

How do I feel about moms using formula? Ironically, it's sort of the way I feel about Dr. Currier....you went to all the bother to carry this thing around for 9 months, but you don't want to bother to feed it? Suck it up and finish what you started : ) She went and got herself a PhD and she can't take a stupid exam? C'mon, suck it up, don't be such a wuss. There are a lot of easy outs you can take as a parent, and I have taken some, that just wasn't one of them. I think it would be ok for her to be slightly accomodated (an extra 15 minutes of break time, so maybe she had time to eat?) but 2 days? I'm with Kimberli Cox on that.

I also think that those of us in medicine should follow best practices as it applies to speaking to pts, and part of that, if you'll ever be anywhere near ob/peds/IM/fam med/er, is at least comprehending what breastfeeding actually entails, and what expressing milk entails. It's honestly not that big a deal, assuming you're not contra-indicated for some reason. Once again, Dr. Currier is annoying.

The issue isn't social justice. The issue is that we don't care about your personal life, and we don't want to do extra work to facilitate your life choices. You see, every time a resident takes maternity leave, the patients don't magically get put on hold, they get covered by the residents who aren't pregnant, breast feeding, tending to their emotional needs, finding themselves, etc.

You want a baby? Great, hold off on residency. But don't get pregnant and expect me to do your work for a while, then swoop back in and pick up where you left off. Your baby doesn't concern me, don't make your problem mine.

Please, never marry, have children, illnesses, or personal ties of any kind. And hire an assistant to handle any issues related to your personal possessions, so that doesn't inconvenience us. Right, because, we're not MDs we're what? Priests? Monks?

Any job, anywhere, is going to sometimes suck, because the people you work with are, umm, people, and $hit happens.

I think, ideally, the resident issue could be resolved simply by making maternity leave a full year. Then you could theoretically just replace the pregnant person, beginning with her last trimester, she could come back next year. Men could take a year off too if they wanted to, for similar reasons (eg FMLE type situations).

I am actually very curious to see how she did on her second attempt at this exam, especially when she's been spending so much time complaining and less time studying. I am also interested in the results of the appeal, should she decide to file one. Would the results of the exam just be void? What would happen with her impending residency position at MGH which requires her to be licensed?

I hope she posts all of this on her blog!

Please, never marry, have children, illnesses, or personal ties of any kind. And hire an assistant to handle any issues related to your personal possessions, so that doesn't inconvenience us. Right, because, we're not MDs we're what? Priests? Monks?

Any job, anywhere, is going to sometimes suck, because the people you work with are, umm, people, and $hit happens.

I think, ideally, the resident issue could be resolved simply by making maternity leave a full year. Then you could theoretically just replace the pregnant person, beginning with her last trimester, she could come back next year. Men could take a year off too if they wanted to, for similar reasons (eg FMLE type situations).

He's saying it in a blunt way, but the crux of the issue is that a planned pregnancy in the middle of a clinical year is tough on everyone. I'm not blaming anyway - the mother, father, etc. - but the truth is, people have to pick up the load.

In many of the longer residencies (e.g. General Surgery), people can take time off to go into the lab - so often females residents will "try" to become pregnant then. Unconventional? Sure. Considerate? Yes. Weird to be planning your baby around your job, when viewed by other professions? Maybe.

We have a female resident here who's going to deliver in the next couple months, and she'll then be off for a couple months afterwards on maternity leave. Now I don't know if the pregnancy was planned or not, and certainly no one's faulting her for wanting to become a mother! - but patient care will likely suffer while other residents are scrambling to cover her work/shifts/calls.

I don't want to sound misogynistic or sexist, and I don't have a good solution. But you have to recognize that taking time off for maternity leave in residency, ESPECIALLY a busy one with lots of in-house call, is rough on many of your coworkers. In most other workplaces, the slack gets picked up during workhours - but certainly people aren't expected to pull additional all-nighters!

(And BTW, if they were, you can be damn sure they'd be pushing for time-and-a-half!)

