Neuro question! please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofT-Girl

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me answer this question for an exam i have coming up! (I'm a pre-med!)

Someone with complete blockage of the middle cerebral artery would have:
1. difficulty hearing
2. diffficulty in feeling and moving toes
3. area 17 would still be spared
4. should have difficulty in feeling/moving parts of their face
5. area 41 would be damaged

Which one is FALSE???

If anyone can help, i would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone can help me answer this question for an exam i have coming up! (I'm a pre-med!)

Someone with complete blockage of the middle cerebral artery would have:
1. difficulty hearing
2. diffficulty in feeling and moving toes
3. area 17 would still be spared
4. should have difficulty in feeling/moving parts of their face
5. area 41 would be damaged

Which one is FALSE???

If anyone can help, i would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!

THANKS!

I would probably pick Answer #1

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I would probably go with # 2, since the anterior cerebral artery (rather than the middle cerebral artery) supplies the motor and sensory cortex that corresponds to the lower extremities on the homunculus. The Heschl's gyrus, in the temporal lobe, which is the primary auditory area, is in the middle cerebral artery territory, so occlusion of that vessel would still cause some hearing loss (though not complete due to bilateral representation).

Amswer #1 is correct.

Since the question refers to a complete middle cerebral artery (MCA) occlusion (i.e, a "stem" infarction), #1 would indeed be the best answer after all. The "arm greater than leg involvement" localization refers to a cortical infarction that, in this case, would require selective involvement of the superior divison on the MCA. A complete MCA occlusion would cause a dense hemiparesis that affected the face, arm and leg equally, due to subcortical involvement (in particular, the perforators to the internal capsule). Hearing has bilateral representation, so while not completely unaffected, is probably the best answer.