New grad salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can't take anything personally, and learn to be satisfied by basking in the failures of both management and the chain itself.

I'd include failures of society and humanity

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone learn to code? I am thinking about learn Python. Any thoughts on being a coder as a side hustle?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you will be informed or they will have in the posting that the position is temporary. Hourly pharmacists won't be terminated after 180 days. I'm pretty sure they wil mention temporary in the job offer letter too.

On another note, here’s what I found posted today.

50ACEAFE-A5C3-45E9-B4EB-4CBB131AA6F7.png

Read this whole post

Let’s just be honest - retail pharmacy is horrible in ways that you will only understand if you find yourself in that position behind the counter. The only people who I truly know understand what I have gone through working retail are people like the ones reading this post.

I truly have had better days in retail pharmacy - once upon a time i was a PIC and I had a crew of 8 well trained technicians, and 2 reliable pharmacists that I could always depend on having things under control. We would crush about 400-500 Rx daily without much turbulence. However, these days this sort of situation is very rare. We would do 400-500 Rx with one pharmacist, and 5 eight hour techs in 11 hours. It was 4 days on and 3 days off.. honestly it was great

Then my company went out of business and I went to work at Wags. I think what I hated the most was about 10pm every night when the impending doom of having to do it all over again started to set in. Then the drive to work in the morning when I would start ruminating in who would call in today and how bad it would get... I would realize how many gaps in training existed in the many part time/unreliable help we had and how difficult these gaps were to fill.

How terrible it was to see the insurance rejection que pile up and no one really knew how to make it all work. It’s a terrible joke to look at the software at a place like Walgreens and have to make sense of all the bleeps and bloops of a dinosaur program. And the damn rejection codes that the insurance company sends - they may as well send Chinese symbols back to us... how the hell are we supposed to explain to a damn customer why their insurance rejected a medication when the message sent back goes something like “code pinto 763 user spanksalot” - am I then supposed to take that code and go tell customer that they are spanking it too much so their insurance won’t pay for it?? If that last part made absolutely no sense - that is how I feel about handing insurance rejections. If any sort of reform needs to be done, there needs to be more responsibility put on the insurance companies to explain to their customers why they won’t pay for something. Not us... anyways I have gone off the deep end.

I walked from that job 3 weeks in. I’ll never do that again even if it means I have to work outside of pharmacy. I’ll never let myself be taken advantage of in such a gross way again.

I am a little surprised by this. The vibe I was getting from your posts is that you were still able to tolerate your job. I didn't realize it was Wags though. I walked away a bit longer than that and it took forever to find anything in the area. Thankfully pandemic unemployment helped.

Also surprised that Xenophylia is also on the verge of pulling the plug considering it is overnight LTC.

Invest in the suburbs. Single family home that cash flow well.

Assuming you still have a good pharmacist salary, banks would let you buy rentals if your debt to income is low and you can put down 25%.
Agreed, can't go wrong with single family homes. More reliable renters, there will always be families who need housing. They do a decent job at maintaining the property. Charge a separate deposit for pets and you're golden, trust me on this. You WILL require professional cleaning services once they move out and this is assuming there isn't damage; so ask for deposit accordingly.

Aren't people moving out of California? I heard here is a great exodus in LA and SF. Maybe this would a good time for pharmacists to leave Cali as well.
Sadly, for every 1 person leaving, there are 2 entering.

Yes, CVS is stressing that these jobs are Sept/Oct only. I think it is to put some pressure on floaters because my state is at will employment anyway. If you never worked for CVS and coming in for just 2 months with their 40 hours of 'training,' how quickly can you really catch on? Basically they think it will be cheaper to send in temps for 4 hours a day versus doing clinics at random places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Have to keep looking and keep applying.

Does anyone know actual profit margin on a flu shot at CVS/Wags?

Yes, CVS is stressing that these jobs are Sept/Oct only. I think it is to put some pressure on floaters because my state is at will employment anyway. If you never worked for CVS and coming in for just 2 months with their 40 hours of 'training,' how quickly can you really catch on? Basically they think it will be cheaper to send in temps for 4 hours a day versus doing clinics at random places.
Pretty soon most pharmacist jobs will become 100% seasonal jobs, just like Amazon warehouse jobs during Christmas season or travel/hospitality workers on cruise ships in the spring/summer. Temporary mass hiring of flu shot pharmacists in Q4, and temporary mass hiring of prior authorization pharmacists in Q1. Unemployment for the rest of year.

Except there will be 200 applicants for every temp position posted and these seasonal jobs won't be able to accomodate for even 10% of the available labor out there.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
That bay area pay is extremely low as it is expensive to live thede
It makes me wonder how do McDonalds and other fast food chains even survive in the bay area? You can sell as many $1 McChickens as you like but it's probably not even going to cover your rent?