I am actually very curious to see how she did on her second attempt at this exam, especially when she's been spending so much time complaining and less time studying. I am also interested in the results of the appeal, should she decide to file one. Would the results of the exam just be void? What would happen with her impending residency position at MGH which requires her to be licensed?

I hope she posts all of this on her blog!

That's right...she was scheduled to take it on the 15th, right?

Somehow I doubt she will post it if she doesn't pass. Notice how she doesn't comment on losing the case, only when someone accused her of hiring some high priced lawyers did she respond that it was a Pro-Bono case (and she mentions them by name...a little free advert there).

That's right...she was scheduled to take it on the 15th, right?

Somehow I doubt she will post it if she doesn't pass. Notice how she doesn't comment on losing the case, only when someone accused her of hiring some high priced lawyers did she respond that it was a Pro-Bono case (and she mentions them by name...a little free advert there).

Here's the latest Globe report: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/09/20/judge_no_extra_break_for_lactating_exam_taker/

Looks like she is/has filed an appeal and expects to test next week. Now let's see, the Board said no (I trust they checked the applicable laws before they answered) and the MA Superior court said no (I trust they know the law pretty well too). What are the odds that the court of appeals will overturn the lower court's decision? None! What's next, the Supreme court? How about traffic court, moot court, people's court....

I think, ideally, the resident issue could be resolved simply by making maternity leave a full year. Then you could theoretically just replace the pregnant person, beginning with her last trimester, she could come back next year.

I don't understand how this makes things better. Replace the pregnant person with who? :confused: The politics of that situation could be very problematic....

I think, ideally, the resident issue could be resolved simply by making maternity leave a full year.

Woah, hold on there... you can't really be serious.

If you mean simply taking a year off from residency and going back to work a year later, that's one thing.

But if you mean PAID maternity leave for a full year... presumably for each kid you have... um, please tell me you don't mean that?

Here's the latest Globe report: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/09/20/judge_no_extra_break_for_lactating_exam_taker/

Looks like she is/has filed an appeal and expects to test next week. Now let's see, the Board said no (I trust they checked the applicable laws before they answered) and the MA Superior court said no (I trust they know the law pretty well too). What are the odds that the court of appeals will overturn the lower court's decision? None! What's next, the Supreme court? How about traffic court, moot court, people's court....

Thanks...yes it does look like she's taking it on Mon and Tues next week; for some reason I thought it was on the 15th.:confused:

Umm he's already married to a nurse i believe. LOL

I actually saw this person on my unit tonight, but had no opportunity to talk to him. He goes around the hospital with his guide dog, a small sized German Shepard and an RN (who walks with a cane, which in the scheme of things is not a big deal but does look a little odd considering the dog is part of this trio). She finds the chart and, I guess, reads him the progress notes. He must dictate his progress note/orders to her, she writes them and then he signs them (I'm guessing...I only saw them work from afar)

I have conflicting feelings about this. I will also be entering medicine with a "significant" disability. I'm completely deaf in one ear and about 80% deaf in the other. I have a FANTASTIC stethoscope that I have yet to really use. So, on the one hand, it's great to see him in medicine. On the other hand, I look at myself and I KNOW that if I required that level of assistance, I probably would choose and different field, because I would HATE to have to rely on another individual that much to do my job. I will be able to function completely autonomously, and I most likely won't go into surgery, but we'll cross that bridege when we come to it...I know there are such things as transparent OR masks.

The guide dog thing isn't as unusual as it seems. I once knew a paraplegic that worked as some sort of counselor or something on the Physical Med and Rehab team who was in an automated wheel chair and had to have the dog around for him too. It worked well for him. Furthermore, dogs are often used in various nursing homes and hospitals as pet therapy and are not that odd to find in such settings to help either patients or disabled workers. I had a classmate who had some walking problem (not in a wheel chair but his legs were somewhat messed up so he had a dog to help guide him around too and would bring it to class and everywhere. For a while he had this thing that moved automatically that was like a wheel chair in that it moved you around, only difference was you stood on it and directed it rather then sat and directed it. But he stopped bringing that after awhile and just brought the dog.

