New grad salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then they make up for the cost of the fish by charging more for the drinks and fries

That's what the $1 medium fry coupon is for. Any size drink has been $1 forever.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What? I asked what other jobs besides pharmacy we can do that pays $40/hr.

"We"= you and I. I Don't know about you, but I have had other work in life. It may take training and skill to achieve an $80 k a year salary, but so did getting the pharmd and license. Survivors adapt, losers can literally die in life. If I am a the squirrel living in an oak tree that dies, I am not going to sit around paralyzed thinking where am I going to get my acorns, I am going to find a new food source.

You're reply makes me think of the Pearl Jam lyrics "can't find a better man" Its how the abused think. I remember a past pharmacy manager telling me that he had talked the dm and the dm made the point of telling him that the rph market had changed. They liked to play mind games. To which i replied i only need one job.

Reactions: 1 user
What? I asked what other jobs besides pharmacy we can do that pays $40/hr.

If you want some specific examples, try postal carrier (with ot easily exceed 80k) but have to work up thru temp, physical work, USPS bureaucracy. And wac Arnold's manager (ode to Dave Chappelle)

Members don't see this ad :)
"We"= you and I. I Don't know about you, but I have had other work in life. It may take training and skill to achieve an $80 k a year salary, but so did getting the pharmd and license. Survivors adapt, losers can literally die in life. If I am a the squirrel living in an oak tree that dies, I am not going to sit around paralyzed thinking where am I going to get my acorns, I am going to find a new food source.

You're reply makes me think of the Pearl Jam lyrics "can't find a better man" Its how the abused think. I remember a past pharmacy manager telling me that he had talked the dm and the dm made the point of telling him that the rph market had changed. They liked to play mind games. To which i replied i only need one job.

I have no idea what you're talking about guy.

@mentos has a good point. There aren't much we can do as a pharmacist that pays as well as being a pharmacist. There are outliers in pharmacy profession besides hospital, retail, ltc ect such as industry but those are very rare to come by especially when there is so much saturation in the profession.

It is true that big chains figured out a way to profit way more than they're supposed to by funding new schools and ignoring pharmacy laws or finding loop holes but we shouldn't just throw our hands up and say, "That's it. There is nothing we can do." and find another profession. There are 300,000 pharmacists in the nation. We are all in the same boat. We should fight to get our profession back. That starts with making sure that we are paid for what we are worth.

Reactions: 1 users
For the pharmacist who measures job dissatisfaction by suicides. Each year, an entire med school class worth of physicians commits suicide

@mentos has a good point. There aren't much we can do as a pharmacist that pays as well as being a pharmacist. There are outliers in pharmacy profession besides hospital, retail, ltc ect such as industry but those are very rare to come by especially when there is so much saturation in the profession.

It is true that big chains figured out a way to profit way more than they're supposed to by funding new schools and ignoring pharmacy laws or finding loop holes but we shouldn't just throw our hands up and say, "That's it. There is nothing we can do." and find another profession. There are 300,000 pharmacists in the nation. We are all in the same boat. We should fight to get our profession back. That starts with making sure that we are paid for what we are worth.
I would agree that there is limited application of a pharmacist license, but at the same time it is not the sum total of who I am. If you pigeon hole yourself, you limit your options. I might be a pharmacist now, but I am a hardworking, law abiding American first.

The war has already been lost. It should have been fought in 2006 when there was a shortage of pharmacists.

Your pharmacist skill and knowledge is not really transferable.

I am not going to coding school or go back to school and become a nurse or a PA. Those days are long gone.

I saw it coming and invested heavily.

I have already made some money in stocks and my rental properties will provide some monthly income. I can also do a cash out refinance and take out the appreciation when needed. I am not saying every pharmacist should buy rental properties tho. It is not for everyone. You have to do your own research and know how much risk you can take especially when you don’t have a back stop like a 9-5 job if something does happen.
Not sure if any medical professional's skill sets or knowledge are transferable. Dentists, doctors, especially surgeons, optometrist, chiropractor, etc can't really work anywhere else except for in their own professional settings. Maybe nurses, lawyers can go into a completely different field than they originally intended. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Not sure if any medical professional's skill sets or knowledge are transferable. Dentists, doctors, especially surgeons, optometrist, chiropractor, etc can't really work anywhere else except for in their own professional settings. Maybe nurses, lawyers can go into a completely different field than they originally intended. Correct me if i'm wrong.

None of those fields are as saturated as pharmacy so they don't need to worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctors, nurses and PAs have broad enough skillsets/scope of practice that they can get into any emerging healthcare related-job (for example health tech startups). They can make the jump because the customers of health tech/digital health technology usually involves enhancing what providers/prescribers do so it makes sense for a tech company to hire clinicians who can develop appropriate use cases for their products. Contrast that to optometrists (eyes), chiropractors (pain), pharmacists (drugs) or dentists (teeth) who each only see a sliver of the bigger healthcare picture so application of their "skillsets" are much more limited. Now, am I saying that optometrists can't work in a tech startup developing eyeware related to healthcare, or that a dentist can't work in a company that manufactures new/better technology to do root canals or take x-rays? Not at all. But in each of these "other" healthcare professions, the non-traditional application of their skillset is to work in an environment where they would develop products or services to help enhance the services of their own kind who are working the front lines. Well all of them except pharmacy, because pharmacists do not carry any authority or offer any services that need "augmenting" by others. Want to argue for wearable insulin devices? Well it's the physician who you're marketing the product to, not the pharmacist. Bigger and better robots for pill-counting? Well it's corporate MBAs that you're selling your product to, not pharmacists. The only thing I can think of that brings "value" to pharmacists on the front lines are things like DUR messaging/alerts but the value of that product can't really be quantified so there's not going to be a "need" for pharmacists in this area.

the value of that product can't really be quantified so there's not going to be a "need"

Sums it up nicely. Our profession is bad and we should feel bad.

My old 401k is still at 7% ytd loss
My current is all stock and also 7% loss

You must be in actively managed mutual funds like @wazoodog coz index is back on all time high. He gonna pay millions for his "advisor" to lose money

What funds do you have? My old 401k had way too much small cap and mid caps. Moved it all over to large caps and I'm down 3% from the Feb high.

My new 401k was similar but is now 3% up YTD.

I don't know. I have a CFA, he manages it. My kids' 529 are up 8% as is my old IRA though, which he also manages. They have had returns over 10% since I opened them. My current 401k is through my current employer. I don't have the energy to gain the knowledge to do it myself.

Moving around just before an election is almost not ever a good idea...But then I wandered into ...oh..forget it..

Moving around just before an election is almost not ever a good idea...But then I wandered into ...oh..forget it..

A lot of people seem to be cashing out last week. With 7 red days in a row, can you blame them?

A lot of people seem to be cashing out last week. With 7 red days in a row, can you blame them?

Risk off ahead of an election is standard, I think once a winner is definitive (either party), markets will rise.