It makes me wonder how do McDonalds and other fast food chains even survive in the bay area? You can sell as many $1 McChickens as you like but it's probably not even going to cover your rent?

Please don't go there. You'll get Hedgehog to chime in again.

Because software development is such a bad alternative to a career that requires most of its graduates to relocate to rural areas just to find a retail job, right? In that case, why did your brother do a coding bootcamp and not follow in your footsteps to become a pharmacist?

Oh, you can retire then. You are working only to pay his taxes.
No, the tech bros are going to get their taste of 2000 soon if not already. You both need to work, put away what you can while you can for when either of you get an involuntary leave of absence.

Because software development is such a bad alternative to a career that requires most of its graduates to relocate to rural areas just to find a retail job, right? In that case, why did your brother do a coding bootcamp and not follow in your footsteps to become a pharmacist?

I never said that it was a bad alternative. I'm just tired of hearing your repetitive rants about pharmacy being terrible/you can't find a job/you want to do coding.

Reactions: 1 users
I never said that it was a bad alternative. I'm just tired of hearing your repetitive rants about pharmacy being terrible/you can't find a job/you want to do coding.

In that case, don't make it a point to reach out to too many recent graduates then (including those who just finished residency programs)

In that case, why did your brother do a coding bootcamp and not follow in your footsteps to become a pharmacist?

Probably because my brother always wants to take shortcuts in the hopes of making money. He did his coding boot camp and now has to work at a restaurant because there are little to no junior developer jobs in this area. First he got a sound engineer cert and never did anything with it. Got a two year degree in culinary arts, worked at restaurants. He then left that profession, attended Full Sail for some sort of video game development degree and never did anything with it. Now he did his coding boot camp and still can't find a job.

Probably because my brother always wants to take shortcuts in the hopes of making money. He did his coding boot camp and now has to work at a restaurant because there are little to no junior developer jobs in this area. First he got a sound engineer cert and never did anything with it. Got a two year degree in culinary arts, worked at restaurants. He then left that profession, attended Full Sail for some sort of video game development degree and never did anything with it. Now he did his coding boot camp and still can't find a job.

He doesn't want to move? It's not like taking the non-shortcut route (pharmacy in this case) would've put him in a better position. At least he stands a chance of getting a software developer job in a decent medium-sized city somewhere, as compared to the BFE hellscapes he'd likely be faced with having to move to had he picked pharmacy instead.

I was even ok with giving up “the good old days” and having to hit the grindstone a little harder. I started pharmacy in 2009, so I was at the Tail end of the golden age. The problem is that “they” have gone entirely too far. It’s become a frightful nightmare of which no one should experience. It’s almost become an impossibility.

I can not tell you what to do with your retirement - however, i would say that the real pharmacists who have learned how to truly run a professional retail pharmacy are leaving retail to its demise.

I started the same year. It is the people our age that really got the raw end of the deal. Got into pharmacy school while it was booming and they just started opening up all the schools. Got out at the tail end of being able to get full time employment but never got to see the golden years and have 30+ years left. The people that got in school 2015 later should have easily seen writing on wall. Especially all the people in 17 and later after Kroger did nationwide hour cut and hiring freeze and all other companies started laying people off.

Those that graduated by 2010 still enjoyed sign on bonuses and great conditions for a few years. IF they were smart they leveraged into hospital/clinical.

Are the prices the same in the Bay Area? And many people commute there. Volume

The McChicken hasn't been on the dollar menu in years. It's now the $1/$2/$3 dollar menu.

Are the prices the same in the Bay Area? And many people commute there. Volume
Should be. The great part about fast food chains (to the consumer) is that prices are pretty standardized across the country so it's "affordable." Only places I've seen fast food prices to be different are in airports and at Vegas.

The McChicken hasn't been on the dollar menu in years. It's now the $1/$2/$3 dollar menu.
But as a $1 item, no? Point is, I'm just failing to see how McDonalds are even profitable in HCOL areas where you're paying 3-5x rent and 50% higher salaries (what's the minimum wage in the bay area? Like $12-15?) while keeping menu prices the same.

You can get a dollar chicken sandwich on the app pretty often though as a special.

Limit is 1 though so you only save 29 cents and you can only do one deal at a time. Best value is large fries for $1, or $2 off $10.

I used to live on 3 McChickens for $3, those were the days.

Limit is 1 though so you only save 29 cents and you can only do one deal at a time. Best value is large fries for $1, or $2 off $10.

I used to live on 3 McChickens for $3, those were the days.

I never use the $2 off $10 b/c I never spend $10. Large fry for $1 is sweet though.

I never use the $2 off $10 b/c I never spend $10. Large fry for $1 is sweet though.