Thanks...yes it does look like she's taking it on Mon and Tues next week; for some reason I thought it was on the 15th.:confused:

No, you're right. The early news reports said the 15th. Either the papers got the story wrong or she moved her test date because of the court decision. Why doesn't she just ask her residency director to give her another extension.....oh yeah, because the patients and the hospital depend on her.

For a while he had this thing that moved automatically that was like a wheel chair in that it moved you around, only difference was you stood on it and directed it rather then sat and directed it.

Segway_3.jpg
?

No, you're right. The early news reports said the 15th. Either the papers got the story wrong or she moved her test date because of the court decision. Why doesn't she just ask her residency director to give her another extension.....oh yeah, because the patients and the hospital depend on her.

Thanks...I thought I was going crazy because I was thinking about her on the 15th and wondering how it was going!:laugh:

It's awesome that they developed a system that works, but where does that RN's salary come from? Isn't it kind of like paying 2 salaries for the work of 1 person?

That part I don't know, but I did think about that as well when I saw them

That's a really smart suggestion. Actually, shouldn't that have been her first thought?

I've never seen transparent masks...and the idea of relying on lip reading in the OR scares me. Since there's so much activity, people rely on yelling things out loud to keep everyone informed of dangerous objects (loose needles, needles being passed back and forth, things that have fallen on the floor, etc.). Good luck with it - let us know how it turns out.

Thanks, I will. Like I've said, I have yet to even be in an OR for anything, so I have no idea what it will be like. Based on what you say, sound like it'll much like the intensive care unit I work on when we're busy and I make it through that. Only difference is that nobody's wearing a mask!

Night court? :D;)

The guide dog thing isn't as unusual as it seems. I once knew a paraplegic that worked as some sort of counselor or something on the Physical Med and Rehab team who was in an automated wheel chair and had to have the dog around for him too. It worked well for him. Furthermore, dogs are often used in various nursing homes and hospitals as pet therapy and are not that odd to find in such settings to help either patients or disabled workers. I had a classmate who had some walking problem (not in a wheel chair but his legs were somewhat messed up so he had a dog to help guide him around too and would bring it to class and everywhere. For a while he had this thing that moved automatically that was like a wheel chair in that it moved you around, only difference was you stood on it and directed it rather then sat and directed it. But he stopped bringing that after awhile and just brought the dog.

Oh, no I have no problem with the dog, I'm sure the dog isn't getting paid. It was the RN who assists him...I would hate to have to depend on another person that much to do my day to day job. And I can't imagine this is her ideal job, either, but what do I know? I don't know the sum total of their relationship...

5) Formula is expensive, and we had no money. What can I say, I'm cheap.

How do I feel about moms using formula? Ironically, it's sort of the way I feel about Dr. Currier....you went to all the bother to carry this thing around for 9 months, but you don't want to bother to feed it? Suck it up and finish what you started : ) She went and got herself a PhD and she can't take a stupid exam? C'mon, suck it up, don't be such a wuss. There are a lot of easy outs you can take as a parent, and I have taken some, that just wasn't one of them.

#5 is by far your best argument :laugh:. I'm cheap, too. I hadn't even thought of that, actually and that may be a strong enough motivating factor for me to do so!

I disagree with your opinion about not breast feeding as a cop-out. The idea of breast-feeding just really doesn't appeal to me. There are other things about becoming a mom that don't appeal to me (i.e. stretch marks, weight gain, pain...), but those are pretty much unavoidable, to an extent. BF is avoidable, and I doubt that I will consider myself less of a mother (nor will I be less of a mother) for not doing it.

All that being said, I don't inted to have kids for ~6 years (I'm an MSI). So, who knows how I'll feel 6 years from now? Plus the $$$ thing is a d@mn good point.

Woah, hold on there... you can't really be serious.

If you mean simply taking a year off from residency and going back to work a year later, that's one thing.

But if you mean PAID maternity leave for a full year... presumably for each kid you have... um, please tell me you don't mean that?

:eek: Oh, no way! What I'm saying is, let's say you did bother to plan...you do your PGY-1, or 2, etc, get pregnant sometime during that year. At the end of that year (eg, summer) you stop working if you are indeed pregnant, and do not start PGY-2, 3, etc, until the following year, UNPAID, you take a year off. By close of PGY-1, you could theoretically moonlight a little or something to make some cash, but you would not actually be a resident who needs to be there.

As far as replacements, if it were at close of intern year, I imagine with many residencies there would be some hope of finding a candidate who had done a transitional year. If residents can take leave to do research, or an away rotation, or mission work, or what have you, it seems like you could find someone, though I'm sure for some programs that wouldn't work well.

At least with pregnancy (as opposed to say, suddenly being diagnosed with cancer), you do know far in advance that you will need time, it seems like a bunch of intelligent, reasonable people could sit down and figure out the most workable plan for their program.

don't want to sound misogynistic or sexist, and I don't have a good solution. But you have to recognize that taking time off for maternity leave in residency, ESPECIALLY a busy one with lots of in-house call, is rough on many of your coworkers. In most other workplaces, the slack gets picked up during workhours - but certainly people aren't expected to pull additional all-nighters!

I do recognize it, that's why I've already done my maternity leave as a pre-med ;) This is all basically a pointless conversation anyhow, as residents being "employees" (as opposed to slaves, which seems like the better term from my outsider POV), are entitled to FMLA, so everyone is stuck in that system, regardless of how poor a fit it is.

:eek: Oh, no way! What I'm saying is, let's say you did bother to plan...you do your PGY-1, or 2, etc, get pregnant sometime during that year. At the end of that year (eg, summer) you stop working if you are indeed pregnant, and do not start PGY-2, 3, etc, until the following year, UNPAID, you take a year off. By close of PGY-1, you could theoretically moonlight a little or something to make some cash, but you would not actually be a resident who needs to be there.

As far as replacements, if it were at close of intern year, I imagine with many residencies there would be some hope of finding a candidate who had done a transitional year. If residents can take leave to do research, or an away rotation, or mission work, or what have you, it seems like you could find someone, though I'm sure for some programs that wouldn't work well.

At least with pregnancy (as opposed to say, suddenly being diagnosed with cancer), you do know far in advance that you will need time, it seems like a bunch of intelligent, reasonable people could sit down and figure out the most workable plan for their program.

Taking just one year off would really mess with your program. It's not like they could pick up a PGY-2 for just a year. In addition, if you wanted to return as a PGY-2 that would require an opening in the class behind you, which may or may not happen depending on the program. It's not like programs can arbitrarily add a spot for you in this situation - the number of spots each program has each year is regulated. Also if you were in a busy program and they didn't replace you, your classmates are now stuck with a much-increased workload. Whether it's right or not that they resent you for that, you are certainly NOT going to be very popular when you return.

Obviously you are entitled to whatever the FMLA (family and medical leave act or some similar thing) says you are, but taking more than a certain number of weeks off can mean that you are required to repeat the year to be eligible to sit for your boards.

I dont understand this at all. I understand people with ADHD being given extra time on the SATs, or even the MCATs.

But on a medical liscnsure exam? That makes no sense. Being able to do things quickly is a requirements in almost every field of medicine. You dont get extra time to interpret a STAT lab or decide what to do with your coding patient. "Oh, im sorry I couldnt save your husband. My dyslexia made it hard to read my copy of the ACLS guide"

Question: if she already has a residency match, what kind of Step 2 score does she need? Will she lose her spot if she does poorly? Does she just need a passing score?

Question: if she already has a residency match, what kind of Step 2 score does she need? Will she lose her spot if she does poorly? Does she just need a passing score?

She said in some of the original articles that all she needs to do is pass.