What about two years ago when McDonald’s first started rolling out their app and to incentivize people to use it, they gave away free Big Macs(and later free Frappes) with any purchase $1 or more. Those were the golden days.

Edit: might have been more like 4 years ago. How time flies.

Pre-COVID era I could sit down and eat 5 mcchickens in a single sitting.

These days I’m too skiddish to eat fast food. I would rather not get the Rona

I started the same year. It is the people our age that really got the raw end of the deal. Got into pharmacy school while it was booming and they just started opening up all the schools. Got out at the tail end of being able to get full time employment but never got to see the golden years and have 30+ years left. The people that got in school 2015 later should have easily seen writing on wall. Especially all the people in 17 and later after Kroger did nationwide hour cut and hiring freeze and all other companies started laying people off.

Those that graduated by 2010 still enjoyed sign on bonuses and great conditions for a few years. IF they were smart they leveraged into hospital/clinical.

Raw deal is a relative term. The worst period was the late 70s and then early 90s where very similar situations occurred. It was bad enough that pharmacists UNIONIZED. You all are a long way from being mistreated that badly. I'm not saying that you don't have a raw deal, but it's all relative. It's only when you start seeing suicides and early mortality (early 90s), becoming an illegal drug dealer or launderer (70s) that it's the raw end. The stress was so bad that several of my father's classmates committed suicide in their 40s and 50s and of that particular grouping of Temple students, many stopped being in the profession or died early from stress related disorders as well as became brave and got themselves fired over labor demonstrations. That's a raw deal, when you have to campaign for a bad job.

It's not good, but you're still working so it isn’t anywhere near bad. Bad starts when you can't find a job. That day will come, but we've endured much worse in this profession. Until pharmacists start dying, I don't believe in a raw deal. Those pharmacists who did insulin, Tuinal, or just hung themselves to avoid another day at RiteAid or Revco for $55k in today’s money while their peers liked it, that’s a raw deal.

That day will come, and it depresses me to hell that I’ll live to see it.

Raw deal is a relative term. The worst period was the late 70s and then early 90s where very similar situations occurred. It was bad enough that pharmacists UNIONIZED. You all are a long way from being mistreated that badly. I'm not saying that you don't have a raw deal, but it's all relative. It's only when you start seeing suicides and early mortality (early 90s), becoming an illegal drug dealer or launderer (70s) that it's the raw end. The stress was so bad that several of my father's classmates committed suicide in their 40s and 50s and of that particular grouping of Temple students, many stopped being in the profession or died early from stress related disorders as well as became brave and got themselves fired over labor demonstrations. That's a raw deal, when you have to campaign for a bad job.

It's not good, but you're still working so it isn’t anywhere near bad. Bad starts when you can't find a job. That day will come, but we've endured much worse in this profession. Until pharmacists start dying, I don't believe in a raw deal. Those pharmacists who did insulin, Tuinal, or just hung themselves to avoid another day at RiteAid or Revco for $55k in today’s money while their peers liked it, that’s a raw deal.

When was the last time you worked at wallgreens or cvs? Be honest

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
But as a $1 item, no? Point is, I'm just failing to see how McDonalds are even profitable in HCOL areas where you're paying 3-5x rent and 50% higher salaries (what's the minimum wage in the bay area? Like $12-15?) while keeping menu prices the same.
In different places, the pricing is different. McDonald's has regional pricing. And now youre making me HUNGRY

In different places, the pricing is different. McDonald's has regional pricing. And now youre making me HUNGRY
Non-coupon deals like 2 for $5 Filet-O-Fish sandwiches aren't regionally priced though

They have those family meal deals that you can use the $2 off $10 coupon with. I got 2 cheeseburgers, 2 medium fries and 20 piece chicken nuggets for $8 (normally $10).

• Wow
I am really hungry now and scared AF of ever having to work in a pharmacy again. I found it soul crushing before our society was such a dumpster fire and hydrocodone was on the fast mover shelf. I'd die now. I just hope my 401k will rebound before that happens.

This thread makes me want to cash it all out and go to Costa Rica or something. YOLO unless you're a retail pharmacist in 2020 and it sounds like you live the same hellish day on repeat.

I definitely am ignorant of the past pre late 90s.

I will say i personally know 1 and have friends that know at least 4 suicides in past several years. All but one under 40

• Care
I am really hungry now and scared AF of ever having to work in a pharmacy again. I found it soul crushing before our society was such a dumpster fire and hydrocodone was on the fast mover shelf. I'd die now. I just hope my 401k will rebound before that happens.

This thread makes me want to cash it all out and go to Costa Rica or something. YOLO unless you're a retail pharmacist in 2020 and it sounds like you live the same hellish day on repeat.
401k is back to all time high.